• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

elty

I think giant tomb isn't that bad. I had the sunlight maggot though.

Until I got into the Large Divine Ember area with 5 giant skeleton gang me.

The mini pinwheel is actually pretty easy as they die to my +5 raw composite bow in a few hits.

Leunam

I think giant tomb isn't that bad.

Until I got into the Large Divine Ember area.

That's the bit with like four giant skeletons in a rectangular room? I went in there not knowing what it was and grabbed the shiny and was promptly crushed into paste right after.

Varna

Wonder why they nerfed the leather armor. Now it weighs more and not a single piece is better then the Wanderer's set.

EDIT: Seems like you get items automaticly if you knock an enemy of a cliff. Does this work for getting the ring of favor and protection?

elty

Wonder why they nerfed the leather armor. Now it weighs more and not a single piece is better then the Wanderer's set.

EDIT: Seems like you get items automaticly if you knock an enemy of a cliff. Does this work for getting the ring of favor and protection?

That's sucks since I lost the pharis bow due to she back flip to suicide on my DEX character.

I think giant tomb isn't that bad. I had the sunlight maggot though.

Until I got into the Large Divine Ember area with 5 giant skeleton gang me.

The mini pinwheel is actually pretty easy as they die to my +5 raw composite bow in a few hits.
Man, fuck that large divine ember. I had to end up doing a suicide run to get it.

Varna

Is it still possible to get sucked into NG+ because of an invader? Summoned two allies on the way to gargoyles and we got invaded just before hitting the stairs. Completely trashed the guy and after defeating the boss I got 10,000 souls... seems like way to much.

krakov

The amount of low level darkwraith trolls seem to have reached critical mass. I feel bad for anyone trying to play this game for the first time right now.

Septimius

You don't normally get items like that, but with the ring of favor and protection it most certainly works. Just kick that bastard off the cliff.

roxya

Is it still possible to get sucked into NG+ because of an invader? Summoned two allies on the way to gargoyles and we got invaded just before hitting the stairs. Completely trashed the guy and after defeating the boss I got 10,000 souls... seems like way to much.

They just give more now since the patch.

klee123

Is it just me or is the Black Knight Greataxe one of the best weapons in the game? With a STR build character, the damage is amazing and it's a great crowd control weapon when you use the light attack. Not to mention that's it's surprisingly fast for its size.

TheFatOne

Ash lake is terrifying because of that Hydra. It's a good thing I took it down at less than soul level 10. Thank you glitch. I was running away from the Hydra after it noticed me. It got stuck on something fired it's laser thing, and then died lol So damn lucky. Easiest 10k souls I have ever gotten.

Edit: There is a sick Dark Souls speed run on youtube. The person playing the game is amazing. I am so used to going slow with a shield, but I think I might learn how to play like that. Little armor use the weapon with two hands. Those videos have really helped me a lot

Double Edit: Can anyone give me some tips for a mage/fighter build. I want to wield a shield, and spear. I also want to be a powerful pyromancer. Should I focus on a high intelligence and high endurance?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Double Edit: Can anyone give me some tips for a mage/fighter build. I want to wield a shield, and spear. I also want to be a powerful pyromancer. Should I focus on a high intelligence and high endurance?

Pyromancy is almost totally stat-independent. If it's the main form of spellcasting you're planning on using then there's no particular stat you need other than Attunement to equip more spells. Dexterity improves your casting speed, but not to such a degree that you should go out of your way to pump it for that alone. The sole determiner of your Pyromancy power is the upgrade level of your flame. Upgrade it early and upgrade it often.

Intelligence is for Sorcery builds, so only pump it if you're planning on using those. The highest stat requirement on any spell is 50, and it's not generally useful to pump it beyond that point. Vitality and Endurance are useful for pretty much every build, because everybody needs HP and Stamina. Stamina caps out at 40 Endurance though, so only go beyond that point if you need the equip weight boost.

Spears generally scale better with Dexterity than with Strength, so focus on that if you're not planning on going with a non-scaling upgrade. If you are planning on rolling with a Fire or Lightning spear then just meet the minimum equip requirements for the weapon you want then don't touch them. Unless you're going to 24 Strength for the Pike or Dragonslayer Spear your Strength stat will probably be determined by the shield you want to use. The various Crest shields only take a paltry 10 Strength, Silver Knight takes 14, and Eagle takes 16, with Strength requirements increasing rapidly beyond that point.

You've actually got a lot of flexibility within the parameters you're looking for. The actual baseline stat requirements for most of the equipment you'd be looking at are quite low, and Pyromancy needs next to nothing stat-wise. You could roll with a heavily durability-focused build with almost all stats allocated to Endurance and Vitality, you could broaden out into Intelligence or Faith for Sorcery or Miracles, or you could hit the bare minimums for your equipment, pump your Pyromancy Flame, and start doing low-level invasions. What you're aiming towards is pretty flexible, build-wise, unlike something like a Grant build which needs somewhere in the vicinity of 60 Soul levels just to make the build's central weapon usable.

Minamu

Looked to me like a shield on your back will help against backstabs :lol Saw it in a speed run recently. How do you figure something like that out? xD

elty

You need 0 stat investment for pyro, so you are free to invest in whatever point you want.

Personally, I will have just enough to wield the weapon. 16 STR and 12 DEX should let you equip the Drake sword and then the lightening spear. After that I will bring END and VIT to at least 30. If you want to use some sorcery then invest in INT (12 INT allow you to use a very powerful catalyst, 16 INT let you use most spells) as you please. Then you can decide which route you want to go:

Big weapon = focus on STR, END and VIT to 40
Fast, quick weapon = focus on DEX (halberd/scythe type weapon is heavy hitting and lean towards DEX as well) to 40, then either get VIT and END to 40 or get INT to 25 for magic weapon.
Mage = Focus on INT. Moonlight Greatsword hit pretty hard, so a mage doesn't necessary means weak in melee.

Best all around shield would be silver knight shield. Crest shield and Dragon Crest shield is also good for magic/fire fight.

The strangest thing about this argument is that people seem to think it only affects the other guy. In order for a backstab to land, they have to be in the right place, at the right time FOR THEM. They can't magically backstab you, so it's still down to how you play. Sure, it might feel strange to change your tactic to work ahead of time, but it's not unfair. People with experience can backstab, people without can't see it coming.

If they are to fix this problem in the next game, they must simply take out backstabs.

That's just completely false (from my experience) because not only it happens whether you invade or being invaded, I actually backstabbed people while being slightly to their right or left only to see them teleport in front of me so I can do my backstab. There's no timing for it, just lock on and strife and hit R1 at random times and hope all the stars are aligned and the moon is half full to get it.

You can fix that without removing backstab. Just have a better more seamless online/netcode. I mean having hit conformation a good 1 second after the animation finishes on regular attacks is not a sign of a good netcode and that's way backstabbing is unfair because it largely relies on luck to pull it off or prevent it.

If there is someone who can pull off a couple of 1-frame links into FADC into ultra on a 400ms ping Street Fighter 4, that doesn't mean that a 400ms ping SF4 is a "fair" game.

Zzoram

Is it just me or is the Black Knight Greataxe one of the best weapons in the game? With a STR build character, the damage is amazing and it's a great crowd control weapon when you use the light attack. Not to mention that's it's surprisingly quick.

It is one of the best for sure. It's got a great sweeping arc, fast swing speed, and excellent stun lock.

UFRA

I'm level 88 and still in my first playthrough.

Any suggestions on some good areas where I could help people out as a phantom?

I'm trying the Catacombs right now and am having no luck getting summoned. I would have thought this was far enough into the game that I would get some hits.

:/

Zzoram

I'm trying the Catacombs right now and am having no luck getting summoned. I would have thought this was far enough into the game that I would get some hits.

For some strange reason, only the Bell Gargoyles, Capra Demon, Quelaag, Ceaseless Discharge, and Ornstein & Smough are consistently active for summoning. Everywhere else I find it's hard to co-op.

How is Bed of Chaos hard?

I could understand if the boss reset every time you died, but it doesn't.

Because it sweeps you into the pit like nothing, you roll off the root if you don't hit it right, and all of its attacks do HUGE damage and are difficult to dodge.

While we are doing the dick waving, I didn't find O&S, the Gargoyles, or Sif (especially the wolf) hard in the slightest.

Man, I feel like this patch really nerfed Iron Flesh hard.

I used it a lot on boss fights on my 1st playthrough and now I'm having a lot more trouble with these bosses.

Is it just me or is the Black Knight Greataxe one of the best weapons in the game? With a STR build character, the damage is amazing and it's a great crowd control weapon when you use the light attack. Not to mention that's it's surprisingly quick.

Black Knight Greataxe is a great weapon, would recommend using it and fully upgrading it to any STR build. For some reason I didn't pick it up in my first playthrough even though I killed the black knight in the catacombs.

Zzoram

Black Knight Greataxe is a great weapon, would recommend using it and fully upgrading it to any STR build. For some reason I didn't pick it up in my first playthrough even though I killed the black knight in the catacombs.

It's a random drop from any Black Knight that uses it, as are all the Black/Silver Knight weapons.

Any tips on beating Phantom Lautrec and his two pals? It seems every time I attack him he just deflects it with whatever curved sword he's using.

Zzoram

Man, I feel like this patch really nerfed Iron Flesh hard.

I used it a lot on boss fights on my 1st playthrough and now I'm having a lot more trouble with these bosses.

Yep, it provides like 25% of the protection it used to.

It's basically worthless now because you'd be better off dodging.

Zzoram

Any tips on beating Phantom Lautrec and his two pals? It seems every time I attack him he just deflects it with whatever curved sword he's using.

Kill the mage first. It's much easier when you're not getting soul arrows in your back.

If you have a bow, you can lure the pals first I think. It's tricky though, being the right distance so that your arrows trigger the pull, but not too close so that you end up pulling them all.

It's better to avoid his attacks all together, he uses Shotels so like 20% of their damage gets past your shield even when you block with a 100% physical shield. The best time to hit him is when he does his clunky roll, immediately RUN towards him and hit him a few times then back off. Bait his attacks by stepping forward, then step back so he misses then does his clunky roll.

TheFatOne

Restarting was a great idea. I don't need to grind for souls anymore, and my character is much more powerful. The soul glitch probably made me keep playing the game because I would have stopped playing it if I had to grind for souls.

Oh shit. I
think I just made Solaire disappear in my game. I thought you could just kill the bugs and be done with it; I went ahead and killed the Bed fo Chaos, without killing the Centipede demon, and now Brolaire is gone :(

Eccocid

finally at new game + after like spending 80 hours on first run. started to NG+ at SL90, killed Gaping Dragon an hour ago. SO far it seems very easy. The only thing i noticed is enemies have more HP and do more damage but if i don't remember wrong NG+ was much more difficult in Demon's Souls.

So my question is...

There is no way to invade people at the beginning of the game right? I got few cracked red eye orbs. But to invade more, i have to join Nito or Darkmoon or forest etc right? So if i run out of cracked orbs i have to play till i join to one of those covenants? That's so lame. :/

Maybe i should rush in to catacombs and try my luck with Gravelord.

Dresden

Bed of Chaos is just a boring boss where once you figure out its gimmick it's easy but you'll still end up dying a few times anyways with a simple sweep of a branch. Couple that with it being at the end of the worst zone in the game and you have the worst boss in the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I second the Bed of Chaos complaints. That shit was weak. Other than that, Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith were actually fairly easy. Nonetheless, I had two NPC tragedies: hollow Solaire (I had been following his quest so well up until that point) and Siegmeyer who fuckin' died even though we cleared out those Chaos Eaters in like 5 seconds. I really thought I had done a good job there.

finally at new game + after like spending 80 hours on first run. started to NG+ at SL90, killed Gaping Dragon an hour ago. SO far it seems very easy. The only thing i noticed is enemies have more HP and do more damage but if i don't remember wrong NG+ was much more difficult in Demon's Souls.

Yes, not even close. DeS NG+ was much harder than DaS, I said it before, this game's bosses are disappointing on how easy they are the first time, I expected to at least be a little harder in NG+ but so far I killed every boss on my first try.
I miss that asshole Flamelurker

So my question is...

There is no way to invade people at the beginning of the game right? I got few cracked red eye orbs. But to invade more, i have to join Nito or Darkmoon or forest etc right? So if i run out of cracked orbs i have to play till i join to one of those covenants? That's so lame. :/

Maybe i should rush in to catacombs and try my luck with Gravelord.

I think you can join the Darkwriath by beating 4 Kings before giving the Lordvessal to Frampnt. That's at least what I'm going to do.

Wool

The first room in Sen's Fortress with the two snake people is a great place to put your sign. Anor Londo is good too, but depending on if they have any of the shortcuts it can be a really long session. I'm around level ~70 right now, you should add me.

Eccocid

Bonfire at Depths has always high traffic.

23161065_p5.jpg

I finally found a build I like to play.

I used to be a Havel then Ornstein 40 vit 40 endurane guy with +5 lightening spear and havel ring + ring of the favored.

Now : complete +5 paladin armor, +5 fire solaire and a +5 shield from the asylum (don't remember the name), +5 lightening claymore, ring of the favored and the second ring slot for a rong according to the situation. Like it. Good resistance, fast roll, nice damage output, I can deal lot of damage while getting hit a lot. Nice for coop / pvp.

Any idea on how I can make it better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom