• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insaniac

Finally have had plenty of invasions, but not a single bit of co-op. Any advice for SL105?

NG+ smough and ornstein is a good place to get summoned.

I don't mind getting invaded, but its frustrating when its some glitched guy with pimped out gear who is kicking me and my friends ass repeatedly, keeping us from progressing further in the game.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Finally have had plenty of invasions, but not a single bit of co-op. Any advice for SL105?

Join one of the covenants that ups the chances, cast the miracle that ups the chances (if you want to summon), pick somewhere popular like AL (the bonfire inside for co-op, the boss door for pvp), New Londo (right down the stairs), Demon's Ruins, or Kiln.

Ourobolus

Banned
NG+ smough and ornstein is a good place to get summoned.

I don't mind getting invaded, but its frustrating when its some glitched guy with pimped out gear who is kicking me and my friends ass repeatedly, keeping us from progressing further in the game.
I've been hanging out in Anor Londo plenty - both the Darkmoon bonfire and the one inside the main building. There a better place to put my sign?

Join one of the covenants that ups the chances, cast the miracle that ups the chances, pick somewhere popular like AL (the bonfire inside for co-op, the boss door for pvp), New Londo (right down the stairs), Demon's Ruins, or Kiln.
I'm in Way of White right now (I'm trying to get one co-op boss in so I can join Sunbro).
Seek Guidance helps with my sign being seen? Really?

Insaniac

I've been hanging out in Anor Londo plenty - both the Darkmoon bonfire and the one inside the main building. There a better place to put my sign?

I'm in Way of White right now (I'm trying to get one co-op boss in so I can join Sunbro).

I just throw my sign down usually at the bottom of the big stairwell, or in the main hall before the boss

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This video has some pretty crazy PVP fights in Sens Fortress. I've never seen anyone use that inanimate object spell in the actual game.
I summoned someone to help me in Anor Londo last night and the first thing they did after greeting was turn into a vase. First time I'd seen it, had no idea there was anything like that! She just slid around, following me up to the huge staircase. I was crackin'...

I'm loving the whole 'communication' in general. I had a couple of guys with me at one point, showing me where stuff was and generally being badass, but they were like a comedy match made in heaven. Whenever we cleared an area of enemies, they would go two-handed and tap block really quickly to make a kind of "oi oi oi oi oi" gesture. I couldn't help joining in... xD

They would also open chests and doors for me, before standing either side and proceeding to do that same dance, as if egging me on. So funny, I can't wait to meet more folks like that.

I don't know about Seek Guidance helping with your sign being seen, but I usually find there are a bunch at the bottom of the spiral lift, just outside the door and down the steps. Recommend you try there.

Grinchy

Banned
Duke's Archives, love the atmosphere but hate the enemy placement. The game truly changes from fair to annoying after Anor Londo.

I felt the same way. I ended up liking it after the frustrations, but I thought it was a really poorly-designed area in terms of game mechanics.

elty

I was in Anor Londo trying to do some co-op. A few funny thing happens:

- Some dude summon me and another white phantom, then stood there after bowing. Me and another white phantom kept doing the beckon gesture, then he moved a bit and stood still again. After a few minutes I got a message from him, saying to kill the fat first.
- Summoned by some other dude later, and after we went in the host just held the shield up and doing defense. So both of us had no idea who he wants to kill and we were playing the dodge game for a minute. Finally the host realized this and hit the fatty once, so we proceeded to kill the fatty but then, he later switched to Ornstein so I have no idea if he really wants to kill Ornstein last.
- Summoned by another guy in full havel armor, encumbered. Went in and he hit Smough. As we began to smack Smough he cast iron flesh. I was like "good strategy" since I tried tanking the first phase and it worked. When Smough was almost dead he died, then I realized iron flesh is nerf....
- Summoned by some dude into black world. Then he ran away and some red phantom invaded. I thought the red would spawn in the hallway, so I wait there.... and nothing. After awhile I went upstair and just in time to witness the host getting killed.
- Summoned by the guy in full havel armor again. This time he did not bother with iron flesh. He died during my first attack on Smough.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Im fucking cursed! No, not in the game, IRL :(

Had RROD a month ago, fixed it myself, worked for a while and yesterday it was RROD again. I said fuck it. I went to buy a new 360 slim, 10 minutes out of the box, after updating and setting everything up, it freezes! My power supply is orange, means trouble.

I cant believe this, it didnt even work 15 mins!! ARGH. This game is killing me.

guise I wanna do a dex build and my plan is to get an Iaito to +15 since it gets A scaling then. Thing is I wanna be a darkwraith and to effectively do that I'll need to be a low level and to get to a point with where I'm dishing out good damage (40 dex) my level will be at least 50 and I'll only have around 20 vit/end then.

Have elemental weapons killed low level PVP melee builds?

What are the best ways to defeat Nito, the 4 kings & the last boss now that Iron Flesh is gimped.

I'm currently at the Tomb of Giants & haven't downloaded the patch yet.
Thinking of playing offline & beating Nito & then the 4 Kings at New Londo before d/ling the patch.

Sullichin

I'm disappointed that halfway through NG+, the lightning scythe +5 I made halfway through my first playthrough is still by FAR the most powerful weapon I have. I knew the greatsword of astoria wouldn't be that great with the base requirements, but it straight up sucks. It's slow and it can't even kill a rat in one hit. Totally wasted a bunch of levels to get that. My chaos furysword +5 with 10 humanity can't one-hit riposte a silver knight in Anor Londo with one hit, nor can my gravelord sword. It'd be nice if the gravelord sword could because it's slow. I understand that I can get more hits off with my furysword, but I have to walk around with a bunch of humanity for it to be powerful. My lightning scythe is the only thing that can 1-hit riposte an Anor Londo knight. I'm going to make a +15 Uchigatana, but i have to get the very large ember first. And I have a feeling I'll just be disappointed with the damage output like every other weapon I've made except for my lightning scythe. 31 DEX or something like that.

scosher

How does crystal magic weapon work? Does it just add a fixed amount of magic damage or it depends on the weapon?

Fixed amount of damage based on your magic adjust from the catalyst you use. CMW is 1.4x. Darkmoon Blade miracle is 1.8x to 2.1x, depending on your rank in the covenant. Sunlight Blade is 1.8x. Miracle enchants are stronger, but CMW also has the benefit of using Tin Crystallization Catalyst, which has the highest MagAdj of any catalyst/talisman.

Obviously fixed amount favors quick weapons. It's especially deadly on Ricard's Rapier, as the bonus applies to each hit of its multi-thrust R2 attack.

elty

So at 32 INT without using TCC it will just add 280 magic damage... well a lot for a rapier/dagger, not much for everything else.

Started NG+ and I really like the patch changes but man the game became way too easy, not even close to how hard Demon's Souls NG+ was (which I think was even harder than the first time) really disappointed

Did I overlevel ? ( I finished my first playthrough at SL93 and rocking a Dragon Tooth+5 and Lightning Spear+5)

I'm constintally staying human so I would get a lot of invaders and I think I'm 7-1 in beating them, PvP is so fun but man I hope the difficulty picks up soon, already cleared Blighttwon and will go to Sen's the next time I play.

elty

Just waited half an hour in Anor Londo, no summon whatsoever.

Anyone know why the sunbro doesn't show up in the Izaith shortcut area? I killed all 9 bugs, reload the game but he is not at the shortcut door. Last I have seen him is Anor Londo.

tokkun

Started NG+ and I really like the patch changes but man the game became way too easy, not even close to how hard Demon's Souls NG+ was (which I think was even harder than the first time) really disappointed

Did I overlevel ? ( I finished my first playthrough at SL93 and rocking a Dragon Tooth+5 and Lightning Spear+5)

I'm constintally staying human so I would get a lot of invaders and I think I'm 7-1 in beating them, PvP is so fun but man I hope the difficulty picks up soon, already cleared Blighttwon and will go to Sen's the next time I play.

The first part of NG+ is easy because you have maxed your weapons. It will become harder because you will not be able to increase your damage but the enemies will get more HP.

Also, I don't know if this was changed in the patch or not, but the enemies in NG++ do quite a bit of damage. The tree enemies in Darkroot can kill my 30 VIT character in 2 hits, and I'm wearing fully upgraded Black Iron armor. Capra one-shotted me.

Just waited half an hour in Anor Londo, no summon whatsoever.

Anyone know why the sunbro doesn't show up in the Izaith shortcut area? I killed all 9 bugs, reload the game but he is not at the shortcut door. Last I have seen him is Anor Londo.

You have to beat Centipede Demon to get him to show up.

Is 70 too high to help out on Ornstein and Smough? I've been mindlessly killing silver knights just for a background activity while hoping to be summoned and oddly it's not happening.

I would think this would be prime time for it as well.

Edit: Question was answered... it's not too high.

Eccocid

Just beat Bed of Chaos and Nito. Ugh those areas are so lame. Seriously, my jaw was on floor when i reached to Anor Londo for the first time,such a great vista and level with giant halls etc..but the areas after that are so boring, Lost Izalith lacks any sort of challenge, Tomb of Giants was quite easy once you know where to step on. I seriously dislike cavern style levels in both Souls games. I was amazed by the Duke's Archives but it wasn't long as i expected and didn't have anything interesting going on.

Nito was a very messy boss fight. I didn't even have any chance to see its attacks i was just running and spamming combustion and swinging fire zweihander randomly. Bed of Chaos was so annoying.. Took me like 15 tries. That jump to narrow path was so annoying lol.

Only that dragon left before last boss now. But i will hang out in Anor Londo for PvP and helping to others. I wish that area was much much much bigger. Oh and that painted world was an awesome level imo. I love fighting against knights etc.

Shit, sorry about the ads. They don't show up for me and I didn't even know that they were there.

Also, be careful going though that gallery. There are a few NSFW pics, but a bunch of really impressive artwork besides that.

JVIDICAN

I did originally, but they all went to 403 errors after a few minutes :/

The internet is weird. :/
Whatever, you could probably just shove a NSFW(ads) somewhere in your original post and be fine. :)

Is upgrading to raw weapon recommended? Can things like gold pine resin be applied to raw weapons?
I'd advise against it, in most cases your better off going with the regular upgrade route to +15 and getting the better stat scaling bonus.

The first part of NG+ is easy because you have maxed your weapons. It will become harder because you will not be able to increase your damage but the enemies will get more HP.

Also, I don't know if this was changed in the patch or not, but the enemies in NG++ do quite a bit of damage. The tree enemies in Darkroot can kill my 30 VIT character in 2 hits, and I'm wearing fully upgraded Black Iron armor. Capra one-shotted me.

Oh yeah, you remind me of a point I was gonna bring up. My VIT, END and STR are all 40-41, I don't think I'll be dumping anything in END anymore and right now I need to level STR twice so I can get one extra damage point to my dragon tooth, so that's gonna stop as well since it seems pointless. I started upping my DEX so I can use most weapons+dragon slayer bow, it's now at 18 and gonna stop at 20.

I really don't know what to level after that tbh, the only thing in my mind right now is to keep leveling VIT since more hp never hurts.

It's like all of his bros you fought, you get behind him and hack away. His downward chop can be easily rolled away and as long as you stay on his butt it's a pretty easy win.

Darkwood grain ring is probably the biggest help for the fight.

My problem is I just can't get the timing right. When I enter the boss room, he always charges and does the overhead swinging attack. I try to dodge it but he ends up connecting 90% of time, which knocks out most of my health and I spend the entire battle on my back foot trying to roll away quick enough to heal. Bleh. I'll get it one of these times.

Zzoram

Dunno how you guys can still be complaining about Lost Izalith. The boss is horrible, yes, but the zone is super easy to clear. I just ran past all the dinosaur butts without getting hit, got the bonfire, then got out of the lava. Really short run, really easy to dodge them all if you're below 50% max weight.

How the heck to I make a trasparent background in Gimp? I tried doing a fuzzy select +paste as new layer, but when I save it and upload it still gives me that plain white background. HALP

EDIT: Abyss sucks, and so do the Four Kings. Worst fight in the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Beat the Four Kings today. It was a complete breeze. Lightning Claymore +5, stamina boosting shield and mask, killed each one with at least 10 seconds to spare before the next spawned. I think I might be overpowered, or maybe they're only hard for certain classes that aren't badass* melee like mine.

*badass only when it comes to PvE

Are you saving it as a .gif or .png?

png

EDIT: just tried it as .gif. The background shows up as transparent on the desktop thumbnail as well, but it gives me the white background on here.
EDIT2: DAMMNIT! Got the transparency, but now it looks like jaggy shit -_-
EDIT3: Eh, that's good enough.

So I had a few cousins at my place for thanksgiving today and sat them down with Dark Souls. One is at the tail end of high school, the other is in his late 20s. Both are avid video gamers. I have to admit, I was really amused by how hard they got rocked by this game.

Scenester

thanks so much redswirl for your awesome custom cover!

I was dog-sitting some puppies and they chewed my Dark Souls case to hell, so I'm replacing my case and insert with your one. Sooooo much better than the official boxart!

Scenester

Is upgrading to raw weapon recommended? Can things like gold pine resin be applied to raw weapons?

I'm not really sure. You will get a short advantage with a raw weapon, but other upgrades will outclass raw weapons very quickly. Best to just save your materials, and choose weapon upgrades with scaling to match your main stats.

i.e. my first char was a caster, so I used magic weapon upgrades so my swords would scale with my INT

Looks like the boosted humanity's item discovery. You can now reach the 410 level cap with only 10 humanity.

First humanity used to get me 20, now it's 50 and the one after that only gives 8, so I just use the serpent ring with 1 humanity since I don't think more will be any different.

pmj

Can someone just fix my avatar for me please? I give up.

I did my best, but my best isn't very good.
orn2zeugp.png

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else getting a message about their port number not being correct?

I suddenly started getting this message today when trying to play online.
I'm logged into PSN, and my internet is working fine. Nothing's changed this end...

EDIT: Never mind, looks like the problem fixed itself.

Mephala

Post patch I'm seeing a lot more, well, faster pvp match ups. I also seem to get Gravelords tempering with my world a lot more. I've only found one marking so far though and was promptly slain soon after the battle. He was nice though, bowed to and everything before kicking my ass.

web01

The new patch is fucking amazing.
Had a blast last night being a sunbro in the painted world lvl 97, with one player's world I got summoned into we got invaded eight times and dispatched them all (every fight was close and not an easy win) before we finally got to the end and killed the boss.

roxya

Same here.

Supposedly it "makes your game harder" or something. Never noticed anything; it's obviously rather pointless subtle.

If it works you'll get extra enemies in your world that are like "red phantoms" and do extra damage/have higher HP than their normal versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom