• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

On all but one occasion, invaders have killed me with one hit. I'm a level 70 so I'm hardly weak, but yeah, the game likes pairing me with SL1000 dudes or something!

I don't really mind, though. Adds to the dangerous sensation of the world and I'm not a PVP dude so I'm not creating a character that's made to combat other people.

If you are talking about Darkwraith invaders, they are guaranteed to be a lower level than you.

It's probably more of an issue with equipment or targeted builds. An SL60 sorcerer who has got 40 points in INT and is using the Dusk Crown and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring will be able to one-shot a lot of people with the upper level spells.

elty

I am not sure how am I supposed to kill Four Kings in NG+. I used the iron flesh glitch for NG, and I ended up killed by the 5th King as it was hard to judge the distance with a black background.

Now I am torned between upgrading my INT or upgrading my DEX. Both are 25 at the moment, I can either go 40 DEX 32 INT (38 VIT 35 END), or 25 DEX 50 INT (35 VIT 35 END). With the soul arrow series being useless (great soul arrow did like 120 damage to silver knight) what would be the benefit of INT build? I supposed only weapon that make sense would be the moonlight sword (which I have).

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
*turns on PS3 today*

Auto-update report:
-Dark Souls saved data uploaded
-Dark Souls 1.05 patch data downloaded

bobby-squeal.gif

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Somewhat disappointed at Priscilla's Dagger. This weapon really, really relies on its heavy bleed effect. I was trying it on the giants outside the O&S boss room (+5ed the dagger, with 40 dex) and I think it was doing less than 100 damage per hit until the bleed kicked in for around 800-900 damage.

How good is this weapon? Does anyone else have more experience with it?

bone_and_sinew

I'm a strength build so I can't comment from experience but from what I've read from pvpers the Bandit's Dagger is the "best" dagger-class weapon. Priscilla's weapons are gimmicky and impractical.

heads up for anyone that's going for platinum: the souvenir of reprisal drop rate might have been increased after patch? i just got 5 in about 10 minutes of farming in the painted world.

Man, once you get some forward momentum going, this game is incredibly hard to stop playing. One of my classes was canceled yesterday so I probably spent over 6 hours with Dark Souls instead with no regrets.

EasyMode

heads up for anyone that's going for platinum: the souvenir of reprisal drop rate might have been increased after patch? i just got 5 in about 10 minutes of farming in the painted world.
That would definitely be an increase. Before it would be more like 5 per hour, even with a high item discovery rate.

bone_and_sinew

They did that for all covenant drops (like the gravelord eyes from the basilisks. Hell it seems all drops period are more frequent now.

Patch is out? Dang.

I don't want to give up my Crystal Ring Shield. :( It's been helping me through some of the more difficult parts. In fact, it seems like my whole character got downgraded (Thief/Pyromancer). I'm stuck at the
Demon Firesage
and have no idea how I'm going to get past him now that I will do a lot less damage to him. Of course, I could barely get one hit off him in the first place, so doing less damage with one hit doesn't really matter. :|

bone_and_sinew

nice. glad the patch came out when it did...going to save me a lot of time.
I didn't mind invading people to get to the 10 Souvenir of Reprisal, hell I enjoyed and I really got into the roleplay of punishing filthy sinners. But I had no clue until a couple days ago that going to +2 and +3 for the Darkmoon Covenant increased Darkmoon Blade's strength. I'm going to farm too since my Faith is 40 and I'm real curious to see how much of a buff it'll be now.

I got my 6 Souvenirs needed from the Crows in less than ten minutes, got my talisman and Darkmoon Blade, then killed Gwyndolin (who was harder than I was expecting from watching Youtubes. Took 3 tries. He was really aggressive in my game and spammed the big blast constantly. He used it three times in a row at one point). Felt good. Now to farm Humanity from some rats for Spider Queen.

(Saving ToG for last)

Dresden

Patch is out? Dang.

I don't want to give up my Crystal Ring Shield. :( It's been helping me through some of the more difficult parts. In fact, it seems like my whole character got downgraded (Thief/Pyromancer). I'm stuck at the
Demon Firesage
and have no idea how I'm going to get past him now that I will do a lot less damage to him. Of course, I could barely get one hit off him in the first place, so doing less damage with one hit doesn't really matter. :|

It's like all of his bros you fought, you get behind him and hack away. His downward chop can be easily rolled away and as long as you stay on his butt it's a pretty easy win.

Darkwood grain ring is probably the biggest help for the fight.

2AdEPT

Gotta say, I haven't seen any more summon signs than usual since the patch dropped. I'm on the 360 and I'm in the Chaos Servant covenant for the record.

Was doing sen's fortress last night with my new Fatih build character (SL26-30) and had near continuous ability to get summoned, finding good help was a little tough on sens at such a low SL but waited no more than 5 minutes and only had to use Iron Tarkus a couple tries...even with phantoms at that SL it was tough to do golem....i rolled off the walkway by mistake once, then died outright one other time on a overhead slam...and had to get human through helping others as I blew all my humaity on queelag (she ended up ebing harder than golem at low souls level for me...stupid AOE). DId that each time and evenatully got my bloodstain back each time....ende up with 90K souls at level 26, only went as high as 32 after as PVP is waaay better and more challenging at lower levels. ONe phatom was wearing the Dragon trunk....looked like he had chicken feet....no problems as foar as I'm concerned and had at least one JApanese summon as well again.

Heh, I was wondering if there was a light of some kind to use in this area. I ended up learning the layout pretty good blindly, and took down Nito last night, as well as my first invading phantom, after using some humanity to kindle my bonfire for more estus.

Can someone give me a hint as to where the old londo ruins key is used?

iirc that key is used after Blighttown if you exit to get to Valley of the Drakes.

Zzoram

dunno, ANYONE is in new londo ruins to be summoned and ANYONE tried to invade me.
SL 123. the fuck?
also other people can summon me without a problem but i can't.

That area just isn't very popular for people to be in human form since there are no NPC invaders. Can't you summon Beatrice to help you? She's an NPC with her summon sign nearby before the boss fog gate.

scosher

Apparently they got rid of the lower level restrictions for being a Darkmoon avenger. You can invade SL 3 sinners as an SL 100 Darkmoon. Pretty much makes the whole "PvP level cap" moot, since you can level up to 700 if you want and be constantly invaded by Darkwraiths, while still invading yourself as a Darkmoon.

2AdEPT

Patch is out? Dang.

Demon Firesage

Make sure to pvp those bosses that you feel you have to cheese. CHeese was necessary for me at times (stray demon until I watched you tube) and the only function was moving on...the level itself wasn[t fun...but with PVP it is fun and I can continue with the game.

Audioboxer

New invading glitch?

Was summoned to help a guy outside capra, we were both standing and then he got invaded and killed before the invader even fully appeared. Somehow killed my summoner before the invasion appearing animation even finished on his character.

It then happened to me 20 mins later, got killed by something invisible (no not fog ring), and his body starts coming out of the invasion animation after I'm already dead.

TheFatOne

I didn't know how dangerous those frogs in the sewer were until now. Holy fuck that curse is crazy. I had no idea it stacked, and I was dumb enough to go down again after being cursed. I think not knowing how dangerous they were really helped me the first time through.

Akuun

I didn't know how dangerous those frogs in the sewer were until now. Holy fuck that curse is crazy. I had no idea it stacked, and I was dumb enough to go down again after being cursed. I think not knowing how dangerous they were really helped me the first time through.
It STACKS? Holy shit.

Wool

This video has some pretty crazy PVP fights in Sens Fortress. I've never seen anyone use that inanimate object spell in the actual game.

Also, what's the deal with those weird yellow sting ray things? I think the only time you see them is when you go up to get the wolf ring, and they can apparently jump +100ft if they came out of the lake onto that cliff.

Akuun

Also, what's the deal with those weird yellow sting ray things? I think the only time you see them is when you go up to get the wolf ring, and they can apparently jump +100ft if they came out of the lake onto that cliff.
The red sting rays? I don't know. It's strange how rarely they are used in the game, though I did farm them for stamina herbs at one point.

This video has some pretty crazy PVP fights in Sens Fortress. I've never seen anyone use that inanimate object spell in the actual game.

lmao @ 2:30 in that video. serves him right, taunting with the stupid come at me bro emote!

TheFatOne

I think I'm under powered going into Sens fortress. Is there any armor or weapons I should grab before I try to do it? Should I just grind for souls right now(Lvl49 right now)

Akuun

I think I'm under powered going into Sens fortress. Is there any armor or weapons I should grab before I try to do it? Should I just grind for souls right now(Lvl49 right now)
I think you're fine for Sen's. No need to worry about a weapon, because you find the lightning spear if you poke around inside Sen's for a while.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry. I did Sen's a couple days ago and I was Level 35 maybe. It's not really that hard, I plowed my way through with the Drake Sword, and took on the lizard enemies with pyromancy.

Finalow

That area just isn't very popular for people to be in human form since there are no NPC invaders. Can't you summon Beatrice to help you? She's an NPC with her summon sign nearby before the boss fog gate.
yes I can but it's not the same. better than nothing I guess.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Got some weapon upgrade questions:

1) I got the enchanted falchion in Duke's Archives and I have the materials to upgrade it. I'm not a magic user so the scaling won't be good for much, but are there any enemies that are weak to enchanted weapons? In other words should I bother with this at all?

2) Is lightning or fire the more practical upgrade path for Uchigatana? The stats are really close, so which one is more useful against more enemy types? (I already have a lightning claymore, but that alone isn't a good reason to choose fire, is it? I already have the furysword.)

If you're having trouble doing damage in Sen's, grab the Lightning Spear in there.

Past the second rock trap there is a chest in a room with a bunch of statues. That chest is a Mimic Box so don't open it. Instead, wait around until the rolling rocks you just ran away from fill up the hole at the end of the track you went down, then the next rock will destroy the wall, leading to the Covetous Serpent Ring. After that, just attack the Mimic, run out into the room where the ring was and lure the Mimic onto the track where the rocks roll down. Move out of the way and proceed to watch the Mimic get roflstomped by the rock. Grab Lightning Spear (should auto grab it in 1.05 if I recall right), profit.

2AdEPT

Host was lagging

Yeah the lag blows...kept getting invaded by one guy in particular, and I was doing a string of invasions that went fine, but any time THIS ONE GUY invaded the lag was terrible and he killed me while he was running toward me with no weapon drawn. I messaged the situation and apologized to him the first time for not being able to given hima proper challenge.....but the second time I told him to get a better internet connection......seems like the issue was with him as all the other summouns were fine.

2AdEPT

If you're having trouble doing damage in Sen's, grab the Lightning Spear in there.

Past the second rock trap there is a chest in a room with a bunch of statues. That chest is a Mimic Box so don't open it. Instead, wait around until the rolling rocks you just ran away from fill up the hole at the end of the track you went down, then the next rock will destroy the wall, leading to the Covetous Serpent Ring. After that, just attack the Mimic, run out into the room where the ring was and lure the Mimic onto the track where the rocks roll down. Move out of the way and proceed to watch the Mimic get roflstomped by the rock. Grab Lightning Spear (should auto grab it in 1.05 if I recall right), profit.

I totally lucked out with that strategy last time as i was not strong enough to beat that mimc without the rolling ball....but he dodged the ball temporarily and I had to dodge him and ran into the ball myself just after it roflstomped him. Had what I thought was no health bar, but I must have had a sliver as I immediately healed and grabbed the loot....if I had died that character would have no lighhtning spear as it was a glowing ball by that point!

Duke's Archives, love the atmosphere but hate the enemy placement. The game truly changes from fair to annoying after Anor Londo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom