• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallachia

oracrest said:
As a general rule, you never really want to use boss souls for just souls. Find some XP rich enemies and farm a bit instead.

So oracrest, how are you feeling about the game?? Are you deep in? Played online much?

K' Dash

oracrest said:
As a general rule, you never really want to use boss souls for just souls. Find some XP rich enemies and farm a bit instead.

hmm, ok, it's not like I REALLY need to use them, I'm not going to meet the Blacksmith who can make the weapons until very late in the game...

Thank you.

Kahoona said:
Anyone have any tips for beating Executioner Smough first?

Watched my roommate do that this morning solo - took him a few dozen tries and a near rage-quit of the game when he decided to go human, summon a NPC help - only to get invaded by a glitcher. But, I digress.

His build is sort of a melee/dex build with a heavy dose of Pyromancy.

* Bait out fatties slower attacks - use the openings on recovery to get in fire ball
* He used Power Within - seemed risky as thats a constant drain on HP in an already tight fight, but it made his attacks do some massive damage
* Keep your eye on the dragon slayer - try and keep fatty in between you and him - easier to anticipate his attacks when you can see both of them at the same time. Most of the times when he died - is when he failed to do this and would get killed from behind/on the side
* Once fatty was dead - he kept his distance from the dragon slayer and busted out the crystal ring shield for a few hits, then closed in for the kill with melee - a few of his attacks have a long recovery time leaving an opening for flinging the shield.

Most of his combat was done ranged - only went to melee when he started to run out of spells

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
rogerroger22 said:
Watched my roommate do that this morning solo - took him a few dozen tries and a near rage-quit of the game when he decided to go human, summon a NPC help - only to get invaded by a glitcher. But, I digress.

* Bait out fatties slower attacks - use the openings on recovery to get in fire ball
* He used Power Within - seemed risky as thats a constant drain on HP in an already tight fight, but it made his attacks do some massive damage
* Keep your eye on the dragon slayer - try and keep fatty in between you and him - easier to anticipate his attacks when you can see both of them at the same time. Most of the times when he died - is when he failed to do this and would get killed from behind/on the side
* Once fatty was dead - he kept his distance from the dragon slayer and busted out the crystal ring shield for a few hits, then closed in for the kill with melee - a few of his attacks have a long recovery time leaving an opening for flinging the shield.

Most of his combat was done ranged - only went to melee when he started to run out of spells

Lol... this fight is so different for everyone, I love it

Wallachia

rogerroger22 said:

Imminent Fatty

Ok, so how do I cut off a boss's tail? In particular,
Seath's or Priscilla's.

I could stomp him into the floor without mercy, but I want to get his tail so I don't have to worry about it later -- getting behind him is a problem, he turns with me even if he's not sure where I am... and I've done something like half of his life bar worth of damage to mainly his tail with the crystal moonlight shield and nothing... do I have to attack the tip more or something? I've been attacking the base near where it attaches to him...

Dreaver said:
I have Iron Flesh (in fact, it made a lot boss fights very easy). I might try that tomorrow. I saw somewhere they do not respawn?

They don't respawn - handy once you make it to the bonfire in the fields and want to recharge on spells/etc.

There are a few spots where you can run them to where they will get stuck betweeen buildings letting you pick them off with ranged attacks a little easier.

Once you clear your way to the huts in the lava field - you can lure them to the entrance, they can't hit you inside of there. Get more than one on you and they will damage/kill eachother - got rid of a few that way.

I'm not hating this zone - just think it's really lazy level design, especially after some of the other areas in the game were so damn good.

When I mentally picture an end-game epic-lava zone that is home to demon's - this isn't up to par

Hawkian said:
Lol... this fight is so different for everyone, I love it

My solution was

* Try 3 times - die near instantly
* Summon two phantoms, spam crystal ring shield - enemies die near instantly that time

Wish I had paid more attention to the whole 'kill X first to get Y items' though - as I ended up killing fatty last - but I'd rather get the other guys items/soul. Ahwell - there is always NG+

x3r0123

my first time, i died because i was learning their patterns
then i melee them like a man
now, i'm just too lazy so i burn them to death

corrosivefrost said:
Ok, so how do I cut off a boss's tail? In particular,
Seath's or Priscilla's.

I could stomp him into the floor without mercy, but I want to get his tail so I don't have to worry about it later -- getting behind him is a problem, he turns with me even if he's not sure where I am... and I've done something like half of his life bar worth of damage to mainly his tail with the crystal moonlight shield and nothing... do I have to attack the tip more or something? I've been attacking the base near where it attaches to him...

I saw this as a tip somewhere, but, get in between Seath and his invincibility rod and wait for a little while (a few seconds). While he's charging up to attack where you were, race to his backside, and he'll be stunned (from hitting the rod) for a few seconds so attack it then.

Just killed the Iron Golem. Twas a little harder than pew pewing from distance, but it only took me a few tries. I'm probably gonna try upgrading my Scimitar+10 before I get much farther in Annor Londo (just got owned by the arrow dudes).

Beats said:
Go down to Firelink Shrine. There should be a set of stairs that lead to an elevator (I think it's to the left of where the warrior is sitting). Once you get into the new area head down the stairs, and look around on the right till you see a broken set of stairs. The wizard/blacksmith will be down there on the left.

First thing I did on my new game was get Heavy Soul and Catalyst for 4500 souls.

I'm at level 40 in 10 hours, versus level 42 in nearly 60 hours on my first play through.

Finalow

really guys, does anyone here play in co-op at level 120 or so?

x3r0123 said:
my first time, i died because i was learning their patterns
then i melee them like a man
now, i'm just too lazy so i burn them to death
if i can ask, did you play in co-op at that level?
i'm insisting 'cause i would like to finish this game only with co-op.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Beats said:
Go down to Firelink Shrine. There should be a set of stairs that lead to an elevator (I think it's to the left of where the warrior is sitting). Once you get into the new area head down the stairs, and look around on the right till you see a broken set of stairs. The wizard/blacksmitill be down there on the left.

Can't believe I'm 10 hours in and missed this guy! Thank you.

So, I also just got the Sunlight Medal. Do I want to drop this or hang on to it?
I don't trust that creep, so whats the best thing to do

Kalnos

Banned
finalozzo said:
really guys, does anyone here play in co-op at level 120 or so?

You're on your first playthrough? If so, you're terribly over-leveled. Anor Londo is like a level 50-60 area at that point.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
d0c_zaius said:
I seem to be having serious problems with the skeleton beats and the wtfs in Lost Izalith.

The wheels and dogs I have no problems with though.
What the hell is a skelly beats? A veggie?

Zimbardo

Rabbitwork said:
really wish i had killed orenstein last, his helmet was sweet. smough's armor is really nice (but heavy) but it looks RIDICULOUS.

yep ....great armor/stats, but it looks fucking terrible.

There is a piece of loot behind an archer between the two bonfires in Tomb of the Giants that seems impossible to get to. Is it anything good, and how do I get there?

xero273

Kalnos said:
You're on your first playthrough? If so, you're terribly over-leveled. Anor Londo is like a level 50-60 area at that point.

it's his first play but he's on ng+ because of a glitch. glitch was some guy in ng+ invading you and making your game ng+

Zimbardo

is there any word on when that balancing update patch is supposed to come out?

i'm looking forward to it in hopes that they'll increase the output damage of my Dexterity built character.

Finalow

Kalnos said:
it doesn't matter, i can play with people that are at ng+ or ng++, but i don't know if i'm too overlevelled for them too.

prodystopian said:
There is a piece of loot behind an archer between the two bonfires in Tomb of the Giants that seems impossible to get to. Is it anything good, and how do I get there?
if it is what I think you are talking about, I don't think the actual platform you land on can be seen until you land on it.

I don't have the map on me at the moment, so I will try my best to explain.

When you come across 2-3 Skeleton 4 legged beast with the archer you can reach. This area has a path going downward after killing those guys. Approximately to the right of where the archer was, you have to drop off the ledge (again, it is not easily visible if there was any visibility), and you should land a a path leading to the item.

Again, this is on the top of my head. I could be wrong, but I remember something.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
vilmer_ said:
Oh gawd... My whole plan is foiled!! :p I did manage to get in an invasion where I genuinely surprised the hell out of the people - they were just about to enter the fog gate for the Bell Gargoyles and froze in their tracks and stood there like wtf. I went down the ladder near the spawn and they ran past and into the gate. I was then returned to my world. This should be very interesting indeed.

Edit - So does this mean that, say I'm SL20 in NG+... There is a chance I can invade someone in their first playthrough in that range? That is devastating if that's the case, for the invadee that is.

Yes, that works. Honestly, though, there are way more min-maxed invaders than there are dedicated invader-farmers. I get the feeling there aren't too terribly many people like me who stand at invader spawns and greet them with Stone Greatsword R2 attacks and Soulmasses for hours on end.

You can consider getting instantly ganked on occasion to just be a hazard of the job.

MechaX

Oh wow.. To those two Black Phantoms that I killed with the Fog Ring in the forest, I am so sorry.

It was against my better judgment to even set foot into that forest while human, but I did so anyway. As soon as I got through the gate, I get the typical "PLAYER HAS INVADED". So I'm fighting him normally, until I got blindsided by some invisible dude. I thought it was a Darkmoon guy being sneaky with the fog ring, since double invasions can certainly happen and Darkmoon invaders don't give notice of invasions. So I said "fuck it", put on the fog ring and riposte'd the guy.

Unfortunately, the guy who hit me was actually one of the AI knights and before I could take the ring off, another BP spawns right next to me and I kill him with a few backstabs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
xero273 said:
no, they can get invaded. i got invaded when i was in that covenant
Oh really? I thought the description implied that it was easier to get co-op and harder to be invaded... I guess there's still a chance?

Finalow

xero273 said:
it's his first play but he's on ng+ because of a glitch. glitch was some guy in ng+ invading you and making your game ng+
yep, first play but with the difficulty of an ng+, pretty sad.

So...
Anor Londo
turns out to be a piece of shit. I mean
how many times can I do the same thing over and over to get killed by the fucking archers as soon as I get to the top of where the archer is?

This shit is just ridiculous,
because I don't use arrows I have to suffer? I go up top wait at the walkway block the bow, advance, and the pussy doesnt pull out his sword as I advance he shoots another fucking shot that proceeds to knock me off the narrow walkway. NARROW WALKWAYS ARE LAME! Even Blighttown was better than this shit. I'm so in the mood to break this game in half right now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
StunandStab said:
I wish boss fights actually lasted as long as some of these tracks for them are... listening to the soundtrack right now. It's a shame
Did you know pinwheels theme is 2 1/2 minutes long. Me neither, I thought it was 6 seconds.

x3r0123

finalozzo said:

no i didnt because the challenge is better that way. If people do coop then it makes the game too easy

Infernodash said:
So...
Anor Londo
how many times can I do the same thing over and over to get killed by the fucking archers as soon as I get to the top of where the archer is?

because I don't use arrows I have to suffer? I go up top wait at the walkway block the bow, advance, and the pussy doesnt pull out his sword as I advance he shoots another fucking shot that proceeds to knock me off the narrow walkway. NARROW WALKWAYS ARE LAME! Even Blighttown was better than this shit. I'm so in the mood to break this game in half right now.
possibly the only downside to this great place. The thing you need to make sure of, is that you approach him to try make him take his sword out, that he is not already attempting to shoot one already.

Macattk15

NG+ feels too easy with my 50 STR 40 END tank character. I've stomped my way through every boss (died once when I didn't block Quelaag's fire nova thing cause I was cocky and it 1 shot me for 1200 hp ... ) and I'm back down to Nito already.

Infernodash said:
So...
Anor Londo

Get up to the ledge and just roll through the arrows. They won't hit you and you'll get closer!

Owzers

I'm still progressing........undead parish + Anor Lando were the highlights for me so far, just killed Nito and am done with Tomb of Giants. This is a really uneven game, i'm not quite sure what the people who love it see in it, i mean, i see greatness in parts but as a whole i really feel like i'm "trudging" through the game instead of enjoying the experience, and that comes with my distaste for open world games. Sure you get the ability to warp to select places, but when i got the item i thought it was going to be to any bonfire, not just 4 or so. It's still a pain in the butt to get back to places, places that weren't fun in the first place like Blight town. Or if i want to help someone kill Nito, i have to trudge all the way back since you couldn't backtrack after beating Nito.

Or the fact that i've NEVER been able to summon/be summoned by my friend who has this game, not one darn time.

Cloudius12 said:
possibly the only downside to this great place. The thing you need to make sure of, is that you approach him to try make him take his sword out, that he is not already attempting to shoot one already.

Sad thing is, I knocked him off with my lightening spear once he pulled out the sword but I fell too because of how narrow it is. I'm frustrated. I made short work of
Priscilla
but I've been doing this same part for about an hour now.

Macattk15 said:
NG+ feels too easy with my 50 STR 40 END tank character. I've stomped my way through every boss (died once when I didn't block Quelaag's fire nova thing cause I was cocky and it 1 shot me for 1200 hp ... ) and I'm back down to Nito already.

Get up to the ledge and just roll through the arrows. They won't hit you and you'll get closer!

I'm afraid to roll off the walkway. I get so paranoid once I go through the ten minute process of beating everything to even get to the walkway.

RyanDG

So just finished my second playthrough. Was putting off the ending but felt I just needed to get it done so I can go ahead and start either a New Game+ or play through as a different style. I may wait to move onto New Game+ to see what they do about stat based weapons as I currently have about 45 points of dex on this character...

Infernodash said:
Sad thing is, I knocked him off with my lightening spear once he pulled out the sword but I fell too because of how narrow it is. I'm frustrated. I made short work of
Priscilla
but I've been doing this same part for about an hour now.
The best thing to do is avoid trying to fight him at all cost once he takes out his sword, run back the way you came and avoid the 2nd archer. It works out well for you.

Cloudius12 said:
The best thing to do is avoid trying to fight him at all cost once he takes out his sword, run back the way you came and avoid the 2nd archer. It works out well for you.

Okay, I'm gonna go try again. Be back to let you all know if I passed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom