• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

Ken said:
What's a good weapon to work on upgrading right before Sen's Fortress? I'm a pyromancer with the minimum strength to use a Drake Sword.
if you raised the door to sens you are 4 snake monsters away from a lightning spear...don't bother upgrading anything just yet until you know what you want for later in the game.....lightning spear +4 right now as I can't find any slabs but it beat SIF and is still going strong through anor londo.

SolidC213

K' Dash said:
What is the most poison resistant gear, is it the crimson one?

I like the ninja suit that (I think) you get in one of the rooms before the Capra demon. I can't remember the name of it though other than the word Shadow. That one has VERY high resistance to poison but not sure how it compares to the crimson one.

Ken

2AdEPT said:
if you raised the door to sens you are 4 snake monsters away from a lightning spear...don't bother upgrading anything just yet until you know what you want for later in the game.....lightning spear +4 right now as I can't find any slabs but it beat SIF and is still going strong through anor londo.

Ok. I guess I should also ask *Sen's spoilers*
where is the key to unlock the trapped NPC?

StMeph

Totalriot said:
Okay, I am a little bit pissed. Finally I managed to beat (easy) and cut the tail of
Seath but I diddn't get the sword?!
What's going on?!

Same thing happened to me with
Priscilla
. Cut her tail (it did the soul-sublimation thing); no item drop. Didn't think to quit/reload the game, but that might have restored it.

Now I have to kill her again if I do NG+.

K' Dash

x3r0123 said:
crimson one is for curses. Try painted assassin or gold hollowed one

SolidC213 said:
I like the ninja suit that (I think) you get in one of the rooms before the Capra demon. I can't remember the name of it though other than the word Shadow. That one has VERY high resistance to poison but not sure how it compares to the crimson one.

I need it for the Painted World, fortunately I found a painted gear last night exploring that shithole.

Thank you for the answers.

Zzoram

Ken said:
I think the sleeping snakehead guarding the wall that can be broken by boulders may have the key. If not, there is a key down the stairs from te merchant that works on the shortcut cage. You need to make a jump past the fire boulder area to reach the merchant tower.

LogicStep

StMeph said:
Same thing happened to me with
Priscilla
. Cut her tail (it did the soul-sublimation thing); no item drop. Didn't think to quit/reload the game, but that might have restored it.

Now I have to kill her again if I do NG+.
Is there a trophy for not killing her?

scy

Ken said:

When you get out to
the top of Sen's (i.e., the area with the bomb throwing Golem), look for the tower separated by the small gap. It should be before the tower with the locked cage shortcut and right after the drop for the bonfire. Do a running jump across and you'll find a vendor and the Key at the base of the tower.

def sim

K.Sabot said:
tumblr_lt56ndjUdF1qk27dho1_400.jpg

:lol

Gravelords suck

Death with a giant mink coat is the awesomest fake deity.

K' Dash said:
What is the most poison resistant gear, is it the crimson one?

Shadow gear is the earliest set you can get near Blighttown with high poison resist but surprisingly the Wanderer gear you find near the second bonfire has much higher poison resist. The upside to using the Shadow gear is that you move really fast. This combined with the Old Rusty Ring which I backtracked to go get made this entire area MUCH easier.

teebs33

Neo Member
I'm a pyro and on my way through
depths I didn't realize that killing Laurentius was going to be so problematic. I didn't mean to engage him but was foolishly breaking the barrels with my sword.

Am I screwed for advancing my class?

StMeph

zazrx said:

No. Actually, she's necessary for two trophies: killing her nets one, and she's needed for two items as part of the item collection trophy (tail dagger + soul weapon). But in terms of available bosses,
Priscilla
might be the only character that you have no reason to kill; she's totally innocent.

Edit: splng

scy

zazrx said:

Nope. You can return as often as you want anyway so it'd be hard to track it until the ending.

Also of note, there's an
NPC Black Phantom
there that cannot be spawned once you kill the area boss. Just a heads up, I guess.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Totalriot said:
Okay, I am a little bit pissed. Finally I managed to beat (easy) and cut the tail of
Seath but I diddn't get the sword?!
What's going on?!

That one doesn't work like the others, where the tail vanishes and leaves the item behind. You need to
go up to the severed tail tip and line yourself up with the bloody stump to get the prompt to take the sword. The damn thing bounces all over the place, and someone in the last thread apparently had the Havok-induced physics madness bounce it clean out of the world geometry and render the sword unobtainable.

It's easily the most annoying tail weapon to get by a mile.

Guevara

Force is the most useless miracle ever, I was so excited to try it but anything above mob level doesn't even react. It also takes too long to cast. Very disappointing.

all im going to say this is one popular game.

3 official threads in what seems less than a month.

Ive given it a try and its too slow and RPG-ish for me, but im glad you guys are thoroughly enjoying the game.

tranciful

What's the best place to go for PvP (lvl 74 on NG if that matters)? I'm in the forest now, in human form, but nobody is invading =/

RyanDG

Guevara said:
Force is the most useless miracle ever, I was so excited to try it but anything above mob level doesn't even react. It also takes too long to cast. Very disappointing.

You can have lots of fun with it in PvP if you set it up right.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
zazrx said:
Man that looks unique! What's your playstyle like? I can't imagine how it would be to play with no shield.
I have a ton of stamina and play a lot with the cloranthy ring. I run, flip, and dodge a lot. I spend about as much time trying to score critical hits and avoiding fights altogether.

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Ive given it a try and its too slow and RPG-ish for me, but im glad you guys are thoroughly enjoying the game.
Wish I could show a video of how "slow" it is for me, hehe

KAOz

Short bus special
Goddamnit, need to farm the fucking harpies for Souvenirs of Reprisal now, since my Darkmoon Blade Stone doesn't ever want to work.

It's going to take a long-ass time, right? Even with 410 in Item Discovery. Fuuuuuurk.

Well, "only" need 9. Sigh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Infinite_Daremo said:
Some guy named Yoshi-42 or something like that just invaded me at Blightown (where the poision swamps are). I was trying to summon my friend the whole time when all of a sudden i'd noticed "Invader Yoshi-42 has been slain". Poison must have very slowly killed him lol. He must have been angry.
YEAH, WELL I HATE YOU TOO :mad:

RyanDG

KAOz said:
Goddamnit, need to farm the fucking harpies for Souvenirs of Reprisal now, since my Darkmoon Blade Stone doesn't ever want to work.

It's going to take a long-ass time, right? Even with 410 in Item Discovery. Fuuuuuurk.

Do you use the ring at all? I find I have far more success just farming for other stuff while wearing the ring to get called into sunless AL and killing people there.

KAOz

Short bus special
RyanDG said:
Do you use the ring at all? I find I have far more success just farming for other stuff while wearing the ring to get called into sunless AL and killing people there.

Yeah, had it on for countless hours. I start to believe it might be my connection. But yeah, could farm those in the time it takes me to go around, waiting to be summoned.

Also, 5 more Sunlight Medals needed. I said goddamn.

teebs33 said:
I'm a pyro and on my way through
depths I didn't realize that killing Laurentius was going to be so problematic. I didn't mean to engage him but was foolishly breaking the barrels with my sword.

Am I screwed for advancing my class?

You will have a difficult time for awhile.

There is another trainer
in the swamps of blighttown. She tends to appear when you have your glove upgraded to +10 - although I have heard reports of her appearing sooner than that. But for me, she didn't appear until I had my glove up to +10 - I made a similar mistake to you, but my character is mostly melee - I wanted Pyro for some extra fun.

Eventually, after you beat the boss of Blighttown - there another trainer behind there. I'm not sure if you need to join the Covenant or not - but do NOT kill the egg-sack man back there, is is the only other trainer.

He can modify your pyromancy flame - he only sells two spells though - Poison and Toxic mist. But once you get your flame up to +10 - another trainer should appear in the swamps of blight town, and she will have a wider selection of spells to purchase, and can continue upgrading your flame.

You are going to need to be content with your current set of Pyromancy spells for a long-while unless you re-start, as getting access to other trainers/spells wont happen for a bit yet.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kalnos said:
If it was really you then you would have thrown your controller through your keyboard and couldn't type to us right now.
:lol I guess you're right... damn, GAF's on it today!

Wimps

So GAF I'm at
Anor Londo right now, right before Ornstein and Smough. Been walking around with the Lightning Spear ever since I got it
and been trying to upgrade some of my weapons but don't really have a clue where/how to do it.

I think I understand a bit though.. Basicly, upgrade a weapon to +5 and you can upgrade it into different sections (Lightning, Fire, Magic, Divine etc). But you need to kill certain bosses and use their embers at Blacksmiths in order to be able to upgrade your weapon to Fire, Lightning etc. Oh and I'm a Sorcerer primarily so I'll be trying to upgrade my weapon to Magic, which needs to be done at the dude in
New Londo
right?

And a question for people who started out as sorc: What did you focus on later in the game, STR or DEX? My END is pretty high and so is my INT. I'm in doubt to be honest.

Yoshichan

Wimps said:
And a question for people who started out as sorc: What did you focus on later in the game, STR or DEX? My END is pretty high and so is my INT. I'm in doubt to be honest.
Went for the amount of STR and DEX that was required to equip some of the gear - so not high at all. Other than that, I went END and INT until I reached like level 70. After that, it's vitality all the way through.

Wimps said:
So GAF I'm at
Anor Londo right now, right before Ornstein and Smough. Been walking around with the Lightning Spear ever since I got it
and been trying to upgrade some of my weapons but don't really have a clue where/how to do it.

I think I understand a bit though.. Basicly, upgrade a weapon to +5 and you can upgrade it into different sections (Lightning, Fire, Magic, Divine etc). But you need to kill certain bosses and use their souls at Blacksmiths in order to be able to upgrade your weapon to Fire, Lightning etc. Oh and I'm a Sorcerer primarily so I'll be trying to upgrade my weapon to Magic, which needs to be done at the dude in
New Londo
right?

I did STR/DEX based on what I wanted to wield.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgradechart For upgrade path.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wimps said:
I think I understand a bit though.. Basicly, upgrade a weapon to +5 and you can upgrade it into different sections (Lightning, Fire, Magic, Divine etc). But you need to kill certain bosses and use their souls at Blacksmiths in order to be able to upgrade your weapon to Fire, Lightning etc. Oh and I'm a Sorcerer primarily so I'll be trying to upgrade my weapon to Magic, which needs to be done at the dude in
New Londo
right?
This is actually all wrong.

Boss souls allow you to make unique weapons, not start normal weapons down those paths.

Dresden

Wimps said:
I had like 16 strength so I could use the Eagle Shield, that was about it. Otherwise it's Int -> Attunement (up until you have five or six slots) -> End -> Vit.

You really want enough INT to at least cast Homing Crystal Soulmass. Which is like 36, IIRC; 44 is for Crystal Soul Spear; and then 50 for White Dragon Breath.

Zzoram

finalozzo said:
yes but i mean: do i find people to summon if i'm level 140-150?
are there people playing at ng+ at level 130-160?
Summons an invasions are not NG restricted. You can be in different levels of NG+ and still meet if you're within the level range.

teebs33

Neo Member
rogerroger22 said:

There is another trainer
in the swamps of blighttown. She tends to appear when you have your glove upgraded to +10 - although I have heard reports of her appearing sooner than that. But for me, she didn't appear until I had my glove up to +10 - I made a similar mistake to you, but my character is mostly melee - I wanted Pyro for some extra fun.

Eventually, after you beat the boss of Blighttown - there another trainer behind there. I'm not sure if you need to join the Covenant or not - but do NOT kill the egg-sack man back there, is is the only other trainer.

He can modify your pyromancy flame - he only sells two spells though - Poison and Toxic mist. But once you get your flame up to +10 - another trainer should appear in the swamps of blight town, and she will have a wider selection of spells to purchase, and can continue upgrading your flame.

You are going to need to be content with your current set of Pyromancy spells for a long-while unless you re-start, as getting access to other trainers/spells wont happen for a bit yet.

Thanks I'll probably just press on as I've already restarted 5 times.

I think it's just going to require me to use more physical than I was planning. Sucks being stuck with the basic spell but I'll survive.

Wimps

Hawkian said:
This is actually all wrong.

Boss souls allow you to make unique weapons, not start normal weapons down those paths.
My bad!

I meant the embers you get from killing certain bosses or just finding them.

scy

Wimps said:
I think I understand a bit though.. Basicly, upgrade a weapon to +5 and you can upgrade it into different sections (Lightning, Fire, Magic, Divine etc). But you need to kill certain bosses and use their souls at Blacksmiths in order to be able to upgrade your weapon to Fire, Lightning etc.

That's not quite correct; you use Boss souls to make Unique equipment, typically from +10 versions of weapons/shields. The elemental/Divine/Magic stuff is from Embers (or certain Blacksmiths). Other than that, pretty much correct. Upgrade to +5 and then Ascend it ("Modify Equipment" option) to access the other stuff.

Oh and I'm a Sorcerer primarily so I'll be trying to upgrade my weapon to Magic, which needs to be done at the dude in
New Londo
right?

Yeah, he's the Magic/Enchanted Blacksmith. Though, you'll need to get the Embers for Magic +6-10 and Enchanted +1-5.

Personally speaking, INT or Faith builds should ignore STR/DEX unless there's a certain weapon you want to equip that badly. I prefer a lot of the easier to equip weapony (Halberd, Claymore) so I don't find much point in >20 STR (Washing Pole) or >18 DEX (Max Range on the Phalis Bow).

x3r0123

KAOz said:

oohhhhh i remember this. These harpies are gay and drop rate for those things are low too

Insaniac

rogerroger22 said:

There is another trainer

he does miss the Iron flesh(?) pyromancy though, which I hear is very helpful

Insaniac

Wimps said:
So GAF I'm at

I think I understand a bit though.. Basicly, upgrade a weapon to +5 and you can upgrade it into different sections (Lightning, Fire, Magic, Divine etc). But you need to kill certain bosses and use their embers at Blacksmiths in order to be able to upgrade your weapon to Fire, Lightning etc. Oh and I'm a Sorcerer primarily so I'll be trying to upgrade my weapon to Magic, which needs to be done at the dude in
New Londo
right?

I'm a SL 92 Sorc. I've pretty much put everything into Int, and Vitality, with enough points in attunement for 7 slots (I'm a sorc / Pyro so I rely only on spells) Str and Dex are pretty much useless except to use the shield you want.

Yoshichan

I just now remembered the harpy-hate... how come? Free backstabs, easy to dodge when they fly and all their moves are blockable to 100%.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yoshichan said:
I just now remembered the harpy-hate... how come? Free backstabs, easy to dodge when they fly and all their moves are blockable to 100%.
Because people like to stand still and hold their shield up when they fight and think they are safe.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Made it past the infamous Anor Londo archers on my first try. the four big dudes you have to get through from the first bonfire to the boss fog are rather feisty though. ;-/ I ran past them when trying for the boss a few times but I wonder if I can summon the sun praiser for that fight and I think I probably have to clear the room so I can wait for his summon to come through before I enter the fog.

scy

Yoshichan said:

You can't block their grab, though it's telegraphed. They're only annoying in swarms, personally, and that applies to basically anything with a grab. As far as
Painted World
is concerned, fuck those rolling skeletons. I always screw up a block or turn wrong at some point like an idiot.

Zzoram

I'm SL101

30 Vit
40 End
28 Att
10 STR
12 Dex
8 Res
44 Int
8 Fat

Fire Short Bow +5 (planning to +10 for trophy)
Enchanted Bandit's Knife +2 (planning to +5 for trophy)
Chaos Rapier +3 (planning +5 for trophy)
Lightning Estoc +3 (planning +5 for trophy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom