• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Favorite: Gwyn and Sif. Both were different in tone compared to the rest of the game and fighting Gwyn especially was different and actually required some good timing with the parries. Gaping Dragon was awesome first time and I also liked Capra Demon.

Least: Definitely Four Kings. First time I was underwhelmed because I beat it on the first try and didn't even have change to observe the fight. Second time in New Game+ I almost broke my Dualshock in frustration. Bed of Chaos was a stupid and weird fight but it's an easy one so it's not that bad.

I wish I could play through this game again for the first time.

Ceaseless Discharge is one of the easiest bosses. Just stay where he is when you first attack him. Strafe into one direction until he's just about to hit, then quickly roll to the opposite sides 2-3 times. Wait for the flames to go away and hit his what ever it is he's hitting you with. I beat him in all of my playthroughs this way and even when you're using a crap weapon you'll get him down.

oracrest

Damn, seeing your Demons' Souls playthroughs I figured you'd be among the first to finish. Real life interference?

Yeah, lots of outside things happening that have kept me from playing as much as I would like. On the other hand, These are games that I like to savor and take my time with also, so I haven't minded.

Also, favorite and least favorite boss so far?

Ceaseless Discharge is a pain, so he's probably on my least favorite list, but I really loved Gravelord Nito, Capra Demon, Moonlight Butterfly, and Silf. Lots of great atmosphere in all of them.

Eccocid

I've been hit with the Eye several times, but never once have I actually found the invasion sign. The game really needs to give some sort of indication of what direction it's in. Trying to find an invasion sign in Sen's Fortress is insane.

I used gravelord few times today and someone got back in to my world to kill me. But i didn't know that you had to find a sign to go to graveyards' world. I thought after you kill those enemies sent by gravelord you would automatically warp to their world.(now that sounds so reasonable and easy for a Souls game lol)

MY favorite boss would be gaping dragon. since it takes more time to kill him even with buffed spells it feels more fun. Most of the other bosses have so many exploits :/ I loved Sif but i cheated on him :/
I hope next game would have some multi tier boss battles. Most of the bosses die so quickly after you figure out what to do. I want different phases for the battles.

Wool

Speaking of the Great Club, that thing WRECKS Giant Skeletons in the Tomb. Like how small blunt weapons smash normal skeletons to bits temporarily. Same thing for the Giant ones.

Yeah I've been trying out all of the 50 strength weapons, that giant club is awesome.

I don't know for sure, but I think the Demon's Greataxe might have the highest available damage output. If you upgrade it to +15 it does 285 base damage with an "A" ranking in strength. You can also still use resin or spells to buff it. If you had the highest level darkmoon blade to buff it with you could be one-hitting everything.

There's no real way to hint at the other ending without giving the whole thing away. However, I will say that all you have to do is walk back out of the Kiln to get the other ending. And yes, the Abyss NPC will give you some backstory to that.

EDIT: Favorite: My avatar. Gaping dragon is also fun, though he's easy.

Least: BED OF FUCKING CHAOS, with Four Kings as runner up

Thanks man :) NG+ it is, then! Still quite a few things I have to see.

I loved Gwyn's theme btw, it was unexpected but it fitted perfectly.

:( I like the game so much I really didn't want it to end, damn.

Sullichin

I've never found a fair way to fight that boss. Every time I try the melee approach he does that seemingly unavoidable slam attack that can't be rolled away from.

Also, favorite and least favorite boss so far?

I beat CD on my first run with melee, not knowing that I could do the fall off the ledge thing. I don't remember if I rolled from or blocked the attack in question, but I remember it was a pain in the ass.

Favorites: Ornstein and Smough, Gaping Dragon, Firesage demon (it's like a less annoying version of the stray demon fight which is fun but I found very difficult). Felt pretty good when I bested Capra for the first time.

Least favorite: Bed of Chaos is just annoying, but at least it doesn't reset. I've beaten Nito on my first try in NG and NG+, but dislike the area leading up to him. Four Kings was fine on NG but in NG+ it was very annoying and I grew to dislike running from Firelink down to the boss. I also hated Priscilla, I know of all the tricks to make her turn visible, but I got wrecked in that fight several times. Gwynn is fucking annoying if you mess up and have to run all the way through the kiln again.

Favorite: Gaping Dragon. While not particularly challenging from a technique standpoint, I've had some loooooooong battles with it - like multiple encounters of 20+ minutes, even with help. My most recent battle with it I was sucking humanity to stay alive.

Least Favorite: Can't really argue with Bed of Chaos, though part of me wants to say it shouldn't even count as it's so atypical. That said I'll go with Hydra. It's exciting at first, but then you get down to last couple heads and it turns into this lame waiting game of "can I hit it this time?" while it misses you over and over and you miss it over and over.

EasyMode

I should answer my own question. Fave: Ornstein & Smough. Least: Bed of Chaos.

I also really enjoy fighting Stray Demon. He feels like the true sequel to the tutorial boss in Demon's Souls.

Edit: NEOPARADIGM just reminded me of the Hydras. Very tedious minibosses with wonky camera action. Also, Centipede Demon would have been much better without the camera being pinned up against the wall.

roxya

I don't know for sure, but I think the Demon's Greataxe might have the highest available damage output. If you upgrade it to +15 it does 285 base damage with an "A" ranking in strength. You can also still use resin or spells to buff it. If you had the highest level darkmoon blade to buff it with you could be one-hitting everything.

I tried the Demon's GA (I have 46 strength). It's certainly a beast, but it weighs 22.0, which is a full 10 more than the Great Club. Can't justify using it at all.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Man this game is fun starting from scratch once you know everything about the game.

Been playing as low an SL as possible. Now up to 32. Was going to make this a DEX/INT run but now I'm not sure what direction I want to take it.

V 15
A 12
E 15
S 16
D 21
R 12
I 16
F 8

Rocking Quelaags Fury+5, Eagle shield, black leather armor and Ring of Favor+Dark Woodgrain.

Any...thoughts? I want to keep it as far under SL 50 as possible. I've cleared everything up to Ornstein&Smough.

.GqueB.

Banned
Man this game is fun starting from scratch once you know everything about the game.

Been playing as low an SL as possible. Now up to 32. Was going to make this a DEX/INT run but now I'm not sure what direction I want to take it.

V 15
A 12
E 15
S 16
D 21
R 12
I 16
F 8

Rocking Quelaags Fury+5, Eagle shield, black leather armor and Ring of Favor+Dark Woodgrain.

Any...thoughts? I want to keep it as far under SL 50 as possible. I've cleared everything up to Ornstein&Smough.

I did the same thing over the weekend for fun. Im waiting for a friend to level up so I can play with my level 80 character and finish the game so I decided to start over and see how far I could get.

But I actually find that I like my faith build more. Im a bit more focused since I know where all my stats need to go (no resistance this time) and I know what weapons I need to use for the most part. Im a pyro in my other save so I was just using whatever strong weapons I could find. Ascending etc etc. No real focus though. So I may continue on with my faith build.

Had a genius plan today though. Im going to level up to 60 while my friend levels up to 70. He'll summon my lvl80 character and I'll drop everything I need from that save and he'll pick it up. Then he'll summon my level 70 faith build and give me all my stuff. Cross dimensional item transfer is what we're calling it. This way I dont lose all the shit I worked EXTREMELY hard for in my first save. I logged about 125 hours there. Didnt even finish the game.

Hope that plan works. Its only a theory at this point.

EasyMode

Yeah, It's fun starting a new character. My first destination from Firelink is always Valley of Drakes and Blighttown to pick up all the souls and great loot lying around.

For a low level character I like your choice of rings and shield. Usually when making a low level character I'll put the minimum stats needed to wield my weapons of choice and put the rest into Vit and End.

scosher

Fave: 4 Kings (I love the adrenaline rush of this fight), S&O

Worst: Bed of Chaos (only boss fight I have yet to ever one-shot), Hydra (annoying to kill).

Most disappointed in: Sif, Iron Golem, and Belltower Gargoyles. I say this mainly because these fights seemed inspired by some of Demon's Souls best bosses (Flamelurker, Tower Knight, Maneaters respectively), whom were harder, more engaging, and more rewarding upon defeat. Then again, it could just be that I was more experienced, but I still felt Sif, Iron Golem, and Gargoyles were weaksauce compared to their counterparts in DeS.

No flame chip damage from Sif or enrage mode at 20%; no ranged attack for Iron Golem or a special tactic that required knocking out its legs; no tight corridor or timed spawn for the 2nd Belltower Gargoyle (could be wrong on this, but it seems the 2nd gargoyle in DkS only appears when you get the 1st to half health...while in DeS, the second maneater could arrive if you simply took too long with the 1st).

.GqueB.

Banned

Worst: Bed of Chaos (only boss fight I have yet to ever one-shot), Hydra (annoying to kill).

Most disappointed in: Sif, Iron Golem, and Belltower Gargoyles. I say this mainly because these fights seemed inspired by some of Demon's Souls best bosses (Flamelurker, Tower Knight, Maneaters respectively), whom were harder, more engaging, and more rewarding upon defeat. Then again, it could just be that I was more experienced, but I still felt Sif, Iron Golem, and Gargoyles were weaksauce compared to their counterparts in DeS.

No flame chip damage from Sif or enrage mode at 20%; no ranged attack for Iron Golem or a special tactic that required knocking out its legs; no tight corridor or timed spawn for the 2nd Belltower Gargoyle (could be wrong on this, but it seems the 2nd gargoyle in DkS only appears when you get the 1st to half health...while in DeS, the second maneater could arrive if you simply took too long with the 1st).

Maneater was definitely my most memorable fight from Demons Soul. I never heard anything about that fight, never saw video, pretty much went in there cold and alone. Started fighting the first and thought: "this isnt so tough" and then the second one appeared. Figured I was dead but then I got into this grove where I would hit them with arrows then dodge and roll to the other side of the bridge. Did this over and over again for like 20-30 minutes expecting to die at any moment. Somehow never did. I think I used every healing item I had. It was insane.

Sullichin

I did find those bosses you mentioned to be surprisingly easy. The rest of Sen's is way harder for a new player than Iron Golem, who is one of the easiest bosses in the game.

scosher

Maneater was definitely my most memorable fight from Demons Soul. I never heard anything about that fight, never saw video, pretty much went in there cold and alone. Started fighting the first and thought: "this isnt so tough" and then the second one appeared. Figured I was dead but then I got into this grove where I would hit them with arrows then dodge and roll to the other side of the bridge. Did this over and over again for like 20-30 minutes expecting to die at any moment. Somehow never did. I think I used every healing item I had. It was insane.

For the Gargoyles, it would've been interesting (and maybe a bit trolling to the gamer) if the first gargoyle had an absurd amount of health, but the second was significantly more fragile...so that when you finally got one to 50% and the second spawned, the best tactic would be to go and take care of the new add before finishing up the guy you've been working on.

EasyMode

Fave: 4 Kings (I love the adrenaline rush of this fight)
This fight is always a rush for me. Love the design, atmosphere, and music. It's just too bad that the strategies for this fight are all kinda lame.

I feel you on Sif, Iron Golem, and the Gargoyles. Although I'm not sure about Sif being the counterpart to Flamelurker. It would be cool if he had an enrage mode though.

sixghost

I found it VERY easy. Never watched a guide or video. Saw the two runes (?), and thought "It's Dragon god 2.0". The rest was a peace of cake. Lucky one I guess.

That boss is completely unpredictable when it comes to difficulty. My first two times through it, I had no idea how people could struggle with that boss. I thought they were just having trouble avoiding the floor crumbling. But on my way through NG+ I died something like 9 times on that thing.

I literally walked through that boss without getting touched the first couple times, then on NG+ it was constantly knocking me into the holes in the floor despite blocking, being way more aggressive, using firestorms. I died twice within 2-3 seconds of killing the Bed because it decided to use a firestorm. There was literally nothing I could do because of how narrow that place is.

You'll understand how frustrating it can be if that kind of stuff starts happening to you. The long distance from bonfire to the boss makes it even worse.
I did find those bosses you mentioned to be surprisingly easy. The rest of Sen's is way harder for a new player than Iron Golem, who is one of the easiest bosses in the game.
The Iron Golem can be extremely frustrating if you aren't careful to stay in the middle of the circular area. He could be at 10% health, and not have touched you once, but one good swipe, even if you block it, can send you rolling off the ledge. He's alot like Capra and Firesage, they wouldn't be hard if you fought them in a huge open field, but they can be a bitch when you fight them in the areas that they are specifically designed to fight in.

Why are people comparing Sif to Flamelurker?

Sif has, like, the complete and total opposite of a Rage mode. It's supposed to evoke a completely different reaction than Flamelurker. You are supposed to feel bad for having to kill Sif- after all, you are the one trying to graverob Artorias' tomb, and by the end of the fight, he can barely even stand. You are basically killing someone (Sif is probably intelligent, seeing as he can wield a sword with a good deal of skill) who's defending the grave and memory of his dead friend- which, as a reminder, you have defiled.

The funny thing is, if Flamelurker were in Dark Souls he'd be completely free because of Poise and the ton of anti Fire measures that are in this game. Greatshield of Artorias would likely just stand there and laugh at pretty much every attack he has. He was still one of the better bosses of the Souls series though, he just had that "holy crap this thing is trying to kill me" atmosphere down to a science.

Sullichin

That boss is completely unpredictable when it comes to difficulty. My first two times through it, I had no idea how people could struggle with that boss. I thought they were just having trouble avoiding the floor crumbling. But on my way through NG+ I died something like 9 times on that thing.

I literally walked through that boss without getting touched the first couple times, then on NG+ it was constantly knocking me into the holes in the floor despite blocking, being way more aggressive, using firestorms. I died twice within 2-3 seconds of killing the Bed because it decided to use a firestorm. There was literally nothing I could do because of how narrow that place is.

You'll understand how frustrating it can be if that kind of stuff starts happening to you. The long distance from bonfire to the boss makes it even worse.

The Iron Golem can be extremely frustrating if you aren't careful to stay in the middle of the circular area. He could be at 10% health, and not have touched you once, but one good swipe, even if you block it, can send you rolling off the ledge. He's alot like Capra and Firesage, they wouldn't be hard if you fought them in a huge open field, but they can be a bitch when you fight them in the areas that they are specifically designed to fight in.

The environment is the biggest threat in the Iron Golem fight, but I still think he's easier than a lot of other bosses. If you're careful he's a piece of cake and goes down really fast. I do like that fight, and its fun to help people there co-op.

The funny thing is, if Flamelurker were in Dark Souls he'd be completely free because of Poise and the ton of anti Fire measures that are in this game. Greatshield of Artorias would likely just stand there and laugh at pretty much every attack he has. He was still one of the better bosses of the Souls series though, he just had that "holy crap this thing is trying to kill me" atmosphere down to a science.

Imagine fighting Gwyn, the Kings, or S & O in Demon's Souls.

*pees pants*

one85x

I always lure the Iron Golem over to the narrow part of the roof, since there's a chance he can fall of the ledge once you make him topple over.

Septimius

I always lure the Iron Golem over to the narrow part of the roof, since there's a chance he can fall of the ledge once you make him topple over.

That's what happened by chance first time I killed him. The animation was pretty amazing.

Oh, apparently you can cancel a stun-lock by toggling your left or right equipment.

sixghost

The environment is the biggest threat in the Iron Golem fight, but I still think he's easier than a lot of other bosses. If you're careful he's a piece of cake and goes down really fast. I do like that fight, and its fun to help people there co-op.

I think you have to consider IG's difficulty without the stagger trick though. From the sounds of it, there was a similar boss in DeSo with the same trick, but I had absolutely no clue that worked the first couple times I fought him. That fight was a bitch.

Also, he does have a ranged attack, contrary to what sound said a bit earlier. He'll do the same wind attack that you can do when you make his axe.

S&O are the definitive boss for me though. It took me days to beat them, and it was pure joy when I finally killed giant smough. Looking back, my first character was such a fucking mess.

Sullichin

I think you have to consider IG's difficulty without the stagger trick though. From the sounds of it, there was a similar boss in DeSo with the same trick, but I had absolutely no clue that worked the first couple times I fought him. That fight was a bitch.

Also, he does have a ranged attack, contrary to what sound said a bit earlier. He'll do the same wind attack that you can do when you make his axe.

S&O are the definitive boss for me though. It took me days to beat them, and it was pure joy when I finally killed giant smough. Looking back, my first character was such a fucking mess.

I guess my build just worked well for Iron Golem, his attacks are slow and I never blocked, just rolled away or ran through his legs. Didn't know about the leg stagger my first time either, it just so happened that I hit his legs with my halberd. In co-op/NG+ I'd roll out of range after he swings and have enough time to cast some devastating pyromancy on his ass too. I definitely had more trouble with the tower knight in DkS, but I was terrible at that game and never got very far.

S&O are the definitive boss for me too. I love that fight. Felt quite accomplished beating giant Smough on NG and equally accomplished killing super ornstein solo on NG+. It's also tons of fun to help people co-op that boss and the music is awesome. Best fight in the game.

chunk3rvd

Looking online to plan out all my NPC quest paths and I'm wondering - is there any benefit to keeping Solaire alive?

I spend nearly 50% of my play time as a Sunbro and I'd love to run round dressed like him while I do so. Will killing him betray the covenant?

Sullichin

Looking online to plan out all my NPC quest paths and I'm wondering - is there any benefit to keeping Solaire alive?

I spend nearly 50% of my play time as a Sunbro and I'd love to run round dressed like him while I do so. Will killing him betray the covenant?

I don't think so, he was already dead in Lost Izalith by the time I joined the sunbros in my first game

Sullichin

Him being dead by 'natural causes' =/= killing him intentionally. I would research that a bit more before doing such a move.

True, but
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Warrior+of+Sunlight
doesn't mention needing Solaire to be alive / killing Solaire betraying the covenant. I'd think it would if you couldn't. You can join at the altar, he doesn't need to be there. Anyway, a google search says that you can kill him and not betray the covenant. Haven't tried it myself though.

So I'm like.... UNDER New Londo... Like Ive drained the lake.. and I jumped onto what I thought was a safe piece of geometry, then I just fell through, but I'm still alive and the camera is locked in an overhead view and my controls are inverted. WHAT

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
So I'm like.... UNDER New Londo... Like Ive drained the lake.. and I jumped onto what I thought was a safe piece of geometry, then I just fell through, but I'm still alive and the camera is locked in an overhead view and my controls are inverted. WHAT

Oh man. take a picture.

save and quit and then check if you're still glitched out of the map

if worse comes to worst, there's always the darksign

Sullichin

I started a new sorcerer yesterday, it's kind of amazing how differently I have to approach the combat from my previous build (which didn't use any sorcery).

Sorcerer's catalyst spell damage scales with intelligence? Asking because I don't see Right Hand Weapon AR increase like it would with a scaling melee weapon.

So I got out by falling off a ledge to where I already was(wrap your head around that).

Sorry no pics :( I was a little too worried about being stuck to do anything else but run around hoping I'd get out. Was pretty funny though

Should have tried using the Pendant!!!!!!!

My favourite boss is probably Gwyn, fighting him melee without parries. I love the atmosphere of that fight. The way that he just comes charging at you as soon as you enter and leaps through the air with that flaming sword, so intimidating. Ornstein and Smough are a close second, had so many good co-op fights there. Although Quelaag is easy once you learn her tells it's a fun fight. Bed of chaos isn't a real boss, so I won't count it as my least favourite. Least favourite is probably centipede demon if you don't have the orange charred ring. Such a messy fight. Not keen on Four Kings but I've always cheesed them with iron flesh, next time I'm going to try and fight them properly (thanks 1.05!)

A big disappointment to me was how Iron Golem should have been this games Tower Knight but the battle with him just pales in comparison.

EasyMode

Four Kings would be pretty much impossible in Demon's Souls, I'm not even joking.

It would be doable I think. A bunch of the large weapons in that game had attacks that couldn't be interrupted (like poise). The Warding spell would let you take the beating, and without the movement penalty of Iron Flesh. Plus there's no limit on healing items.

My favourite boss is probably Gwyn, fighting him melee without parries. I love the atmosphere of that fight. The way that he just comes charging at you as soon as you enter and leaps through the air with that flaming sword, so intimidating. Ornstein and Smough are a close second, had so many good co-op fights there. Although Quelaag is easy once you learn her tells it's a fun fight. Bed of chaos isn't a real boss, so I won't count him as my least favourite. Least favourite is probably centipede demon if you don't have the orange charred ring. Such a messy fight.

A big disappointment to me was how Iron Golem should have been this games Tower Knight but the battle with him just pales in comparison.

I completely forget the Centipede even exists every time bosses come up. It just feel so...uninspired.

Imagine fighting Gwyn, the Kings, or S & O in Demon's Souls.

*pees pants*

I don't think any of those would be much different in demon's tbh. You could probably hyper mode S&O pretty easily.

As for favorite boss, I don't really think I have one tbh, non of the bosses gave me the same thrill and sense of accomplishment as Flamelurker, Maneater or False King or even the very unique Old Monk, but if I had to single out one, I would say Gwyndolin. He was unique even though not that technical or hard.

Least favorite is probably the Butterfly since it's just a waste of a boss really. 4 Kings on NG+ are straight up cheap instead of actually challenging.

Sullichin

I completely forget the Centipede even exists every time bosses come up. It just feel so...uninspired.

I didn't even know wtf was going on when I fought that. I waited for it to come out of the lava, then it obscured my vision and I just wailed on it while the game chugged along at like 10fps until it died.

I didn't even know wtf was going on when I fought that. I waited for it to come out of the lava, then it obscured my vision and I just wailed on it while the game chugged along at like 10fps until it died.

lol, exactly. Most fun I've had with that fight was summoning a couple of phantoms and standing on the sidelines healing them while they fought it (I didn't have the lava ring and they did)

chunk3rvd

I thought the forest farming spot hadn't been affected by the patch but I'm only getting 1000 souls for each of them now :/

Just beat S&O - are there any better farming spots where I am? The silver knights around the bonfire there?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I finally made it to Gwyn.....but I don't want the game to end so I lost to him once and now I'm farming so I can buy twinkling titanite and upgrade all my dope gear. Black Knight armor looks slick as hell but I'm still feeling the Paladin set. Hell, I still have yet to explore the Great Hollow. Truly this is the game of forever.

edit: favorite bosses were S & O (also the toughest for my melee character) and Gwyndolin (just cuz he's a smooth bastard)

tokkun

I finally made it to Gwyn.....but I don't want the game to end so I lost to him once and now I'm farming so I can buy twinkling titanite and upgrade all my dope gear. Black Knight armor looks slick as hell but I'm still feeling the Paladin set. Hell, I still have yet to explore the Great Hollow. Truly this is the game of forever.

edit: favorite bosses were S & O (also the toughest for my melee character) and Gwyndolin (just cuz he's a smooth bastard)

Beat game, restart. You will get like 3X as many souls in NG+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom