• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

Hey, for those who have a Book of Guilty on hand, for that person who I think is first or second (the cleric), what in the world is that headset she has on? I kind of want it.

SolidC213

Not that I am close to finishing the game but would it be a good idea to go out and kill all NPC/Merchants in the game before I finish it to get their armor and stuff? Do any deaths or "sins" carry over to NG+?

Brannon said:
Any thing up with those two passive mind-flayer thingies in the Archives near L
ogan
?
Back Story Spoiler - What I remember reading:
The 2 passive ones drops 2 miracles spell that belongs to Princess Covenant. All those "mind flayers" are maidens that were experimented on by Seath (kidnapped), those 2 maidens were crying in the corner regarding the other maidens being experimented on. Rhea (an NPC in the game which you mean) got captured by Seath's buddies (I don't know who or what did it) and appears Hollow in the Duke's Archive later in the game

Not 100% certain that how it is, but it is what it is.

Any other tips on Seath's tail? It's driving me nuts. :(

Edit: Got it. I warned his fuckin' ass. I did. "When your tail comes off, the gloves come off, bitch." When I saw his tail drop, I switched to pyro glove (strong) +5 and told him about my 1000 damage great fireball special. :lol

corrosivefrost said:
Any other tips on Seath's tail? It's driving me nuts. :(

Break the crystal while he is facing away from you, immediately after you break the crystal he will remain still for a short while, use this opportunity to run up to his tail do as much damage to his tail as possible. Not sure if anyone else gave you that tip... but it's what helped me the most

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't believe how detailed the guide is... playing through the game again and this time using the guide for everything. Perfection

DeadFalling said:
How do you get the armor from
Ornstein and Smough (sp) I beat the game and never got either of the sets?
You need to buy it from the merchant that appeared in the Depths after you beat them. But I think he relocates to Firelink under the bridge to the Undead Burg or something.

linko9

DeadFalling said:
How do you get the armor from
Ornstein and Smough (sp) I beat the game and never got either of the sets?

You buy them from Domnhall, he's under the aqueduct in Firelink. You can only buy the set of the one you beat second, so make sure to beat the other one second in NG+

Finalow

MechaX said:
Do you at least get NG+ amounts of souls for killing enemies?
yes, at least that.

ok right now i'm using the Black Knight Greataxe, with 36 of STR, does it scale well with STR? Should i upgrade the STR?

then i don't have the twinkling titanite, at the ash lake there is the second hydra and i don't know how to reach the crystal cave after seath's death, so i'm kinda stuck.

linko9 said:
You buy them from Domnhall, he's under the aqueduct in Firelink. You can only buy the set of the one you beat second, so make sure to beat the other one second in NG+

Well fuck. I never saw this guy? I've also already beat it... So it'll have to be NG++ :/

After I rang
the second bell, I returned to the Firelink Shrine bonfire, and I can't light it because the fire keeper is dead. I also have an item called Black Eye Orb that lets me invade the murderer's world. I don't know if this is a story thing or something another player did. Anyway, how do I actually use the Black Eye Orb to invade that world? "Use Item" is always grayed out when I try.

finalozzo said:
yes, at least that.

ok right now i'm using the Black Knight Greataxe, with 36 of STR, does it scale well with STR? Should i upgrade the STR?

then i don't have the twinkling titanite, at the ash lake there is the second hydra and i don't know how to reach the crystal cave after seath's death, so i'm kinda stuck.
from the wiki, it scale with B STR and E DEX, so STR is the way to go. Isn't the Crystal Cave where you defeated Seath?

Parallax Scroll said:
After I rang
the second bell, I returned to the Firelink Shrine bonfire, and I can't light it because the fire keeper is dead. I also have an item called Black Eye Orb that lets me invade the murderer's world. I don't know if this is a story thing or something another player did. Anyway, how do I actually use the Black Eye Orb to invade that world? "Use Item" is always grayed out when I try.
The game specifically tell you when it is a good time to use it. For now, you progress to
Sen's Fortress

Good Luck.

Parallax Scroll said:
After I rang

There will be a chance to use it later. It's in the story.

Kalnos

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
After I rang

It will let you know when you can use it.
it will vibrate in Anor Londo

Diamond

So yeah, this game is cool. :)

Ok, so I'm heading to Sif's lair, and think it will be cool to confront him with some help. I try to summon three guys in a row, and it doesn't work. So it seems I'm alone in this fight. I decide to go back to the bonefire just before the sealed (unsealed now) door to replenish my flasks.

I have already killed everybody in the area, everybody but the axe guy who stands near the Cheshire Cat. I run past him, climb the stairs and... I cannot cross the door, there's an impenatrable smoke cloud. I'm invaded.

The guy arrives, he wields the Drake sword (I don't) and means business. But he isn't alone : the IA axe guy follows him. I try to see if I can beat them, the combat is tough, I manage to touch them a few times but they slowly take away all my life. So I retreat, run through the woods, so at least I can try to resist to the invader without his newfound ally.

I have probably 1/10th of my life left at this point. I run as far as possible, all the way to Sif's lair doors and wait, with my trusted Halberd, for an honorable death. That's when I notice a white light on the narrow bridge : another guy wants to be summoned ! Quickly, I activate the mark. The invader has finally found me and my new coop buddy arrives just in time. Together, we easily defeat him, then go hunt some wolf. And I don't forget, on my way back, to gently obliterate the axe guy. That should teach him.

x3r0123

finalozzo said:
yes, at least that.

you unlocked that shortcut from the last bonfire seth right?

Psy-Phi

Diamond_4444 said:
So yeah, this game is cool. :)

Ok, so I'm heading to Sif's lair, and think it will be cool to confront him with some help. I try to summon three guys in a row, and it doesn't work. So it seems I'm alone in this fight. I decide to go back to the bonefire just before the sealed (unsealed now) door to replenish my flasks.

I have already killed everybody in the area, everybody but the axe guy who stands near the Cheshire Cat. I run past him, climb the stairs and... I cannot cross the door, there's an impenatrable smoke cloud. I'm invaded.

The guy arrives, he wields the Drake sword (I don't) and means business. But he isn't alone : the IA axe guy follows him. I try to see if I can beat them, the combat is tough, I manage to touch them a few times but they slowly take away all my life. So I retreat, run through the woods, so at least I can try to resist to the invader without his newfound ally.

I have probably 1/10th of my life left at this point. I run as far as possible, all the way to Sif's lair doors and wait, with my trusted Halberd, for an honorable death. That's when I notice a white light on the narrow bridge : another guy wants to be summoned ! Quickly, I activate the mark. The invader has finally found me and my new coop buddy arrives just in time. Together, we easily defeat him, then go hunt some wolf. And I don't forget, on my way back, to gently obliterate the axe guy. That should teach him.
Next time you're in need of some health, use a piece of humanity that you inevitably need. It'll heal ya up good.

prodystopian said:
Is there a bonfire next to the boss in Tomb of the Giants?
Relatively close yeah. Before where the yellow fog was, or another way to say it is, just past the multiple Skeleton Beasts.

It's pretty quick to get back to the room before the boss, but you'll have to fight through the enemies on the way of course.

Parallax Scroll said:
After I rang
Just keep going through the game as usual. You'll know when to use it when the time comes.

Thanks guys.

I finally learned a bit about how weapon upgrades work. I'd been using "special" weapons (the ones that require twinkling titanite to upgrade, such as black knight sword) for most of the game, but now that I know how easy it is to upgrade a standard weapon to +5 I have a few more options that seem viable. I'm gonna try 1-handing a claymore+5 for a bit.

I'm already partway through
Sen's Fortress
and I'm level 60, to give you guys an idea of where I'm at.

Max

I am not Max
I imagined that your Intelligence level boosted any pyro spells' damage

So I got it to level 24 for nothing

Diamond

Psy-Phi said:
Next time you're in need of some health, use a piece of humanity that you inevitably need. It'll heal ya up good.

Yeah I know, I used the last one I had at the time during the fight with the invader. Time for some farming it seems. :)

x3r0123

finalozzo said:
fuck no. =| is there a shortcut? How.

really its just one bonfire after another. From the first bonfire, you make your way through the duke's archives (assuming the stairs are already set and unchanged) third bonfire. The third bonfire leads outside of the archives and into the crystal caves

Don

Ornstein and Smough are still kicking my ass. I upgraded to SL54 but can't defeat super Ornstein. Even if I use no flasks in the first part of the fight I always end up running out during phase two. The best I've done is getting him down to just under 50% health but some of his hits do so much damage.

Going to stop for tonight because my hands are shaking now that I've been trying this fight so many times.

Not sure if this had been mentioned before but has anyone noticed the tracks on the soundtrack CD being labeled incorrectly. I haven't fought every boss yet so I'm not sure where all the tracks belong but the Sif music is labeled Gwynevere and Ornstein and Smough is labeled Centipede Demon on mine. I'm pretty sure a bunch of others are also mixed up.

x3r0123

Don said:
Ornstein and Smough are still kicking my ass. I upgraded to SL54 but can't defeat super Ornstein. Even if I use no flasks in the first part of the fight I always end up running out during phase two. The best I've done is getting him down to just under 50% health but some of his hits do so much damage.

Going to stop for tonight because my hands are shaking now that I've been trying this fight so many times.
i could probably offer my help. Assuming i finish anor londo by tomorrow

Dresden

Don said:

Not sure if this had been mentioned before but has anyone noticed the tracks on the soundtrack CD being labeled incorrectly. I haven't fought every boss yet so I'm not sure where all the tracks belong but the Sif music is labeled Gwynevere and Ornstein and Smough is labeled Centipede Demon on mine. I'm pretty sure a bunch of others are also mixed up.
I heard that getting the lightning resistance ring from the merchant in Sen's Fortress helps for Super Ornstein.

Zeliard said:
Correct. That was the case in Demon's Souls as well.

In the case of Anor Londo you can get invaded and even summon white phantoms if you kill
Gywnevere
Gywndolin
was dead as well while I was doing this. I thought it was only just blue phantoms ( darkmoon cov ) but I had a few black phantoms as well. It was pretty active pvp too, at SL 165 I had my fair share of fights.

Zeliard

Sseklebeast said:
In the case of Anor Londo you can get invaded and even summon white phantoms if you kill
Gywnevere
Gywndolin
was dead as well while I was doing this. I thought it was only just blue phantoms ( darkmoon cov ) but I had a few black phantoms as well. It was pretty active pvp too, at SL 165 I had my fair share of fights.

Ah interesting. Covenant-related? Or perhaps something to do with Anor Lando
going "dark" when Gwynevere is dead, apparently

Anyone have any tips on jumping? It seems to work pretty close to 50% of the time for me, and I can't figure out any way to alter that success rate.

EDIT: It's amazing that 20-odd years and countless technical achievements after the original Super Mario Bros, I'm playing a game in which getting your character to jump is iffy.

Jesus, has everyone read the description for the stones that cure you of curse?
They don't cure you exactly, there is a person trapped in the stone that you simply pass the curse onto :-/

MechaX

Yikes. I do not think From took into account how difficult the bridge dragon would get on subsequent NG+ run-throughs, like at all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey guys, remember the dude who can resolve NPC aggro? Well I talked to him and I got such a shock by the price I had to pay, I immediately killed him.

He deserves it.

Ugh. I'm trying my best to get every achievement in this game and it's driving me up the wall. Story achievements are a breeze - I've got most of them. But the weapon upgrade achievements...blah. Having to farm super rare materials for hours and having materials that can conceivably one be had at one or two per playthrough is just ridiculous. Just thought I would rant a bit. I love this game to death, but this grinding is killing me.

oracrest

Conciliator said:
Anyone have any tips on jumping? It seems to work pretty close to 50% of the time for me, and I can't figure out any way to alter that success rate.

EDIT: It's amazing that 20-odd years and countless technical achievements after the original Super Mario Bros, I'm playing a game in which getting your character to jump is iffy.

To jump, release and tap the button as fast as you can. And tap it, don't hold it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom