• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just reached the second bonfire and I feel like I've probably missed a few paths. Will have to backtrack once I slay whoever awaits me at the end and explore it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
<3 the new drop rates. Farmed a couple Gargoyle's Helmets, a Halbred, and Shield in only 5 or so "reloads" (used Homeward Bones). Got a Sack from the first butcher on my first try, got Kirk's Sword from the Depths on my first try. I was worried I'd have to use my cloud saves to re-spawn them and try again. I now have every drop weapon/item except for the Symbol of Avarice, which you don't even need to kill Mimics to get.

Sullichin

So.. I saw a couple of white rings of light in Catacombs. Never saw those before. Something to do with the gravelord covenant?

Also, in New Londo that one crab enemy that randomly shows up if a player drops an item in your world - he popped up for me as I was on my way to 4 Kings, right after I killed an invader. 140 or so hours in, first time I saw that enemy, took me by surprise.

I stupidly missed the large divine ember in the tomb of giants, so there goes getting the divine weapon trophy this playthrough. Don't really want to go back there.

I only have Gwyn left on this playthrough, and according to the trophy guide I only have one more pyromancy in the painted world, so I might go there and get it. I'm SL140 now and starting to become reluctant about leveling up because I want to continue co-opping, but I've been able to even at this level.

lunlunqq

So, I was in the Duke's Archive. All of sudden I saw this message saying something like "disasters are gone when defeating gravelord servants..." Was I invaded by a gravelord servant covenant member? Nothing seemed to happen. I just proceeded to the rest of the level as usual.

Where should I go after beating Queelag and Ceaseless Discharge? Continue through the Ruins? Or head somewhere else? I'd like to upgrade my +10 halberd to lightning, if possible.

The Demon Ruins always felt to me like the intended last level.
Underground, lava, bosses are now regular enemies & the boss is relevant to how the story being setup.

Sullichin

So, I was in the Duke's Archive. All of sudden I saw this message saying something like "disasters are gone when defeating gravelord servants..." Was I invaded by a gravelord servant covenant member? Nothing seemed to happen. I just proceeded to the rest of the level as usual.

The same thing happened to me. I don't know if some of the NPCs I killed were gravelord phantoms or not but they seemed like the same old enemies to me.

Eccocid

So.. I saw a couple of white rings of light in Catacombs. Never saw those before. Something to do with the gravelord covenant?

I saw them too. I asked in here someone said they are miracle resonance thing. Like if you cast a certain spell near those grins it is gonna get buff or something.

Sullichin

I saw them too. I asked in here someone said they are miracle resonance thing. Like if you cast a certain spell near those grins it is gonna get buff or something.

Ah.. this game.
Anyone ever figure out what the empty treasure chest in the room after
beating Gwyndolin
does? Or the pendant? I wonder what secrets are still out there.

I wonder if FROM will do online events with this game. Like when the street date was broken, didn't they send invading red phantoms to mess people up? I hope they support the game in cool original ways for a while to come.

On NG+, I warmed up to New Londo and Tomb of Giants. I still don't really enjoy playing them because they are frustrating, but I definitely appreciate the level design more now. Also enjoyed Duke's Archives more this time around. Also, Demon Ruins is a great area with an awesome design. It's a mini-boss gauntlet. I love it. Lost Izalith isn't bad if you have the Chaos Covenant shortcut. Bed of Chaos is still a pain though.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I think that's a miracle resonance spot. Whenever I got near them all my miracle icons (except for Great Lightning Spear) would have a white ring within the icon as well. I had used them all up though so I couldn't test it.

Defuser

I finally got the damn Platinum after much raging at the last part of the game,it's a bitch going through 3 NG to secure all weapons and slabs but I did it...... Now I can finally put this game away.

I beat the game last night, but I'm thinking I might have missed something.

I lit the bonfire, a brief cutscene played, and then I got credits. Is that it? I wasn't expecting much, but it didn't seem right.

Wool

Man, the Dragonslayer Greatbow might be the greatest, most satisfying weapon to ever exist.

Watching someone fly off after getting hit once is amazing, I went back to the spot where the 2 archers in Anor Lando and killed them just because...

After watching this video I started using the Dragonslayer bow quite a bit, it is awesome.

The whole idea of meeting at the Kiln, bowing, and fighting face to face does not really seem to fit this game. They didn't put a spell that turns you into a statue/tree/vase in the game to hide from AI enemies.

tc farks

Where is Big Hat Logan? I freed him from Sen's, came back to Firelink and nothing. So I quit and loaded again, still not there. This isn't a thing is it? Cause that would suck.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ah.. this game.
Anyone ever figure out what the empty treasure chest in the room after
beating Gwyndolin
does? Or the pendant? I wonder what secrets are still out there.

I think it came up a page or two ago;
the empty chest after Gwyndolin will have the Lordvessel in it, allowing you to bypass S&O and meeting Gwynevere.

TheFatOne

Man I can't beat the Anor Londa boss. I can't keep the fast guy separated from the large guy long enough to kill him. It's really frustrating.

Edit: I think I'm under powered right now. My spear doesn't do enough damage, and my pyromancy spells take too long.

Man I can't beat the Anor Londa boss. I can't keep the fast guy separated from the large guy long enough to kill him. It's really frustrating.

Edit: I think I'm under powered right now. My spear doesn't do enough damage, and my pyromancy spells take too long.

For me, staying close to the pillars helped. They tend to hang up both bosses, or at least re-route their attacks a bit.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The Gravelord sword gets pretty powerful after upgrading, and it has Toxic, which is a pretty brutal status effect at low levels and is still a decent distraction at high level play. It can also stagger like a boss. The Gravelord Sword Dance miracles are basically just a reskinned Firestorm and are pretty useless for anything but fooling around; the windup takes FOREVER and pretty much any enemy strong enough to justify its use will just beat the shit out of you before you can even fire it off, and it's even worse in PvP.
Thanks boss.

Well, that was pretty damn awesome. Just finished the Painted World of Ariamis. Did pretty much half of it by myself, then found some humanity and turned human. Ended up summoning some really skilled archer guy to help me out with Priscilla. It was pretty funny with both of us just shooting at random areas trying to find her. Never got the tail, even though I must have hit it at least 6 times.

Also, I guess I should ask about my stats too. I'm currently level 48, and was wondering, as a Pyromancer, how I should continue leveling my stats. Right now I've got 30 Vitality, 23 Attunement, 12 Endurance, 16 Strength, 20 Dexterity, and the rest is default. I think I read in here that you should try and get 40 VIT and 99 DEX, but how much should I put into END?

tc farks

Where is Big Hat Logan? I freed him from Sen's, came back to Firelink and nothing. So I quit and loaded again, still not there. This isn't a thing is it? Cause that would suck.

I'm gonna add to this, he shows up in Duke's Archives no matter what correct? It's not necessary to talk to him in Firelink?

If so, it's just an inconvenience, because all I wanted from him was the crystal spells anyway.

Started playing today, it's clearly very awesome. And hard. And awesome!

Just defeated Taurus Demon. Took me ages and died lots but felt like a fucking boss when he went down. So good.

sixghost

Gwyn's tomb contains three treasure chests at the end, one of them contains the Lordvessel, so yes, O&S can be skipped by killing Gwyndolin, otherwise you'll find that chest to be empty when you do kill him.

Dude what.

That's amazing. It makes complete sense when you consider the story of the game as well.

I'm not sure it's any easier to do it that way though, since you would have a pretty long trek into the Catacombs to get the Dark Seance Ring. I guess you could shorten it a bit if you used a homeward bone.

Audioboxer

3rd character, and loving it. First time playing a strength build. Much more challenging than magic/pyro/DEX imo.

Wielding the Great Axe +10, and Elite Knights Armor. Although I switched the helmet to the sack so that I could equip the Tower Shield and still do ninja rolls (have ninja ring).

IMG_20111126_192212.jpg

Plus the sack makes me look like an executioner :p

Not sure what weapon to aim for next, Black Knight Great Axe?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm finally at Kiln of the Last Flame. But I'm thinking about backtracking and killing any NPC that drops anything significant. Any tips?

Edit: Ooh I have gotten the ninja flip ring. Where was it again?

shiroryu

Got the Hydra down, feels good. Kept trying to do it with a run past the golems, but they followed me into the water and hit me into the chasm.

From screwed up with the fight from the magic POV; there's no apparent way to hit it with spells, so I had to chop off two-three heads and arrow it to death - 250 arrows later, dead hydra. Wasn't very enthused about chasing down the heads remaining with melee.

That said, this is like mage heaven. Freed Dusk, who is my favorite NPC so far, and got the Dusk Crown, the Oolacile Catalyst, and Antiquated Skirt. Went back to the Parish now and at 20 INT I'm one-shotting Undead Soldiers with Soul Arrow even if they block. Patch was responsible for some of the nerfing, but with the trouble they gave me early on, damn.

The Antiquated Skirt may have been nerfed into the ground, but it has great Curse resist numbers. Any idea how effective it is in practice against Basilisks?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm finally at Kiln of the Last Flame. But I'm thinking about backtracking and killing any NPC that drops anything significant. Any tips?

Edit: Ooh I have gotten the ninja flip ring. Where was it again?

The dark wood grain ring is acquired thusly:
Join Alvina's forest hunter covenant.
Merchant Shiva of the East appears near her building thing.
He has a ninja bodyguard nearby who is fog-ring invisible. He's near the cliff.
Kill that bodyguard and he'll drop the ring. This betrays the forest covenant.

Some things to consider: You can buy stuff from Shiva if you go to Blighttown; he's near the waterwheel (and bodyguard is on the other side of the wall he's leaning against). See if there's anything you want before you kill his friend. If you don't have the ring of fog and you want it, you need to kill 3 forest invaders before betraying the covenant. Or you can trade a lantern for it with snuggly, which would be way easier.

I'm almost at the end of the game too. Is there a basic checklist of stuff to do to prepare for NG+?

Is it just kill all NPCs and kindle all bonfires as much as possible?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The dark wood grain ring is acquired thusly:
Join Alvina's forest hunter covenant.
Merchant Shiva of the East appears near her building thing.
He has a ninja bodyguard nearby who is fog-ring invisible. He's near the cliff.
Kill that bodyguard and he'll drop the ring. This betrays the forest covenant.

Some things to consider: You can buy stuff from Shiva if you go to Blighttown; he's near the waterwheel (and bodyguard is on the other side of the wall he's leaning against). See if there's anything you want before you kill his friend. If you don't have the ring of fog and you want it, you need to kill 3 forest invaders before betraying the covenant. Or you can trade a lantern for it with snuggly, which would be way easier.

I'm almost at the end of the game too. Is there a basic checklist of stuff to do to prepare for NG+?

Aha, I don't have the Fog Ring, but I'm gonna trading the Skull with Snuggly for sure, as I haven't been successfully summoned by Alvina in some time, then I'll get the Dark Wood Grain Ring.

Cheers mate.

You should also take advantage of the guaranteed titanite chunk drops from the knights in the kiln. It's a good idea to stock up on them before you do the final boss. Other than that, just grab any slabs that you might have missed.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I finally got the damn Platinum after much raging at the last part of the game,it's a bitch going through 3 NG to secure all weapons and slabs but I did it...... Now I can finally put this game away.

For those only trophy hunting, the best thing to do with slabs is make the weapon you want to get the trophy with, but don't touch the game after that. The trophy will pop without autosaving while you're in the upgrade menu, then simply quit the game, reload, and you'll be back with all of your stuff and your slab back to repeat the process. This way you only need 1 of each slab for the weapon trophies and you can finish them on your first run. Be careful with ascending stuff though, that will take you one layer back on the menu and autosave.

So for example, with a +6 divine weapon ready to take to 10, take it to 10 without leaving the menus and once you make it just let it sit there, then quit after the trophy. Voila, your slab and +6 is still there.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Some things to consider: You can buy stuff from Shiva if you go to Blighttown; he's near the waterwheel (and bodyguard is on the other side of the wall he's leaning against).
Do I also need to be a member of the Covenant for him to appear in Blighttown? Also, which spot is recommended, ie: safest. I don't want him dropping from the cliff in the forest if that's a possibility.

Do I also need to be a member of the Covenant for him to appear in Blighttown? Also, which spot is recommended, ie: safest. I don't want him dropping from the cliff in the forest if that's a possibility.

Yeah you do. I killed him in blighttown. Just make sure you're well prepared for the fight, if you get killed trying to take him down you'll have to absolve your sins and join the covenant again to make him reappear.

As the post above says - Purge stone. It can be bought from the pardoner, but it also drops from the clam enemies.

I don't know who the pardoner is and I don't particularly want to go all the way back to the beginning of the game and farm souls for an hour to buy a purge stone. Is that really my only option?

2AdEPT

I ALWAYS get lost in the Catacombs. I HATE having to go back to Vamos because it always takes me like ten minutes to find the fucker.

Run over first bridge...run through first cave...either roll by or kill 2 skellies on second bridge...run by all enemies inside(may have to kill one skelly quickly on stairs) then just walk off the ledges in the spiral stairsas if you were still walking on spiral stairs (don't jump or roll. Youwill fall down3 times pressing R1 to attack as you fall as some skellies following will live (most die though). Vamos opens hole. Takes 90 seconds.

If you already have hole open so that you can enter via bonewheel pit, then you can drop off the first bridge to the left, rotate character, roll right on to diving board escarpment, fall off that rock side right, (if not killed pinwheel and while human hire leroy to kill all bonewheels), thhen see vamos...takes 20 second toget to bonewheels, dpending on your skill with bonewheels another minute.

I don't know who the pardoner is and I don't particularly want to go all the way back to the beginning of the game and farm souls for an hour to buy a purge stone. Is that really my only option?

no, you can also get rid of curse by finding the NPC in new londo ruins and having him remove it for you.

This option is indisputably worse than just getting a purge stone from the pardoner though, since you will have to fight your way past an army of ghosts that float through walls from all directions at will, and drop almost no souls or items to make the trip worth it.

The pardoner is the NPC that's in the bell tower right after the two gargoyles.

If for some reason the pardoner is dead, or just too far, you can buy a purge stone from the undead female merchant that's located in the shortcut between undead burgh and the lower undead burgh. she charges more than pardoner though.

If for whatever reason you're piss broke, killed all of these npcs, or just REALLY LIKE long walks, the clams at ash lake will drop purge stones for free- and fairly frequently. But if you can't teleport between bonfires it will take you a year and a day to get down there and back.

Yeah you do. I killed him in blighttown. Just make sure you're well prepared for the fight, if you get killed trying to take him down you'll have to absolve your sins and join the covenant again to make him reappear.
Not true, at least for me.
I died fighting both of them in Blighttown. I went back to farm souls in the forest. Shiva and the ninja was there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom