• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
A dude in New Londo has invaded me twice now only to immediately leave. I wonder if he's trying to invade somebody specific or if he's heard rumors of my terrifying Deadly Vase Technique and is afraid to face it head on.

x3r0123

lawblob said:
I did it! Stood by the door, provoked him, kept waiting for him to fall, then i'd whack him with my sword a few times. Rinse / repeat. Time to find that bonfire without any pesky fire cannonballs!

kill off that archer and explore the area where the isolated treasure is

V_Arnold said:
Buy a stone that heals you. Sold by the dude at the tunnels where you opened the door to the firelink shrine shortcut. Or the priest at the Gargoyle's/Bell location. Or use the sorcery called Remedy, if that helps.
Shit, I'm not sure if I can make it back to the church without dying. Where was the firelink shrine at again? Can't remember if I've been there yet.

anyone rolling with a greataxe+15? Its got a 'C' rating on strength and 350dmg. Might be decent substitution if you didn't get the black knight greataxe drop (you lucky bastard).

Akkad

Banned
abstract alien said:
Shit, I'm not sure if I can make it back to the church without dying. Where was the firelink shrine at again? Can't remember if I've been there yet.

The crow dropped you at the Firelink Shrine, that's where you started.

Barrett2

BOOM! Found the bonfire, rested-up, and just beat the shit outta Iron Golem with my unstoppable Combustion.

michael-jackson-moonwalk.gif

I got a "boss soul" item that said "use to gain souls or create a unique weapon." Unique weapon? Sounds great! So I used it, and just got souls. Lame. Now I have a second soul from a different boss I killed. What am I actually supposed to do with it? Something to do with the Blacksmith, I assume.

Also, how do you invade another world? I have a few of those stones that are supposedly for that, but "use item" is always grayed out, even when I'm human. Do you have to use them in a certain spot or something?

I didn't have any frame rate problems in Blighttown. Camera problems yes, but not frame rate. Also had trouble finding some of those damn nearly invisible ladders.

Varna

wastedyears said:
I didn't have any frame rate problems in Blighttown. Camera problems yes, but not frame rate. Also had trouble finding some of those damn nearly invisible ladders.

No. You don't have some magical copy of the game that doesn't drop into the single digits in certain sections.

Beats

Parallax Scroll said:
I got a "boss soul" item that said "use to gain souls or create a unique weapon." Unique weapon? Sounds great! So I used it, and just got souls. Lame. Now I have a second soul from a different boss I killed. What am I actually supposed to do with it? Something to do with the Blacksmith, I assume.

Well you have to upgrade a specific type of equipment (spear/sword/shield/etc) to +10, and then you can possibly make a unique item with a boss soul (depends which one you have). The result, and weapon type required varies with each boss soul.

wastedyears said:

What entrance did you use? Coming from the depths is much worse.

d0c_zaius

QisTopTier said:
The only annoying enemies in the game are Skelly Dogs and Skelly Wheels. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

I seem to be having serious problems with the skeleton beats and the wtfs in Lost Izalith.

The wheels and dogs I have no problems with though.

DMPrince said:
oh. that's just a slip that teaches about different knots and its effectiveness.

And its taken on a bed... eh, eh you sly dog you.

What is the best weapon to try for when first starting out in the game?

GeekyDad

scy said:
You'll unlock it after getting the
Lordvessel from Anor Lando
. You can warp from any bonfire but only to a few specific ones, though they're all placed relatively well in my opinion.

Ah, thanks. Good to hear.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Say, where do I get Soul Arrow and the item to cast it with?

I'm up to the gargoyals and I haven't found a wizard or nada yet.

Smack Fu

Platted this mofo!!!
Took near 3 playthroughs and some of the stuff was a pain to farm.
1st run I went in blind and I missed A LOT!! 2nd run I used the guide to get most of the stuff and 3rd I farmed hard to get weapons and items

noobfu

(yes, that is also 3 plats of Demon's Souls)

Hardest item to farm:
Souvenir of Reprisal from those Harpies in Painted World, most of spent 5 hours getting them at 34 humanity and Ring.
The guide says you need to get
Ghost Blade and Titanite Catch Pole
for the Trophy/Achievement, but I did not have them. So for you guys looking for it, you can skip those 2.
Game of the Forever! Loved it, and will 100% it on the 360 next year most likely.

Is there an easier way to get the Eyes of Death for the Gravelord covenant than farming the curse frogs? I killed a bunch of them with the serpent's ring equipped while going after the crystal lizards in the Hollow and down in Ash Lake but I only got 3 Death Eyes.

Dreaver

At Lost Izalith, where the hell am I supposed to go in the beginning? There are a shitload of lava dino's who do loads of damage. Where do I have to go? Annoying as fuck.

I can't really seem to own that easily, and they do loads of damage and there are LOTS.

vilmer_

Wow, so even if I'm level 50 in first playthrough, when I invade I can get someone fully geared out at level 50 in a NG+ oh shit...

Zzoram

Parallax Scroll said:

Also, how do you invade another world? I have a few of those stones that are supposedly for that, but "use item" is always grayed out, even when I'm human. Do you have to use them in a certain spot or something?
Different blacksmiths handle different upgrades. The one in Anor Lando is the one that makes boss weapons out of the souls if you have the appropriate +10 base weapon.

Brannon

So I'm in the area after Anor Londo, and I found
Logan
after the event in the crystal area, but in that room are some enemies that drop humanity, and two of them don't seem to want to attack me at all, and I think I hear them crying. What's up with that?

They also have higher than normal HP...

Also they're not affected by the device there...

Dreaver said:
At Lost Izalith, where the hell am I supposed to go in the beginning? There are a shitload of lava dino's who do loads of damage. Where do I have to go? Annoying as fuck.

I can't really seem to own that easily, and they do loads of damage and there are LOTS.
People have said this was the worst place in the game, mainly it just a lot lava field with dinos. If you had a map this place is not bad.

The dino can be dealt with a strong weapon if you have Iron Flesh (which makes thing much much easier).

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
vilmer_ said:
Wow, so even if I'm level 50 in first playthrough, when I invade I can get someone fully geared out at level 50 in a NG+ oh shit...

Yes. If you're suppressing your level to invade people, keep in mind that there are people who kit themselves out in PvP gear and suppress their level and then bait people into invading them.

The really devious ones will be standing near the spawn point with the menu open to the Quit Game option so as soon as it gets greyed out they know someone is invading them even before your game has finished loading, and they take you to school as soon as you spawn.

mujun

Started again (third time) after deleting my level 75 pyro in disgust (Nito). Intended to sell the game off but couldn't do it.

Found a really good way to start the game if you want to be strong off the bat. Make a cleric, take master key, run straight to Valley of Drakes and grab the shield, soul and sword of Astaros. Then pick up loot souls around Firelink and buy soul arrow + wand from New Londo merchant. Finally level up a couple of int, attunement and dex and you are ready to go, a sorcerer with a sword almost as good as the Drake, 30 soul arrows, a 100% shield, etc. Takes like 30 minutes.

Beats

John Harker said:
Say, where do I get Soul Arrow and the item to cast it with?

I'm up to the gargoyals and I haven't found a wizard or nada yet.

Go down to Firelink Shrine. There should be a set of stairs that lead to an elevator (I think it's to the left of where the warrior is sitting). Once you get into the new area head down the stairs, and look around on the right till you see a broken set of stairs. The wizard/blacksmith will be down there on the left.

Varna said:
No. You don't have some magical copy of the game that doesn't drop into the single digits in certain sections.

I have a magical copy that has developed a framerate problem in an area where it didn't used to have one. Very odd. It's a tiny spot - the top of the ladder above the rats in Undead Plaza (ha ha, can't recall the real name). I go back there from time to time because those rats love to drop humanity. These days, the framerate drops sometimes all the way down to 2-3 FPS, no kidding. It didn't used to hitch at all. I don't know what's changed aside from my outfit/weapons.

All right I cleared L
ost Izalith
today, wasn't too bad a zone if you
don't come in normally but instead take the shortcut and cheese the enemies from above

Only one left is the T
omb of Giants
, and man that place is scary even with lights on ;_;

Finalow

Zzoram said:
Summons an invasions are not NG restricted. You can be in different levels of NG+ and still meet if you're within the level range.
that's not what i'm asking.

i'm asking if i can find people to summon within that level range. (130-160) Do you guys know about this?
i don't want to be at that level and then i can't find anyone to summon 'cause i'm overlevelled.

GJS

Brannon said:
So I'm in the area after Anor Londo, and I found
Logan
after the event in the crystal area, but in that room are some enemies that drop humanity, and two of them don't seem to want to attack me at all, and I think I hear them crying. What's up with that?

They also have higher than normal HP...

Also they're not affected by the device there...
They are Seath's experiments, probably maidens like Rhea of Thoruland who were kidnapped seeing as they drop two miracles

Finalow

the weight of the Black Knight Greataxe is 16, it seems a great weapon but geez, 16.
is there a great weapon that doesn't have a huge weight?

GJS

finalozzo said:
the weight of the Black Knight Greataxe is 16, it seems a great weapon but geez, 16.
Don't you think that would be kind of unbalanced.

K' Dash

Wich ones of the Bosses Souls are worth saving for weapons?, I'm not going to the catacombs until I really have to, so I'd prefer to use the souls to level up.

vilmer_

ixix said:
Yes. If you're suppressing your level to invade people, keep in mind that there are people who kit themselves out in PvP gear and suppress their level and then bait people into invading them.

The really devious ones will be standing near the spawn point with the menu open to the Quit Game option so as soon as it gets greyed out they know someone is invading them even before your game has finished loading, and they take you to school as soon as you spawn.

Oh gawd... My whole plan is foiled!! :p I did manage to get in an invasion where I genuinely surprised the hell out of the people - they were just about to enter the fog gate for the Bell Gargoyles and froze in their tracks and stood there like wtf. I went down the ladder near the spawn and they ran past and into the gate. I was then returned to my world. This should be very interesting indeed.

Edit - So does this mean that, say I'm SL20 in NG+... There is a chance I can invade someone in their first playthrough in that range? That is devastating if that's the case, for the invadee that is.

Leondexter said:
I have a magical copy that has developed a framerate problem in an area where it didn't used to have one. Very odd. It's a tiny spot - the top of the ladder above the rats in Undead Plaza (ha ha, can't recall the real name). I go back there from time to time because those rats love to drop humanity. These days, the framerate drops sometimes all the way down to 2-3 FPS, no kidding. It didn't used to hitch at all. I don't know what's changed aside from my outfit/weapons.
That's the only place I've had trouble so far, and yeah, it's really bad. no, wait, I also had an issue near the butchers in the depths.

Yo Gotti

Banned
finalozzo said:

And it's worth every pound.

Best weapon I've found yet.

Finalow

GJS said:
Don't you think that would be kind of unbalanced.
well not so great as the BK greataxe but still better than the sword of quelaag and the lighting spear.

is there, maybe, a good weapone that scales with faith?

Woooooo just solo'd the bigass dragon in The Depths (Sorc) and got his Axe. Anyone miss out on this thing and wanna trade me for a good Sorc armor set?

oracrest

K' Dash said:
Wich ones of the Bosses Souls are worth saving for weapons?, I'm not going to the catacombs until I really have to, so I'd prefer to use the souls to level up.

As a general rule, you never really want to use boss souls for just souls. Find some XP rich enemies and farm a bit instead.

Dreaver

Cloudius12 said:
People have said this was the worst place in the game, mainly it just a lot lava field with dinos. If you had a map this place is not bad.

The dino can be dealt with a strong weapon if you have Iron Flesh (which makes thing much much easier).
I have Iron Flesh (in fact, it made a lot boss fights very easy). I might try that tomorrow. I saw somewhere they do not respawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom