• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxya

Just being pedantic, but it requires souls - souls that could be used for other things. Again, just saying.

Souls are always farmable but in a PvP build, stats are limited (assuming you want to stay in an active PvP level range).

But yeah, in a first playthrough, pumping too many souls into your flame will hurt you elsewhere. Like when you get to Quelaag and she laughs at your fireballs. It's just...

... it's a huge shame that you can do pretty much the whole game with two weapons that don't require stats for damage at all (Drake Sword --> Lightning [spear/whatever you want]). Did the Dragon +5 weapons last until the end of the game in Demon's? I never used one.

EasyMode

Guys, how successful are you at summoning other players? I don't have any issues being summoned by random players, but summoning others seems to have a 50% success rate at best. I get the "Failed to summon" message when it doesn't work and my PS3 connection is NAT2.

I'm just wondering if this is common, or if it's a problem on my end.

ashk

I've also heard this game is less welcoming to a pure build. You could use only melee and only magic through DeS, but it seems melee users have to rely on pyro or magic at some points, and the other way around. Also, Fire Spray is now a pyromancy. The fact that pyromancy is nerfed doesn't mean its nerfed to be bad, just nerfed to not be completely overpowered.

I just wanted to briefly share my experience playing a full melee character; I just beat NG a day or so ago at SL 80 and stats about 20 VIT, 36 END and 36 STR. The only time I used pyromancy was casting Iron Flesh to beat the Four Kings. So while I would say that using magic definitely isn't necessary for a melee character to be able to beat the game, there are a couple boss fights where I could see that having a couple spells would make thing easier. And that's why I'm planning on leveling my pyro glove and attunement a bit for NG+.

Septimius

I just wanted to briefly share my experience playing a full melee character; I just beat NG a day or so ago at SL 80 and stats about 20 VIT, 36 END and 36 STR. The only time I used pyromancy was casting Iron Flesh to beat the Four Kings. So while I would say that using magic definitely isn't necessary for a melee character to be able to beat the game, there are a couple boss fights where I could see that having a couple spells would make thing easier. And that's why I'm planning on leveling my pyro glove and attunement a bit for NG+.

Yeah, it's pretty much this. My first char didn't touch magic, outside of some pyro, and I relied on +5 Lightning Uchi or +5 Quelaag's. That worked great for a NG, but I suspect it'd be harder from there. Now I have a +15 Uchi and a +5 Enchanted Uchi with my 40 DEX 40 INT char, and now we're talking. Four Kings went fine with just Havel's, but I doubt I'd stand a chance in higher NG+

gamelova

I am on NG++ and i am fighting against Ornstein and Smough, and I died a couple of times but when I decided to bring Solaire and a phantom buddy along with me, The HP totals of the bosses more than doubled, how did that happen? Does summoning other phantoms or Solaire add to the HP total of bosses.

tokkun

I am on NG++ and i am fighting against Ornstein and Smough, and I died a couple of times but when I decided to bring Solaire and a phantom buddy along with me, The HP totals of the bosses more than doubled, how did that happen? Does summoning other phantoms or Solaire add to the HP total of bosses.

Yes.

Sullichin

So the closest warpable bonfire to Seath is Anor Londo? :/ I wanna help people co-op that boss but i'd have to go through a big part of The Duke's Archives again.

Man i'm loving 1.05 as a sunbro. I get summoned everywhere.

Minamu

Yep, and the requirement goes down by five each time you help someone defeat a boss. Sunbro phantoms look awesome.
Nice. I'm at 25 now so that works out just fine for ng++ :D

So the closest warpable bonfire to Seath is Anor Londo? :/ I wanna help people co-op that boss but i'd have to go through a big part of The Duke's Archives again.

Man i'm loving 1.05 as a sunbro. I get summoned everywhere.
Yeah but from what I've heard, that bonfire just before Crystal Caves is where it's at :)

PTtidus

Neo Member

Does anyone know if there is a formula for this? Like the summoning level formula?

I hadn't noticed it, until I saw this post and tried it for myself.

So, how do I get out of the Painted World of Araimis? I happened to wander into here from Anor Londo, but the bridge that it warped me too only seems to lead one way... Do I have to travel all the way through here to get out?

Yes. When you get to the boss
she will give you a chance to leave without fighting her, if you're not feeling confident.

Damn, do you have to
go through that spiraling tower with all the flying crow people in it to get to her?
I got there and was killed already.

EasyMode

Damn, do you have to
go through that spiraling tower with all the flying crow people in it to get to her?

You don't have to go up the tower, but you do have to go down. There's a staircase leading down near the poison spewing dragon. When you get down there you'll have a chance to open a convenient shortcut to the bonfire.

Damn, do you have to

There are shortcuts to it.
If you get to the top of the bride past the 1st dragon mini-boss, do a running jumping lunge attack & you can get past some undead dragon legs blocking your path.

Otherwise you'll need a key/lever from an underground section with a ton of spinning wheel skeletons.

vilmer_

So, how do I get out of the Painted World of Araimis? I happened to wander into here from Anor Londo, but the bridge that it warped me too only seems to lead one way... Do I have to travel all the way through here to get out?

Unfortunately yes. I did the same thing, but once I got into the level I absolutely loved it. It really gave me a Demon's Souls vibe.

Quick question: I assume you have to have Xbox Live Gold to be able to experience the online features on the 360, right? I don't currently have a subscription up, so it'd be something else to buy with Dark Souls.

Septimius

Quick question: I assume you have to have Xbox Live Gold to be able to experience the online features on the 360, right? I don't currently have a subscription up, so it'd be something else to buy with Dark Souls.

A PS3? And, I'd guess you are right, even though Dark Souls allegedly rely solely on P2P, meaning it really, really, really shouldn't.

Sullichin

Have the Uchigatana +15 and i'm pretty happy with it. That bleed effect is very useful against Stray Demon. Plan on using it against his fire cousin too. The damage doesn't seem to scale with DEX after 40?

Also, I saw a phantom online with a HUGE katana type weapon. What was this?

Septimius

Have the Uchigatana +15 and i'm pretty happy with it. That bleed effect is very useful against Stray Demon. Plan on using it against his fire cousin too. The damage doesn't seem to scale with DEX after 40?

It does, but not by much. With 40 DEX you have AR of 421 - with 50, 426.

If you do PvP, slap a CMW on that +15, and you're in business :>

Of course, when you have 40 INT, you can also get a backup of +5 Enchanted Uchi. It'll be better in some cases.

Dresden

Also, I saw a phantom online with a HUGE katana type weapon. What was this?

The Washing Pole probably.

Sullichin

It does, but not by much. With 40 DEX you have AR of 421 - with 50, 426.

If you do PvP, slap a CMW on that +15, and you're in business :>

Of course, when you have 40 INT, you can also get a backup of +5 Enchanted Uchi. It'll be better in some cases.

Ok. My AR is 420 with 40DEX, not 421. Not that it makes a difference really. Probably not worth continuing to upgrade my DEX.

The Washing Pole probably.

Ah. Yeah, I think so.

Kweh

Oh my god, I completed Dark Souls, I can't believe it. What an amazing game that was, a couple of points that almost made me quit the game, but I got through it. Definately GOTY for me, nothing else comes close.

On to NG+ :D

tc farks

Congrats!

I'm on my restarted game where I skipped through lower Undead Berg and the Depths. I went through the back way of Blighttown to defeat Queelag and then went up top to grab the eagle shield. What's the easiest thing for me to do here? I can't go out the front I assume, due to the Depths door being locked. Do I just go back down to lower Blighttown and take the wheel?

tokkun

Congrats!

I'm on my restarted game where I skipped through lower Undead Berg and the Depths. I went through the back way of Blighttown to defeat Queelag and then went up top to grab the eagle shield. What's the easiest thing for me to do here? I can't go out the front I assume, due to the Depths door being locked. Do I just go back down to lower Blighttown and take the wheel?

That is the only thing you can do.

scosher

Anyone good at pivot backstabbing in PvP? I understand the gist of it (turn off lock-on, sprint or move toward opponent and then flick stick to spin 180 for a backstab), but either I don't get the backstab off or I end up getting backstabbed myself. Since I just ran past the enemy with him locked onto me, I suppose I didn't spin around quick enough (the timing is awful cause of lag as well, cause there are times where I've spun around, see the animation for my attack, then suddenly I'm the one being backstabbed).

Anyone have a video of someone doing it repeatedly? (can only find one for Demon's Souls, but I assume the input is different). I also see opponents do it without sprinting in, where they just walk up to me, then suddenly be behind me backstabbing.

tc farks

That is the only thing you can do.

Yeah I found this out. Took a while but no matter, done with Blighttown. Man I'd be so far in this game if I hadn't lost that 30 hours. A trip through Sen's Fortress and I'm back to where I was when my save was corrupted. As a sorcerer this time though, I will be heading back to Firelink after freeing Big Hat Logan.

Kazerei

Banned
Quick question guys, how tough is this game really? I'm thinking about buying this for a family member, who is a pretty average gamer. He plays through and beats around 6 to 8 games a year, mostly major releases like Portal 2 and Gears of War 3. He doesn't really challenge himself in videogames (eg: playing on hardest difficulty or going for perfection), although he loved Red Dead Redemption so much he ended up getting a platinum trophy in it. I think he was also into WoW for a few years.

I don't want him to get frustrated by the game, but I'm hoping it'll be a nice challenge for him. Is the strategy guide any good? I could buy that too.

tokkun

Wow, so apparently it is possible to kill someone by backstabbing them while they are in the animation where you walk through the fog door.

Also, is it just me, or is TWOP + WoG just as effective as it was before?

Septimius

Quick question guys, how tough is this game really? I'm thinking about buying this for a family member, who is a pretty average gamer. He plays through and beats around 6 to 8 games a year, mostly major releases like Portal 2 and Gears of War 3. He doesn't really challenge himself in videogames (eg: playing on hardest difficulty or going for perfection), although he loved Red Dead Redemption so much he ended up getting a platinum trophy in it. I think he was also into WoW for a few years.

I don't want him to get frustrated by the game, but I'm hoping it'll be a nice challenge for him. Is the strategy guide any good? I could buy that too.

The strategy guide is outdated by the patch, and the wikis online will always be superior to the guide. (wikidot and wikispaces).

The game is hard, and if you are a lazy person, you won't finish it. It is a nice challenge, and a very fair one. That's why 'how hard it is' is rather moot. It is very fair, and even if it is harder than Super Mario, you will die less than in a Mario game, and this game is very rarely 'stupid' instead of hard. You need skill, and that should always be fun to obtain.

An 'average' gamer has no reason not to play this just because it's hard. You just have to be consistent with it, this isn't Go Vacation.

Anyone good at pivot backstabbing in PvP? I understand the gist of it (turn off lock-on, sprint or move toward opponent and then flick stick to spin 180 for a backstab), but either I don't get the backstab off or I end up getting backstabbed myself. Since I just ran past the enemy with him locked onto me, I suppose I didn't spin around quick enough (the timing is awful cause of lag as well, cause there are times where I've spun around, see the animation for my attack, then suddenly I'm the one being backstabbed).

Anyone have a video of someone doing it repeatedly? (can only find one for Demon's Souls, but I assume the input is different). I also see opponents do it without sprinting in, where they just walk up to me, then suddenly be behind me backstabbing.

My best tip is simply keep on PvPing. Soon you will get how this game acts, and you'll understand why you missed, and how lag behaves. You've got the basic of the technique down, so now it's just about getting some experience, and knowing how not to expose yourself, and what works. They're rather minute differences.

scosher

Actually playing through and beating 6-8 games a year is more than casual imo. Especially if one of those games was Red Dead Redemption. I'd say he'd thoroughly enjoy Dark Souls.

Game isn't hard, it's just punishing when you make mistakes.

Septimius

Wow, so apparently it is possible to kill someone by backstabbing them while they are in the animation where you walk through the fog door.

Also, is it just me, or is TWOP + WoG just as effective as it was before?

Yeah, it's exactly what I feared. You can't outroll two consecutive WoG, so I really, really don't see why they didn't just throw this fucking spell out the window. I guess I'll just strip naked if someone tries to use it, and my Darkwood Grain ring will still be in effect. It's still ridiculous, though.

Sullichin

Ok 4 Kings on NG+ is pretty fucking hard. Beat it on my first try during my first playthrough too.

EDIT: Beat them solo. That was pretty tough.

Kazerei

Banned
The strategy guide is outdated by the patch, and the wikis online will always be superior to the guide. (wikidot and wikispaces).

The game is hard, and if you are a lazy person, you won't finish it. It is a nice challenge, and a very fair one. That's why 'how hard it is' is rather moot. It is very fair, and even if it is harder than Super Mario, you will die less than in a Mario game, and this game is very rarely 'stupid' instead of hard. You need skill, and that should always be fun to obtain.

An 'average' gamer has no reason not to play this just because it's hard. You just have to be consistent with it, this isn't Go Vacation.

Actually playing through and beating 6-8 games a year is more than casual imo. Especially if one of those games was Red Dead Redemption. I'd say he'd thoroughly enjoy Dark Souls.

Game isn't hard, it's just punishing when you make mistakes.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm gonna buy this for him and tell him to do some research first.

On NG+++ now, i've discovered that all bosses in this game are optional except:

*The first boss
*Great Wolf Sif
*The 2 bell bosses
*The 4 lord soul bosses
*Iron Golem?
*Pinwheel?
*Ceaseless Discharge
*Gwyn

?=Can be skipped by glitching, unsure is fixed in patch.

every other boss can be skipped. quite cool really.

I have an urking feeling there may be a way to skip ceaseless discharge if you have an absurd amount of HP and can survive running across the lava towards the bonfire by the Capra Demons, but that's not possible unless you save edit.

edit: Actually, I have a theory that skipping great wolf sif might be possible, but it depends on if you can summon white phantoms, have them jump into the abyss and trigger the boss while you camp on the stairs

Sullichin

On NG+++ now, i've discovered that all bosses in this game are optional except:

*The first boss
*Great Wolf Sif
*The 2 bell bosses
*The 4 lord soul bosses
*Ceaseless Discharge
*Gwyn

every other boss can be skipped. quite cool really.

I have an urking feeling there may be a way to skip ceaseless discharge if you have an absurd amount of HP and can survive running across the lava towards the bonfire by the Capra Demons, but that's not possible unless you save edit.

It's possible to skip O&S?

I have to say, I haven't tried it myself, but a friend of a friend of mine...! (I heard there's a way to get up to the amazing chest from that boss)

Also, can you skip the Taurus?

No, there isn't. Gwyn's tomb is a dead end.

Yes, but it's a pain in the ass if you don't and you might as well unless you are deliberately going for a "kill the literal minimun bosses to beat the game" run.

Ill Saint

Well, I just found a strange bug... Joined Sunbro Covenant, and somehow my character is stuck perpetually kneeling. Can't use items, can't access inventory, can't move at all. I'm afraid to hit the reset button. :(

Just beat Nito a little earlier today. Is it just me, or does he REALLY like to spam his AoE whenever you go behind him? A lot of the time I wouldn't even realize he was winding up for it because I couldn't really see him hunch over all that well and I ended up eating a facefull of soot. That attack HURTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom