• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I see that my PS3 downloaded patch 1.05; I've seen the notes, but I'm wondering what the GAF community consensus on the patch is. Someone care to fill me in? :)

Septimius

So I see that my PS3 downloaded patch 1.05; I've seen the notes, but I'm wondering what the GAF community consensus on the patch is. Someone care to fill me in? :)

Outside of Wrath of God, this patch fixes everything that was a problem, except the frame rate. The new translations are unfortunate, as we finally had accepted that it was called "YOU DEFEATED", and now we miss it.

Seriously, climbing back up from Ash Lake is a hundred times harder than taking the shortcut from Blighttown to Firelink and buying a purging stone. Read ixixs post, he was kind enough to explain exactly where to go. It doesn't involve going back through blighttown the way you came in. Don't bother with New Londo, just buy a stone from the merchant. 6000 souls for a stone might seem a lot to you now but believe me, it's nothing.
What is the deal with new londo anyway? That place have me zero problems. Pop a transient curse, wreck ghosts, backstab darkwraiths, profit?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What is the deal with new londo anyway? That place have me zero problems. Pop a transient curse, wreck ghosts, backstab darkwraiths, profit?

You can go there pretty early on, and it's easy to see how it could be hard for a weaker character. By the time I went there to kill the four kings, I was level 70, 1-shotting ghosts and 2-shotting darkwraiths and it was pretty easy overall.

I don't remember what it was, but I remember reading something in the game that sort of implied to me that they expected you to go explore New Londo Ruins well before you have the Lordvessel. Maybe I'm crazy, though.

Maybe it's just because I'm near the endgame, but I feel like I'm flush with souls all the time. I've gone from level 68 to 72 or so in the last couple of hours of playtime without any grinding at all (and that includes a couple losses of tens of thousands of souls at once). I think that's what I'm noticing most since the patch. Also humanity is easy to get now with a little time, although my time with the baby skeletons was pretty unpleasant and not as productive as I was expecting.

Getting through New Londo when you're at a low level and cursed is a real pain in the ass. Ghosts can one shot you and you have to survive multiple gangbangs through walls from them. He won't have the water lowered either.

Getting through New Londo when you're at a low level and cursed is a real pain in the ass. Ghosts can one shot you and you have to survive multiple gangbangs through walls from them. He won't have the water lowered either.
Yeah I guess if I had gone at a low level it would have been frustrating. I just avoided it for so long that when I finally went it was underwhelming.

It's easily the most frustrating thing I've done in the game. I got cursed really early on and stupidly thought the guy in new londo was the only way to cure it. Took me hours of repeatedly dying to a single hit, usually through a wall, and then running all the way back from firelink to get to him. And back then ghosts didn't give you souls either. Argh!

Thanks ixix, I already climbed the tower but I didn't notice the ladder that led to the very top. Getting cursed was still really shitty, but at least there was a relatively quick way to get rid of it (although I never would have thought to go back to the tower, I thought I cleared it out).

Quelaag wasn't too bad, but the Bell Gargoyles were somehow way harder than the Maneaters even though they were made of paper.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm about to fight Gwyn. I've sided with Kaathe, under the impression that it'll unlock the real ending, but I'm wondering if there's a choice to be made after the Gwyn fight, and if there is the outcomes of each choice.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm about to fight Gwyn. I've sided with Kaathe, under the impression that it'll unlock the real ending, but I'm wondering if there's a choice to be made after the Gwyn fight, and if there is the outcomes of each choice.

Kaathe has nothing to do with it. Whether you
light the bonfire or leave the room without lighting it
determines what ending you get. Both are Demon's style - meaning they don't give much explanation or closure - only a different trophy.

RyanDG

Ultimately, in the end there are only two choices... Who you side with before that doesn't really matter (but gives you additional story elements).

The two choices are:

Lighting the final bonfire or walking away.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What the hell. Why is there no pre-fight chat?
KuGsj.gif

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the Dragonslayer Greatbow might be the greatest, most satisfying weapon to ever exist.

Watching someone fly off after getting hit once is amazing, I went back to the spot where the 2 archers in Anor Lando and killed them just because...
Sounds goooood. I just picked this up and fancy pumping STR enough to make it my main bow. Been almost exclusively DEX and END until now.
I just killed Pinwheel with three hits of my +5 Lightning Spear

o_O

I knew it was powerful but Jesus. I had a harder time killing the skeletons on the way to him.
Dayum. Guess I'll try Catacombs next!

Been really getting into co-op in Anor Londo lately. Ridiculous how addictive it can be, especially when you meet really friendly peeps and keep cock-blocking invaders.

One Japanese fella wearing the Onion gear was having trouble with O&S, and each time he summoned me and this other guy, he would do the 'pleading on one's knees' gesture and drop us each 1 humanity - so adorable! He sent a message at one point after getting butt-stomped saying "Sorry! One more time, from the sumo please!" It was a great laugh, and I'm racking up the souls to boot.

There was one instance with a different guy in Dark Anor Londo who was seemingly "hunting" invaders... he would kill them mercilessly and then pop down one of those little light balls like a grave and bow to it. Very interesting ritual!

However, at one point he started losing health and flipping around as if fighting something - he eventually died, but I couldn't see or interact with who/whatever he was fighting. Does anyone have any ideas as to what was happening? (I was a regular white phantom).

Just like Demons Souls. No talky all fighty.

Gwyn's one of those bosses where no pre-talk fight actually makes sense and the game is better for it.

Now, S & O, they should have had some dialogue, as it doesn't really make sense for them to try to kill the shit out of you when their boss wants you to get passed them.

Ill Saint

However, at one point he started losing health and flipping around as if fighting something - he eventually died, but I couldn't see or interact with who/whatever he was fighting. Does anyone have any ideas as to what was happening? (I was a regular white phantom).

This happened to me once when I was summoned to fight Gaping Dragon. My host seemed to be fighting thin air. It was very strange.

I asked this on the previous page, but it was the last post, so I'll ask again. Anyone got any suggestions for PvP at SL 150? I'm not yet at the Kiln. Just looking for a way to get some consistent practice in.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Just like Demons Souls. No talky all fighty.
But the Maiden in Black gave some narrative to the fight, no?

Ending side, amazing game. I didn't hate Izalith and Tomb of Giants as much as everyone else. Though that's mostly because I knew how to avoid the worst parts.

But the Maiden in Black gave some narrative to the fight, no?

Ending side, amazing game. I didn't hate Izalith and Tomb of Giants as much as everyone else. Though that's mostly because I knew how to avoid the worst parts.

I think Gwyn's Theme is narration enough, really.

CatPee

This happened to me once when I was summoned to fight Gaping Dragon. My host seemed to be fighting thin air. It was very strange.

I asked this on the previous page, but it was the last post, so I'll ask again. Anyone got any suggestions for PvP at SL 150? I'm not yet at the Kiln. Just looking for a way to get some consistent practice in.

Guaranteed PvP all the time = Forest Hunters covenant, or hang around the area behind the door in Human form. I'm SL93 and it's not all that lopsided even without the level restrictions. Gear and skill go a much longer way.

Now, S & O, they should have had some dialogue, as it doesn't really make sense for them to try to kill the shit out of you when their boss wants you to get passed them.

Actually, i'm pretty sure Gwyndolin just wanted proof that you were capable of defeating Gwyn before he entrusted you with the Lordvessel and told S&O to attack you. I don't know though. I do know they were expecting your arrival.

By the way, while i'm talking about it, I should own up to something; I said before that killing Gwyndolin would give you the lordvessel, apparantly this isn't true. That chest is empty even if you kill Gwyndolin first, which means he probably gave the lordvessel to Gwynvere before the MC even arrives. Damn. lasttimeitrustmyfriendsaboutdarksoulsinfo

tokkun

Outside of Wrath of God, this patch fixes everything that was a problem, except the frame rate. The new translations are unfortunate, as we finally had accepted that it was called "YOU DEFEATED", and now we miss it.

They did not fix the input delay problem. I don't know if it is less frequent, but I do know it still happens.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
PvP in this game feels pretty awkward, and somewhat broken due to connection/netcode issues.

Wool

I think I just wasted 12 hours because of what just happened. I've been working on this grant build for about a week, I'm level 59 and have a little over 12 hours on the character. After beating Anor Londo, placing the lordvessel, going through the catacombs and running to the 2nd bonfire in the Tomb of Giants, I finally get to the showdown with Paladin Leeroy. He runs at me and starts to swing, so I roll around him. Due to his attack following my roll, he misses and falls right off the cliff. His bloodstain is hanging in midair off the side of the cliff, with all the gear I need. I have no way to get at it, so I jump off the cliff to see if I can click "X" really fast as I pass by the stain or something, but no dice. I respawn and run back to the area and everythings gone...

Why couldn't they make it like Demon's Souls where if you die before collecting shit it will just leave the stuff where the guy was?

I was going to see if any of you would be willing to part with their weapon (I could give you some titanite or something), otherwise I think I might just snap the disc in half and mail the pieces in Namco.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I think I just wasted 12 hours because of what just happened. I've been working on this grant build for about a week, I'm level 59 and have a little over 12 hours on the character. After beating Anor Londo, placing the lordvessel, going through the catacombs and running to the 2nd bonfire in the Tomb of Giants, I finally get to the showdown with Paladin Leeroy. He runs at me and starts to swing, so I roll around him. Due to his attack following my roll, he misses and falls right off the cliff. His bloodstain is hanging in midair off the side of the cliff, with all the gear I need. I have no way to get at it, so I jump off the cliff to see if I can click "X" really fast as I pass by the stain or something, but no dice. I respawn and run back to the area and everythings gone...

Why couldn't they make it like Demon's Souls where if you die before collecting shit it will just leave the stuff where the guy was?

I was going to see if any of you would be willing to part with their weapon (I could give you some titanite or something), otherwise I think I might just snap the disc in half and mail the pieces in Namco.

Hm..the game does save loot. I killed the ghost archer in the forest (Faris?) my first time through there like 10 hours into the game and never looted the bow or hat. 80 hours later I read about that enemy, went back to the forest to the spawn, and there was the glow with the loot waiting for me all that time. Perhaps because it's an NPC invader though it doesn't have a set spawn spot? I also vaguely remember still being given the loot even when the enemy fell off a cliff if it dropped something.

.GqueB.

Banned
I ALWAYS get lost in the Catacombs. I HATE having to go back to Vamos because it always takes me like ten minutes to find the fucker.

His placement never made sense to me. You have to fight your way down to him and if you screw up the drops in the shortcut youre dead. Then when youre down there, you either have to fight your way back through the level, fight your way through TOTG a little bit or use a homeward bone to get out.

Such a cumbersome npc to get too.

Does anyone know where to find the formulas of how stat scaling works and how much damage an A STR rating adds as opposed to a D ?

I'm trying to decide between the Great Lord Sword and Black Knight Sword, unless someone has a better suggestion for a Straight/Great sword to get ?

Numpt3

Guys I didn't mess anything up by going into the painted world before exploring the rest of Anor Londo did I?
I didn't expect the painting to do that. :p

I'm so glad for this patch. I can consistently play co-op with my friends now. its made dark souls 1000% more fun

The past three days me and my niece and nephew have done nothing but 3-way coop, level after level. It is, it's great.

350+ hours, I've still never even met the dude.

Guys I didn't mess anything up by going into the painted world before exploring the rest of Anor Londo did I?
I didn't expect the painting to do that. :p

No, it's its own level. You're good.

Frank

His placement never made sense to me. You have to fight your way down to him and if you screw up the drops in the shortcut youre dead. Then when youre down there, you either have to fight your way back through the level, fight your way through TOTG a little bit or use a homeward bone to get out.

These last couple of days I did some runs to Vamos to build the Fire & Chaos weapons and what seemed to me like a chore ended up being a breeze -- just run like hell, the path is quite straightforward and there are no tricks to watch out for.

Drop to Vamos, do your thing, then pop up a Homeward Bone and that's it. I've also found that lately I've been using Homeward Bones quite a lot -- once you get the Lordvessel there's a lot of running around from one end of the world to another, and a combination of speedrun paths, Lordvessel and HBs makes for a speedy traversal.

ijed

I think I just wasted 12 hours because of what just happened. I've been working on this grant build for about a week, I'm level 59 and have a little over 12 hours on the character. After beating Anor Londo, placing the lordvessel, going through the catacombs and running to the 2nd bonfire in the Tomb of Giants, I finally get to the showdown with Paladin Leeroy. He runs at me and starts to swing, so I roll around him. Due to his attack following my roll, he misses and falls right off

Why didn't u lure him into the tunnel away from the edge if it was so important :(

Just got my 2nd one but i'm sl 108, could prob pick u up as a red stone but I don't know if u can trade with invaders....

Also did a tonne of blue stoning in the depths today and finished off my miracles - had some great fights and a few gravelord invasions popping up
red phantom rats!
Also wondering if the gravelord and darkmoon covenants are linked - I think I blue'd into a gravelord's world and saw a few gravelord signs and notice I get a lot more disasters when I'm in darkmoon ...

Actually, i'm pretty sure Gwyndolin just wanted proof that you were capable of defeating Gwyn before he entrusted you with the Lordvessel and told S&O to attack you. I don't know though. I do know they were expecting your arrival.

Even though this is probably From's internal explanation, this still makes no sense to me. At this point, you've already killed several powerful demons (Capra, Taurus, Quelaag, the Gaping Dragon), made it through Sen's and the Iron Golem, which is something Black Iron Tarkus and Big Hat Logan, explicitly stated to be one of the most powerful human sorcerers and creator of a spell that could rival Gwyn's power (!!!!!!) failed to do, probably killed the Hallowed Havel the Rock (although, to be fair, Gwyndolin has no way of knowing about that), possibly killed the Great Grey Wolf Sif, and made it though Anor Londo itself, including the remnants of the Silver Knights and Gough's archers and Gwynevere's personal bodyguard sentinels. There's no real reason why Gywndolin should order the Captain of the Four Knights and one of the only surviving, non-insane members of Gwyn's court into a fight to the death with the "Chosen Undead" to "prove" himself; he's already well and done that.

(Smough, though, I could understand. He's just a dreadful person.)

Hey guys, anyone have an extra washing pole? I really need one for this build Im trying to make, but I forgot to buy one before I killed that dude who sells it. I'm at the Kiln. I can trade something for it.

Futureman

Trying to trade with the black crow.

Reading online, it says to drop the item in the nest and then quit and reload.

I got cursed in the Depths, so I dropped a Cracked Red Eye Orb, quit, reloaded, and I don't have the Purging Stone... what am I doing wrong?

EasyMode

Hey guys, anyone have an extra washing pole? I really need one for this build Im trying to make, but I forgot to buy one before I killed that dude who sells it. I'm at the Kiln. I can trade something for it.

I don't have an extra one, but I'm wondering... If you confess your sins and rejoin the forest hunters, maybe shiva will sell to you again. Since the confession cost has gone down to level x 500, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with the souls. Just a few co-op sessions should do it.

Trying to trade with the black crow.

Reading online, it says to drop the item in the nest and then quit and reload.

I got cursed in the Depths, so I dropped a Cracked Red Eye Orb, quit, reloaded, and I don't have the Purging Stone... what am I doing wrong?

It will be in the nest waiting to be picked up. Do you see anything there?

Blutonium

Just wanted to state my hate for the backstab critical hit in online PVP. It's fucking stupid. 99% of the battles are just strafing until someone presses R1 at the right moment, whoop-tee-doo.

I wish that critical hit was disabled in PVP, should make for a lot more interesting battles.

Futureman

It will be in the nest waiting to be picked up. Do you see anything there?

Just did it twice and no go.

I drop the item right in the center of the nest. While still in the nest, I go to quit. I immediately reload my game. It loads up back in the nest, not at a bonfire, and there's nothing in the nest, just the two eggs.

I only have two more Cracked Red Orbs and I need that Purging Stone!

edit: ok, I watched a YT vid and I guess I was using the wrong nest. You have to curl up first, be flown away and then use the nest at North Undead Asylum.

Just wanted to state my hate for the backstab critical hit in online PVP. It's fucking stupid. 99% of the battles are just strafing until someone presses R1 at the right moment, whoop-tee-doo.

I wish that critical hit was disabled in PVP, should make for a lot more interesting battles.

It wouldn't be bad if someone actually earned that critical hit by out maneuvering you, but right now by how garbage this game netcode is, trying to play pure melee is retarded unfortunately.

Your best bet is to just pick your best AOE spell and herp derp spam it in the other guys face until you win, that's how the game is online, unless you enjoy people teleporting right in front of you and stabbing you in the back while you sit there wandering what just happened.

Oh well, maybe in Souls 3 they will fix that, and maybe this time they'll give us a PC version so we could play at a decent framerate. I shouldn't sound that negative on what is essentially the best game I've played this year in a series that has become one of my absolute favorites ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom