• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Woah, when you
kill Gwynevere, did AI Darkmoon soldiers always spawn in place of the giant sentinels? I pretty much shit my pants when I saw two guys coming at me with Greatshields until I realized they weren't glowing

Yep, they respawn too. Good 10k souls every time you refill your stuff for pvp.

Audioboxer

Asked in patch thread, but will probably get more feedback here:

Are STR builds more viable after the patch? Think I might do STR with my new char and finally get to taste what it's like to be a tank (heavy armour/weapons). Think I'll invest into faith as well, as I've tried pyro/sorcerer, but not faith.

STR/Faith a good combo?

2AdEPT

As long as this is to fend off people you are scared can topple your single player progress, then this is a-ok. You're waiting for people to invade you, you're still an ass-hat. Really, I hold nothing against you, personally, even if you made a habit out of invading everyone and doing this, it's completely your choice, but I think the latter is on par with pushing old people and then laughing.

Of course this kind of behaviour = asshatism. My personal favourite that I ran in to at least twice (same guys twice one time) EVERY time I did a string of Kiln red stone runs was at least TWO asshats, one or both with ring of fog on, always at least one RIGHT behind the spawn point ready to backstab immediately. First, exactly what is the point? Souls? HUmanity? Just glitch them? Really? it has to be an inferiority complex in real life I imagine, so to be superior even just for a second, they get to be king shit for the day. Believe it or not, this is not the fault of the asshat, it clearly is the developer, and perhaps patches will fix it perhaps not, but you have to be able to do better than demon's souls when you have demon's souls as a template or I say FAIL. YOu know there are asshats out there so don't feed into it! Of course there are many more asshats out there than chivalrous knights etc, so good luck with that I guess....bloody sell outs FROM....your rep as a non sell-out to the masses is dwindling...fast.

So back to the story......... Anyway, One time I got hit by the backstabber but it didn't kill me so I managed to sprint /roll by the guy I was facing and down the path....I got hit at least one other time by magic from behind when my stamina ran out, but still, with my headstart I made it to the narrow walkways and around the back of the central pillar. HHHAHAHH! finally an advantage, s the magic couldn't get me...but my weak emit force was all I had with that character as I was transitioning toward vow of slience mellee (and was hoping for more chivalrous fighting at the kiln as was proclaimed)......and it didn't knock the guy off the ledge AND I managed to misstep and fall off the ledge myself.....can't beleive I came close to getting the last laugh........ but oh so far.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Damn, I just tried to get back into this after playing a ton of Skyrim, it's hard.

This game is just such a different beast, I mean that as literally as possible, this game is a goddamned beast. Everything is so tight and deliberate compared to the floaty openness of Skyrim.

I don't feel right even trying until I've got a good 4-5 hours to dedicate to this game.

Audίoboxer;32893337 said:
Asked in patch thread, but will probably get more feedback here:

Are STR builds more viable after the patch? Think I might do STR with my new char and finally get to taste what it's like to be a tank (heavy armour/weapons). Think I'll invest into faith as well, as I've tried pyro/sorcerer, but not faith.

STR/Faith a good combo?

Yep, it seems like STR scaling is slightly higher on the few weapons that I just checked.

Insaniac

Couple more questions, one is regarding 1.05

I know they increased the souls you get in 1.05 when you are a phantom, but I just got 5,000 souls for helping kill the Gargs and I'm a level 6. Was this a NG+ game or did they really increase the amount?

Also:

is there anywhere i can buy "infinite" gold pine resin?

one85x

Couple more questions, one is regarding 1.05

I know they increased the souls you get in 1.05 when you are a phantom, but I just got 5,000 souls for helping kill the Gargs and I'm a level 6. Was this a NG+ game or did they really increase the amount?

Also:

is there anywhere i can buy "infinite" gold pine resin?
I can't say specifically for the Gargoyles, but they did increase souls given on a lot of the other earlier bosses.

I don't think you can buy goldpine resin in large amounts anywhere, but the mushroom enemies in Darkroot drop it.

Zzoram

So do Shotels only ignore shields if they're non-elemental shotels? My Lightning Shotel couldn't do damage through a shield in PvP, but the other guy's Shotel hit me for a ton of damage. We both had 100% physical block shields.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Uh, I'm the Catacombs right now (upper levels) still following the maps of the nerfed guide, but I can't figure out how to reach the second bonfire (where Patches is hanging around). Help?

2AdEPT

Well, shit. I just need something comparably light--what's the best shield in this category now that the Hollow Shield has been dethroned?

I haven't checked the patch out yet but someone said the balder shield is better now...prtty huge (check weight) but it still parries...a little. Prior to the patch people were raving about the round iron shield...howd it do post patch?

scosher

So do Shotels only ignore shields if they're non-elemental shotels? My Lightning Shotel couldn't do damage through a shield in PvP, but the other guy's Shotel hit me for a ton of damage. We both had 100% physical block shields.

You using the R2?

2AdEPT

Uh, I'm the Catacombs right now (upper levels) still following the maps of the nerfed guide, but I can't figure out how to reach the second bonfire (where Patches is hanging around). Help?

IIRC you can fall down to a ledge as a short cut right out of the gate...but perhaps I only used that short cut AFTER he switched the spikes....if you press on and search all paths you will get there eventually :p that why they call them catacombs...kinda like a maze right??!?!!? I know that the final turn is counter intutive and can be missed on the left as you see an opening to the centre court infront of you. RE-track your steps and see if you missed that left turn.

edit: make sure to kill all the skellies around beofre talking to him...they climb ladders also don't forget!!! COst me a tonne of time and 275,000 souls (albeit glitched in frustration) because I nicked pathces while defending him form skellies. THe absolution worked though...[picked up rioght where we left off....albeit an hour later it seemed.

edit: also if you're into NPC's make sure to hire
paladin leroy...his stone sign is on a platform visible down below from the centre courtyard area....
just find the diving board looking stone that jutts out...but turn to your right while on it to "dive" off. You can get there immediately from the first bonfire by dropping down to a path on your left from the first bridge, then in the middle of that path there is another opportunity to drop directly to the diving board. YOu can do all this in about 15-20 seconds after killingthe first two or three skellies....i even ran by them one time and they fell to their death trying to follow me...you can get from bonfire to boss (with help) in about 3minutes...less if you tryto forego killignthe bonewheels and jsut run ot teh fog door. Leroy does quick work of the bonewheels down below though...you don't even have to help him! Just enjoy the view of those asses getting their hat handed to them! ;)

one85x

You can jump down from the first bridge to the path that leads to Patches and the second bonfire. I haven't gone through the Catacombs normally in a long time though, so no idea how to get there normally.

Insaniac

Wow, you really DO get 5000 souls for killing the gargoyles as a phantom. That's quite a jump from the 750 it used to be. Time to farm!

What's the fastest way down to the Tomb of the Giants from the first Catacombs bonfire? I keep fucking dying down there and it takes way too long to get back for my liking.

2AdEPT

You can jump down from the first bridge to the path that leads to Patches and the second bonfire. I haven't gone through the Catacombs normally in a long time though, so no idea how to get there normally.

The only problem is that IIRC that platform has spikes on it when you first start the level...maybe I'm wrong...but yeah definitely try the drops first, as it is a much easier go. I think you can potentially get htere if you know how to find the GReat Scythe...the drops from there spit you out pretty close to patches I think, or it could be back at the start..hard to remember. RUle of thumb for catacombs is that you should always be looking for an easy drop down....the guide was not good at depicting these.

I haven't checked the patch out yet but someone said the balder shield is better now...prtty huge (check weight) but it still parries...a little. Prior to the patch people were raving about the round iron shield...howd it do post patch?

Pretty sure I was the one that bought up that shield. Wasn't raving about it, was just interested to notice it was the only medium shield with the same ability to deflect attacks as the great shields. I did test with it a bit but the low stability seemed like too much of a drawback, even if you bounce the opponents attack you're left with too little stamina to do much about it and if you're going for parries you don't really need the deflect. Maybe the patch has improved it's viability though seeing as other medium shields got the nerf bat.

It's up for PS3 in EU

Hooray!

Defuser

I'm amuse they fix the snuggly giltch,it's not that game breaking or harmful but have to be careful when doing it. Buying Twinkling Titanite from blacksmith? Now that is more game breaking lol.

Gonna start my NG+ today

Now that the Nazgul set is nerfed, what other light set (has to be the same weight or even lighter) is better for mostly phy defense ?

Zzoram

What's the fastest way down to the Tomb of the Giants from the first Catacombs bonfire? I keep fucking dying down there and it takes way too long to get back for my liking.

Run through the level ignoring all the enemies except the necromancers, who you should kill if you find them.

Push 3 switches total to unlock areas.

Run until you get to a spiral staircase that keeps going down and eventually leads to a drop, fall down the pit onto the ledges along the way. Arrive at blacksmith and in a cave full of skeleton wheels. Tread carefully, there is also a black knight in the area, he doesn't respawn but don't try to fight him when skeleton wheels are still alive.

Once you've cleared the area, go to the boss, Pinwheel. He's a pansy.

Ill Saint

Anyone noticed imrovements to the framerate in Blighttown and New Londo? I'm not able to check it out at this time, but it was apparently in the changes.

Interesting. What would be the best class to start out with, using Twin Humanities?

Sorry for the late replay

If you are just starting and haven't made a character yet, then I would go for either the Knight or Cleric, they are probably the 2 easiest classes to start with

EasyMode

I just spent an hour in Blighttown and didn't notice any improvement in the framerate.

Thankfully my summon rate went from 1 or 2 per hour to... at least 10.

I did a but of forest PVP with a Japanese dude for the first time. We managed to take out about 10 invaders before I sent him home.

Couple questions, I only managed to get 1 humanity in the process, was the dude yanking them all? Also, how do I get out?

Sullichin

This patch kicks ass! First thing I did was go to the depths, the rats now drop humanity like crazy, especially with a couple humanity + gold serprent ring. While farming for humanity I got summoned a bunch of times for gaping dragon.. at SL116! Didn't think I'd be able to get summoned there at that level, but I did over and over again. Did they possibly increase the range? Definitely getting more souls for just about everything. Think knights in Anor Londo are 3000 instead of 2700 now.

Actually having a lot of fun in Anor Londo PVP, more fair fights with less cheapness. I love the Gravelord sword for PVP. I need 2 more demon titanite to get it to +5. There's a couple of titanite demons left in Sen's but they are really hard in NG+...

One more thing.. I leveled up to 2 in Chaos covenant, but I don't see the shortcut to Lost Izalith - guessing I still need to beat Demon's Ruins first? Do I also need to place the lordvessel first?

scosher

I did a but of forest PVP with a Japanese dude for the first time. We managed to take out about 10 invaders before I sent him home.

Couple questions, I only managed to get 1 humanity in the process, was the dude yanking them all? Also, how do I get out?

Don't think you get humanity from killing forest protectors, only darkwraith invaders.

one85x

This patch kicks ass! First thing I did was go to the depths, the rats now drop humanity like crazy, especially with a couple humanity + gold serprent ring. While farming for humanity I got summoned a bunch of times for gaping dragon.. at SL116! Didn't think I'd be able to get summoned there at that level, but I did over and over again. Did they possibly increase the range? Definitely getting more souls for just about everything. Think knights in Anor Londo are 3000 instead of 2700 now.

Actually having a lot of fun in Anor Londo PVP, more fair fights with less cheapness. I love the Gravelord sword for PVP. I need 2 more demon titanite to get it to +5. There's a couple of titanite demons left in Sen's but they are really hard in NG+...

One more thing.. I leveled up to 2 in Chaos covenant, but I don't see the shortcut to Lost Izalith - guessing I still need to beat Demon's Ruins first? Do I also need to place the lordvessel first?
Ya, you need to place the lordvessel before you can access the shortcut. After you've done that, it will be just to the right of the first fog gate in the Demon Ruins.

2AdEPT

Run through the level ignoring all the enemies except the necromancers, who you should kill if you find them.

Push 3 switches total to unlock areas.

Run until you get to a spiral staircase that keeps going down and eventually leads to a drop, fall down the pit onto the ledges along the way. Arrive at blacksmith and in a cave full of skeleton wheels. Tread carefully, there is also a black knight in the area, he doesn't respawn but don't try to fight him when skeleton wheels are still alive.

Once you've cleared the area, go to the boss, Pinwheel. He's a pansy.

ZZoram....this is a waste of time if you aleady got all the items you want...if you are on TOTG and are dying there before the bonfire, as this fellow appears to have done, it is way easier and less time to just drop down the ledges. Once you know where to drop its not even dangerous...you can even run by all skellies as they have problems following you down three tiers and fall to their death.
1.) drop off first bridge to the left.
2.) about halfway on that platform from each end look down towards a stone jutting out like a diving board
3.) hop on to that (here you could go back to solid land and kill enemies but I found that once I knew where to drop, I just did this before they even had a chance to notice I was there.)
4.) on the diving board, drop (roll is better IIRC) to the right as you will see the summon sign of leroy below (ensure you are in human form.)
5.) hire leroy - the rest is history ...I died multiple times trying to protect leroy from the bonewheels...but one time he went down aheadof me and killed them all without losing even one fifth of his health...he is one tough ambre.

edit: the hire leroy part only works if you haven't already killed the pinwheel which I assume the fellow in question already did.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I just had a great experience in Painted World of Ariamis.

I started to go through by myself but since I figured it was a side quest of sorts (not sure if this is true or not - nothing in there seemed "main") I might as well spend a humanity or two and summon players.

The first bloke I teamed up with didn't get too far with me because another player invaded and we both got swiftly killed. It was pretty cheap because the invader lagged so much he backstabbed me even though the game said he was miles in front of me.

The second guy had much more luck with me and we made it all the way to the dragon. I didn't really have anything to combat it other than arrows, but thankfully he was a pyromancer and had an insane fire throw that did 700(!) damage to the dragon. It went down quickly and then we were invaded. I instantly thought we were going to get raped again but we both turned around on the bridge and created a defensive line. It wasn't the most graceful of fights, but we managed to take turns slashing/using magic against the invader and he went down. Boom! Unfortunately, he then died on the Phalanx so I went back to the bonfire to level up and summon again.

This time, I got the same guy as the first time and we went to kill the Phalanxs (thankfully he had good Pyromancy and made quick work of them) and wandered around the sewers etc. Made it to boss, killed her, and voila.

It's amazing how much safer I felt just having another person around. I still nearly got killed a few times, but it was great to be able to roll back and have someone else pick up the slack. It makes me wish the game had a true co-op mode so my girlfriend and I could play with each other. PVP definitely isn't for me, but after ignoring co-op in all of Demon's and most of this game, I can definitely say I made a mistake. I'm going to farm some humanities to get some help in later sections and go back to earlier sections to allow people to summon me, I think.

Also, I got the Key of Annex in the basement but I didn't look around to see if I could use it in the Painted World of Ariamis. There were also a few souls lying around I didn't get around to picking up. I ran back to the bonfire and saved the game for the night, so I hope I can go back to explore it more fully. I'm sure I can. *crosses fingers*
Sounds awesome dude! I just "found" the Painted World myself (yet another great surprise this game continues to throw). Wish I had a better connection so I could find more summon signs and have more luck with the online aspects in general. Hopefully the patch will make things easier if it brings all regions up to speed.

Think I encountered a weird bug with the
undead dragon
. Can anyone who's been through that area confirm if they've had it as well?
It came shuffling down the bridge and scared the crap out of me (only his top half, like when you meet the one in Valley of Drakes). I killed it and headed across the bridge, only to run into a large heaving mass of what looked like another undead dragon. I attacked it and nothing happened (couldn't lock on/see HP), but after a few more attacks it revealed itself as a pair of undead dragon legs by 'standing up'...

It gave me a fright, but didn't attack or anything. I could lock on and attack the legs, but it didn't seem to do anything. Just left it and proceeded on to the Phalanxes...
This wasn't normal, right?

Yeah that happens. I've seen people say it's a bug but I thought it was intentional. I thought it was just a slightly weird alternate way of getting to the boss without the key.

Zzoram

The dragon legs in the Painted World stand up if you do a lunging R2 (LS forward + R2).

Dropping down from there takes you almost right in front of the boss door, skipping most of the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom