• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true, at least for me.
I died fighting both of them in Blighttown. I went back to farm souls in the forest. Shiva and the ninja was there as well.

That's the place I fought them. broke the covenant due to a glitch in the game, continued to farm souls in the forest because why the hell not, and Shiva and that ninja came after me. Killed them both, took their gear.

There are enemies that drop them and you can buy them. How many more options do you want? :D

I can't buy them because they're obscenely expensive and I'd have to undo all the progress I made just to backtrack to the beginning of the game. I tried fighting the crabs before I left Ash Lake, but they and the hydra kill me in one hit, so I'm not interested in farming them for what's probably a rare drop. Yeah, it'd be nice if this game actually gave you options.

Tomb of the Giants is impossible to traverse.

Do I need to go somewhere else for a light spell or something? Can't do it like this.

You can get Cast Light from Oocile in Drakroot Basin. The skeleton mages in the catacombs drop skull lanterns in 1.05 so if you don't have the INT you may want to make a run through with the gold serpent ring on.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Besides Anastacia of Astora and Lady of the Darkling, can anyone else help infuse the Firekeeper souls I have or do I have to wait for NG+?

elohel

can't remember if I asked this or not but anyone know the best place to get a broken straight sword? Or have one? lol add me n hop on if you're willing

psn id elohel

Septimius

can't remember if I asked this or not but anyone know the best place to get a broken straight sword? Or have one? lol add me n hop on if you're willing

psn id elohel

Undead drop it all the time. Not the soldier, the plain ones with just a sword and a waist-cloth

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
LA PUTA QUE ME PARIO I just lost 4.7 million souls in The Great Hollow :(

NG+ question, are certain Miracles and Pyromancies (and I assume spells) only purchaseable once per character? I'm not getting Vow of Silence nor Firestorm or Fire Tempest to show up from the respective vendors.

edit:
Besides Anastacia of Astora and Lady of the Darkling, can anyone else help infuse the Firekeeper souls I have or do I have to wait for NG+?
The Daughter of Chaos can too.

Aselith

I can't buy them because they're obscenely expensive and I'd have to undo all the progress I made just to backtrack to the beginning of the game. I tried fighting the crabs before I left Ash Lake, but they and the hydra kill me in one hit, so I'm not interested in farming them for what's probably a rare drop. Yeah, it'd be nice if this game actually gave you options.
There is a gentleman in New Londo that will heal a curse for one humanity.

Run over first bridge...run through first cave...either roll by or kill 2 skellies on second bridge...run by all enemies inside(may have to kill one skelly quickly on stairs) then just walk off the ledges in the spiral stairsas if you were still walking on spiral stairs (don't jump or roll. Youwill fall down3 times pressing R1 to attack as you fall as some skellies following will live (most die though). Vamos opens hole. Takes 90 seconds.

If you already have hole open so that you can enter via bonewheel pit, then you can drop off the first bridge to the left, rotate character, roll right on to diving board escarpment, fall off that rock side right, (if not killed pinwheel and while human hire leroy to kill all bonewheels), thhen see vamos...takes 20 second toget to bonewheels, dpending on your skill with bonewheels another minute.

I know how to get there, but I have some sort of mental block where I can never actually get there without a ton of difficulty.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

The Purging Stones aren't rare drops from the clams, they drop them incredibly frequently. Killing the three or so on the beach of Ash Lake would most likely get you at least one. All of their attacks other than the grab are blockable, and the grab is heavily telegraphed.

Ash Lake's effectively a dead end anyhow, so heading back the way you came one way or another is in your immediate future regardless.

There is a gentleman in New Londo that will heal a curse for one humanity.

Is that the place beneath Firelink Shrine with the ghosts who would kill me in one hit with my gimped health? Even if I could survive down there, going all the way back to the beginning of the game isn't an option because I'm not backtracking through the entire game only to have to make the trip through Blighttown twice.

The Purging Stones aren't rare drops from the clams, they drop them incredibly frequently. Killing the three or so on the beach of Ash Lake would most likely get you at least one. All of their attacks other than the grab are blockable, and the grab is heavily telegraphed.

Ash Lake's effectively a dead end anyhow, so heading back the way you came one way or another is in your immediate future regardless.

I already left Ash Lake, but I couldn't kill the clams when I was because the hydra killed me if I stopped to fight with them.

Someone mentioned a bell tower and gargoyles or something, but only heard about a place like that in the game and never actually found it.

Aselith

Is that the place beneath Firelink Shrine with the ghosts who would kill me in one hit with my gimped health? Even if I could survive down there, going all the way back to the beginning of the game isn't an option because I'm not backtracking through the entire game only to have to make the trip through Blighttown twice.
Then I guess you're fucked. Better break the disk and move on.

I already left Ash Lake, but I couldn't kill the clams when I was because the hydra killed me if I stopped to fight with them.

Someone mentioned a bell tower and gargoyles or something, but only heard about a place like that in the game and never actually found it.

Sounds like you need to backtrack to the start of the game anyway if you haven't done that yet. And honestly backtracking is a part of this game, it's unrealistic to expect to only go through areas once. Theres a lot of shortcuts that make it quick and easy to do as well. I can't really think of any areas that take very long for me to get through now I know my way around.

one85x

If you've been through Blighttown, then you should have a couple Proud Knight souls, which give 2000 souls when consumed. There's also a shortcut out of Blighttown that takes you back to Firelink, so the backtracking isn't as bad as you might think it is.

Audioboxer

Pumped my endurance up and I'm now rocking the Black Iron set with ninja flip. Feels good :D

Especially as twinking can be bought in Anor Londo for upgrading.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Goddammit. I had no idea that NPC invaders stop appearing after the area boss is defeated. I just realized that I didn't kill Jeremiah in Aramis. Last time I was there he killed me, and for some reason I forgot to try again. Stupid.

Then I guess you're fucked. Better break the disk and move on.

I'm just saying, I don't get how From went from Demon's Souls, which was hard but never unavoidably fucked you over, to this. Outside of the capra demon and getting cursed in Blighttown, I don't think the game is that bad.

Anyway, I don't think backtracking is an option if I have to fight three boulder giants at once with no health, so I'm just going to climb back down to Ash Lake and farm enemies there until I get 99 purge stones or so.

Giard

Goddammit. I had no idea that NPC invaders stop appearing after the area boss is defeated. I just realized that I didn't kill Jeremiah in Aramis. Last time I was there he killed me, and for some reason I forgot to try again. Stupid.
You missed the most awesome helmet in the game. :p

Finally beat the game, SL 80. The ending was kinda meh.
Gonna wait for my friend to finish it so we can try playing co-op in NG+.

Aselith

I'm just saying, I don't get how From went from Demon's Souls, which was hard but never unavoidably fucked you over, to this. Outside of the capra demon and getting cursed in Blighttown, I don't think the game is that bad.

Anyway, I don't think backtracking is an option if I have to fight three boulder giants at once with no health, so I'm just going to climb back down to Ash Lake and farm enemies there until I get 99 purge stones or so.
It's not that hard to get out. The only reason you're fucked is because you refuse to take any one of the many options presented to you. Suck it up.

It's not that hard to get out. The only reason you're fucked is because you refuse to take any one of the many options presented to you. Suck it up.

Agreed. Talk about making stuff more difficult than it needs to be. I can't think of another option harder than going through the Great Hollow to Ash Lake and farming clams with a hydra shooting at you. And then having to climb back out afterwards and having to backtrack the way you refused to at first anyway. Good luck with that though!

Septimius

Why?

Also, if you're at the second bell, you don't have to fight any of the guys outside of Quelaag's Domain. And you are refusing to either buy a purge stone or go to New Londo (I'd do the first), but you'd rather go to an incredibly inaccessible place to farm something you don't really need?

I've never gotten cursed, not even close. Sure, np, you got cursed once, you most likely won't get cursed again.

I really don't see how From did anything wrong here. 'Unavoidable' just isn't true.

Aselith

Wanted to add there is a way to cheese the club trolls if you wish. Go get their attention and then go climb on a ladder down. They'll run off the edge and die. Use it if you want to make it easier.

ixix

You don't need to fight the boulder throwers. If you want to get rid of your curse you should open up the Blighttown shortcut if you haven't already. From the bonfire in the Blighttown swamp bear right and hug the wall until you reach a large waterwheel structure. Ride the wheel up then keep climbing ladders until you reach the top. Grab the key in the chest on the landing at the top of the final ladder then go through the tunnel to emerge in the Valley of Drakes. Go across the narrow plank bridge to the tower on the other side near where you emerged from Blighttown to reach New Londo. Take the elevator from New Londo to Firelink Shrine.

Once you're there you can buy a Purging Stone from the merchant in the waterway for 6000 souls if you haven't fought the gargoyles and unlocked Oswald yet. You should have access to her if you've reached Blighttown, unless you used the Master Key to skip to Blighttown without first going through the Depths.

Once you're uncursed you can be back in the Blighttown swamp by way of New Londo and Valley of Drakes in about ten minutes.

You could also go from the Valley of Drakes to Darkroot Garden to Undead Parish, then summon Solaire and Lautrec to fight the Gargoyles for you. If it's your first time through the game they should be able to beat them with no assistance from you unless you have the ill fortune of having them get stuck in a fire breath loop. Once the Gargoyles are beaten you can ring the bell and then talk to Oswald, who sells Purging Stones for the bargain price of 3000 souls.

Just witnessed someone beating the game with an arcade stick, glorious.. and to make matters worse the d-pad and the stick are tied to the same button, so every move on the stick is a move on the d-pad.

Why?

Also, if you're at the second bell, you don't have to fight any of the guys outside of Quelaag's Domain. And you are refusing to either buy a purge stone or go to New Londo (I'd do the first), but you'd rather go to an incredibly inaccessible place to farm something you don't really need?

I've never gotten cursed, not even close. Sure, np, you got cursed once, you most likely won't get cursed again.

I really don't see how From did anything wrong here. 'Unavoidable' just isn't true.
It's kind of a pain to go down to Ash Lake and back, but it's preferable than going all the way back through Blighttown to buy purge stones and then go all the way back to get to where I was. Everything in the game is going to kill me in one hit at this point anyway, so I may as well take the shortest route instead of going to a place like New Londo (unless the path from Blighttown to New Londo just puts you right next to the Firelink Shrine elevator).

I never got cursed while I was fighting the frog creatures in the Depths or even on the platforms in the Great Hollow. The only reason I got cursed is because I was climbing a ladder and everything suddenly got filled with poison gas. There was no way to pick off the enemies before I went down and there was no way to get out of the gas (which I think was fired from multiple enemies at once, the curse bar normally fills up so slowly that that has to be what happened).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Am I the only one who thinks that it's extremely depressing that the Firelink Shrine was getting more and more populated at the beginning, just like the Nexus, only to become deserted by the end of the game. (Especially if you used the Firekeeper Soul of Anastacia, instead of reviving her, like I did)

Some of the former residents even turned into Hollows and had to be dispatched.

Also, I guess I should ask about my stats too. I'm currently level 48, and was wondering, as a Pyromancer, how I should continue leveling my stats. Right now I've got 30 Vitality, 23 Attunement, 12 Endurance, 16 Strength, 20 Dexterity, and the rest is default. I think I read in here that you should try and get 40 VIT and 99 DEX, but how much should I put into END?

Anyone with a Pyromancer build know about this?

It's kind of a pain to go down to Ash Lake and back, but it's preferable than going all the way back through Blighttown to buy purge stones and then go all the way back to get to where I was. Everything in the game is going to kill me in one hit at this point anyway, so I may as well take the shortest route instead of going to a place like New Londo (unless the path from Blighttown to New Londo just puts you right next to the Firelink Shrine elevator).

I never got cursed while I was fighting the frog creatures in the Depths or even on the platforms in the Great Hollow. The only reason I got cursed is because I was climbing a ladder and everything suddenly got filled with poison gas. There was no way to pick off the enemies before I went down and there was no way to get out of the gas (which I think was fired from multiple enemies at once, the curse bar normally fills up so slowly that that has to be what happened).

Seriously, climbing back up from Ash Lake is a hundred times harder than taking the shortcut from Blighttown to Firelink and buying a purging stone. Read ixixs post, he was kind enough to explain exactly where to go. It doesn't involve going back through blighttown the way you came in. Don't bother with New Londo, just buy a stone from the merchant. 6000 souls for a stone might seem a lot to you now but believe me, it's nothing.

jk-mox

Neo Member
I have a tragic/infuriating tale and am hoping someone can answer a question for me.

Finished my first playthrough the other day as a Knight, and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I wanted to try something different. As such, I restarted as a pyromancer so I could get a taste for some of the magic in the game. I'm a few bosses in and all of my stats have been set up with pyromancy in mind.

So just moments ago, I killed the Capra Demon, then ran to the depths so I can free the guy who can teach me pyromancy. I'd estimate I've put about 3-4 hours into this particular game.

As I'm saving him, I get invaded and pinned in the corner next to him. Literally, I can't move because I have the invader in front of me, and the pyromancer guy next to me, and I can't seem to roll through. So of course, my instincts kick in, and I start swinging my axe.

Now I have an angry pyromancy master who wants to kill me.

I'm seeing mixed reviews as to whether absolution (from the guy in the belltower) will fix this issue. The various wikis seem to indicate that absolution is for covenants, and doesn't say anything about non-covenant NPCs.

Can anyone say with 100% certainty whether absolution will get the pyromancer guy to chill the fuck out, think about the situation that I was in, and give me a second chance? Or am I just screwed?

scosher

I'm seeing mixed reviews as to whether absolution (from the guy in the belltower) will fix this issue. The various wikis seem to indicate that absolution is for covenants, and doesn't say anything about non-covenant NPCs.

Can anyone say with 100% certainty whether absolution will get the pyromancer guy to chill the fuck out, think about the situation that I was in, and give me a second chance? Or am I just screwed?

Absolution fixes all hostile NPC's, including merchants. Except dead NPC's.

I'm not sure though if it'll fix the pyromancy guy since his "quest" chain is now broken, cause he's supposed to return to Firelink after saving him in the Depths. Once you use absolution, you might want to check both Firelink and the Depths to see if he's trapped in his barrel again.

ixix

You emerge into New Londo right next to the Firelink Elevator. After reaching the Valley of Drakes there isn't a single enemy between you and Firelink. It's much easier than going through the Great Hollow, and it opens up the shortcut permanently for later use.

Pyromancy is almost totally stat-independent. Pyromancy power is linked to the upgrade level of your flame, with your stats having no impact on the damage. Dexterity increases casting speed a bit and Attunement obviously lets you equip more spells, but other than that Pyromancy slots comfortably into any build no matter the stat assignment. It's flexible like that.

jk-mox

Neo Member
I'm not sure though if it'll fix the pyromancy guy since his "quest" chain is now broken, cause he's supposed to return to Firelink after saving him in the Depths. Once you use absolution, you might want to check both Firelink and the Depths to see if he's trapped in his barrel again.

I don't care if I have to save him again. I just don't want to spend a bunch of souls on absolution, only to go down in the depths and find that he still wants to bbq me :(

elty

Audίoboxer;32977811 said:
3rd character, and loving it. First time playing a strength build. Much more challenging than magic/pyro/DEX imo.

Wielding the Great Axe +10, and Elite Knights Armor. Although I switched the helmet to the sack so that I could equip the Tower Shield and still do ninja rolls (have ninja ring).

IMG_20111126_192212.jpg

Plus the sack makes me look like an executioner :p

Not sure what weapon to aim for next, Black Knight Great Axe?

I felt strength build is easier for me. 2 hit from black knight halberd and most stuff are dead. Only problem is DEX seems to have way more weapon choice.

Septimius

No need to get more attunement. More importantly, never a reason for a pure pyromancer to go over 45 DEX, since cast speed increase stops there. Also probably no reason to go above 40 due to diminishing returns, but that's regarding weapons, and you should get a DEX dependent weapon, and you're good to go.

35-40 VIT, 40 END, 40 DEX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom