• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septimius

It wouldn't be bad if someone actually earned that critical hit by out maneuvering you, but right now by how garbage this game netcode is, trying to play pure melee is retarded unfortunately.

Your best bet is to just pick your best AOE spell and herp derp spam it in the other guys face until you win, that's how the game is online, unless you enjoy people teleporting right in front of you and stabbing you in the back while you sit there wandering what just happened.

Oh well, maybe in Souls 3 they will fix that, and maybe this time they'll give us a PC version so we could play at a decent framerate. I shouldn't sound that negative on what is essentially the best game I've played this year in a series that has become one of my absolute favorites ever.

The strangest thing about this argument is that people seem to think it only affects the other guy. In order for a backstab to land, they have to be in the right place, at the right time FOR THEM. They can't magically backstab you, so it's still down to how you play. Sure, it might feel strange to change your tactic to work ahead of time, but it's not unfair. People with experience can backstab, people without can't see it coming.

If they are to fix this problem in the next game, they must simply take out backstabs.

Anyone have tips for beating those bastard archers in Anor Londo? I keep falling to my death no matter what I do. I've tried to hit them with Poison Arrows, which kept hitting invisible barriers, and I also tried running up to the right one, but the left one hits me for the right one to finish me off.

Blutonium

It wouldn't be bad if someone actually earned that critical hit by out maneuvering you, but right now by how garbage this game netcode is, trying to play pure melee is retarded unfortunately.

Your best bet is to just pick your best AOE spell and herp derp spam it in the other guys face until you win, that's how the game is online, unless you enjoy people teleporting right in front of you and stabbing you in the back while you sit there wandering what just happened.

Oh well, maybe in Souls 3 they will fix that, and maybe this time they'll give us a PC version so we could play at a decent framerate. I shouldn't sound that negative on what is essentially the best game I've played this year in a series that has become one of my absolute favorites ever.

Might just try that, but that requires some serious grinding for me. I started as wanderer, and basically only leveled my endurance, vitality and strength. I can't do magic but I have a greatsword +15 and the stone golem shield.

I totally agree with you last paragraph :) I just finished the game this afternoon, immediately continued with new game+. This game IS filled with delicious crack.

EasyMode

Anyone have tips for beating those bastard archers in Anor Londo? I keep falling to my death no matter what I do. I've tried to hit them with Poison Arrows, which kept hitting invisible barriers, and I also tried running up to the right one, but the left one hits me for the right one to finish me off.

There's a bunch of videos on youtube with strategies for getting past them. Here's one that seems pretty easy, although I haven't tried it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZl_C44qx1A

The game only has three REAL pvp spots
*Darkroot Garden
*Anor Londo
*Kiln of the First Flame

thats where pvp is concentrated and where you have the most chance of having your red soapstone accepted

Thanks a lot !

And where is the best place to put a summon sign a SL 68 ? wanna coop some bosses :)

.GqueB.

Banned

Join the forrest cov, get three wins and get the ring of fog. Makes that area much easier. Many people tend to forget that item is actually helpful outside of PvP. They wont detect you as fast enabling you to get the jump on them.

Or go up the ramp and go right first. Run toward that archer and TIME your rolls so you dont get hit. Dont just roll randomly. Once you get close he'll take out his sword. From the on its all about luck really. Ive had some easy runs and some terrible ones. Often times, there is no rhyme or reason to that part of the game. It either goes your way or it doesnt. After you kill him, go left. He'll be much easier to kill.

Septimius

There's a bunch of videos on youtube with strategies for getting past them. Here's one that seems pretty easy, although I haven't tried it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZl_C44qx1A

Yes, it seems very easy, and it is very easy to get past these guys. The encounter isn't hard. It's just that if it doesn't go exactly like it should, you will die.

This is the only strategy I use, and it works well, except that the right one is very conditional. I've just started killing him when I get to him, since he's sometimes just continued shooting arrows, even though I was rubbing his chest hair with my nose.

Other times you get shot in the back by the left archer, and most of the time something completely unpredictable happens, and you fall off. Again, it's not hard, it's just far away, and risky.

.GqueB.

Banned
These last couple of days I did some runs to Vamos to build the Fire & Chaos weapons and what seemed to me like a chore ended up being a breeze -- just run like hell, the path is quite straightforward and there are no tricks to watch out for.

Drop to Vamos, do your thing, then pop up a Homeward Bone and that's it. I've also found that lately I've been using Homeward Bones quite a lot -- once you get the Lordvessel there's a lot of running around from one end of the world to another, and a combination of speedrun paths, Lordvessel and HBs makes for a speedy traversal.

Im not saying hes hard to get to just cumbersome compared to the rest. His placement seems random to me. But yea after a few runs he does become a breeze. Still annoying though.

TheFatOne

So I can't beat the boss in Anor Londa. I am going to explore, and level up my character. Where are some good spots to farm for souls? And what are some places that I can explore?

Edit: I also want to upgrade my lightning spear. Where can I farm titanite chunks? And I need a new shield. What would be a good shield at this part of the game?

tokkun

If your arrows are hitting "invisible barriers" it means that you are too far away or using a bow without enough range. With a Short Bow you will be able to hit the archer on the left from the bridge with the guard rails, but not the archer on the right.

If you plan on rushing them, the most important tip is that the direction you get pushed by an arrow when blocking it is not based on the direction the arrow comes from (as physics would dictate), but in the direction your shield is pointing. You always get pushed away from the direction of your shield. Since it's a narrow ledge, the natural reaction is to try to press up against the wall, but if you do this, the arrow will push you away from the wall and off the ledge.

Instead, when the archer you're approaching is about to fire you should turn your body so the shield is pointing slightly away from the wall. When you block the arrow it will push you back, but you will stay on the ledge.

.GqueB.

Banned
So I can't beat the boss in Anor Londa. I am going to explore, and level up my character. Where are some good spots to farm for souls? And what are some places that I can explore?

I did some of my best farming in the forrest doing PvP. At the level Im assuming youre at, people are generally there to fight and some are carrying a hefty amount of souls. This is not always a guarantee though so dont blame me when after a few hours you end up with nothing. But I can say that Ive netted at least 300k souls per run by doing this.

You can even leave the covenant ring and your console on to farm in this area. I did this on thanksgiving day when I went down to eat. Came back two hours later and I had 350k souls. This happens because even when someone else comes into the game and invades along with you, if they kill the invader you still get souls. Its cheap but effective.

But simply fighting is also very fun and helpful. Better prepares you for handling invaders.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
With the delay/netcode issues with this game, how many of you actively PvP and enjoy it?

.GqueB.

Banned
With the delay/netcode issues with this game, how many of you actively PvP and enjoy it?

I do. Im simply more careful when I play online. I generally dont let people get near me without it being intentional. There are still some weird, cheap, horrendous moments, ofcourse. But not nearly as much compared to when I first got started.

I get more upset with people that just throw on the heaviest armor and grab the heaviest axe and just swing away. That annoys me more than warp backstabs.

Tomb of the Giants is the second worst location after Blighttown so far.

I'm going to go human to see if I can just find someone powerful to run through it with. Those big skeletons are kicking my ass. Even with the light spell it's still really annoying to try and navigate.

I feel like the Souls games are worst when they try and do these dark, underground locations.

EasyMode

I also want to upgrade my lightning spear. Where can I farm titanite chunks? And I need a new shield. What would be a good shield at this part of the game?

There's seven guaranteed titanite chunks up to Anor Londo that I know of:

- trade rubbish from Undead Burg with Snuggly
- black knight in Undead Burg
- black knight in Undead Parish
- drop onto branch above first group of frogs in the Great Hollow
- drop onto mushroom near the bottom of the Great Hollow
- kill the bomb throwing giant on top of Sen's Fortress
- near the blacksmith in Anor Londo, protected by gargoyles

There's one crystal lizard in a barrel just before the Taurus Demon that might drop a chunk, another one on the way down to Darkroot Basin, and a bunch of lizards in the Great Hollow. Wear the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring to increase the chance of a drop.

You can get the titanite slab by beating Stray Demon after returning to Northern Undead Asylum.

The eagle shield in Blighttown is very useful against Ornstein and Smough.

TheFatOne

I did some of my best farming in the forrest doing PvP. At the level Im assuming youre at, people are generally there to fight and some are carrying a hefty amount of souls. This is not always a guarantee though so dont blame me when after a few hours you end up with nothing. But I can say that Ive netted at least 300k souls per run by doing this.

You can even leave the covenant ring and your console on to farm in this area. I did this on thanksgiving day when I went down to eat. Came back two hours later and I had 350k souls. This happens because even when someone else comes into the game and invades along with you, if they kill the invader you still get souls. Its cheap but effective.

But simply fighting is also very fun and helpful. Better prepares you for handling invaders.

I can't do this because I'm not playing online :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I'm going to go human to see if I can just find someone powerful to run through it with. Those big skeletons are kicking my ass. Even with the light spell it's still really annoying to try and navigate.

I feel like the Souls games are worst when they try and do these dark, underground locations.

Do you have Quelaag's Furysword? Or Great Fireball and Great Combustion (with heavily upgraded Pyro Flame)? Those all go a long way.

What's your shield situation? By the time I was doing Tomb of the Giants I could block any of the giant skeleton's attacks without running out of stamina. That room with six of them is still very dangerous though. Without the aforementioned pyromancies it would have been impossible for me.

Do you have Quelaag's Furysword? Or Great Fireball and Great Combustion? Those all go a long way.

What's your shield situation? By the time I was doing Tomb of the Giants I could block any of their attacks without running out of stamina. That room with six of them is still very dangerous though. Without the aforementioned pyromancies it would have been impossible for me.
I'm using a +5 Lightning Spear which does good damage. I'm also rocking a Divine Club in case I come across any skeletons that reanimate.

My shield is a Divine Knight Shield +5. Not the best, probably, but it's done me well so far. One hit takes about half my stamina with it.

I have Fireball and Combustion, apparently. I might try one of them. I haven't used pyromancy at all in the game, believe it or not.

.GqueB.

Banned
I can't do this because I'm not playing online :(

Oh... hmmmmm. There are two things you can do.

If youre a pyro you can go to that first bonfire in Andor Londo and farm that knight in the adjacent room. Equip the ring that gives you more souls when you kill enemies (even if you dont have it youre fine) and just toss a chaos fire ball at him. Usually kills in one hit. You can be back on your way to the bonfire before he even fully dies.

Or just buy the 20k door and farm in the forrest. Theyre both very tedious but thats all I can think of for offline play.

Why arent you online?

TheFatOne

Oh... hmmmmm. There are two things you can do.

If youre a pyro you can go to that first bonfire in Andor Londo and farm that knight in the adjacent room. Equip the ring that gives you more souls when you kill enemies (even if you dont have it youre fine) and just toss a chaos fire ball at him. Usually kills in one hit. You can be back on your way to the bonfire before he even fully dies.

Or just buy the 20k door and farm in the forrest. Theyre both very tedious but thats all I can think of for offline play.

Why arent you online?

Don't have gold membership :( 20k door is so damn tedious. I think I'm just going to see if I can delete the patch data, and do the soul glitch.

Sometimes I feel like the game connects me to 1% of the Dark Souls playerbase. I tried to summon someone just now and it failed, and that was after 20 mins of waiting for a summon sign to appear.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm using a +5 Lightning Spear which does good damage. I'm also rocking a Divine Club in case I come across any skeletons that reanimate.

My shield is a Divine Knight Shield +5. Not the best, probably, but it's done me well so far. One hit takes about half my stamina with it.

I have Fireball and Combustion, apparently. I might try one of them. I haven't used pyromancy at all in the game, believe it or not.

I never upgraded my Lightning Spear so I don't know what kind of damage you're doing, but skeletons are actually most resistant to lightning and weak to fire. So pyromancy would be pretty useful at this point.

I'd also recommend using a shield with much higher stability, as no one is attacking you with magic in the Tombs (until the last room before the boss).

Don't have gold membership :( 20k door is so damn tedious. I think I'm just going to see if I can delete the patch data, and do the soul glitch.

I've heard that once you've patched, your save game will only work with v.1.05. I guess that means you can just re-patch and your save will load again, but do your research before trying anything!

CatPee

Go to Darkroot Basin and rescue Dusk, then buy Cast Light from her. Tomb of the Giants is a breeze with it.

Yeah, I have the spell :) The lightning spear actually does good damage against the skeletons where I've buffed it up to!

Anyway, I managed to summon a guy with an amazing fire sword (probably the one you mentioned) and we ran through. Nito was a really tough fight even with him there, but we just about managed to do it on the first go.

Glad to be out of there.

I also managed to get a bow in after the boss died for the first time yet! I hate that the summoned players disappear so quickly - I like to say thanks for the help.

TheFatOne

I've heard that once you've patched, your save game will only work with v.1.05. I guess that means you can just re-patch and your save will load again, but do your research before trying anything!

Yea I was going to delete the patch, but it's too risky. I guess I have no choice now I need to grind :(

Edit: Watched a speed run of dark souls, and I think I am going to restart the game. I am going to delete the patch data, and restart. Lots of things I don't like about my current build that I can fix. I figure if I'm going to grind for a few hours I might as well restart. I don't plan on using the infinite soul glitch to much. I just want to get back to the same area I am now, but about 10 soul levels higher.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yea I was going to delete the patch, but it's too risky. I guess I have no choice now I need to grind :(

Edit: Watched a speed run of dark souls, and I think I am going to restart the game. I am going to delete the patch data, and restart. Lots of things I don't like about my current build that I can fix. I figure if I'm going to grind for a few hours I might as well restart. I don't plan on using the infinite soul glitch to much. I just want to get back to the same area I am now, but about 10 soul levels higher.

I just restarted my game this weekend. Its shocking how much you'll tear through this game knowing what you know now. The first section of the game took me a good 6 - 10 hours because I was so careful. Did the same section in about two hours during the second play through. Im also more aware of where to put points and such (wasted alot on the resistance stat my first run through).

Ha, The Duke's Archive just really impressed me.

I thought it was a really grand location, just an extension of Anor Londo. Then you get to the "boss" who just fucks you up and you're transported to this really dark prison that reminds me of the start of World 2 from Demon's Souls. Even those blue things remind me of the creepy guards.

I think I'll like this area. I spoilered it because I thought it was quite a nice surprise.

I thought it was a really grand location, just an extension of Anor Londo. Then you get to the "boss" who just fucks you up and you're transported to this really dark prison that reminds me of the start of World 2 from Demon's Souls. Even those blue things remind me of the creepy guards.

I think I'll like this area. I spoilered it because I thought it was quite a nice surprise.

Yeah, the Duke's had great design.
Loved the library/prison area. Lots of greats secrets to get in there.

Varna

Zelda has lost my attention and I'm glad the patch was finally released.

Deleted all my data and starting fresh. DEX build and I will not fall back on using magic (except cast light and other low level utility magic).

elty

I think you are better off with a +5 silver knight shield. I think all elemental shield is weak in stability and it doesn't do anything other than give shield magic damage - useless as you cannot even hit things with a medium shield.

roxya

Does the Divine upgrade line for shields affect their stability? I'm thinking it doesn't. If it doesn't, then you really need a better shield. If you got a Silver Knight Shield drop, upgrade it to +5 (twinkling titanite).

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, Duke's is interesting.
I just beat Seath yesterday, but not sure if I've explored the Archives or the Crystal Cave to the fullest yet...

I feel I missed something in the Catacombs, too. How did you get to Tomb of Giants? Do you go via the Catacombs? I also beat Pinwheel yesterday, but couldn't find anyway to progress without Homeward Boning. Any help would be appreciated!

There's a ladder on the right hand side of the room where you beat Pinwheel. Climb up and you'll be in a very dark area with a few light sources. Follow them and you'll get to Tomb of the Giants.

Good luck finding the bonfire there without the light spell, though!

CatPee

Hmmm... what are the required stats to swing a halberd/club without wobbling all over the place? I have STR in the 30s and DEX in the high 20s and I still can't swing properly.

Wool

Why didn't u lure him into the tunnel away from the edge if it was so important :(

Just got my 2nd one but i'm sl 108, could prob pick u up as a red stone but I don't know if u can trade with invaders....

Yeah that would have been smart, I had never fought him before, so I didn't realize it would be a problem. I added you on PSN. If I catch up to you in SL I'll message you and see if it works out, thanks!

Once you know the layout of the area better, the Tomb of Giants is awesome. Remember 5-2 in Demon's Souls where you were stuck in the mud and the gigantic trolls with clubs would run up to you and kill you? I think the giant skeletons and skele-dogs in the pitch black are this game's version of that. You can run past all of them and get to the second bonfire in about 2 minutes if you know where to go ahead of time and have the skull lantern.

Does anyone know if your faith/talisman effects the "replenishment" miracle? I leveled a little and I couldn't figure out if it was healing any faster or longer, but if it did change it was too small to tell. That miracle makes the 4 kings a breeze.

Dresden

Hmmm... what are the required stats to swing a halberd/club without wobbling all over the place? I have STR in the 30s and DEX in the high 20s and I still can't swing properly.

Halberds or clubs get that wonky animation when you swing at air. Once you actually hit an enemy you won't stagger yourself.

Once you know the layout of the area better, the Tomb of Giants is awesome. Remember 5-2 in Demon's Souls where you were stuck in the mud and the gigantic trolls with clubs would run up to you and kill you? I think the giant skeletons and skele-dogs in the pitch black are this game's version of that. You can run past all of them and get to the second bonfire in about 2 minutes if you know where to go ahead of time and have the skull lantern.

I HATED 5-2 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom