• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooccoo

Yoshichan said:
Where are you stuck?

I'm in Undead Parish. Dunno where to go, and the rats must have poison killed me a hundred times already, even though I lure them out and usually kill them without hassle. That armored pig is just ridiculous, when I do get there. Don't even mention that knight on top.

Dresden

Ooccoo said:
I'm in Undead Parish. Dunno where to go, and the rats must have poison killed me a hundred times already, even though I lure them out and usually kill them without hassle. That armored pig is just ridiculous, when I do get there. Don't even mention that knight on top.
You get those skull items for a reason, stay on top and drop them by the bonfires so the pig charges them and kills himself.

Zzoram

Ooccoo said:

Did you meet the first merchant in the Undead Burg just before the bonfire? He's down a hidden stairway on a platform guarded by 2 spearmen. Don't hit him by accident.

He sells a Short Bow (1000 souls) and Wooden Arrows (cheap, 3 souls a piece) which you can use to lure out the rats 1 at a time to minimize risk of being poisoned.

The knight is optional, skip him for now.

The armored boar is a miniboss, he won't respawn. Use the bow to lure out all the guys around him 1 at a time. Use the first person aiming mode, not lock on, you can shoot much further with first person mode.

Once you've cleared away basically everyone except the boar, you can fight it. Trick it into running into the fire beside the stairs to your right. It'll lose a lot of health if you can get it to do that repeatedly.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
fuzzyreactor said:
The end levels off this game are pure shit. Tomb of Giants, Crystal cave and Lost Izalith some of the worst design ive ever seen in a game. This game took a fast and furious nose dive. I dont even care about getting loot anymore, just want to finish this fucking game and be done. such a disappointment coming from demons souls

Agreed 100%, its like they ran out of time and said fuck it. That area leading up the tree boss, wtf is that shit?

Loved the game till around the the crystal caves, down hill fast after that. Doubt I'm even going to finish it at this point, to bad end boss looks like a pussy too :/

def sim

Sorry about having to kill wolfie, but hey, at least now I have a miniature version of the sword he was using. Surprisingly capable sword, but I doubt the damage will surpass elementals until SL 300 or so. Would be great to have on an exploit character or post patch, I suppose.

Oh and Moonlight sword sucks. Bummer.

leehom

How do I kill the water hydra at level 33?? One hit of his splash attack nearly kills me....and I'm having a difficult time killing those baby drakes in Valley of the Drakes.

AkuMifune

Banned
You know, even after I beat the game I have no idea what the pendant did. Kinda crappy starting gift, or did I just miss something?

Patches didn't recognize me and I got on fire at the end. Then it was over...?

jesus this thread moves fast. I'll try again - can anyone help with absolution? It costs around 87k for me and i don't know if it's worth it. I killed
the crawling guy after quelaag
and I don't know if absolution is worth it. if I don't pay, will I get invaded alot? any other downsides?

Ken

I've never tried luring the boar to the fire. The method I use is to lure the boar back to the stairs, and after a certain point he'll stop and turn around. That's when I stab him in the unarmored butt with a Drake Sword. If you miss, he'll probably attack you once but turn around again.

PeterVenkman said:
jesus this thread moves fast. I'll try again - can anyone help with absolution? It costs around 87k for me and i don't know if it's worth it. I killed
and I don't know if absolution is worth it. if I don't pay, will I get invaded alot? any other downsides?

Sounds like it just removes hostility and indictments? I don't think that what he has to offer is worth 87k though.

Spwn}I'm a level 17 pyromancer and I'm still in Undeadburg. Just too afraid to face the boss![/quote said:
Wow, I'm level 20 at
Ornstein and Smough.
@_@

I just rang the first bell with my thief and a Longsword +3, should I try to get the Drake Sword or is the Longsword +3 superior anyway?

Zzoram

leehom said:
How do I kill the water hydra at level 33?? One hit of his splash attack nearly kills me....and I'm having a difficult time killing those baby drakes in Valley of the Drakes.

Get a shield with high magic defense and 100% physical, the hydra blasts are magic dmg.

Get close enough for it to stop shooting that and instead attack you with his heads. When he does, your shield should block it if it's a 100% physical shield, then you can attack one of the heads before they are retracted. Rinse and repeat. Be careful not to fall into the deep water and die.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
AkuMifune said:
You know, even after I beat the game I have no idea what the pendant did. Kinda crappy starting gift, or did I just miss something?

You can trade it with the crow at Undead Asylum to get an item. Don't know if it has any story value at all though.

ZeroRay

Spwn said:
I'm a level 17 pyromancer and I'm still in Undeadburg. Just too afraid to face the boss!

Fight him coward!

Seriously, he's not that bad. You might die, but that will be an experience unto itself.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
AkuMifune said:

The Pendant can be traded for a Souvenir of Reprisal at the crow's nest in the Undead Asylum. Other than that it does bupkis.

Zzoram

Ooccoo said:
I killed the merchant (lol)

Makes things more difficult but not impossible.

Just lure out a few of the enemies by stepping forward and go back into the staircase hallway to fight them 1 at a time. The boar can't go in there so he'll just turn around and leave.

Then when the coast is clear, lure the boar into the fire repeatedly.

There should really be a giant warning screen at the beginning of the game saying:

MERCHANTS OFTEN LOOK LIKE ENEMIES

Zeliard

Haha is that how you guys really killed the boar? Luring him into fire? :p

He's like a walking backstab waiting to happen.

Now that
other boar in Duke's Archives intelligently has armor covering his ass, so that's different.

Nekrono

Holy shit I just got this!

Looks like I won't be sleeping tonight!.

Any tips for a starting player? I played entirely through Demon's Souls and I want challenge, not that Royalty/Pyromancer crap.

Sounds like it just removes hostility and indictments? I don't think that what he has to offer is worth 87k though.

well I did kill him so I'm hoping he would be the only one who is hostile towards me. the last thing I need is people invading me because I killed a stupid npc who was blocking my way to a bonfire

Evolved1 said:
I'm playing this offline now... messages are samey and pretty pointless and I'm getting constantly invaded by people with late game gear and magic I haven't even seen yet. And they're all the cheesiest motherfuckers.

Half the time the online doesn't work when I need it to, so it seems like more frustration than it's worth. Last invader sealed it for me... such a douche.

I was wandering around Duke's Archives before I lost the 31 humanity trying to get that stupid fucking crossbow. I was human from kindling the bonfire down in the jail area and some douche invaded.

I saw him around and managed to avoid him for a bit. I went back into the cell with the bonfire and let the crystal undead rape me. I felt kind of dickish, but I had no way of knowing if him killing me would take half my 40k+ souls...

Zzoram

Nekrono said:

Any tips for a starting player? I played entirely through Demon's Souls and I want challenge, not that Royalty/Pyromancer crap.

Don't kill merchants. Merchants are in the middle of levels and often look like enemies. Don't attack anyone who isn't charging at you, at least not until you get close enough to check for a Talk prompt.

Nekrono

Zzoram said:
Don't kill merchants. Merchants are in the middle of levels and often look like enemies. Don't attack anyone who isn't charging at you, at least not until you get close enough to check for a Talk prompt.
That's a very cool tip, thanks!

hteng

Banned
PeterVenkman said:

i don't think absolution brings back dead NPCs, but absolution will not increase as many times as you've sinned (let's say you switched several covenants and aggro several NPCs). it will only increase according to your Soul Level.

def sim

Nekrono said:

Play deprived? I really don't notice much of a difference between the classes, but yeah, go for that and ignore all magic. You can play without a shield too, which is easy enough since there are hells of invincibility frames on the roll.

Anyway, I heard roll has been nerfed in Dark Souls so I'm assuming Demon's Souls was a lot easier game than people made it out to be. As it is now, it's like jumping through a black hole and back out after a second or so.

Zzoram

PeterVenkman said:
well I did kill him so I'm hoping he would be the only one who is hostile towards me. the last thing I need is people invading me because I killed a stupid npc who was blocking my way to a bonfire

He moves out of the way after you talk to him, he just crawls slowly because he has a sack of eggs on his head.

I actually enjoyed the
Tomb of the Giants after getting the lamp. Crystal Caves didn't bother me too much because it was actual very short but Lost Izalith was easily the low point of the game. It was boring and fighting the weird leg monsters just felt glitchy.
Overall, the end areas weren't the best (
Sen Fortress was my personal favorite area
) but they didn't really tarnish my opinion of this game. I absolutely loved it.

Hell yeah motherfucker, it finally arrived in the mail. I was hyped to start but I couldn't sign into PSN because I needed an update (FU Sony).

Other than 'be cautious' what's another good general tip?

toasty_T said:
Hell yeah motherfucker, it finally arrived in the mail. I was hyped to start but I couldn't sign into PSN because I needed an update (FU Sony).

I think Pyromancer was a great place to start.

Rubashov

Zzoram said:
For the Gravelord thing, how do you win?

If someone quits their game instead of being killed by Black Phantoms, do you get a Dead Eye as a reward for that? Or do you have to just leave your game on until someone dies to get your reward?

Does the curse only work on other Human form players?

I wonder if anyone has successfully earned Dead Eyes by using them to curse other players and get them killed. It seems ridiculously hard to do.
I wish he had talked about the rewards for doing all of this too. So far I've read that you only earn an Eye when the cursed enter your world and you kill them. If they die in their cursed world, then you get half of their souls. I see that repeated so much, I wonder if it comes from one of the guides.

This never made much sense, especially when it was recommended to hide your gravelord sign to keep them from invading you. If you only get Eyes from killing invaders, then you'd want it somewhere obvious, no? Some of these covenants feel like they weren't fully implemented in the game, but the ones that do have ranks are mostly focused towards acquiring the items that rank you up. I've seen one person claim that deaths of cursed players in their worlds would give you an Eye, but no confirmation on that.

A moving soul sign sounds cool, in that it might increase the chance of the sign being noticed, and avoid situations where the gravelord finds an impossible spot to drop the sign. But that picture looks like the gravelord's mark is right on top of a bonfire, doesn't it? That would imply that it doesn't move and that you only earn Eyes by invasion, since the gravelord clearly wants to be found (unless he just wants challengers or that was a test between friends).

I hope we get more clarity soon, because this covenant always intrigued me the most. It encapsulates what makes these games so different. The gravelord effectively becomes From Software and reaps the rewards of dicking over the average adventurer.

Dresden

toasty_T said:

Circle around and stab things in the butt.

Barakov

Just beat Ornstein and Smough. What a ugly fight. It's the second time I've flipped the bird at my television screen after taking downing a boss in this game.

Rubashov said:
I wish he had talked about the rewards for doing all of this too. So far I've read that you only earn an Eye when the cursed enter your world and you kill them. If they die in their cursed world, then you get half of their souls. I see that repeated so much, I wonder if it comes from one of the guides.

This never made much sense, especially when it was recommended to hide your gravelord sign to keep them from invading you. If you only get Eyes from killing invaders, then you'd want it somewhere obvious, no? Some of these covenants feel like they weren't fully implemented in the game, but the ones that do have ranks are mostly focused towards acquiring the items that rank you up. I've seen one person claim that deaths of cursed players in their worlds would give you an Eye, but no confirmation on that.

A moving soul sign sounds cool, in that it might increase the chance of the sign being noticed, and avoid situations where the gravelord finds an impossible spot to drop the sign. But that picture looks like the gravelord's mark is right on top of a bonfire, doesn't it? That would imply that it doesn't move and that you only earn Eyes by invasion, since the gravelord clearly wants to be found (unless he just wants challengers or that was a test between friends).

I hope we get more clarity soon, because this covenant always intrigued me the most. It encapsulates what makes these games so different. The gravelord effectively becomes From Software and reaps the rewards of dicking over the average adventurer.

You can easily find/buy eyes of death. So why would you want to play 3v1 for a couple of eyes of death when you can be a dick, make someone's game harder, and when they die, you get half their souls (x3)?

Zzoram

corrosivefrost said:
You can easily find/buy eyes of death. So why would you want to play 3v1 for a couple of eyes of death when you can be a dick, make someone's game harder, and when they die, you get half their souls (x3)?

Wrong. You can only find/buy 9 Eyes of Death per NG.

You can supposedly farm them from the curse frogs, but I've killed over 50 and never seen them drop anything.

Beats

fuzzyreactor said:
annoying, frustrating, trail and error bullshit. Lost Izaith is the worst offender. "lets dumb a million dinos in a lava pit where you cant see shit to make it hard." fucking lazy game design

I agree Lost Izalith wasn't very good overall (I actually liked the room with the dinos. The boss was kind of lame though) The Crystal Cave took me few tries (wasn't being careful enough with the enemies) to complete. There's maybe like two enemies in there that are really a big threat when going through it. Those bridges aren't even that bad either...

I didn't even know there were invisible bridges until I saw some snowflakes fall onto what appeared to be "nothingness" while other flakes kept going. I put down messages for myself to know where the paths were in case I died. I had to use prism stones/arrows on the last bridge though to be sure that I wasn't going to fall to my death.

I actually thought the flakes were really neat especially since you can hear them when they hit the ground. The level is a little short though.

For the Tomb of the Giants I can see how the
complete darkness
can be a problem, but once I got something that let me see it played like a "normal" level. Could you explain exactly what was annoying, and frustrating with the tomb, and the cave? I think the only really bad end game level is Lost Izalith. The rest aren't as good as the first half but they aren't terrible.

Zzoram

The Light spell lets you use a shield in Tomb of the Giants.

Basically, in Dark Souls, sorcery is easy mode, just as it was in Demon's Souls.

def sim

Yeah the drop rate and path gets 3 Eyes in an hour at best, and I'm not one to throw away time like that. That's not easy at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom