• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlphaDragoon said:
I couldn't even beat them by myself with my build (DEX, no shield) when I first played through it. I had to end up getting humanity and summoning two dudes to help me kill them. That's seriously the hardest fight in the game, as I've experienced.
Honestly, it just took a shit load of patience for me. All I had was my hand axe, firebombs, and level 1 fireball pyro. I found staying slightly below his elevation on the roof caused him to swing over me often, which lead to melee attacks. When the second one pops out, I just kept my distance and had the patience of a stone. Waiting at the right times to use firebomb and pyro. Melee's the main gargoyle afterward.

Anyone in NG+, do Serpent (item discovery rings) stack? Thinking of doing all my farming for big weapons in my NG, these drop rates suck, new londo knights won't give me a slab.

Quote said:
Which is the issue that fixes DEX? Rebalancing of weapons? Sorry if I'm a bit dense, I just started Dark Souls.
if anything it is:

Regular weapons rebalanced against reinforced weapons

demosthenes said:
Anyone in NG+, do Serpent (item discovery rings) stack? Thinking of doing all my farming for big weapons in my NG, these drop rates suck, new londo knights won't give me a slab.
I don't think so. Havel rings doesn't stack, I assume the other rings doesn't either.

vilmer_

Geez, if it's not someone two-handing me right through my shield and killing me, it's someone using that tranquil slow effect :/

matmanx1

Finally made my way back down to Blighttown today with the intention of finishing it off, ringing the second Bell and going through The Great Hollow and Ash Lake. I'm pleased to say I was successful although it was a tense, death filled trip that I will probably never forget.

Blighttown boss I downed on my 3rd try as I finally figured out that she's easier when you just straight up "tank" her with a good shield and try to get some hits in between her combos and special attacks. After that I joined the Chaos Covenant and got my Great Chaos Fireball and Great Combustion and am literally ready to set the world on fire, so to speak.

The Great Hollow was confusing and tense as heck, even with the guide. I don't know how anyone gets the
crystal lizards
in there because I only ever got to one before it escaped and it ended up falling to it's death. I quit out and reloaded but still didn't get an item so I'll have to go back someday when I'm feeling up to it.

Ash Lake had the best scenery and music that I have yet experienced in Dark Souls and the boss fight there was also pretty fun once
I got up in it's face and started hacking instead of trying to stay back and use ranged attacks
. It's too bad there isn't more to do in Ash Lake because the area is just extremely cool.

I'm going to start working on
Anor Londo
tonight after I dance a little dance with
Havel the Rock
. I need something he's carrying!

redhot_

vilmer_ said:
Geez, if it's not someone two-handing me right through my shield and killing me, it's someone using that tranquil slow effect :/

I just had some guy try to use that spell on me.. he didnt expect my washing pole to reach that far and got dropped in one shot lol.

matmanx1 said:
I'm going to start working on
Anor Londo
tonight after I dance a little dance with
Havel the Rock
. I need something he's carrying!

After getting stomped by him a few times when I first started playing, let me just say it's SO satisfying to come back and punish him like he deserves.

bathala

Banned
saw this on Gamefaqs
Mariemeia said:
After spending a lot of time using Eyes of Death almost everywhere, as well as gathering informations from japanese websites (2ch, Dark Souls jp wiki), I finally understood I little bit more how exactly the Gravelord Covenant works.

Some stuff still remains unclear, but I thought I could share what I've found so far:

> How to curse other worlds?
Of course you have to use the Eye of Death, but it will only work under two conditions: you can only use it when you are in human form AND in an area you didn't complete/didn't defeat the boss. If you use it while undead or in an area you've already completed, nothing will happen (even though your body will still emit some dark aura).
The Gravelord soul sign in a cursed world looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/4537nw5

> What happens to the player who is sending the curse?
When you are actually sending a curse to other players worlds, you cannot enter the white fog gate leading to a boss of your current area (the option to enter will be grayed out): this is actually a good way to see if the curse is actually working. The best place to try this is the Painted World, where trying to curse other players will work almost all the time.

> What happens in the cursed worlds?
Black Phantom versions of already existing monsters will appear. Even after exiting the area, resting at a bonfire, quitting the game and even dying, the curse will still be working (as long as the player who sent the curse is still online/didn't die in the meantime). In this case, the only way to stop the curse is to find the Gravelord Soul Sign in order to invade his world.
Black Phantom versions of NPC look like this: http://tinyurl.com/3shxt3v / http://tinyurl.com/3ze49uy

> How long is the curse?
If after using the Eye of Death the Gravelord decides to quit the game or exit the current area by teleporting from a bonfire/using an item , the curse will be cancelled. As long as no loading screen appears, the curse will still be working. The curse will also be cancelled if the Gravelord dies.

> Other stuff:
-While the player is cursing other worlds, since he is in human form he can also be invaded by Black Phantoms/Blue Phantoms from other covenants, as well as the "spirit of revenges" (cursed players who found the soul sign of the Gravelord).
-Players can be cursed by a Gravelord in an area they have already completed.
-Cursed players don't have online restrictions (they can use the white soapstone, an eye of death if they have one, etc.).
-When using an Eye of Death, Gravelords cannot see white soul signs / dragon soul signs, etc. anymore, but they can put their own white soul sign.
-When using an Eye of Death you cannot see your own Gravelord soul sign. According to 2ch's Dark Souls boards, apparently the Gravelord soul sign doesn't stay still in the cursed players worlds and is moving (sounds weird...).
-Eyes of Death are rare drops from cursed frogs. Other than that, only 9 can be found normally during the game: 3 in the catacombs, 3 in the Tomb of Giants, 3 from Patches.

hey, so quick question. I killed
the npc merchant/pyromancer teacher in blighttown (he guards the entrance to that bonfire, I said no as I thought it was asking if I wanted to join a covenant).
Now I have to pay 87,000 souls for absolution. is it worth it? I didn't lose much by killing him, will I be hunted down or will others be hostile towards me?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Aselith said:
They're making magic unlimited use? That sounds like a horrible change for the balance of the game. Magic is way to powerful to be unlimited use.
They're fixing the unlimited magic-glitch :p

Cloudius12 said:
Have you talked to him after beating the Four Kings? If so, I'm not sure where he is because I haven't talked to him yet.

Didn't realize you had to talk to him... now I did, now he's standing near where Petrus used to be.
He sold me Resist Curse for 5000 and seems to be able to break a curse (not sure if there's a cost involved).

Now I'm only missing the last spell from Big Hat Logan. :)
I'm only missing the miracle from redeeming the final boss's soul.
And I'm only missing the pyromancies found in Lost Izalith (chest/reward for beating bed of chaos).

Feels good man.
Now if I could just clear up some of these random drops for rare weapons and get some of the weapon upgrade trophies out of the way. :\

--

scy said:
To make matters worse, the S scaling on the Hand doesn't even apply to the melee swing. It literally does nothing.

Also, the Chaos spells do not scale with Humanity, despite what they say.

What? Are they fixing this in the patch? I mean, I'm okay with dumping some points into INT because I want to be able to use crystal magic weapon... not sure I'll ever dump enough in to get up to using crystal soul spear (or even soul spear) though. It would make it easier to dump stuff into INT if I knew the S scaling on my +5 pyro flame was working.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Aselith said:
They're making magic unlimited use? That sounds like a horrible change for the balance of the game. Magic is way to powerful to be unlimited use.

No, they're fixing a glitch that currently makes magic unlimited use. It's unlimited right now, after the patch it will be limited.

bathala

Banned
Sniper McBlaze said:
Just beat the Queen Witch Queelag. Where to now? New Londo? Demons ruins? That door that opened after I rang the second bell?
As I was told by someone from this thread when I finished that part

there's a boss in the demon ruins that is the easiest of all (i hope u heard of its exploit)
which u can get a good armor

bathala said:
As I was told by someone from this thread when I finished that part

there's a boss in the demon ruins that is the easiest of all (i hope u heard of its exploit)
which u can get a good armor

Easy as in easy when you exploit it or is it doable anyway? I really don't wanna cheat myself through the game.

ixix

Sniper McBlaze said:
Easy as in easy when you exploit it or is it doable anyway? I really don't wanna cheat myself through the game.

You get the armor before the boss, and even if you get brutally maimed immediately you still get to keep it. And the exploit isn't really an exploit, it's an intended way to beat the boss.

Insaniac

Sooo, the crystal forest sucks.

Thank god I'm over-leveled. if i had died to seath even once I woulda been pissed to have to go through that place again. (Even though I will to get Logan's stuff)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm playing this offline now... messages are samey and pretty pointless and I'm getting constantly invaded by people with late game gear and magic I haven't even seen yet. And they're all the cheesiest motherfuckers.

Half the time the online doesn't work when I need it to, so it seems like more frustration than it's worth. Last invader sealed it for me... such a douche.

ixix said:
You get the armor before the boss, and even if you get brutally maimed immediately you still get to keep it. And the exploit isn't really an exploit, it's an intended way to beat the boss.

Lol, ok. The place scared the crap out of me when I reached it so I decided to never return. Guess it's to return now anyway. :p

Evolved1 said:
I'm playing this offline now... messages are samey and pretty pointless and I'm getting constantly invaded by people with late game gear and magic I haven't even seen yet. And they're all the cheesiest motherfuckers.

Half the time the online doesn't work when I need it to, so it seems like more frustration than it's worth. Last invader sealed it for me... such a douche.

I'm also not a pvp fan...but teaming up really is fun (and useful if you can find summon signs when you need them). I played the entirety of Demon's Souls offline and am enjoying (for the most part) playing online now.

ixix

Evolved1 said:

I'm getting the feeling myself that invasions are getting a little out of control. I tend to go out of my way to do areas in human form just to bait invasions, and to sometimes camp areas intending to get invaded, and the prevalence of Fog Rings and completely maxed-out Pyromancy flames and Lightning weapons on rather low-leveled invaders has, in my anecdotal experience, skyrocketed the past couple of days. Lightning Spear, Eagle Shield, Pyromancy Flame, Fog Ring, and Gold Hemmed Robes seems to be the uniform of choice for the low-level griefer.

Plus, lots of people are also wise to Chameleon ambushes now, which kills a lot of my fun.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm stuck trying to find a weapon to replace my Drake Sword +2.
Here's a quick rundown of my current stats/loadout:
End: 20
Str: 30
Dex: 20

Gear:
Gold-Hemmed everything
Winged spear +10
Grass shield +10
Iaito +5

I started as a pyro, but my playstlyle leads me to a quick type build so I haven't pumped points into faith or int. Unfortunately, it looks like even my spear doesn't do the same damage yet, or for what I've experienced up to this point.

I've beaten Quelaag and just got back from the Asylum and I'm thinking I'm going to go visit Sif.

Any recommendations?

The end levels off this game are pure shit. Tomb of Giants, Crystal cave and Lost Izalith some of the worst design ive ever seen in a game. This game took a fast and furious nose dive. I dont even care about getting loot anymore, just want to finish this fucking game and be done. such a disappointment coming from demons souls

scy

corrosivefrost said:
What? Are they fixing this in the patch? I mean, I'm okay with dumping some points into INT because I want to be able to use crystal magic weapon... not sure I'll ever dump enough in to get up to using crystal soul spear (or even soul spear) though. It would make it easier to dump stuff into INT if I knew the S scaling on my +5 pyro flame was working.

I doubt it. Or, at least, I really hope they don't. As it stands right now, Dusk Crown with the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring you can do nearly 1000 damage with the Chaos Fireball. Letting it scale with INT (and Humanity) on top of that is just ridiculous.

Do keep in mind that the Pyromancer Flame is the only one of the caster items that is upgradable and that DOES increase the Magic Adjust of the item (which is what INT/Faith scaling does).

Zzoram

For the Gravelord thing, how do you win?

If someone quits their game instead of being killed by Black Phantoms, do you get a Dead Eye as a reward for that? Or do you have to just leave your game on until someone dies to get your reward?

Does the curse only work on other Human form players?

I wonder if anyone has successfully earned Dead Eyes by using them to curse other players and get them killed. It seems ridiculously hard to do.

hteng

Banned
RiccochetJ said:

Gear:
Gold-Hemmed everything
Winged spear +10
Grass shield +10
Iaito +5

I started as a pyro, but my playstlyle leads me to a quick type build so I haven't pumped points into faith or int. Unfortunately, it looks like even my spear doesn't do the same damage yet, or for what I've experienced up to this point.

I've beaten Quelaag and just got back from the Asylum and I'm thinking I'm going to go visit Sif.

Any recommendations?

seems you are strength focus, but you are using spear and eastern swords? which are dex focus. if you want to continue with those weapons then by all means pump your dex. otherwise a longsword +10 probably does more damage than your Iaito +5.

Jhoan

My game is finally getting shipped after I contacted Newegg customer service. Apparently there was a shipping error (since the store that I ordered it from never had it in stock) so my order was canceled. They refunded me my money plus the shipping difference. I still got the game for 39.98 and it's on it's way. Can't wait to dig in and die within a few days. I saw a video of Blighttown's framerate and it does look bad, so I'm worried. Hopefully, that won't detract me from enjoying the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sniper McBlaze said:
I don't know exactly what the deal is- I beat it without knowing about the exploit and was pretty confused. Either way you can grab the armor easily.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Am I just getting tired or did I just get invaded while hollowed?

Bleh, off to bed...
fuzzyreactor said:
The end levels off this game are pure shit. Tomb of Giants, Crystal cave and Lost Izalith some of the worst design ive ever seen in a game. This game took a fast and furious nose dive. I dont even care about getting loot anymore, just want to finish this fucking game and be done. such a disappointment coming from demons souls
Yep, yep!

Zzoram

Ooccoo said:
I think this game is not for me. It's just impossible and fucking annoying

It's actually not, you just have to calm down and remain patient. You can be level 100 but if you try to rush through easy enemies, they can still kill you.

You have to give every enemy respect.

Where are you stuck? There might be an easier way to do whatever you're stuck on.

Dresden

RiccochetJ said:

Gear:
Gold-Hemmed everything
Winged spear +10
Grass shield +10
Iaito +5

Any recommendations?
Make your spear or Iaito into a lightning weapon. Or go through Sen's Fortress and grab the lightning spear.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
hteng said:
seems you are strength focus, but you are using spear and eastern swords? which are dex focus. if you want to continue with those weapons then by all means pump your dex. otherwise a longsword +10 probably does more damage than your Iaito +5.
Yea, early on I was putting a lot into strength but I'm more focusing on my dex and endurance. I wasn't seeing my spear or the sword look like it was going to take over the Drake Sword I'm currently using anytime soon. So I should upgrade one of my longswords in the meantime until my Dex gets higher?

Yoshichan

Ooccoo said:
I think this game is not for me. It's just impossible and fucking annoying
Where are you stuck?

Beats

fuzzyreactor said:

What's wrong with Tomb of the Giants, and Crystal Cave exactly?

tranciful

Evolved1 said:

...just stay hollowed if you don't want to be invaded

Beats said:

I can imagine someone with the Pyro hand would hate Tomb, the only reason I didn't have a problem is b/c Pyro+15 is a beast down there.

hteng

Banned
Hawkian said:
I don't know exactly what the deal is- I beat it without knowing about the exploit and was pretty confused. Either way you can grab the armor easily.

there's an exploit for
ceaseless discharge
?

as far as im concerned, just go to the platform beside where he started, aggro him. start from the right side, run towards the left, even long before he pulls up his tentacles he would already be targeting the spot you originally was on (he has no tracking at all). by the time he slams down you would already been far away to the left side.

he does have a very big hit window for his slams though.

Beats said:
annoying, frustrating, trail and error bullshit. Lost Izaith is the worst offender. "lets dumb a million dinos in a lava pit where you cant see shit to make it hard." fucking lazy game design

Zzoram

Donthizz# said:
how can I clean out the
skeletons in that pit in Tomb of the giants?

Drop down, run around a bit to clump them up, use Chaos Fireball with a ascended +5 pyro flame, kill most of them in 1 shot.

hteng

Banned
RiccochetJ said:
Yea, early on I was putting a lot into strength but I'm more focusing on my dex and endurance. I wasn't seeing my spear or the sword look like it was going to take over the Drake Sword I'm currently using anytime soon. So I should upgrade one of my longswords in the meantime until my Dex gets higher?

yea get a longsword +10 in the meantime, the sword won't go to waste even if you switched to other weapons later on since you can use it to forge special weapons from boss souls.

go unlock the grinding spot in the forest and buy those upgrade shards from the blacksmith, but you'll need large shards from +6 and onwards though. you can buy or farm those later too (Sen's fortress, Blighttown Slugs).

Donthizz# said:
how can I clean out the
skeletons in that pit in Tomb of the giants?

alternatively you can use firebombs, but you'll need lots of it. or go down and face them in mortal combat like i did
(i died of coz, who the fuck is sane enough to fight them downthere)

fuzzyreactor said:
annoying, frustrating, trail and error bullshit. Lost Izaith is the worst offender. "lets dumb a million dinos in a lava pit where you cant see shit to make it hard." fucking lazy game design

lost izalith seems hard first time through (it's still tedious) but by the time you reached the 2nd tower on the right side, you can pretty much bait those "dinos" to hit themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom