• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paches

What the hell, anyone else order from Best Buy online?

I did and got the game the day after it came out, the normal edition. I thought everyone got a free upgrade to the Collector's if you pre-ordered, but I just got the normal case, but it was no biggie to me, I was just going to let it go.

Fast forward to today I get UPS at my door handing me the Collector's Edition with another copy of the game and all the goodies. I was charged only once too for one game. What gives?

Not complaining though, I'll take 2 copies and maybe sell one!

RyanDG

Yoshichan said:
Hey guys, remember the dude who can resolve NPC aggro? Well I talked to him and I got such a shock by the price I had to pay, I immediately killed him.

He deserves it.

Hopefully you bought yourself some indictments and a book of justice before you did... I need some more targets. ;)

Conciliator said:
Anyone have any tips on jumping? It seems to work pretty close to 50% of the time for me, and I can't figure out any way to alter that success rate.

EDIT: It's amazing that 20-odd years and countless technical achievements after the original Super Mario Bros, I'm playing a game in which getting your character to jump is iffy.
Jumping is not an immediate function. You need to be at least in the running animation.

I guess meleeing Orstein and Smough is pretty tough (especially without a shield). I'm carrying Chaos Fireball as my one magic spell (only have two slots), and I've been trying to take out Smough first so I can get Orstein's kick-ass armor, but I can't get the two to stay together like I did in my ranged pyrosorcerer run.

Once they split apart they end up charging me at the same time. I can dodge one attack, but not both and then usually someone will continue the combo until I die (unless I have enough time to back off and heal which prolongs my life for a few seconds).

Maybe I shouldn't have gone with the Lighting Scimitar...

Dresden

KoreanBarbecue said:
Ugh. I'm trying my best to get every achievement in this game and it's driving me up the wall. Story achievements are a breeze - I've got most of them. But the weapon upgrade achievements...blah. Having to farm super rare materials for hours and having materials that can conceivably one be had at one or two per playthrough is just ridiculous. Just thought I would rant a bit. I love this game to death, but this grinding is killing me.
I dunno why you'd do it if it's no fun. They're just random points that no one will care about.

Finalow

x3r0123 said:
really its just one bonfire after another. From the first bonfire, you make your way through the duke's archives (assuming the stairs are already set and unchanged) third bonfire. The third bonfire leads outside of the archives and into the crystal caves
dude, i enter in the duke's archives and i find the first bonfire, ok, i go on and i find 20 enemies and an elevator. That elevator takes me to the room where you die against you-know-who, from there i'm stuck, can't go anywhere, only back to the first bonfire.

btw i'm at SL 120, have to finish Lost Izalith and New Londo Ruins+The Abyss, if someone can help. : )

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RyanDG said:
Hopefully you bought yourself some indictments and a book of justice before you did... I need some more targets. ;)
Of course I did :p

x3r0123

finalozzo said:
dude, i enter in the duke's archives and i find the first bonfire, ok, i go on and i find 20 enemies and an elevator. That elevator takes me to the room where you die against you-know-who, from there i'm stuck, can't go anywhere, only back to the first bonfire.

btw i'm at SL 120, have to finish Lost Izalith and New Londo Ruins+The Abyss, if someone can help. : )

hmm, you took 2 elevators? you only take one...

scy

Max said:
I imagined that your Intelligence level boosted any pyro spells' damage

So I got it to level 24 for nothing

To make matters worse, the S scaling on the Hand doesn't even apply to the melee swing. It literally does nothing.

Also, the Chaos spells do not scale with Humanity, despite what they say.

QisTopTier said:
So guys, is it just me or does darkness damage do bonus damage to living things? Errr not skeletons for example.

That's what it feels like. Now that you bring it up, I haven't tested it yet. I might do that when I get back to playing.

finalozzo said:

Don't take the elevator. That only leads you in one direction, take the stairs instead.

Finalow

x3r0123 said:
hmm, you took 2 elevators? you only take one...
yep, the second elevator is the only way in that room full of enemies.

edit: ok, maybe i missed the stairs, need to see it again. :-(

So I rolled a Wanderer and I read somewhere that DEX is a good starting stat with DEX based weapons. How do I exactly know a weapon is DEX based?

finalozzo said:
yep, the second elevator is the only way in that room full of enemies.
The first elevator is ok to take. But when you get to the room with crystal monsters and Channeler, you can take the stairs and not take the 2nd elevator.

Quote said:
So I rolled a Wanderer and I read somewhere that DEX is a good starting stat with DEX based weapons. How do I exactly know a weapon is DEX based?

If it says C/B/A/etc. next to it in the DEX category (highlight the weapon and hit Square on PS3/X on 360) then it scales with DEX. Stuff like Scimitar/Falchion/Rapier/Uchigatana all scale with DEX.

I'm around SL60 now, still in my first playthrough. Rolled a Wanderer with DEX, two-handing katana with no shield. Although I'm finding that Lightning Iaito pretty much destroys everything in a non-NG+ scenario, I'm still keeping my DEX high for when I make the jump to Uchigatana/Iaito + 15.

As of yet, Bell Gargoyle is still the most ridiculous, full retard fight in the whole game. I was less annoyed by Ornstein and Smough than those bastards. I do wish there was a Covenant that straight up blocked people from invading you (tradeoff could be that you can't invade anyone else while you're in it, for example), sometimes I don't feel like that shit but I don't want to have to put myself into offline mode to not have it happen.

Quote said:

Usually the weapon will start with a high DEX bonus, usually a 'C' or 'B', in the second column in the stat bonuses section.

Don

x3r0123 said:
i could probably offer my help. Assuming i finish anor londo by tomorrow
Thanks, although I've been trying to see if I can get through most of the game solo for my first playthrough. I'll see how I get on tomorrow before I break down and go co-op.

Dresden said:
I heard that getting the lightning resistance ring from the merchant in Sen's Fortress helps for Super Ornstein.
I was thinking about getting that but ended up spending a bunch of souls levelling up and buying large titanite shards to upgrade my armour instead. Maybe I should grind some more souls and get it.

What are some recommended ring combinations for that fight? I had just been using the Wolf Ring and Ring of Steel Protection.

redhot_

Zeliard said:
Ah interesting. Covenant-related? Or perhaps something to do with Anor Lando
going "dark" when Gwynevere is dead, apparently

i just did this and im getting invaded like crazy now.

Don said:
Thanks, although I've been trying to see if I can get through most of the game solo for my first playthrough. I'll see how I get on tomorrow before I break down and go co-op.

I was thinking about getting that but ended up spending a bunch of souls levelling up and buying large titanite shards to upgrade my armour instead. Maybe I should grind some more souls and get it.

What are some recommended ring combinations for that fight? I had just been using the Wolf Ring and Ring of Steel Protection.

I found the Coranthy Ring and the Hornet Ring to be super useful for that fight. The Coranthy Ring greatly increases your stamina regeneration, so you can get in more hits, quicker. The Hornet Ring boosts your critical hits, which was key to me since I was playing a Thief class.

AlphaDragoon said:
If it says C/B/A/etc. next to it in the DEX category (highlight the weapon and hit Square on PS3/X on 360) then it scales with DEX.

Stuff like Scimitar/Falchion/Rapier/Uchigatana all scale with DEX.

RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Usually the weapon will start with a high DEX bonus, usually a 'C' or 'B', in the second column in the stat bonuses section.
Thanks! I was getting a little worried that DEX was a bad place to put points in and was thinking about rolling a Pyro instead.

Kalnos

Banned
Quote said:
Thanks! I was getting a little worried that DEX was a bad place to put points in and was thinking about rolling a Pyro instead.

It is, until the new patch of course. :p

Fog Ring is stupid makes pvp no fun at all. Is there a way to counter it?

Also being nerfed next patch, supposedly.

tranciful said:
Darkmoon blade people wearing the ring are called to invade you when you're there :)

We can also invade sinners in any area :)

About 75% of all my invaders are using that Great Magic Shield giltch to make themselves invicible. It's so freaking annoying.

RyanDG

DontTouchMe said:
Fog
Ring is stupid makes pvp no fun at all. Is there a way to counter it?

Using weapons with a wide range for arcs and spamming hidden soul as soon as you see someone abusing that stuff.

redhot_

tranciful said:
Darkmoon blade people wearing the ring are called to invade you when you're there :)

We can also invade sinners in any area :)

Ohhhh.. this is seriously insane how fast im getting invaded back to back.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Yoshichan said:
Hey guys, remember the dude who can resolve NPC aggro? Well I talked to him and I got such a shock by the price I had to pay, I immediately killed him.

He deserves it.

He really did have it coming. Dude is a total extortionist.

DontTouchMe said:
Fog

The best counter is to wait for the patch later this month where it's apparently getting nerfed. In the meantime your counters are Homing Soulmass, Stone Greatsword/Tranquil Walk of Peace, AoE Pyromancy, and weapons with large swing radii.

zsswimmer

Level 25, I've mustve tried beating these bell gargoyles about 30 times now. Ive used gold pine resin and firebombs and literally the only thing these two fucking retards do is spam fire attack over and over. Im about ready to drive my fist thru the TV

Riposte

DontTouchMe said:
Fog

(Until they nerf it) Wide attacks.

zsswimmer said:
Level 25, I've mustve tried beating these bell gargoyles about 30 times now. Ive used gold pine resin and firebombs and literally the only thing these two fucking retards do is spam fire attack over and over. Im about ready to drive my fist the TV

When solo they are one of the toughest bosses in the game.

As a scimitar user then later a whip user, with no magic/ranged/shield, I've found that the key to success is to constantly get behind a fire breather, even if you can't attack because of the other one. Usually you'll be able to get one hit in though. Cutting off the first one's tail is pretty essential, because it controls so much space. On the other hand, it makes it much easier to damage and finish, so saving until the 2nd one comes isn't a terrible idea(haven't tried it).

Dresden

zsswimmer said:
Level 25, I've mustve tried beating these bell gargoyles about 30 times now. Ive used gold pine resin and firebombs and literally the only thing these two fucking retards do is spam fire attack over and over. Im about ready to drive my fist thru the TV
Reverse hollowing and go human so you can summon some peeps to help you. That's like the answer to every boss that you have trouble defeating. The other is to poke it in the butt.

So, I've made it all the way to blighttown, and I'm a level 34 Pyro. This entire time, I've only had one pyro technique(fireball) and have never upgraded my glove. Getting cursed was a blessing in disguise, as I've not only upgraded the living hell out of my glove, I've also got combustion, and discovered another blacksmith as well. Also, a shortcut to blighttown, and the Valley of the Drakes as well. I can't believe I've made it this far and defeated so many bosses with such ignorance.

Then I had to turn it off and go to work :^/

zsswimmer said:
Level 25, I've mustve tried beating these bell gargoyles about 30 times now. Ive used gold pine resin and firebombs and literally the only thing these two fucking retards do is spam fire attack over and over. Im about ready to drive my fist the TV
I think when this has gone on long as that, it is time to re roll your class.

What weapon are you using? I think what you need is the almighty Drake Sword!

zsswimmer said:

Try to farm some humanity from the rats that are either under the bridge, go Human, and summon Solaire right outside the fog door that leads to them. He can usually almost take out one of the gargoyles all by himself and it makes the fight way easier.

zsswimmer said:

I couldn't even beat them by myself with my build (DEX, no shield) when I first played through it. I had to end up getting humanity and summoning two dudes to help me kill them. That's seriously the hardest fight in the game, as I've experienced.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Defuser said:
But thats what you deserve for screwing over Npcs.

But he still has the absolve sins option even if you haven't pissed somebody off, making you think you've done something horrible. He's an extortionist and a fraud.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do we know if they're only buffing stat-scaling or are they also nerfing elemental-stats?

Holy shit. I killed
Pinwheel
in THREE HITS from my lightning bastard sword +4. I had myself all psyched for a tough fight, what a relief!

zsswimmer

How often do the rats under the bridge drop Humanity, cause I haven't received a single Humanity drop in the game yet. I started my game up a week ago and randomly received a couple of humanity while playing. But I have yet to get any in a drop, and I really need some human help on this boss

RyanDG

Yoshichan said:
Do we know if they're only buffing stat-scaling or are they also nerfing elemental-stats?

All they are saying in their post was balancing... What that is going to entail is anyone's guess at this point (either buff/nerf/both).

Yoshichan

Quote said:
More info please?
Fixes to certain spells and effects:
- Magic Shield, Strong Magic Shield
- Tranquil Walk of Peace
- Ring of Fog, etc.
Unlimited uses of magic and items
Regular weapons rebalanced against reinforced weapons
Adjustments to the player matching conditions
Loading problems when switching between maps
Of particular note is the matchmaking fix, as there have been reports of problems for those trying to find co-op buddies or invade other players, and a change to the Ring of Fog, which has rapidly become notorious for its overpowered use in PvP situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom