• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosher

I bought all the miracles, guess I shouldn't have. She showed up hollow in the Duke's prison, but I wanted that pendant for... whatever it does.

Only way to get pendant is for Petrus to kill her and she'll leave it behind in the church. Only time Petrus will assassinate her is if you haven't talked to her yet in Undead Parish after saving her. If you talk to her before going to at least 2 other places after saving her, Petrus basically gets too scared of killing her, and she'll be there forever...until you buy all her limited items, at which point she goes hollow somehow and ends up in Duke's prison.

theta11

I bought all the miracles, guess I shouldn't have. She showed up hollow in the Duke's prison, but I wanted that pendant for... whatever it does.

To get Petrus to kill her you need Lautrec to give you the hint that Petrus abandoned the Maiden in the Tomb. After that you can confront Petrus about leaving her and he goes all evil. Once you rescue her he says some more evil things then he kills her shortly after she arrives at the Undead Parish altar.

Thats the only thing way I've got the event.

You can also farm red chunks (and slabs) from the chaos demons (octopus-heads) in Lost Izalith, where Siegmeyer's quest ends up.

Also, dunno why you think you can't farm in the Kiln if you're low-level. The Black Knights are ridiculously easy and can be chain back-stabbed.

i mean, i don't feel confident at level 38 to go and unlock all the areas (i did beat Four Kings alone just now though). i probably could do it, but i'll wait until i feel like leveling up (which will be weeks lol).. will be more fun to tackle the later areas when i decide to make myself more powerful. right now i want to stay at this level so i can help people beat Blighttown, Depths, Anor Londo etc.

but hmm Lost Izalith, i might be able to go there, i beat Ceaseless Discharge and the Taurus mob in Demon Ruins. and the Capras don't seem too hard, just annoying to lure them out one by one and trying not to get 1-hit killed...

and i don't even know who the hell Siegmeyer is lol. how do people know any of the character names anyway?? they're never shown! i talk to that Onion armor dude and his name is nowhere to be seen, ever... same with others.

EasyMode

Thanks guys, I think I'll be able to get that pendant next time.

and i don't even know who the hell Siegmeyer is lol. how do people know any of the character names anyway?? they're never shown! i talk to that Onion armor dude and his name is nowhere to be seen, ever... same with others.

Seigmeyer is the Onion knight, he introduces himself. It would be nice if they showed the character's name when speaking though. Did you already get the red chunk from the Great Hollow that I mentioned?

Wool

Is grave lord sword toxin useful for PvP?

I haven't used it in PVP myself, but it seems pretty damn good. I've been toxic-ed (is there a word for this?) a couple times and then I just had to get really aggressive because I was going to die pretty quickly from it. Even if people carry the moss in the quick slot, I can't imagine they'd have enough time to use it without just getting hit more.

Numpt3

Went to the depths and made it to the boss. I was like ohh small crocodile like creature shouldn't be too hard. Then he finished coming out of the water and I thought fuuuu
Lol, that's the exact reaction I had.

Can anyone with the 360 version say wether the patch has improved the online?

TheFatOne

Lol go back to the tutorial area and get the Rusty Iron Ring so you can run in the swamp. Area is easy/fast. I don't even mind the framerate anymore.

Fuuuu no way I can run all the way back. I'm too damn far into this place :( Wish I knew about the ring before I went into the depths.

tokkun

So one thing I am noticing after about 2 hours of invasion in 1.05 is that I'm getting far, far less souls from killing other players. It would not be unusual to get 50K souls from one kill before. Now I'm lucky to get more than 1K. You pretty much always lose souls when using a cracked red eye orb now.

Zzoram

So one thing I am noticing after about 2 hours of invasion in 1.05 is that I'm getting far, far less souls from killing other players. It would not be unusual to get 50K souls from one kill before. Now I'm lucky to get more than 1K. You pretty much always lose souls when using a cracked red eye orb now.

Maybe it's because people aren't camping around duping souls and humanity now that they fixed the glitch, so you're much less likely to encounter people with tons of souls walking around in human form.

Is the bonfire near the Crystal Caves entrance (inside the archives, but close to that field) warp-able? I want to visit the blacksmith but I'd hate to have to trudge all the way back here.

Is the bonfire near the Crystal Caves entrance (inside the archives, but close to that field) warp-able? I want to visit the blacksmith but I'd hate to have to trudge all the way back here.

No but you can warp to another bonfire and use a homeward bone to get back. As long as you don't actually rest at another bonfire it will take you back to it.

Thanks guys, I think I'll be able to get that pendant next time.

Seigmeyer is the Onion knight, he introduces himself. It would be nice if they showed the character's name when speaking though. Did you already get the red chunk from the Great Hollow that I mentioned?

hah, ohh he is Seigmeyer :D he's funny. i've talked to him at Sen's and Anor Londo, and now he's hanging out at Firelink. i hope i don't mess up his quest... although i'm sure i will, somehow. since i have no clue what to do with him.

red chunk from Great Hollow... hmm i'm pretty sure i got it, i cleaned that place pretty good. a couple geckos got away too many times though, and won't respawn anymore :(

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

Nope. You could run back to the blacksmith and then Homeward bone your way back.

tokkun

Maybe it's because people aren't camping around duping souls and humanity now that they fixed the glitch, so you're much less likely to encounter people with tons of souls walking around in human form.

It's also possible that people are spending all their souls on Twinkling, so they carry less around.

Still it seems weird. I killed someone who was obviously a high level player since he tried using both White Dragon Breath and Sunlight Spear against me, and got less than 500 souls.

one85x

Wow, they reduced the HP of the Balder Knights in the church (one swipe from the Drake sword kills them) and you get more xp for killing them.

How should I modify my +10 Hollow Soldier Shield, if at all? I can currently make it a Crystal Ring Shield, a Greatshield of Artorias, a Lightning Hollow Soldier Shield, or a Crystal Hollow Soldier Shield.

I just had a great experience in Painted World of Ariamis.

I started to go through by myself but since I figured it was a side quest of sorts (not sure if this is true or not - nothing in there seemed "main") I might as well spend a humanity or two and summon players.

The first bloke I teamed up with didn't get too far with me because another player invaded and we both got swiftly killed. It was pretty cheap because the invader lagged so much he backstabbed me even though the game said he was miles in front of me.

The second guy had much more luck with me and we made it all the way to the dragon. I didn't really have anything to combat it other than arrows, but thankfully he was a pyromancer and had an insane fire throw that did 700(!) damage to the dragon. It went down quickly and then we were invaded. I instantly thought we were going to get raped again but we both turned around on the bridge and created a defensive line. It wasn't the most graceful of fights, but we managed to take turns slashing/using magic against the invader and he went down. Boom! Unfortunately, he then died on the Phalanx so I went back to the bonfire to level up and summon again.

This time, I got the same guy as the first time and we went to kill the Phalanxs (thankfully he had good Pyromancy and made quick work of them) and wandered around the sewers etc. Made it to boss, killed her, and voila.

It's amazing how much safer I felt just having another person around. I still nearly got killed a few times, but it was great to be able to roll back and have someone else pick up the slack. It makes me wish the game had a true co-op mode so my girlfriend and I could play with each other. PVP definitely isn't for me, but after ignoring co-op in all of Demon's and most of this game, I can definitely say I made a mistake. I'm going to farm some humanities to get some help in later sections and go back to earlier sections to allow people to summon me, I think.

Also, I got the Key of Annex in the basement but I didn't look around to see if I could use it in the Painted World of Ariamis. There were also a few souls lying around I didn't get around to picking up. I ran back to the bonfire and saved the game for the night, so I hope I can go back to explore it more fully. I'm sure I can. *crosses fingers*

scosher

How should I modify my +10 Hollow Soldier Shield, if at all? I can currently make it a Crystal Ring Shield, a Greatshield of Artorias, a Lightning Hollow Soldier Shield, or a Crystal Hollow Soldier Shield.

Hollow Soldier Shield sucks now, so either make it a CRS or Greatshield of Artorias.

CRS sucks too, but it's still a cool, unique ability and if you're going for the platinum, you'd have to make it anyway. I never really used the Greatshield, as I prefer parry shields.

scosher

70 Stability doesn't exactly suck for a parrying shield.

Fine. It doesn't suck. It is "comparatively worse to other medium shields."

Your normal Tower Kite Shield or Cadaceus Kite Shield weigh less and have more stability. Spider Shield has the same stability while also giving poison/toxin protection. Silver Knight is flat out better in both defenses and stability, although weighs slightly more.

There's no reason to use Hollow Soldier Shield anymore.

what do you guys think of the Silver Knight Shield btw? that's the one i'm using but i haven't compared it to anything, fully upgraded i think it has 83 stability, and i can parry with it... the magic defense sucks though, but i try to roll and dodge magic anyway so it's not a big deal.

edit: ahh i see you mentioned the shield in your above post :p

Zzoram

what do you guys think of the Silver Knight Shield btw? that's the one i'm using but i haven't compared it to anything, fully upgraded i think it has 83 stability, and i can parry with it... the magic defense sucks though, but i try to roll and dodge magic anyway so it's not a big deal.

edit: ahh i see you mentioned the shield in your above post :p

Mine is +4 with 71 stability, I think it's 73 at +5 now. It got a slight nerf in stability with 1.04/1.05. I still think it's the best general purpose medium shield since it's relatively high resistance to magic/fire/lightning.

Fine. It doesn't suck. It is "comparatively worse to other medium shields."

Your normal Tower Kite Shield or Cadaceus Kite Shield weigh less and have more stability. Spider Shield has the same stability while also giving poison/toxin protection. Silver Knight is flat out better in both defenses and stability, although weighs slightly more.

There's no reason to use Hollow Soldier Shield anymore.

Well, shit. I just need something comparably light--what's the best shield in this category now that the Hollow Shield has been dethroned?

one85x

Forest farming method still gives the same amount of souls. The crest is also easier than ever to get with Asylum Demon giving 2000 souls, Taurus 3000, and Moonlight Butterfly 10,000.

Forest farming method still gives the same amount of souls. The crest is also easier than ever to get with Asylum Demon giving 2000 souls, Taurus 3000, and Moonlight Butterfly 10,000.
Good. I want to boost my magic and at level 70 that ain't going to happen quickly in a legit way!

scosher

Well, shit. I just need something comparably light--what's the best shield in this category now that the Hollow Shield has been dethroned?

It's more balanced and there's more choice now, whereas before Hollow Soldier Shield was a clearcut winner. For best defenses and stability, go Silver Knight (but weighs 5 lbs). Balder Shield has 2nd best stability, but its defenses aren't as good (4 lbs). Then the Tower Kite Shield or Cadaceus Kite Shield come in 3rd in stability, and weigh 3 lbs. If you want to sacrifice some stability for poison/toxin resists, go with Spider Shield (70 stability still). After that, stability really drops and it's not worth it unless the shield has some other benefit (ie. Crest Shield's 80% magic defense or Grass Crest Shield's stamina regen).

Zzoram

Mother FUCKER. Why didnt I think of that. I was at that bonfire and said "I hate this place I dont wanna be here no more" then warped out.

oh well.

Warping out is fine. Just don't use another bonfire. You homeward bone back to the last bonfire you actually rested at.

It's more balanced and there's more choice now, whereas before Hollow Soldier Shield was a clearcut winner. For best defenses and stability, go Silver Knight (but weighs 5 lbs). Balder Shield has 2nd best stability, but its defenses aren't as good (4 lbs). Then the Tower Kite Shield or Cadaceus Kite Shield come in 3rd in stability, and weigh 3 lbs. If you want to sacrifice some stability for poison/toxin resists, go with Spider Shield (70 stability still). After that, stability really drops and it's not worth it unless the shield has some other benefit (ie. Crest Shield's 80% magic defense or Grass Crest Shield's stamina regen).

Much obliged.

What's the condition of making a Divine Weapon? I foolishly modified an Occult Club into a Divine one, it seems (not because I needed occultness--but because I didn't realize the moveset for clubs was shit), and I don't have the option to make this upgrade with anything else. I have a +5 Zweihander that should be upgradable.

edit: this club actually isn't that terrible.

Insaniac

the Crystal Ring shield is absolutely worthless except for its 90% magic defense. How is the damage calculated now?

Also has anyone noticed increases in summoning and successful summons? I've been absorbed in Zelda so I've yet to really try.

scosher

Much obliged.

What's the condition of making a Divine Weapon? I foolishly modified an Occult Club into a Divine one, it seems (not because I needed occultness--but because I didn't realize the moveset for clubs was shit), and I don't have the option to make this upgrade with anything else. I have a +5 Zweihander that should be upgradable.

Did you get the Divine Ember? Location:
After killing Moonlight Butterfly
. You give that to Andre in the Undead Parish and then he can ascend a +5 weapon to Divine using green titanite shards.

Beats

Also has anyone noticed increases in summoning and successful summons? I've been absorbed in Zelda so I've yet to really try.

I got summoned a few times at the bonfire in the swamp in Blighttown in NG+ within a few minutes after laying down my sign. There were a bunch of messages all over the place too with new ones every now and then. I'll try other places later. Did they raise the level range too?

psykomyko

NO! Why From Software!?! Why are you tempting me to play this in the middle of my playtime with Skyrim and Zelda?!?!?!? Must...resist...urge...

tokkun

I thought they were going to nerf Wrath of God. Shit still does more than half my health bar in one go, is unblockable, and casts incredibly fast.

Woah, when you
kill Gwynevere, did AI Darkmoon soldiers always spawn in place of the giant sentinels? I pretty much shit my pants when I saw two guys coming at me with Greatshields until I realized they weren't glowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom