• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be someone on an abnormally high playthrough. I have a friend who is on NG+++++++++++ (11th playthrough), and all the enemies are extremely difficult even for a level 300 player.

Holy crap, I literally can't fathom how the game can still hold one's interest after that many playthroughs on the same character. Or at all.

Septimius

That stupid ledge man. That made me just want to stop playing this game. Good to know that the painting is optional.

Yeah, I agree. That ledge, combined with the archers in Anor Londo is part of "stupid hard", and not fun hard. It's just plain annoying.

Could be someone on an abnormally high playthrough

Gaping dragon at SL120? Could be anything from NG (if this is someone that glitched to get to SL120 for a PvP char) to NG+++, normally. Sound plausible.

elty

New page:

I used to be able to warp to the abyss, but now that option is gone for some reason? I don't want to go through new Londo again (with 30 humanity).

Edit: Only thing I did in between is joining the forest hunter, PvP a few times to get the fog ring, then killed Shiva. I did not talk to Framkt with the Lordvessel.

Septimius

New page:

I used to be able to warp to the abyss, but now that option is gone for some reason? I don't want to go through new Londo again (with 30 humanity).

Edit: Only thing I did in between is joining the forest hunter, PvP a few times to get the fog ring, then killed Shiva.

That sounds strange. It really should be a cake-walk to get to the bonfire from Firelink, though. If you just leg it past the first two ghosts, up the stairs, drop onto the ledge with the ladder, continue to leg it through Ingward's house, but just so you get to the other side close to where you drain the water, just outside the house you can drop down from there pretty much straight onto the entrance to The Four Kings. Aside from that one Darkwraith in the corner near where you drop, you're clear. And you'll just leg it over the bridge and then drop all the way into the Abyss.

Did Kaathe show up for you? I don't know if offending him would make the option disappear. But I doubt it. I can't really think of another reason why that would happen. I'd go and check the bonfire. Maybe the patch somehow dropped it, and you'll get it back by revisiting it. My first guess, anyway.

elty

That sounds strange. It really should be a cake-walk to get to the bonfire from Firelink, though. If you just leg it past the first two ghosts, up the stairs, drop onto the ledge with the ladder, continue to leg it through Ingward's house, but just so you get to the other side close to where you drain the water, just outside the house you can drop down from there pretty much straight onto the entrance to The Four Kings. Aside from that one Darkwraith in the corner near where you drop, you're clear. And you'll just leg it over the bridge and then drop all the way into the Abyss.

Did Kaathe show up for you? I don't know if offending him would make the option disappear. But I doubt it. I can't really think of another reason why that would happen. I'd go and check the bonfire. Maybe the patch somehow dropped it, and you'll get it back by revisiting it. My first guess, anyway.

Yea. He did the swallow thing and Frampt is pissed off about me, so I didn't do that part wrong.

My sense of direction is bad. Everytime I drop to the ledge I was confused which way I should go. My success rate of running to the boss door like that is probably 1 in 3.

Yeah, I agree. That ledge, combined with the archers in Anor Londo is part of "stupid hard", and not fun hard. It's just plain annoying.

I think I must be the only person who didn't really find the archers cheap and actually kind of enjoyed them. Maybe Sniper Alley in Halo 2 toughened me up or something, I dunno.

For those of you who never played Halo 2, Sniper Alley was an infamous section of one of the first levels where the game pitted you against over a dozen sniper Jackals in a narrow alley. They have the high ground, you have some crates. On the highest difficulty, these kill you in one hit, are laser-accurate and very quick on the trigger, and several of them spawn at once. It required brute force memorization and lightning-quick reflexes to kill them all on a ridiculous level.

Woah, playing without elemental weapons has been painful so far (top of Sen's)

Took out Stray Demon using an Iaito. The hits were doing dick, but every 4 or so the bleed set in and it took off a nice little chunk.

I'm doing like, no damage to anything unless it's a backstab/riposte.

The real Dark Souls starts yadda yadda

Septimius

Yea. He did the swallow thing and Frampt is pissed off about me, so I didn't do that part wrong.

My sense of direction is bad. Everytime I drop to the ledge I was confused which way I should go. My success rate of running to the boss door like that is probably 1 in 3.

Then I'd run past the two first ghosts, run to the right, not up the stairs, and drop down to the shallow pool there. Just don't stand exposed to the doorway that's right in front of you when you drop, and you'll just get a couple of Darkwraiths on you. Then you can either leg it, or make your way to the abyss entrance. Safest bet. If you get swarmed against all odds, at least your souls are super easy to come back to.

I think I must be the only person who didn't really find the archers cheap and actually kind of enjoyed them. Maybe Sniper Alley in Halo 2 toughened me up or something, I dunno.

It's just that it's such a huge risk vs reward. If you die, all your souls and humanity will be lying pretty much on top of the archers. That's not ideal. I've probably lost 40 humanity to those guys, so fuck them. The problem is really that you die from one hit, no matter what, and when you finally reach one, the other is sniping you in the back, while you have to react to one going melee

the other is sniping you in the back, while you have to react to one going melee

I went for the one on the right, and the guy on the left never even took a shot. I think he was blocked by the building, actually. I had more difficulty with the pink gargoyle demons than the archers.

I went for the one on the right, and the guy on the left never even took a shot. I think he was blocked by the building, actually. I had more difficulty with the pink gargoyle demons than the archers.

Yeah, same here. The bit just before the archers where you have to fight two gargoyles at once killed me loads, I only died to the archers once.

elty

For the first time I use hidden body and sneak up to the archer. Then it was a painful duel as lightening spear sucks in Anor Londo. Second time I just ran towards the right and the left never shoot me.

Minamu

A friend of mine was over lvl 200 in ng before he even tried to beat Gwyn o_O I have no idea what he was doing with his time. He was not glitching though.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but the Capra Demon is an absolute shitty mess of a boss fight. It is by far harder than any boss from Demon's Souls, and it's not even legitimate difficulty. There is no reason the camera should go through walls if the walls aren't going to turn invisible to compensate. The dogs move faster than you and for some reason they can block your movement by surrounding you. Not sure how the designers of Flamelurker and False King went to something like this.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but the Capra Demon is an absolute shitty mess of a boss fight. It is by far harder than any boss from Demon's Souls, and it's not even legitimate difficulty. There is no reason the camera should go through walls if the walls aren't going to turn invisible to compensate. The dogs move faster than you and for some reason they can block your movement by surrounding you. Not sure how the designers of Flamelurker and False King went to something like this.

Immediately dodge to the left, up the stairs, kill the dogs, kite the demon while taking potshots during its recovery phases until it dies.

There's a bit of luck involved-sometimes you'll get surrounded and turned into mulch no matter what- but it's really not that bad once you figure out the trick.

But the dogs are to the left. If you go to the left then the dogs surround you and then you die.

Just keep rollin' for those stairs. You'll make it eventually. You basically have to get up the stairs as FAST AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. The first 3 seconds of the fight is the hardest; chances are, if you survive the initial blitz, you'll be able to beat it fairly easily as long as you don't get cocky.

No, what I mean is that the dogs are in the way. It is not possible at all to consistently make it to the stairs whether you jump or roll, because the dogs can block you. Three hours after getting to this fight, I'm convinced that this is only winnable by luck because the only way to get past the dogs is to hope they let you past. The few times I did make it to the stairs, the dogs are never vulnerable again, and the two times I managed to kill them, I had to use every estus flask I had just to get my health back up to fight the boss (who, by himself, would be easy if he had a bigger room).

EDIT: Okay yeah, I got past the fight. I still think that was a crappy fight. I wish they had just toned down the dogs; that would have made it reasonable.

Zzoram

For those of you who never played Halo 2, Sniper Alley was an infamous section of one of the first levels where the game pitted you against over a dozen sniper Jackals in a narrow alley. They have the high ground, you have some crates. On the highest difficulty, these kill you in one hit, are laser-accurate and very quick on the trigger, and several of them spawn at once. It required brute force memorization and lightning-quick reflexes to kill them all on a ridiculous level.

The Anor Lando archers aren't even hard. Just run and their arrows won't hit you. Go right so the left one can't shoot you. Once you get close enough, he puts away his bow. If you stand near the corner, he'll come at you and fall off the ledge.

With Capra, go right then go left up the stairs. Only one of the dogs approaches you at the beginning, the other doesn't get aroused until you approach the stairs.

After you take out the dogs Capra is a piece of cake. If he does his leap attack get the fuck out of the way though (unless you have an awesome shield+stamina)

Took Sen's and Anor Lando today, it was really fun since there was a lot of invaders which is basically the only thing that gets the heart pumping since even though this is my NG+ it's still easy or I guess not as hard as I hoped.

Beat O&S on my first try too, this time was a bit harder since I was going for Smough first, but Solaire manged to occupy Ornstein while I took half of Smough health.

Going to New Lando next. Hopefully 4 Kings are as challenging as people say.

Daante

Anyone playing like this? :p

316888_249065591807609_119212621459574_610964_1390321916_n.jpg

I don't understand people having issues with Capra Demon, once you reach the top of the stairs, there is a virtually safe place, where you can kill the dogs one on one while the Demon can only reach you with its leap attack easily blocked with a shield. From there you can cheese him any way you want.

I don't understand people having issues with Capra Demon, once you reach the top of the stairs, there is a virtually safe place, where you can kill the dogs one on one while the Demon can only reach you with its leap attack easily blocked with a shield. From there you can cheese him any way you want.

I don't think any of his attacks were blockable, especially not the jumping slash. And the problem is that it's virtually impossible to get to the stairs in the first place.

Yo Gotti

Banned
I don't think any of his attacks were blockable, especially not the jumping slash. And the problem is that it's virtually impossible to get to the stairs in the first place.

All of Capra Demon's attacks are blockable. Though it's not a good idea to try when you're being mobbed by him and the dogs.

He's really not hard at all, once you go through the door you've got 4-5 seconds to make your move to get past him, that's pretty much the only challenge to Capra Demon. I recommend running to the right, watch him carefully for his first attack, then roll past when you've got the chance.

Run to the stairs or to the back of the arena and kill the dogs asap, once he's alone he's a piece of cake.

EDIT: Capra Demon is sort of like Flamelurker in that he's the first boss that hits hard and keeps the pressure on you, but just like Flamelurker, if you keep your composure, mind your environment and fight him methodically, he'll go down easily. The biggest mistake you can make fighting him is to panic and try to just run for it. Do that and you'll die every time.

I just got the Dragon Greatsword. It needs 50 strength. I'm at 32. I'm level 85. No grinding in the world is going to get me to 50 at this point.

Sad panda.

:(

Get your STR to 33 and two hand it (you get a %50 str bonus when 2 handing a weapon if you didn't know), although unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend that since having a shield is very important.

Ah I didn't know that! But yeah, a shield is probably more important and the damage the sword would do wouldn't be worth it.

My character is kinda jack of all trades, master of none. I was that way in Demon's Souls, too. One day I need to make a character that is just a beast with magic or melee.

Shito

I'm hoping that with the patch I'll finally be able to summon someone and kill EFFIN NITO
I found Nito to be reeeeeaally easy to defeat. If you have a divine weapon, just +15 the bonfire, kill the first 3 small skeletons (while staying in the starting zone so not to aggro the big ones) with the divine weapon, and harass Nito with your most effective weapon/spell in-between two heals.

Soulhouf

Capra Demon is the only boss who never hit me even once (NG+3 here). With a good shield it's by far the easiest boss in the game. You can easily block every attack of his providing you have a good shield and stamina.

Septimius

Ah I didn't know that! But yeah, a shield is probably more important and the damage the sword would do wouldn't be worth it.

My character is kinda jack of all trades, master of none. I was that way in Demon's Souls, too. One day I need to make a character that is just a beast with magic or melee.

The most powerful characters are those that go STR, DEX | INT, FAI <- pick one on each side.

That's the only important thing when you're making a mean character. You can also stick to one side up to level 80. Meaning, if you're less than level 80, you're probably best off reaching 40 in DEX before then using the next 30 levels to get 40 in INT. Or the other way around. But you don't need more than 40 in a skill. Well, except FAI - that's why I don't use FAI

scosher

Man I don't think they upped the drop rate of slabs at all. Took me an hour of New Londo farming just to get one, with each run taking at most 4 minutes of clearing 9 darkwraiths. Still need another to upgrade this Knight Armor to +10

Received the game and don't know how to start. Do you guys have a recommendation for a pure magic-based build that focuses on maximum damage dealing? I played through Demon's Souls with this fantastic build and became unstoppable towards the end (which I love).
There are some guides out there but I'm afraid they've been invalidated by the latest patch. So, should I take a pyro or a sorcerer? I don't care which one is the easier starting class but which one turns into the better damage dealer in the long run.

scosher

Received the game and don't know how to start. Do you guys have a recommendation for a pure magic-based build that focuses on maximum damage dealing? I played through Demon's Souls with this fantastic build and became unstoppable towards the end (which I love).
There are some guides out there but I'm afraid they've been invalidated by the latest patch. So, should I take a pyro or a sorcerer? I don't care which one is the easier starting class but which one turns into the better damage dealer in the long run.

Sorceries are your best option for a pure mage build as pyromancies are more for a melee hybrid (and require no stat investment). You can start as the pyro though since you have access to sorceries early on (take elevator to New Londo Ruins from Firelink Shrine at start of game, and there's a blacksmith who sells sorceries down some stairs around the right corner). Pyromancers also have the best (tied with Wanderer) stat spread for sorcerors/spellsword builds.

^ Pyro is excellent for a first playthough and useful in PVP as well. But it tops out at ascended Pyro flame +5 and doesn't require or scale with stats as far as I know.

With sorcery/INT builds weapons, shields & spells scale with stats and items but sorcery is very slow and clunky and pretty much useless for PVP against anyone with decent enough speed and timing to dodge your spells.

The most powerful characters are those that go STR, DEX | INT, FAI <- pick one on each side.

That's the only important thing when you're making a mean character. You can also stick to one side up to level 80. Meaning, if you're less than level 80, you're probably best off reaching 40 in DEX before then using the next 30 levels to get 40 in INT. Or the other way around. But you don't need more than 40 in a skill. Well, except FAI - that's why I don't use FAI

STR, DEX, INT, VIT and DEF are the five I have spread out pretty evenly, I believe.

I feel strong so it's all good.

I didn't plan on doing a hybrid build as I love magic. Is there a difference between these two aside from the different stats at the beginning? Can a sorcerer cast better spells in the endgame or do both classes have access to all spells in the game?

Furthermore, I heard the pyro was nerfed in v1.05 - what about the sorcerer?

Is there something like a Kris Blade (Demon's Souls) that boosts your magic drastically? In Demon's Souls I equipped a Talisman of Beasts (allowed me to cast spells and miracles, both, and scaled the damaged based on intelligence AND faith!) in my left and a Kris Blad in my right only for the damage buff - Its only physical purpose was to destroy crates. Are there items similar to these two in Dark Souls?

Thank you!

edit: Sorcerer is useless in PvP? :( Is there no Fire Spray spell any longer? Can you guys recommend me a kickass build that's suited for PvE and PvP? I know it's irrational, but I can't enojoy an RPG when I'm not headed for the best build possible.

scosher

I didn't plan on doing a hybrid build as I love magic. Is there a difference between these two aside from the different stats at the beginning? Can a sorcerer cast better spells in the endgame or do both classes have access to all spells in the game?

Is there something like a Kris Blade (Demon's Souls) that boosts your magic drastically? In Demon's Souls I equipped a Talisman of Beasts (allowed me to cast spells and miracles, both, and scaled the damaged based on intelligence AND faith!) in my left and a Kris Blad in my right only for the damage buff - Its only physical purpose was to destroy crates. Are there items similar to these two in Dark Souls?

Thank you!

Well you don't have to be a "hybrid" to be a spellsword in this game, which I'm sure you know if you've played Demon's Souls. Just upgrade a weapon to Enchanted (same as Moon/Crescent in Demon's Souls), and only up Str/Dex to min requirements for weapon. So you can be a capable melee fighter while also having spells.

There's no Talisman of Beasts, and no weapon that boosts spell power. But there's a ring (20% bonus) and a helm (Crown of Dusk, 20% bonus) that stack that lets you decimate bosses with magic.

Thank you!

edit: Sorcerer is useless in PvP? :( Is there no Fire Spray spell any longer? Can you guys recommend me a kickass build that's suited for PvE and PvP? I know it's irrational, but I can't enojoy an RPG when I'm not headed for the best build possible.
Only difference is starting stats.

Any class can have access to all the spells in the game provided their INT is high enough.

Pyro is more of a weapon that you upgrade by spending souls just like you would at a blacksmith. It's totally irrelevant to your build or stats.

IMO sorcerer has the best starting stats for the build you are looking for with good INT and 3 Attunement slots off the bat.

And Sorcerer's aren't necessarily "useless" in PVP because you can get certain swords and other weapons to be very powerful by letting them scale with your stats. However, trying to use sorcery spells as your main weapon in PVP is basically useless imo. Fire Spray type spells etc. are Pyromancy, which again, has nothing whatsoever to do with your stats or your build.

Septimius

Thank you!

Firstly, I see no reason to go both FAI and INT. Magic isn't useless in PvP. You should always get pyromancy, just because it requires nothing. I'm sure you can get really powerful by using just magic, but there's no doubt that in DaS, the most powerful builds are likely to be hybrid builds. I have 40 in DEX and 40 in INT (because of diminishing return, there's no reason to go higher to me), and while someone that has 70 INT instead can do 20% more damage, they don't have a weapon that does insane damage, too.

I've also heard this game is less welcoming to a pure build. You could use only melee and only magic through DeS, but it seems melee users have to rely on pyro or magic at some points, and the other way around. Also, Fire Spray is now a pyromancy. The fact that pyromancy is nerfed doesn't mean its nerfed to be bad, just nerfed to not be completely overpowered.

Like DeS, there is no difference in starting class. They all get the same in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom