• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

Hawkian said:
That painting is called the "The Ash Yggdrasil" intriguingly enough.
In Norse Mythology, the first man is called Ask or Ash. Also, the Yggdrasil is usually portrayed as an Ash Tree.

Jonsoncao

Banned
jersoc said:
so I need some advice.
I was fighting the mimic for the lightening weapon in sen's and the damn mimic fell down the hole.
So uh, what weapon should I go for now? :|

minor spoiler about sen fort just in case.
Supposed you haven't died since, reload the game the item should be right in front of where he fell.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Hawkian said:
I might have to get that, blocking magic is very helpful for me. I LOVE how my character plays with my current armor/ring setup, and I'm getting used to the idea of dispensing with a shield altogether soon unless absolutely necessary. The parrying dagger + lightning knife will probably be my main (since I can't get claws :(), but I'm interested in other unusual left hand weapons. Using the shotel sometimes now mostly because I love its parry animation...
uxnjW.png

I LOVE the look of the Shotel.

Looks so awesome.

Wallachia

Guevara said:
In Norse Mythology, the first man is called Ask or Ash. Also, the Yggdrasil is usually portrayed as an Ash Tree.

Well hell, that is awesome, and this all fits just too well. Check this out. Someone edit it and replace the Dark Souls levels into it, Lol

yggdrasil.jpg

x3r0123

Wallachia said:
Well hell, that is awesome, and this all fits just too well. Check this out. Someone edit it and replace the Dark Souls levels into it, Lol

http://perelandran.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/yggdrasil.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

never realized it but this and the other picture makes a lot of sense now

Guevara

^Awesome pic, and yeah Anor Londo is pretty much Asgard. Undead Berg/Parish/Firelink/New Londo/ Sen's Fortress are all the worlds of men. Everything south of the depths is the realm of demons, except for Ash Lake which is outside this world.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sen's Fortress is a decent fit for Jotunheim; giants, and the brain gargoyles are like the Bifrost taking you to Asgard (Anor Londo).

Certainly Inferno and the Demon Ruins. The Burg and Parish would be Midgard...

Hmm and Darkroot makes me think of Vanaheim (Alvina/Vanir?)...

Wonder how much of it was actually drawn up intentionally.

^ Woah man, now that's really thought provoking.

Especially:

Though whole serpent around the depths of the tree. It totally mirrors frampt & Kaathe

Some guy named Yoshi-42 or something like that just invaded me at Blightown (where the poision swamps are). I was trying to summon my friend the whole time when all of a sudden i'd noticed "Invader Yoshi-42 has been slain". Poison must have very slowly killed him lol. He must have been angry.

dralla

fuck the stat scaling in this game. i upgraded to occult +3 and it was a huge waste. i thought i was supposed to get an increase in faith scaling but nope, still at C. honestly, it's so much easier to make a lightning or fire weapon. i wanted to take my morning star all the way through but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. regular lightning spear you pick up destroys my occult 3 morning star :[ i already used a katana in DS1 and my first character in DS2, i wanted to change it up a bit. sigh

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Urban Scholar said:
^ Woah man, now that's really though provoking.

Especially:

Though whole serpent around the depths of the tree. It totally mirrors frampt & Kaathe
Ah true... and Nidhogg's a hungry serpent at that, though he chews on the roots of the tree and not your shitty extra armor. :p

So I'm
in the painting and I reached to Priscilla. Should I kill the crossbreed Priscilla or should I just return home? She seems so gentle I think I'll feel bad killing her. What's the benefit if I do?

Infernodash said:
So I'm
in the painting and I reached to Priscilla. Should I kill the crossbreed Priscilla or should I just return home? She seems so gentle I think I'll feel bad killing her. What's the benefit if I do?

You can complete the game :)

Hawkian said:
Sen's Fortress is a decent fit for Jotunheim; giants, and the brain gargoyles are like the Bifrost taking you to Asgard (Anor Londo).

Certainly Inferno and the Demon Ruins. The Burg and Parish would be Midgard...

Hmm and Darkroot makes me think of Vanaheim (Alvina/Vanir?)...

Wonder how much of it was actually drawn up intentionally.

Very thought provoking, Yggdrasil/Norse mythology seems to be a huge influence in Japan. I'm surprised, but also not, by the parallels. I didn't think of it, but it makes complete sense. Your interpretations of some of the more specific things are quite sound.

54-46!

Sen's Fortress has been the easiest of all areas so far (only died three times, including the boss), I'm assuming they'll put me down on the ground again now that I've reached Anor Londo.

redhot_

Infernodash said:
So I'm

Weapon from her tail, and a trophy lol

Dresden

dralla said:
fuck the stat scaling in this game. i upgraded to occult +3 and it was a huge waste. i thought i was supposed to get an increase in faith scaling but nope, still at C. honestly, it's so much easier to make a lightning or fire weapon. i wanted to take my morning star all the way through but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. regular lightning spear you pick up destroys my occult 3 morning star :[ i already used a katana in DS1 and my first character in DS2, i wanted to change it up a bit. sigh
You get a bigger boost from magic damage with Occult +3 at C then Divine +8 at C, I think, at least at like 42 Faith. Maybe they mislabeled it, but either way, you still get a bigger boost from what I've seen.

Urban Scholar said:
^ Woah man, now that's really thought provoking.

Especially:

o_O

Primordial Serpents

OWWW my head hurts

MoxManiac

Guevara said:
^Awesome pic, and yeah Anor Londo is pretty much Asgard. Undead Berg/Parish/Firelink/New Londo/ Sen's Fortress are all the worlds of men. Everything south of the depths is the realm of demons, except for Ash Lake which is outside this world.

Ash Lake is not outside the world, it's next to the demon ruins/lost izelath, you can see it in tomb of the giants.

Zeth

Picked it up again since taking a break last week and still can't get past the archers in Anor Londo. My buddy told me to leave and come back with poison arrows, is there any other way that doesn't involve leaving AL? I guess I could always go back and do some grinding in that forest spot.

Fuckers knock me off every damn time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does anybody have some (or all) examples of things you could beat the game without ever doing? I want to make sure I don't just skip out on something awesome. The open-endedness is great, but I feel like it would be way easier to miss big chunks of the game in this one.

Zeth said:
Picked it up again since taking a break last week and still can't get past the archers in Anor Londo. My buddy told me to leave and come back with poison arrows, is there any other way that doesn't involve leaving AL? I guess I could always go back and do some grinding in that forest spot.

What are your strengths (what kind of character)?

If you have lots of stamina and are agile, you can just run straight toward the right archer, roll to avoid a shot or two when you get close, and then he'll switch to melee. Get a riposte off and you're golden. You really only need to kill him. The left one is just guarding something unremarkable if I remember right.

redhot_ said:
yup you can just run right by her. if you do attack. shoot an arrow at her face so you can see her.
priscilla also
causes massive bleed build-up, make sure to bring the red moss and use your most bleed resistant gear because once the bar is full you will take a shit-ton of damage

Zeth said:

run. just time the arrows so that you run just as one is about to hit a wall near you. sprint up the buttress between them and make your way toward the right archer as fast as possible. the idea is to get him to go melee instead of firing at you. if your shield/stam is good enough, you can wedge yourself between the wall and the knight and after 2-3 swings at your shield he'll probably just fall off himself.

redhot_

Zeth said:

When your on the ledge beside the right one, just roll carefully when ever he goes to shoot, when he takes out his sword, attack or just run back and he will fall off.

Infinite_Daremo said:
You can complete the game :)

redhot_ said:
Weapon from her tail, and a trophy lol

Lol so evil guys... I'm still here contemplating. Some of the comments I've read are too hilarious. Someone killed her and then put a beware of liar in the doorway. He Killed her because she lied about the place being peaceful is too funny.

Trophy and a dagger that goes well with my Dark Ninja. I guess it's time to send her to a more peaceful place.

Dresden

Zeth said:

Just run up there, then run to the archer to the right. Stay right up against him and the archer to the left won't even hit you. I've helped people get past that spot multiple times now as I get summoned on Anor Londo bridge, and this always works.

vilmer_

I tried staying fairly low in SL before joining the Darkwraiths just so I can do some pvp with people who are fairly new to it. Every time I invade someone at SL50 I seem to run into someone from Japan who knocks my head off lol.

Infernodash said:
Lol so evil guys... I'm still here contemplating. Some of the comments I've read are too hilarious. Someone killed her and then put a beware of liar in the doorway. He Killed her because she lied about the place being peaceful is too funny.

Trophy and a dagger that goes well with my Dark Ninja. I guess it's time to send her to a more peaceful place.

Remember to look for footprints. Wont tell you much else though :)

darkwing

vilmer_ said:
I tried staying fairly low in SL before joining the Darkwraiths just so I can do some pvp with people who are fairly new to it. Every time I invade someone at SL50 I seem to run into someone from Japan who knocks my head off lol.

for sure these guys are in NG+ at least

vilmer_

darkwing said:
for sure these guys are in NG+ at least

Is there no more +/- 10 levels like Demon's Souls? That would suck if If I'm fighting guys in the 100s ack! I thought I would be fighting 40-60 :eek:

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Infernodash said:

Wait a minute, she's got a dagger that scales with DEX, hmm?

darkwing

vilmer_ said:
Is there no more +/- 10 levels like Demon's Souls? That would suck if If I'm fighting guys in the 100s ack! I thought I would be fighting 40-60 :eek:

no it just means these guys know their stuff :D

Zeth

Wow! Thanks for all the replies about the AL archers! My character is mostly dex (unfortunately) with Laito +10. So I can cut him down i just can't time it well enough. Hopefully I pass it in the next few tries.

SolidC213

Zeth said:

Also remember you don't have to kill all the enemies on the way up. Just run past them. You might get hurt once or twice but it will save you the 5-8 minutes it takes you to get there and cuts it down to like 1 minute. It took me forever at first because I was killing everything each time I would go up.

And of course when you get to the archers, don't try to shield the arrows. Just time the rolling and you should be fine.

Ken

What's a good weapon to work on upgrading right before Sen's Fortress? I'm a pyromancer with the minimum strength to use a Drake Sword.

scy

dralla said:

Not all weapons get to B or A scaling (off-hand, the only A Occult Melee weapon is the Demon's Great Axe). The Morning Star will not hit B, unfortunately. My personal weapon of choice thus far is a Claymore; decently low STR/DEX requirement at 16/10, B scaling (182/192 on the Phys/Magic at +5), and has a nice moveset with the horizontal R1/thrust R2 when one-handed.

That said, not all the scaling letters are directly equal. I think the Halberd actually outclasses a few of the B-scalers despite being a C, for instance, just due to the base stats of it. Though, it's barely an upgrade vs Divine (+2 in the end).

As for the B Scaling Occults, it should be:
Dagger, Parrying Dagger, Bandit's Knife, Scimitar, Falchion, Club, Large Club, Shortsword, Longsword, Claymore, Bastard Sword, Painting Guardian Sword, Murakumo, Great Scythe, Caestus, Claw. Probably a few more I forget (Balder, Sunlight, and Darksword I think; I don't have them myself so not sure).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dresden said:
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Priscilla's+Dagger
Wouldn't be as much of a critical monster as my lightning knife, but down the road if/when I'm deep in NG+ and have the points to put into DEX.

Dorrin

Dorrin said:
My sorc is at Lvl22 and ready to face the Capra Demon.
Vit 10
End 10,
Int 26 ish.
Equipment is Rapier + 2, Heater Shield, Wolf Ring, Elite Knight helm, rest leather armor. The bandits and the dogs getting here gave me some troubles, first time I felt my sorc wobble as a character, they were just very fast for a caster.

How bad is this going to be?

It was bad. I suppose its a little lame replying to my own post but I thought I'd share how I got past this incase another sorcerer comes along and reads this. This fight so far is the hardest thing I've faced, was damn hard for me, I died many many times over the course of about an hour. The biggest problem was the dogs and my lack of a physical attack that could one shot them, my rapier is fine to poke at most enemies here and there but my spells are were its at. If I had to do it over again I'd think about forgoing attunement early and stay with just 4 slots, putting those points into str to wield the drake sword.

My final strategy involved switching all armor to elite knight armor, I was just under the 75% threshold with 10 endurance. I then casted magic shield on myself and went in, ran to the right for a second then hard back to the left rather then circling behind him. He hit me with his hardest attack but Magic Shield allowed me to catch the blow at the cost of all endurance. Still running I ran up stairs and back into the corner without taking damage. Now I had the dogs, I targeted and got off one soul arrow but I think it went over his head but luckily caught the second dog. By the time I had taken some damage and Capra had hit me then fell off. I switched to the Rapier and just barely took the dog out in three regular hits, healed up just in time for another Capra hit, healed again then started to attack him from spot in top corner. Finally got him, yelled out loud and then had to go tell my wife heh.

LogicStep

FINALBOSS said:
I LOVE the look of the Shotel.

Looks so awesome.
Man that looks unique! What's your playstyle like? I can't imagine how it would be to play with no shield.

This is what my guy looks like
u1PgA.jpg

Nothing special. Once I saw the dark set I had to have it :p.

Totalriot

Okay, I am a little bit pissed. Finally I managed to beat (easy) and cut the tail of
Seath but I diddn't get the sword?!
What's going on?!

Hesemonni

Banned
Made decent progress today.
Queelag and Iron golem
bit the dust. After a couple of sorry tries I figured I'd try summoning and with it the bosses were even too easy.

I just feel sorry for those unfortunate souls eventually being lttp and maybe being forced to solo some of the tougher bosses...

2AdEPT

Zeth said:
Wow! Thanks for all the replies about the AL archers! My character is mostly dex (unfortunately) with Laito +10. So I can cut him down i just can't time it well enough. Hopefully I pass it in the next few tries.

I haven't got there yet, but early on I thoughtthe force miracle write up in Firelink said it protects against arrows....not sure itf that was correct but somenonesiad they tried it and it knocked the archer off the ledge...elementary miracle......worth a shot.

Ken said:
What's a good weapon to work on upgrading right before Sen's Fortress? I'm a pyromancer with the minimum strength to use a Drake Sword.

Getting a fire\lightning\magic weapon ready would be wise. You can actually find a lightning spear inside sens that will work well too.

Hawkian said:
Wouldn't be as much of a critical monster as my lightning knife, but down the road if/when I'm deep in NG+ and have the points to put into DEX.

I took half her health off in my first few hits in my first game but the tail didn't fall off :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom