• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Anyone like to play dress up? Like wear all the armor and use the same weapon as particular enemies/NPCs when invading? Seems fun.

I forget what the onion knight uses as his weapon.

So i've encountered a bug, or some sort of secret.

I was trucking around with a dark wraith (we were just walking around kiln of the first flame), when I noticed something. When I get some of the black knights to little health, they stop attacking me and just stand there. I can no longer lock onto them and its as if they are my friend, but I can still kill them if I want to even though i can't lock onto them. They lose all aggression, i'm not sure why or if it's even important. If it's related,
I returned the abysswalker ring back to its rightful owner

I think I'll start a new game as a thief/dex character and join the darkwraiths as soon as possible.

Going to completely avoid offensive magic too. Would I be gimping myself in PVP?

^^^

I've only seen that when lag is really bad. The death confirm of the black knights along with their souls took almost 10s and in that time they stood around doing nothing.

Insaniac

so how does the multi work now exactly? it seems to be a lot better, but does it cycle through servers? if my friend and I want to play, should I lay my sign and should he just wait until it shows up or is there a way to "refresh" it?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
The dragon legs in the Painted World stand up if you do a lunging R2 (LS forward + R2).

Dropping down from there takes you almost right in front of the boss door, skipping most of the level.
Oh right! Yeah, there was a message saying "try a lunging attack", so I did and it stood up.
Thanks for the explanation - it was seriously weirding me out. Guess I will explore a bit more of the area first.

Should I even be fighting Seath first? He was the first one I went to after beating
Smough and Ornstein
. Is there an order?

I don't believe there is a required order. Pretty sure you can go about it in any order you like.

The only requirement is that
you kill Wolf Sif before you can fight the 4 Kings. You will need the Covenant of Artorias ring to travel to the Abyss at the bottom of New Londo ruins where the 4 kings are

Seath is probably the easiest of the last 5 bosses.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Gotta say, I haven't seen any more summon signs than usual since the patch dropped. I'm on the 360 and I'm in the Chaos Servant covenant for the record.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
so how does the multi work now exactly? it seems to be a lot better, but does it cycle through servers? if my friend and I want to play, should I lay my sign and should he just wait until it shows up or is there a way to "refresh" it?
If it's anything like Demon's, I think it cycles. But if your sign appears in his world, it will be pretty instant, so just keep putting it down until he gives you the A-ok.

I can happily confirm that the online feels a lot better after the patch. EDIT: This is probably mainly because all servers are now in line between versions.
After opening the main gate in Painted World, I went back to the bonfire to rest and level up, only to find a bunch of summon signs (only seen a total of two up to this point). After a couple of summon failures, one guy helped me through to opening the route to the boss fog. Unfortunately (probably due to my connection), he dropped, but not before fending off an invader and netting me more souls than I've ever seen.

The next helpful chap took me to the boss and sadly fell just before the finishing blow was struck. I messaged them both saying thank you, and got some nice messages back. It was great!

Back in Anor Londo now, and I can't help but want to take some friends along for the ride. It does completely change the pace (sometimes in a bad way), but it makes the whole experience a lot richer. I love having a powerful ally, seeing them take a chunk of health out of an invader, and watching said invader run off with tail between legs.

Suffice to say, my Souls experience has just been improved drastically. Furthermore, my wife almost made me spit out my tea by suddenly exclaiming "I wanna watch Dark Souls!" I guess she has a lot more fun watching me play alongside a White Phantom than she does watching me slowly creeping around every corner. She's probably just impressed with all these "big swords", but screw it. I get to play more! Thank you From! Haha.

^ Yeah I only played for like two hours yesterday: was invaded four times, summoned like six people, and was summoned myself twice. And with all the humanity to go around now, I suspect that's going to be more the norm now. Just awesome.

Oh, also have a couple stories:

1. I got invaded twice by that ABCabcABCabc guy (#2 in book of guilty last I looked, was #1 prior to that). Was level 10 at the time. Took a while for him to show up, then he was just standing at the second bridge in Undead Burg as I stood on the platform outside the bonfire. He bowed. I bowed did the "come here" gesture by accident (it was a new character I forgot to switch gestures around) thinking to myself, "Oh, nice" in sarcasm. He puts something on the ground and points at it. I pick it up. It's the indictment thing. The encounter lasted another five seconds or so. I fell. The second time he invaded me he backstabbed me while I was trying to enter the fog gate. :/

2. Then I'm at the Capra door and get invaded by a big fat guy who's just standing there, bowing. He bowed like three times iirc. I didn't really want to attack him either, though, cause he hadn't shown any aggression, so I didn't. A moment later a phantom I had summoned shows up, looks at fatty, looks at me holding up my shield at fatty, then proceeds to, I think, go kill the thiefs downstairs. Roughly 20 seconds later I'm dead. Thanks, whoever you were. That was awesome help.

edbrat

Back in Anor Londo now, and I can't help but want to take some friends along for the ride. It does completely change the pace (sometimes in a bad way), but it makes the whole experience a lot richer. I love having a powerful ally, seeing them take a chunk of health out of an invader, and watching said invader run off with tail between legs.

yeah I have spent hours cooping in Anor Londo, either helping with the bosses or walking people through the level. Love it when they just stop before the archers looking scared and I just romp up there and (usually) sort the right hand one out before giving them a wave from the ledge while they bound joyfully up to the next part. The bosses which used to terrify me are now mere playthings and I happily go toe to toe with them while my summoner cowers a mile off casting magic or pyro, good times!

Netted more souls and humanity than I know what to do with, just maxed out my pyro glove and weapons and ran around kindling fires. Did the painted world last night and turned off auto update so I can do four kings before iron flesh gets nerfed. Will then patch up and spend another load of time doing coop I think. Still have to do great hollow and ash lake, collected most of the stuff from great hollow but just kept dying and getting pissed off.

Think I will join dark wraiths later to get into invading, sounds like fun though I am awful at PvP. Most of the time I get one or two shotted and cannot work out what the hell the other dude was using!

edbrat

forgot to say this is now my GOTG, I have not been so involved or invested in a game in years. The last time was probably Disgaea on PS2. Once I exhaust this I am redoing Demons Souls then hopefully I will have forgotten Dark enough to do a rerun. SR3, Super Mario 3DS and possibly Mario Kart will have to wait, this is unprecedented.

(ok I will probably buy mario kart to play in between summons :)

Think I will join dark wraiths later to get into invading, sounds like fun though I am awful at PvP. Most of the time I get one or two shotted and cannot work out what the hell the other dude was using!

Yeah, ya know I should invade more too. I shy away from it because 1) I'm not very good, and 2) I don't really like to kill people (lol). But it's just occurring to me now how good it feels to defeat an invader - being a red phantom who is easily defeated actually serves a "good guy" role: player you're invading gets your souls, humanity, and the feeling of defeating a phantom. So when invading I win if I win, and if I lose I win knowing the potential joy I just provided.

vermadas

So they did NOT fix the input delay bug. In fact, I seemed to notice it even more when playing last night, though it may have been coincidence. It caused me to die once in one of my several attempts to defeat Gwyn. I was half health, waiting for an opening to use my Estus... finally he does a grab, so I hit the button to use Estus. Estus finally comes out 1 sec later, but at that point his flaming sword is running me through. FUUUUuuuu...

In other news, Gwyn is a fucking asshole. I wish I had practiced parrying more before this. I also should have tried putting on Havel's and switching from my lightning iaito to my furysword sooner.
Lord of cinder is weaker against fire. What.
I got him down to 20% last night, so hopefully I can finish the job today...

Ourobolus

Banned
I platinumed Demon's Souls so late in its life that I wasn't terribly invested in PvP at all, so when it finally happened, I was fine with (albeit a little saddened) putting the game down.

I'm almost done with getting my platinum in Dark Souls now and...I think I'm going to want to keep playing. Either keeping the same character and doing PvP or rolling a mage (I'm full melee right now).

Argh, my wife is going to get so sick of me.

Frank

The patch hasn't fixed shit. Still can't summon friends.

For what's worth it fixed what it said it fixed, there was never any mention of adding a special kind of ability to summon friends... However, with just a tiny bit of effort on your and your friend's side, you can play together (place summon sign in a low-traffic area, wait a couple of minutes for the sign to popup in a lobby somewhere, check with your friend to see if it appeared in his lobby; if not, place summon sign again; rinse-and-repeat until your friend sees your sign).

Not the most straight forward way, but it's not some super-rocket-science-I-have-to-really-go-out-of-my-way kind of thing to make it work.

Kyoufu

For what's worth it fixed what it said it fixed, there was never any mention of adding a special kind of ability to summon friends... However, with just a tiny bit of effort on your and your friend's side, you can play together (place summon sign in a low-traffic area, wait a couple of minutes for the sign to popup in a lobby somewhere, check with your friend to see if it appeared in his lobby; if not, place summon sign again; rinse-and-repeat until your friend sees your sign).

Not the most straight forward way, but it's not some super-rocket-science-I-have-to-really-go-out-of-my-way kind of thing to make it work.

You think I didn't do all that already?

Pejo

Post patch, I gotta say I am loving being a Sunbro™. Getting summoned a LOT more already and re-kindling my love with this game.

On my NG+ run now that the patch is up and just got done farming the Gargoyle boss for helmet, shield, and halberd. Speaking of, I really like the 2h R2 animation for the halberd. Going to see what the stats are like maxed out on it. Could be a nice surprise weapon for PVP as it's 2 hit and comes out pretty fast, and I don't think a lot of people would expect it.

Went through my more powerful weapons and with fairly high INT i'm still noticing that my lightning+5 and Flame+10 weapons are still handily beating my Magic scaled weapons. Kinda disappointed in this but overall very impressed with the patch.

Futureman

With Dark Souls being so popular, I would love a Demon's Souls port to 360. Probably like 0% of that happening right?

Also, roughly how far into the game am I having just killed Capra Demon?

keit4

Banned
Moonlight Sword +5 is great. My char has 16STR/40DEX/40INT, and i can deal around 700 magic dmg (~1200 critical hits). Anyone knows if exists a better weapon for my char? I tried with Lighting Uchi+5 and Queelag's Furysword +5, but aren't comparable.

Frank

Appologies then :) Worked for me and a buddy of mine, however it wasn't sufficiently consistent for us to keep playing through the whole game together like that.

Still, occasionally we do the put-sign-down-and-again dance. Might work more often because we're also geographically near to one another.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Holy crap, the buffs to weapon scaling are making me feel OP. My Great Club +15 is now A. :D

Started a new game and am noticing a lot of little differences. Even some enemy placement has changed.

Loading times are slightly longer but this improves the overall framerate going from area to area. I'm guessing they allocated more of the loading to the actual screen to take some of the burden off background loading.

chunk3rvd

Does 1.05 stop the Snuggly glitch? Was going to cheese a load of Demon Titanite and White Chunks and wondering if I should boot it offline for now and get that done ASAP

.GqueB.

Banned

Figured I would address you both since youre asking the same question. The absolute best way to play with friends is to actually equip the white soap stone and spam the hell out of the square button. No waiting a few minutes to see if he can get you, no standing around. Just hit square over and over again.

Contrary to what the game would have you believe, your summon sign doesnt disappear once you re-place it. It seems to linger around a bit in other words before going away. A friend and I are pretty much always able to catch each others signs when we do this. Shouldnt take much longer than about 10 to 15 minutes. Often times its instant. Also, once youre summoned in another persons world your pretty much linked until you turn off the game so every effort after that will take seconds. By doing this, we've been pretty much playing the game through together save for a couple of areas (tomb of the giants).

There have only been a few times where it didnt work. He has a shitty connection in Jersey and I have a strict NAT so that causes issues at times.

Futureman

I want to start reinforcing armor as I've only reinforced my Claymore (up to +7 now) and my Knights Shield (up to +4). I also just got the Grass Crest Shield which I hear a lot of talk about. Should I abandon the Knights Shield and start upping my Grass Crest?

Also...

I have the Balder Helm, which I've been using, and the Fang Boar Helm. The Fang is twice as heavy, but should I not really worry about that as I've been upping my Endurance? Would the Fang be a good helmet to start reinforcing?

Sullichin

I want to start reinforcing armor as I've only reinforced my Claymore (up to +7 now) and my Knights Shield (up to +4). I also just got the Grass Crest Shield which I hear a lot of talk about. Should I abandon the Knights Shield and start upping my Grass Crest?

Also...

I have the Balder Helm, which I've been using, and the Fang Boar Helm. The Fang is twice as heavy, but should I not really worry about that as I've been upping my Endurance? Would the Fang be a good helmet to start reinforcing?

I used the fang boar helm early in the game and liked it, but eventually found lots of better stuff. As for the grass crest shield, the 95% physical block means I never use it as my default shield. The stamina regen is helpful in some places though so i'd hold on to both.

Woah, up to Sen's Fortress and all I've used up until now is a bandit knife. Such pitiful damage outside criticals.

Had a dude invade me in undead burg and raped me with a fury sword when I was around level 8. What the eff? Also a lot of the summon signs near the gargoyles had people with end game gear like full black knight, armour of thorns, paladin etc.

Gonna keep to my promise to not use elemental weapons or non-support magic. So far it's been painful

Dorrin

Anyone else start to burn out just a bit after Anor Londo? I've been running two charactes fairly concurrently, maybe thats part of the problem. I've got a 53 Sorcerer and a 50 Pyro.

The 50 Pyro is actually farther, past Dukes Archives, made it to the Giant Tomb but left. Currently at the bonfire in Lost Izalith, I guess I just need to run the whole way and take out the boss, had thought I'd find another bonfire further in but I'm not seeing it. I find myself hating this area.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm a bit under leveled, Lvl 50, 35 Endur, 18 Vit, 16 Str, 14 Dex, +3 ascended glove, using mostly Havel's and +3 Lighting spear and +5 fury sword. No idea why I don't have enough chunks to take it to +4, my sorc has a +5 but I can't remember where I got them from, maybe Forest invading.. I felt I had to cheese the Firesage Demon and the Centipede by basically tanking them with Iron Flesh pre patch.

Ourobolus

Banned
Man I love my Uchi +15 now. Got about 40 DEX, and I'm dealing out a good 1500 damage to non-armored enemies after a couple hits, when bleeding sets in. So good.

oracrest

Sounds like the skeleton mages in the Catacombs now drop skull lanterns. You'll want to get one if you don't have cast light to make the beginning of ToG less annoying.

Heh, I was wondering if there was a light of some kind to use in this area. I ended up learning the layout pretty good blindly, and took down Nito last night, as well as my first invading phantom, after using some humanity to kindle my bonfire for more estus.

Can someone give me a hint as to where the old londo ruins key is used?

On all but one occasion, invaders have killed me with one hit. I'm a level 70 so I'm hardly weak, but yeah, the game likes pairing me with SL1000 dudes or something!

I don't really mind, though. Adds to the dangerous sensation of the world and I'm not a PVP dude so I'm not creating a character that's made to combat other people.

Heh, I was wondering if there was a light of some kind to use in this area. I ended up learning the layout pretty good blindly, and took down Nito last night, as well as my first invading phantom, after using some humanity to kindle my bonfire for more estus.

Can someone give me a hint as to where the old londo ruins key is used?

You're a brave man doing ToG blind! The Londo Ruins key I believe opens the door at the bottom of the elevator from Firelink. If you have the master key you've probably opened it already.

Just beat Bed of Chaos last night. Argh! After relatively breezing through most of the game, that boss was the first real frustration I've experienced. Got summoned a few times and I proved to be utterly worthless. At least making the run to the boss over and over netted me enough red chunks to max out a fire weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom