• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
QisTopTier said:
Because people like to stand still and hold their shield up when they fight and think they are safe.
These people should play more fighting games!

Speevy

Banned
So, for people who have basically experienced the bulk of what this game has to offer, from single to multiplayer and the major weapons/builds in between...

Would you say this is a well designed game? Like, do its various systems combine for a solid package, or is it a big mess?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
scy said:
You can't block their grab, though it's telegraphed.
Hence, why I said "easy to dodge when they fly" because they always seem to fly before grabbing you :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yoshichan said:
Hence, why I said "easy to dodge when they fly" because they always seem to fly before grabbing you :p
I think the flight part is almost 3 fucking seconds too. Takes a while for them to get off the ground, then they hover, THEN they swoop down.

Speevy

Banned
QisTopTier said:
The only annoying enemies in the game are Skelly Dogs and Skelly Wheels. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

Those wheel guys are freaking unbelievable because they cut you up faster than regular enemies.

Yoshichan

QisTopTier said:
I think the flight part is almost 3 fucking seconds too. Takes a while for them to get off the ground, then they hover, THEN they swoop down.
Yeah, not exactly God Hand/Ninja Gaiden-reflexes needed :lol

Zzoram

Speevy said:
So, for people who have basically experienced the bulk of what this game has to offer, from single to multiplayer and the major weapons/builds in between...

Would you say this is a well designed game? Like, do its various systems combine for a solid package, or is it a big mess?
So good. Great combat, spells, upgrades and the next patch is going to make upgrade weapons more balanced too.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Speevy said:
Those wheel guys are freaking unbelievable because they cut you up faster than regular enemies.
Dogs are worse. Skelly wheels are just mentioned cause fighting two at once in some instances is near impossible with out a super super well timed hit. Fighting them in a big open area is a joke though.

Guevara

QisTopTier said:
The only annoying enemies in the game are Skelly Dogs and Skelly Wheels. Everything else is pretty straight forward.
Red dogs and mosquitoes are super annoying, because they hang out either above or below my reach.

scy

QisTopTier said:

I've walked BACK into it after thinking I had already dodged the entirety of the swoop due to how long the damn thing takes.

QisTopTier said:
Dogs are worse. Skelly wheels are just mentioned cause fighting two at once in some instances is near impossible with out a super super well timed hit. Fighting them in a big open area is a joke though.

Turn corner, WHEEL. On one of my first characters, I blocked and was stuck blocking until it ate all my endurance and then killed me. It was pretty bad at the time but, looking back, fuck you skeleton.

Dresden

Man, just arrived at Quelana on my pyro, sl 21 (but it doesn't really count because it should be more like sl 40, lulz, pyro upgrades).

So many spells. I think I'm going to stop meleeing now and just upgrade attunement.

Also throwing knives are such a godsend in Blighttown.

redhot_

QisTopTier said:

Skelewheels yes, omg and ghosts.. might not be that annoying but when they dont come out of the walls.. drives me nuts!

Edit: AND... fromsoft putting giant skeletons on tiny cliffs... with huge kick attacks that send you sliding.. fell off sooooo many times.

QisTopTier said:
haha ya, at the bottom of the Catacombs, there was 2 wheels guys coming to me, I traded hits with one of them and the other kinda got a couple on me.

Skelly dog (Tomb of Giants?) not that bad if you can kill them in 3 quick slashes. They have terrible tracking,circling around them to their backside causes them to try and attack, but it has no tracking so you are still on their back.

x3r0123

QisTopTier said:
Because people like to stand still and hold their shield up when they fight and think they are safe.

they are only annoying when you don't expect them for the first time. Other than that, i burn them to death

Barrett2

At the top of Sen's Fortress, looks like the giant is up around the corner. Where is the fucking bonfire!!??? Should I try to fight this dude, or did I miss the bonfire?

x3r0123

lawblob said:
At the top of Sen's Fortress, looks like the giant is up around the corner. Where is the fucking bonfire!!??? Should I try to fight this dude, or did I miss the bonfire?

just kill the dude so that you can feel safer. You need to drop somewhere to find this bonfire

lawblob said:
Look around. There is a hidden bonfire beneath a ledge.

Pumpkins

Cloudius12 said:
haha ya, at the bottom of the Catacombs, there was 2 wheels guys coming to me, I traded hits with one of them and the other kinda got a couple on me.

Skelly dog (Tomb of Giants?) not that bad if you can kill them in 3 quick slashes. They have terrible tracking,circling around them to their backside causes them to try and attack, but it has no tracking so you are still on their back.

Man, skelly dogs are the worst. I remember when I accidentally had my lantern out instead of my shield... Took me out in 1 hit.

And to rub salt in the wound even more, I had just summoned 2 white phantoms, one of which was my friend.

frequency

lawblob said:
The bonfire in Sen's Fortress is a drop off a ledge in that area. There's usually a user message at the spot.

scy

lawblob said:

The bonfire is as soon as you reach the outside. There's a ledge off to the right you can fall off of to reach (should be a dead body near it to mark it, if not a message left by someone).

Yoshichan

Okay, I'm officially stating that the guide for this game is... INCREDIBLE (except for the low rez front page).

Barrett2

x3r0123 said:
nah, just kill the dude so that you can feel safer

Any tricks to killing him? Im' out of Estus, and sick and tired of traversing this shit. I just want to get to that damn fire.

Think im' gonna try to kill him before going back to the bonfire, I don't know if I have enough health to make it back to where it sounds like the goddamn fire is. -_-

x3r0123

lawblob said:
Any tricks to killing him? Im' out of Estus, and sick and tired of traversing this shit. I just want to get to that damn fire.

Think im' gonna try to kill him before going back to the bonfire, I don't know if I have enough health to make it back to where it sounds like the goddamn fire is. -_-

hmm you want to do it the man or pussy way?. The man way is to get behind him and melee. While the pussy way is to lure him close to the door and use range weapons

scy

lawblob said:

You can always use a Humanity to heal back up if need be.

As for the Golem, I typically just stay near it until it starts stomping. After it's done raging about, it'll kneel to rest for a good 20 seconds or so. Though, I wouldn't trust this if you're not familiar with their attack pattern (though, it's just stomping and flailing).

Dresden

Lol, so the sorcery boosting items like the billowing dragoncrest ring or the dusk crown works for pyromancy as well. Damn, I was missing out on like 50% extra damage.

Yoshichan

QisTopTier said:
DISASTERS ARE GONE AFTER THE DEFEAT OF THE GRAVE LORD SERVANT........ oh ok SO LIKE WHAT I THOUGHT THIS SHIT WAS REMOVED.
You drunk again Q?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yoshichan said:
You drunk again Q?
Nope, this actually just happened. I was farming harpies while I was waiting for invasions. I killed one and that message popped up. In the same fashion as an invasion message.

Yoshichan

mrgone said:
I have 33,000 souls! I've never been more scared in my life!
Your biggest enemy right now is ledges. Be careful!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Any tips for the
Hydra in Darkroot Basin?
I am a SL30 warrior with elite knight armor, no ranged attacks besides arrows, and his water blasts destroy me and aren't all that easy to avoid for some reason.

Do I want to find a shield that will block them or should I just try to get close enough to prompt it to attack physically?

I just beat the
Butterfly[
pretty easily so I assumed I was ready to take on the
Hydra
as well.

I don't know whether I should be using spoiler tags or not. Sorry if it's annoying.

Dresden

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Any tips for the
Hydra in Darkroot Basin?
I am a SL30 warrior with elite knight armor, no ranged attacks besides arrows, and his water blasts destroy me and aren't all that easy to avoid for some reason.

Do I want to find a shield that will block them or should I just try to get close enough to prompt it to attack physically?

I just beat the
Butterfly[
pretty easily so I assumed I was ready to take on the
Hydra
as well.

I don't know whether I should be using spoiler tags or not. Sorry if it's annoying.
Just get into the water (watch out to make sure you don't go in too deep and fall in) then keep your shield up. He stops blasting water at you and will instead try to hit you instead with all the heads, so you just block and hit and hack off each head until it dies. Simple fight.

V_Arnold

abstract alien said:
How do I cure it :^(

Buy a stone that heals you. Sold by the dude at the tunnels where you opened the door to the firelink shrine shortcut. Or the priest at the Gargoyle's/Bell location. Or use the sorcery called Remedy, if that helps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Speevy said:

yes but.

I loved demon souls and am loving this. But I think its too Boss biased. They're great fun, but I'd like maybe a tiny bit more focus on the overall areas, and combat within them. so perhaps less being able to pull out one enemy at a time, and more taking on 2 or 3 at once (with necessary improvements to the fighting to allow that). As it is, one on one combat is fantastic, reminds me of the original Prince of Persia with the need to be defensive and counter attack etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dresden said:
Just get into the water (watch out to make sure you don't go in too deep and fall in) then keep your shield up. He stops blasting water at you and will instead try to hit you instead with all the heads, so you just block and hit and hack off each head until it dies. Simple fight.

rusty ring helps with mobility too. If you have a shield that blocks 100% physical damage you should be fine.

Barrett2

I did it! Stood by the door, provoked him, kept waiting for him to fall, then i'd whack him with my sword a few times. Rinse / repeat. Time to find that bonfire without any pesky fire cannonballs!

Beats

So I started a new playthrough, and I was thinking that maybe I could
save a certain npc (crestfallen warrior )
by killing Frampt. I can't play right now so I don't know if it would work, but is it possible to hurt/kill Frampt?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Dresden said:
mrklaw said:
rusty ring helps with mobility too. If you have a shield that blocks 100% physical damage you should be fine.

Thanks.

Sounds like I had everything I needed to fight him except the balls to get close. Didn't realize I could easily block the physical attacks.

Guevara

lawblob said:
I did it! Stood by the door, provoked him, kept waiting for him to fall, then i'd whack him with my sword a few times. Rinse / repeat. Time to find that bonfire without any pesky fire cannonballs!
You are so close to the bonfire it's hilarious. Same thing happened to me at this point, but I found it in time B-)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lawblob said:

What. It's right there. Look around for a part of the wall that is broken and you could walk off. Go back from the boss door/staircase to the giant.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Thanks.

Sounds like I had everything I needed to fight him except the balls to get close. Didn't realize I could easily block the physical attacks.
The biggest danger in that fight by far is the fall. Once you have the correct distance it'll only do the chomp attack and then it's a very simple affair.

waaa double post sorrytime.

Dresden

Guevara said:
You are so close to the bonfire it's hilarious. Same thing happened to me at this point, but I found it in time B-)
Messages saved me here the first time, at first I thought it was one of those 'try jumping' messages but it was real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom