• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

What do Gravelords do anyway ?

I found one in my first playthrough in the crystal cave but I didn't bother to do it at the time

It transforms your world to something like the "pure black world tendency" in Demon's Souls. Enemies become harder to kill and some black phantom versions will appear.

I did my best, but my best isn't very good.
orn2zeugp.png

Merci beaucoup monsieur.

Anor Londo is such an awesome place. It has so much sense of scale. You get the sense the world was a beautiful, grand place before it was infested with all of these monsters.

REALLY glad I summoned someone for the boss fight, however. The guy I was with fucked them up and we still had quite a fight on our hands. Did it first time, though! :D

The ability to warp between bonfires is very welcome at this point.

patch worked wonders for me, got summoned almost right away (had to often wait 30-60min before....) wherever i dropped my sign. even tried a rather obscure place to leave a summon sign (some stairs at the Depths) and i got picked up IMMEDIATELY lol.

i wonder what the hell they tweaked :D

ahh man, it's so fun having a more active online experience, i just LOVE to be summoned and act as a bodyguard to others with my badass lvl 38 character. saved many hosts going through The Depths and Blighttown from sneaky invaders last night, feels good man. those min-maxed bastards looking to grief lower level players are in for a surprise when they see me lunging towards them with a Lightning Washing Pole +5.

NOW this is the best game of the year. finally it works like i expected it to! although i wonder if the Gravelord stuff works now.... might try it out to find out.

edit: ohh yeah and it's awesome to have the japanese community back, some of them are just bizarre :D one guy had layed out like 20 different weapons and let me pick up a few of them before killing me (got a Black Knight Sword which i didnt have and some other stuff). wtf, WHY!? reminds me of the time some japanese fella summoned me in Demon's Souls just to give me some of the rarest weapons in the game (and i was so low level i didn't even understand they were rare, maxed out Bladestone weapon etc).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Duke's Archives, love the atmosphere but hate the enemy placement. The game truly changes from fair to annoying after Anor Londo.
IMO Duke's Archives is the most likable of the
three big Lord dungeons
. Duke's Archives is cheap but you can still do some luring and grouping together, provided you have a bow (and a lot of patience for shitty fence/pillar hitboxes that eat arrows). The others are just tedious.

I'm really amazed at how bad some of the game's dungeons are. I thought I would love every bit of this game until I did Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith (long route) back to back. Ugh.

Dorrin

Had three fairly good rounds of jolly cooperation last night in the Giant Tomb. I also finally was able to invade with the blue eye orb. Pretty funny watching the two of us slowly walking around in the pitch black trying to find each other, think Richard Prior in 'Hear no Evil See no Evil'. I found him first but slipped off a small ledge, then walked back up to him only to get two shotted with wraith of gods.

Septimius

Oh my! The patch is out? Why did I decide to go here when I am supposed to continue reading for two more hours?! Patch notes? (1.05?)

I really want Siegmeier of Catarina (Onion Knight) fan art. I've been keeping an eye out for something to change my avatar with.

Thank you! I am so excited, I'm just gonna have to scrap the next hour of reading and just go home right now! That is one hot Ornstein. Let's from a Orsteinbro-covenant.

also, from the patch notes:
Giant Blacksmith (Fapsmith): Sells [...]

haha

Those patch notes are crazy - they changed so much stuff. Makes me feel kinda proud I ran through NG+++ without the patch. But then again, it also makes me sad that I did that, too. Looks like I could have saved hours of farming if I had just waited for the patch. :(

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
So many signs have high ratings numbers now, pressing select twice to rate a message was such an underrated fix. I've gotten like 5 humanity from message ratings and I'm only in Depths in NG+ (started NG+ when the patch came).

Minamu

OMG ran into my first gravelord enemy. It was a huge red silver knight in Anor Londo :D But right in the middle of the fight, before I even landed a blow on it, the Gravelord died, and so did my enemy lol. Too bad I got nothing for it.

Did they fix the hydra glithc where you got aneasy auto win? Been trying to get him to glitch for half an hour now I think. He just sits there on the right side from where you enter the area (I'm standing by the dragon).

Did they fix the hydra glithc where you got aneasy auto win? Been trying to get him to glitch for half an hour now I think. He just sits there on the right side from where you enter the area (I'm standing by the dragon).

He has to be on the left when you are at the dragon. What happens is that he is far enough where is AI doesn't activate, so the game tells it to return to it's idle position. Because he AI isn't on, can't jump, but because he has no way to actually interact with the geometry of the land, the game freaks out and kills it so it doesn't glitch to hell or crash the game.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean. I guess they disabled that routine then.

As big as this game is, looking at the IGN guide index I have 6 more areas to go through now. That's probably a good 15 hours of gameplay, if not more, but still... it's one of those games I just don't want to end. I can always do NG+ or co-op I know, but I love this world and exploring it. When I've seen everything I'm going to be very sad :(

Minamu

He has to be on the left when you are at the dragon. What happens is that he is far enough where is AI doesn't activate, so the game tells it to return to it's idle position. Because he AI isn't on, can't jump, but because he has no way to actually interact with the geometry of the land, the game freaks out and kills it so it doesn't glitch to hell or crash the game.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean. I guess they disabled that routine then.
Yeah, I left it going for quite some time, and he just sat there, though it did look like hewas trying to get onto the ground, but couldn't. He was pretty easy in cover by the tree in the middle with a dragonslayer greatbow+5 though :D

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm in the Catacomb's lower level right now, right where the cartwheels are located. Why is there a brick wall between me and Vamos? I know there's a shortcut to get to him, but I didn't want to risk so I chose the safe route. Even the guide is telling me "kill the cartwheels, head to the smith" with no mentions of this wall.

HELP

i may have messed things up for myself.

Im on NG+ and went down the catacombs and used the short cut to get to Pinwheel boss (jumping off ledges from the first bonfire down to pinwheel) so i have NOT spun any of the spiked bridges over at all.

Anyway from Pinwheel got to the fog door near Nito and its a Yellow fog gate and i can't pass, at this point i realised i've gone here without getting the Lords Vessel.

No problem i back track back to the catacombs but now im stuck as i can't cross a bridge as i never spun the spikes over earlier.

Am i done for?

Last bonfire i used was in Tomb of the Giants so does that mean Homeward bound is useless? What are my options of getting back to the firelink shrine??

As big as this game is, looking at the IGN guide index I have 6 more areas to go through now. That's probably a good 15 hours of gameplay, if not more, but still... it's one of those games I just don't want to end. I can always do NG+ or co-op I know, but I love this world and exploring it. When I've seen everything I'm going to be very sad :(

Are you liking the "story", setting and lore more now? :p

HELP

i have NOT spun any of the spiked bridges over at all.

Fuck, that sounds bad man. I'm no expert but I can't think of any way to get you out of there, really.

one85x

HELP

Im on NG+ and went down the catacombs and used the short cut to get to Pinwheel boss (jumping off ledges from the first bonfire down to pinwheel) so i have NOT spun any of the spiked bridges over at all.

Anyway from Pinwheel got to the fog door near Nito and its a Yellow fog gate and i can't pass, at this point i realised i've gone here without getting the Lords Vessel.

No problem i back track back to the catacombs but now im stuck as i can't cross a bridge as i never spun the spikes over earlier.

Am i done for?

Last bonfire i used was in Tomb of the Giants so does that mean Homeward bound is useless? What are my options of getting back to the firelink shrine??
In the room you're stuck in (right before the bridge), there should be a wall you can break. Break the wall, jump down, and there will be a side path that leads back to the upper levels.

roxya

HELP

Am i done for?

I suppose you could try to get someone to help by invading you. Invaders can switch stuff right?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
In the Tomb of the Giants, after receiving Patch's lovely shove, the wiki goes...

[Redacted]

Stupid wiki. Rhea's guards were hollow.

Eccocid

You know there are to paths at the valley in the bottom of catacombs, one exit leads to Pinwheel and Tomb of Giants and other one leads in to a small room with few archer skeletons.

In that room with archer skeletons there were 2 white glowing rings on the floor. Looked like the glowing golden ring at the boss area of Sen's Fortress(ya know the one which leads you to Anor London). What were those white rings? A glitch? I tried to interact with them but nothing happened. I went there again later and they were still at there...

You know there are to paths at the valley in the bottom of catacombs, one exit leads to Pinwheel and Tomb of Giants and other one leads in to a small room with few archer skeletons.

In that room with archer skeletons there were 2 white glowing rings on the floor. Looked like the glowing golden ring at the boss area of Sen's Fortress(ya know the one which leads you to Anor London). What were those white rings? A glitch? I tried to interact with them but nothing happened. I went there again later and they were still at there...

That sounds like a resonance sign to me. When someone else uses a miracle you're supposed to be able to see a resonance sign in your world. This is supposed to boost the power of that particular miracle if you use it. Never seen one pre patch but the patch was supposed to get them working.

Eccocid

That sounds like a resonance sign to me. When someone else uses a miracle you're supposed to be able to see a resonance sign in your world. This is supposed to boost the power of that particular miracle if you use it. Never seen one pre patch but the patch was supposed to get them working.

Meh i got no miracles nor sorcery ;_; only pyromancy

It transforms your world to something like the "pure black world tendency" in Demon's Souls. Enemies become harder to kill and some black phantom versions will appear.

I figured as much once I read about them back at E3, However no black phantoms, but were those non respwaning Golems at the crystal bridges belonged to the Gravelord ?

Babiou

Neo Member
Just played few hours - facing the moonlight butterfly - and totally amazed by the melancholia of this game... Its "not saying a word" style turns it into one of the most moving thing i've ever experienced in games... this Butterfly flying around his tower... with no posing cutscene or fake backstory needed. It's just there!

Could use few more fireballs though.

2AdEPT

In the room you're stuck in (right before the bridge), there should be a wall you can break. Break the wall, jump down, and there will be a side path that leads back to the upper levels.

What? THere is a secret path I have not found? You realize he is on the bonewheel skeleton area which leads to a.) couple ladders that only fall back down to the pit eventaully, b. TOTG and pinwheel, which only leads back to this same pit, and the blacksmith, no way up. Are you sure you cvan get out of there? Please be more descriptive if indeed you know what you aretalking about??!!? :)

I thought his comment about bridges was irrelevant becuase I could'nt even get that far up to be even able to use any bridge, spiked or not...sounds like you are talking about the wall to the darkmoon seance ring area.

My only answer for the guy was to level up as much as possible down there and clear TOTG, as I have never found a way out of there without using homeward, or warp....but a secret wall somewhere would be VERY USEFUL! Usually the guide is bang on explaining secret panels etc, but perhaps they missed this one?

theta11

What? THere is a secret path I have not found? You realize he is on the bonewheel skeleton area which leads to a.) couple ladders that only fall back down to the pit eventaully, b. TOTG and pinwheel, which only leads back to this same pit, and the blacksmith, no way up. Are you sure you cvan get out of there? Please be more descriptive if indeed you know what you aretalking about??!!? :)

I thought his comment about bridges was irrelevant becuase I could'nt even get that far up to be even able to use any bridge, spiked or not...sounds like you are talking about the wall to the darkmoon seance ring area.

My only answer for the guy was to level up as much as possible down there and clear TOTG, as I have never found a way out of there without using homeward, or warp....but a secret wall somewhere would be VERY USEFUL! Usually the guide is bang on explaining secret panels etc, but perhaps they missed this one?

The is a room with a breakable wall that leads you all the way back up to where the 2nd Necromancer is before all the bridges.

The broken wall path you guys are referring to does indeed lead to Darkmoon seance ring, but also leads to another path as well (upper levels).

Anor Londo is such an awesome place. It has so much sense of scale. You get the sense the world was a beautiful, grand place before it was infested with all of these monsters.

REALLY glad I summoned someone for the boss fight, however. The guy I was with fucked them up and we still had quite a fight on our hands. Did it first time, though! :D

The ability to warp between bonfires is very welcome at this point.
First time victory on O&S is something to be proud of!

He did like 65% of the work to be fair. His weapon did 3x more damage than mine.

Also, is there a way to get to the troll that opens the gate to Sen's Fortress? I can see him when I'm at the top but I can't find a way to get to him. If I can kick his ass, I want to!

Ill Saint

Also, is there a way to get to the troll that opens the gate to Sen's Fortress? I can see him when I'm at the top but I can't find a way to get to him. If I can kick his ass, I want to!

On entering Sen's, drop straight down at the very first set of swinging guillotines. To your left is a small staircase leading to a room with a ladder. Hit the wall facing you when you get to the top, and climb up another ladder to reach the giant.

Ah fucks sake! Sometimes I hate these hidden walls if there isn't a nice message telling you :( 20 mins wasted there!

Thanks. Off I go to fight the fat bastard :)

Edit: Wow he went down quick. Got the last chunk I need to make my Lightning Spear +5 too :D Definitely worth it.

TheFatOne

This is the first time I am frustrated with the game because of poor game design. I got stuck in Anor Londa because I had no idea you needed to walk onto something in order to get into the chapel thing, and now I spent an hour trying to figure out how to open the painting up. Got fed up at that point and googled it. Now I know I need a doll to enter. Just poor game design.

Edit: I'm not playing online which is probably part of the problem, but I shouldn't be penalized for not playing online.

EasyMode

This is the first time I am frustrated with the game because of poor game design. I got stuck in Anor Londa because I had no idea you needed to walk onto something in order to get into the chapel thing, and now I spent an hour trying to figure out how to open the painting up. Got fed up at that point and googled it. Now I know I need a doll to enter. Just poor game design.

Edit: I'm not playing online which is probably part of the problem, but I shouldn't be penalized for not playing online.

The painting is completely optional, that's why you can miss the doll. You can continue on and finish Anor Londo without it.

elty

I used to be able to warp to the abyss, but now that option is gone for some reason? I don't want to go through new Londo again (with 30 humanity).

Can anyone suggest a good coop place for SL120? I tried Anor Londo (bottom of stair to the boss), but waited 30 minutes with no summon.

Sullichin

I used to be able to warp to the abyss, but now that option is gone for some reason? I don't want to go through new Londo again (with 30 humanity).

Can anyone suggest a good coop place for SL120? I tried Anor Londo (bottom of stair to the boss), but waited 30 minutes with no summon.

Try the indoor bonfire in Anor Londo. When I place my sign near the boss, I more often get nothing or placed in PVP Dark Londo.

After the patch though, i've been summoned for gaping dragon at lvl 120...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom