• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are some items "rare?"

Yes, although in most cases these are on respawning enemies, and in the case of those that aren't, the items generally aren't very good. For example, one of the first bosses can drop a weapon and/or a piece of armor randomly, but neither are particularly good.

I still don't have that fucking trident

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yes, although in most cases these are on respawning enemies, and in the case of those that aren't, the items generally aren't very good. For example, one of the first bosses can drop a weapon and/or a piece of armor randomly, but neither are particularly good.

I still don't have that fucking trident

So even yard trash can drop good loot?

No, there isn't. Gwyn's tomb is a dead end.

Yes, but it's a pain in the ass if you don't and you might as well unless you are deliberately going for a "kill the literal minimun bosses to beat the game" run.

Gwyn's tomb contains three treasure chests at the end, one of them contains the Lordvessel, so yes, O&S can be skipped by killing Gwyndolin, otherwise you'll find that chest to be empty when you do kill him.

Septimius

Well, I just found a strange bug... Joined Sunbro Covenant, and somehow my character is stuck perpetually kneeling. Can't use items, can't access inventory, can't move at all. I'm afraid to hit the reset button. :(

No harm will come from resetting.

So even yard trash can drop good loot?

Well, this isn't a standard RPG with thousands of different types of enemies and hordes of different types of loot. There's a good variety of both, but generally, you know which enemy to kill to get what. Take Tatinite chuck, anyone knows exactly what two, three enemies might drop that.

On NG+++ now, i've discovered that all bosses in this game are optional except:

*The first boss
*Great Wolf Sif
*The 2 bell bosses
*The 4 lord soul bosses
*Ceaseless Discharge
*Gwyn

every other boss can be skipped. quite cool really.

I have an urking feeling there may be a way to skip ceaseless discharge if you have an absurd amount of HP and can survive running across the lava towards the bonfire by the Capra Demons, but that's not possible unless you save edit.

edit: Actually, I have a theory that skipping great wolf sif might be possible, but it depends on if you can summon white phantoms, have them jump into the abyss and trigger the boss while you camp on the stairs

How can you reach Anor Lando without beating Iron Golem ? and can you run past Pinwheel to the ladder ?

How can you reach Anor Lando without beating Iron Golem ? and can you run past Pinwheel to the ladder ?

There's a glitch to skip pinwheel, yes. But normally, it's impossible to run past him on the ladder.

Also, I forgot about Iron Golem, fiddlesticks. thanks for that lol

Actually, I think there's a bug where you can trigger the cutscene before you beat him. Dunno if they fixed it in the patch, though.

I'll check up on this.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm finally going to be able to start a new character after Namco was rude enough to release the patch while I had no time to play the game, and I'm pondering my weapon choices. The plan is a no-shield, Faith-oriented character with enough Int to equip some sorcery to use with the Tin Darkmoon Catalyst along with the obligatory Miracles. I want to avoid touching the Strength stat, giving me 12 to work with using Cleric as a starting class. I need 14 Dex for the Parrying Dagger, which puts the Bandit's Knife, Rapier, and Shotel all in the running for my main-hand weapon, but I'm debating whether or not pumping Dex to 20 and opening up Ricard's Rapier and Priscilla's Dagger is worthwhile. I've played around with Priscilla's Dagger and it's pretty fun, but maybe not 6 stat points worth of fun. Never even touched Ricard's Rapier, but I've seen a guy using it in co-op and it seemed pretty neat. Not sure it's 6 stat points neat, though.

Bugs and glitches should not be counted, only bosses in which you can legitimately go past by using shortcuts like Centipede Demon or the Butterfly.

Septimius

I'm finally going to be able to start a new character after Namco was rude enough to release the patch while I had no time to play the game, and I'm pondering my weapon choices. The plan is a no-shield, Faith-oriented character with enough Int to equip some sorcery to use with the Tin Darkmoon Catalyst along with the obligatory Miracles. I want to avoid touching the Strength stat, giving me 12 to work with using Cleric as a starting class. I need 14 Dex for the Parrying Dagger, which puts the Bandit's Knife, Rapier, and Shotel all in the running for my main-hand weapon, but I'm debating whether or not pumping Dex to 20 and opening up Ricard's Rapier and Priscilla's Dagger is worthwhile. I've played around with Priscilla's Dagger and it's pretty fun, but maybe not 6 stat points worth of fun. Never even touched Ricard's Rapier, but I've seen a guy using it in co-op and it seemed pretty neat. Not sure it's 6 stat points neat, though.

PvP build? Because PvE, that's a build that's just hard to play with. Shield is important for PvE. But it's an interesting PvP build. I dislike FAI since it robs me of the melee world if I want to use it, since the best talisman kicks in at 50+ FAI. With INT I can crack it up to 40 before there's no further use, so I can also have 40 DEX.

Why Parrying Dagger if you don't have the AR to do any damage? 40 DEX + bandits + Darkmoon blade and parrying dagger with Hornet's ring seem like a one-shot build, but 20 DEX? Why not just grab the biggest shield in the game and wield a talisman in your right hand if you're going so pure magic?

ixix

PvP build? Because PvE, that's a build that's just hard to play with. Shield is important for PvE. But it's an interesting PvP build. I dislike FAI since it robs me of the melee world if I want to use it, since the best talisman kicks in at 50+ FAI. With INT I can crack it up to 40 before there's no further use, so I can also have 40 DEX.

Why Parrying Dagger if you don't have the AR to do any damage? 40 DEX + bandits + Darkmoon blade and parrying dagger with Hornet's ring seem like a one-shot build, but 20 DEX? Why not just grab the biggest shield in the game and wield a talisman in your right hand if you're going so pure magic?

It's pretty much a challenge build, honestly, but the idea is to join the Warriors of Sunlight and do a lot of co-op because I love fighting bosses, so some PvP competence is pretty much mandatory for handling invasions even if it's not really the primary focus of the character. I'd also like to keep my level suppressed a bit to keep my co-op opportunities as broad as possible, hence the focus on just hitting the bare minimum stats to wield a weapon then making it Fire, Lightning, Divine, or Occult. I want to pump Faith just because I've never run a Faith build.

My basic plan, stat-wise, starting from a Cleric:

Vitality 11 -> Whatever (everything goes here after hitting the other stats)
Attunement 11 -> 19 (5 spell slots)
Endurance 9 -> 24 (should get my equip burden under 25% with no rings)
Strength 12 -> 12 (don't see any real need to pump this)
Dexterity 8 -> 14 (the big question mark, 14 is the minimum for Parrying Dagger)
Resistance 11 -> 11 (ha ha ha resistance)
Intelligence 8 -> 18 (for Homing Soulmass, also gives access to Dusk's utility spells)
Faith 14 -> 50 (because yay Faith, I've never really used it)

That puts me at Soul Level 77 without counting any Vitality increases. Pretty much any other stats are going to come out of my Vitality allotment, so I'm mostly debating whether Ricard's Rapier and Priscilla's Dagger are worth more to me than 6 points of Vitality.

Little bit ago, helped a guy out against the Gaping Dragon on a ++...run.

It took half a fucking hour. Hit it for like 500 damage each time, which equated to like 3 pixels off his bar. I was all o_O

What's the point of the warp bonfire in the abyss? Can you get back into new londo from it? o_O

Even worse is the one in front of
Nito' sarcophagus, because it doesn't appear until you kill him, and there's no other way to get out of that room. Absolutely worthless.

The Abyss warp SUPER SPOILER
allows you to return to Darkstalker Kaathe, the leader of the Darkwraiths, should you kill the Four Kings before obtaining the Lordvessel.

tokkun

Chaos Rapier +5 with Hornet's Ring will one-shot most non-tank players on riposte. Only 12 DEX needed.

ijed

In 4 King hell on NG+ ... and now after I enter the fog door to them I can't even cast iron flesh anymore ... what's with that?

Cannot be used while Transient Curse effect is active.

oh derp

Sullichin

If you join the Darkwraith covenant you need to go back there to level up your allegiance.

ah. makes sense. missed out on the darkwaiths again this playthrough.

I only have nito and gwyn left in NG+. last section of the catacombs + Tomb of Giants suck. I didn't enjoy New Londo much (again) either, but at least post-patch you get souls for killing the ghosts.

Also have one more pyromancy to get, in the painted world...

ixix

Chaos Rapier +5 with Hornet's Ring will one-shot most non-tank players on riposte. Only 12 DEX needed.

Is Chaos better than Fire in 1.05? I was leaning towards an upgraded Rapier anyhow since it would fit with the off-brand Oswald look I was aiming for.

Hmm. 1.05 crashed on me when I was fighting Queelag. Picture froze, but I could heat the audio continue. Hopefully quitting didn't mess up my game...

Edit: Good, it started me right back before the fight, and I beat her!

Septimius

Is Chaos better than Fire in 1.05? I was leaning towards an upgraded Rapier anyhow since it would fit with the off-brand Oswald look I was aiming for.

+5 is unchanged. Chaos is still marginally better at 10 humanity, so I see little reason in making it over fire

tokkun

+5 is unchanged. Chaos is still marginally better at 10 humanity, so I see little reason in making it over fire

Chaos +5 does about 3-5% more damage when backstabbing the black knights in the Kiln compared to Fire +10. That may translate to 50-75 more damage on riposte. A subtle advantage, but significant for that type of play style.

For someone who is doing PvE, it's probably not worth the hassle of maintaining 10 humanity, but once your character goes dedicated PvP, maintaining humanity is not a big deal.

Septimius

Chaos +5 does about 3-5% more damage when backstabbing the black knights in the Kiln compared to Fire +10. That may translate to 50-75 more damage on riposte. A subtle advantage, but significant for that type of play style.

For someone who is doing PvE, it's probably not worth the hassle of maintaining 10 humanity, but once your character goes dedicated PvP, maintaining humanity is not a big deal.

Yeah, at closer inspection, I see that Chaos does a 55/45 split of its damage, whereas fire does 50/50. That'll translate to more than the 4 AR difference in damage, so good catch!

ixix

I can scarcely remember the last time either of my characters had less than 10 Humanity for more than a couple of minutes, so it looks like Chaos is where the party is.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've been using my Demon Spear +5 ever since I completed Anor Londo, and I really like it. Or to be more precise, I really like strong spears, preferably with an elemental effect. So is there a better choice out there?

Something that probably scales better or has better stats when upgraded?

CatPee

Damn, my Smough/Gravelord Sword +5/Tranquil Walk/Flame Surge tank build is just absolutely wrecking people tonight. Got 880k killing some dude in the forest, and another 300k or so on subsequent murders.

feelsgoodman.jpg
3AQmK.gif

I've been using my Demon Spear +5 ever since I completed Anor Londo, and I really like it. Or to be more precise, I really like strong spears, preferably with an elemental effect. So is there a better choice out there?

Something that probably scales better or has better stats when upgraded?

Demon's Spear has STR and DEX C scaling, it is a very nice ranged weapon, but depends on your stats. Not sure if you want damage more that range, but a Lightning Pike +5 has greater damage output, but with no stat scaling and range is not as far..
The delay Strong attack for the Demon Spear for me is turn off, which most of the time you will only be using the normal attack.
Dragonslayer Spear is weaker than Demon Spear but has decent range, but has a projectile as strong attack (one or two handed I forget).

If you want strong spear Lightning pike is awesome for the damage

Septimius

I have such a fucked up day-rhythm that I've decided to pull a 30 hour stunt to start getting it back to normal. I'm nearly falling asleep, but then I realized that I never get tired from the excitement of PvP, so Dark Souls, here I come! You're a big reason I have this silly day-rhythm, time you fix it!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Demon's Spear has STR and DEX C scaling, it is a very nice ranged weapon, but depends on your stats. Not sure if you want damage more that range, but a Lightning Pike +5 has greater damage output, but with no stat scaling and range is not as far..
The delay Strong attack for the Demon Spear for me is turn off, which most of the time you will only be using the normal attack.
Dragonslayer Spear is weaker than Demon Spear but has decent range, but has a projectile as strong attack (one or two handed I forget).

If you want strong spear Lightning pike is awesome for the damage
Thanks!

Wool

Started my third character today, the first time I'll be playing 1.05. The forest convenant PVP is wayyyy more serious than it was back in October. People hang out and wait for invaders! I really like that area just because of the 2-on-2 fights that happen pretty often. At such a low level, the best thing I can do is run at the host and spam force (you get 21 casts). More often than not, the other dude I'm with will catch on and backstab them while they're stunned.

Oh and fuck all of the +5 lightning weapon people with ridiculously high vitality. Is there some armor that is specifically anti-lightning?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Up to this point, I was sure that I didn't break any Covenants by killing any of its members, yet when I visited the Absolution guy, I found that I have to be a heft fee to be absolved. Are there any other ways to sin other breaking covenants, and probably invading, but I thought I haven't done either.

I also would love to be linked to a page explaining all the possible ways to break the various Covenants.

Where should I go after beating Queelag and Ceaseless Discharge? Continue through the Ruins? Or head somewhere else? I'd like to upgrade my +10 halberd to lightning, if possible.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
God fucking dammit. I forgot to join the Gravelord covenant before killing Nito. Please tell me the items/equipment are worthless, please.

So, have people figured out if the patch helped some of the framerate, or are people seeing things? I'm really curious about this, but I get mixed reports.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wow, the community section really sucks. I wish I played through this to completion when the thread was still in gaming.

God fucking dammit. I forgot to join the Gravelord covenant before killing Nito. Please tell me the items/equipment are worthless, please.

The Gravelord sword gets pretty powerful after upgrading, and it has Toxic, which is a pretty brutal status effect at low levels and is still a decent distraction at high level play. It can also stagger like a boss. The Gravelord Sword Dance miracles are basically just a reskinned Firestorm and are pretty useless for anything but fooling around; the windup takes FOREVER and pretty much any enemy strong enough to justify its use will just beat the shit out of you before you can even fire it off, and it's even worse in PvP.

The Gravelord sword gets pretty powerful after upgrading, and it has Toxic, which is a pretty brutal status effect at low levels and is still a decent distraction at high level play. It can also stagger like a boss. The Gravelord Sword Dance miracles are basically just a reskinned Firestorm and are pretty useless for anything but fooling around; the windup takes FOREVER and pretty much any enemy strong enough to justify its use will just beat the shit out of you before you can even fire it off, and it's even worse in PvP.

This is the most accurate description. While the Gravelord sword is pretty powerful at low levels and I really like the move set, the covenant isn't all that great. The miracles gained through the covenant suck and the PVP items are the worst in the game.

This is the most accurate description. While the Gravelord sword is pretty powerful at low levels and I really like the move set, the covenant isn't all that great. The miracles gained through the covenant suck and the PVP items are the worst in the game.

It should at least let you enter the world you cursed as a non-interactable phantom so you can see what your efforts are causing, and finding the Eye of Death just makes you interactable. Placing an Eye and going about your own business with no feedback sucks.

Dragon Covenant's still the worst.

Shito

Man, the Dragonslayer Greatbow might be the greatest, most satisfying weapon to ever exist.

Watching someone fly off after getting hit once is amazing, I went back to the spot where the 2 archers in Anor Lando and killed them just because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom