• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Akuun said:
So I got the Iaito yesterday, but I'm not sure what the buzz is about. Does this weapon get much better later in the game? Why does everyone talk about this weapon so much?

Medium length, medium swing speed, good moveset (Horizontal R2 over Uchigatana's thrust), Dex scales well. It doesn't Occult or Enchant well though, if I recall (C for both) but it makes a good Lightning/Fire weapon though. I like the Washing Pole better just due to the increased range, though it is a little out of the way requirement wise at 20 STR; uses the Uchigatana moveset though.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the Katana weapons, really; the Curved blades I like more, though you get that bizarre flip-slash that I forget having occasionally and flip off of cliffs for maximum hilarity.

- Longbow for ranged stuff. High dex makes for pretty decent single hit damage.

Bow of Pharis is a good option as well; I think it has a better S scaling and better range.

x3r0123 said:
not really, you cant summon others for help though

go along the path of the first boss and you will encounter the red dragon, dont kill it. Just run like crazy to the right for a set of stairs

to do backstabs, you need to go behind an enemy and attack

Is this the dragon on the bridge where if you shoot its tail you get a nice sword?

Can a thief use swords? I also haven't found any bows and I think I missed my first magic spell.

Don

I found the Amazing Chest and got the Lordvessel.

I think I remember reading about being able to talk to someone else after getting Lordvessel and before talking to Frampt to hear some extra story details. How do I go about doing this? After meeting this person can I still go back and talk to Frampt and place the Lordvessel on the Firelink Altar or do I have to do one or the other?

Finalow

the hell? I killed 80+ seashell things at crystal cave and i got ONLY TWO twinkling titanite, wtf? Now i need 4 to take my greataxe to +5 but hell no.
this method sucks, and yes, i have the ring.

Vice

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Is this the dragon on the bridge where if you shoot its tail you get a nice sword?

Can a thief use swords? I also haven't found any bows and I think I missed my first magic spell.

Yes and yes. Any class can use any weapon as long as they have the stats for it.

Wow, Tomb is 10x harder in NG+ :(

GAF, I think I messed up, I'm in Tomb and I used a bonfire. I can't get out can I? Did I just royally fk up? (I'm in NG+, therefore can't warp)

Don said:
I found the Amazing Chest and got the Lordvessel.

I think I remember reading about being able to talk to someone else after getting Lordvessel and before talking to Frampt to hear some extra story details. How do I go about doing this? After meeting this person can I still go back and talk to Frampt and place the Lordvessel on the Firelink Altar or do I have to do one or the other?

Don't place the lordvessel (or talk to frampt).
If you do, make sure you can homeward bone out or something.
So instead, with the lordvessel still in your possession, do New Londo Ruins and kill 4 kings. You will meet Kaathe.

Anyone else have the problem that the character sometimes doesn't run? It only happens when I wanna run straight ahead, not when it's at a slight angle.

StMeph

Closing in on the end of the game; only Duke's Archives/Crystal Cave remains. Some thoughts on everything up to this point:

The game in general feels easier than Demon's Souls, mostly because Bonfires obviate so much risk and provide so many advantages: checkpoints within levels/areas instead of having to restart the entire area upon death, replenishing healing potions and spells, and being able to spend souls before losing them by upgrading your weapons or leveling up.

Also not losing 50% of your health upon death and losing a ring slot just to raise that to 75% with Cling Ring makes the contrast to losing a ring slot to wear the Ring of Favor and Protection ridiculously stark. 75% Health, + bonus damage dealt vs. 120% Health, Endurance, and Max Load.

That said, I do think the level design of Dark Souls has been better than Demon's Souls. Sen's Fortress was easily the high point in dungeon design (seriously, why was there little to no traps anywhere else), and Anor Londo was the high point in atmosphere. Its vastness and majesty contrasted with how totally empty and lifeless it is. Instead of broken ruins filled with corpses like New Londo, Anor Londo is immaculate and embodies the end of the age of gods.

I also like how Firelink Shrine started to get lively with NPCs as you encounter them on your journey, but then as you near the end, they all leave, for different reasons, leaving the place pretty much empty again. It just drives home the point that this is a long and solitary journey where everything and everyone goes and you are the only constant.

Don

corrosivefrost said:
Don't place the lordvessel (or talk to frampt).
If you do, make sure you can homeward bone out or something.
So instead, with the lordvessel still in your possession, do New Londo Ruins and kill 4 kings. You will meet Kaathe.
And after meeting Kaathe can I still go back to speak with Frampt afterwards?

scy

Don said:
And after meeting Kaathe can I still go back to speak with Frampt afterwards?

Just so you know, you never have to actually speak to Frampt to continue with the game. It's not like unlocking the Darkwraith Covenant (which is what this detour ultimately does) will mess your game up. Basically,
speaking to Frampt makes you lose the Covenant, speaking to Kaathe makes you lose Frampt's eating items for souls

Zzoram

I'm hoping to get most trophies with my first character, seems like you need to do NG++ to get the rare weapons trophy :s

Zzoram

demosthenes said:
Yup.

So GAF, did I screw myself by going into the Cata/Tomb without a way to warp out @ the bonfire?

You can walk out. For Tomb, if you go down a while and get to patches, go to the opposite direction and you end up climbing up back to the Catacombs/Tomb interface, then you can drop down into the Catacombs boss spot and work your way back out.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
darkwing said:
me, no reason to take it off

I'm afraid to put it on, in case I need the ring slot for something else (what else, i do not know). Right now, I always travel around with the item finding ring on as well as havel's. I guess this 20% ring can replace havels.

Zzoram said:
You can walk out. For Tomb, if you go down a while and get to patches, go to the opposite direction and you end up climbing up back to the Catacombs/Tomb interface, then you can drop down into the Catacombs boss spot and work your way back out.

Ok, So I shouldn't go below that then, dammit I wanted to get the White Slab XD

Zzoram

commish said:
Does everyone use Ring of Favor and Protection?

It's terrible for Sorcerers, since we need the +33% magic damage ring on at all times, and the other slot has to be available for the Rusty Iron or Serpents.

Zzoram

demosthenes said:
Ok, So I shouldn't go below that then, dammit I wanted to get the White Slab XD

There is a bonfire down a ladder really close to patches, just before him I think. Might as well light that before leaving.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nekrono said:
Why is the game installing the Trophy Set every time I play it? Is this normal?
I haaaaaaate this :(

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Thanks for the help. I'll upgrade the iaito and experiment with its strong attack a bit more. I'm going to keep pumping dex, so I'll go with the upgrade route that scales best with that - probably not lightning.

As for the bow, I'll keep an eye out for it. I think my current bow is just some random storebought/dropped thing, and I haven't found anything better yet.

Finalow

demosthenes said:
Wow, Tomb is 10x harder in NG+ :(

GAF, I think I messed up, I'm in Tomb and I used a bonfire. I can't get out can I? Did I just royally fk up? (I'm in NG+, therefore can't warp)
yep, it is pretty hard. those dog-skeleton things can kill you in one hit.
why did you go there without the lordvessel? Now you are in shit, you have to go all the way back to the bonfire at the catacombs if you want to go out.

AEREC

Got a weird observation:

I created a female thief and and seems like her walking animation has changed..at first she had a womanly strut swinging hips side to side a little when she walked animation...but lately when I play here she walks like a male character with heavy armor animation, where it looks like she kind stomps around...I still have the base theif armor on that I started the game with and the only thing that has changed is that Im getting strength up to 16 to use the Drake sword.

So either it's a bug or female characters change their walking animation when you put more strength in them....

Insaniac

Zzoram said:
It's terrible for Sorcerers, since we need the +33% magic damage ring on at all times, and the other slot has to be available for the Rusty Iron or Serpents.

I dunno I've worn it ever since I've found it, and switch out my bellowing dragoncrest ring only when necessary (ie not often)

Don

scy said:
Just so you know, you never have to actually speak to Frampt to continue with the game. It's not like unlocking the Darkwraith Covenant (which is what this detour ultimately does) will mess your game up. Basically,
speaking to Frampt makes you lose the Covenant, speaking to Kaathe makes you lose Frampt's eating items for souls
Ah. I guess I can always do it one way for this playthrough and then the other on NG+ just to see the different dialogue anyway.

finalozzo said:
yep, it is pretty hard. those dog-skeleton things can kill you in one hit.
why did you go there without the lordvessel? Now you are in shit, you have to go all the way back to the bonfire at the catacombs if you want to go out.

I wanted the White Slab ;_;

SHIIIIIIIIIT

scy

AEREC said:
Got a weird observation:

I created a female thief and and seems like her walking animation has changed..at first she had a womanly strut swinging hips side to side a little when she walked animation...but lately when I play here she walks like a male character with heavy armor animation, where it looks like she kind stomps around...I still have the base theif armor on that I started the game with and the only thing that has changed is that Im getting strength up to 16 to use the Drake sword.

So either it's a bug or female characters change their walking animation when you put more strength in them....

Did your Equip Load change? There should be the 3 animations: <25%, 25% to 50%, and >50%.

K' Dash

I'm at the end of the painted world, I was watching today someone tackle that world from the begining, it was a pyro mage with a great axe, and oh. my. God. pyromancies and spells make this game a joke, 3 phalanxes dead in 1 shot, killing everythin from distance and healing spells, wow, everything seems weak against fire, it looks like other game completely.

I didn't see his Soul Level, but that shit was overpowered as fuck, and people were complaining about the drake sword, lol.

GAF, I think I messed up big time.

I took the shortcut through CATA, so I didn't fix all the bridges and I went into Tomb. So I don't think I'll be able to get out through CATA, so I think my character is stuck for good?

Akuun

scy said:
Did your Equip Load change? There should be the 3 animations: <25%, 25% to 50%, and >50%.
Is it worth cranking endurance to bring yourself down to <25% equipment load? I like how fast my character is when he's that lightweight.

Insaniac

K' Dash said:
I'm at the end of the painted world, I was watching today someone tackle that world from the begining, it was a pyro mage with a great axe, and oh. my. God. pyromancies and spells make this game a joke, 3 phalanxes dead in 1 shot, killing everythin from distance and healing spells, wow, everything seems weak against fire, it looks like other game completely.

I didn't see his Soul Level, but that shit was overpowered as fuck, and people were complaining about the drake sword, lol.

to be fair... it takes a LOT of souls to upgrade your pyro glove to max

Akuun said:
Is it worth cranking endurance to bring yourself down to <25% equipment load? I like how fast my character is when he's that lightweight.

Depends on just how heavy your armor set is, but if you're a melee class character, odds are you'll want a heavy investment in endurance anyway

scy

Akuun said:

Dark Wood Grain Ring lets you run at max speed always (well, under 50% weight); whether or not that's worth a slot over Havel's or Ring of Favor and Proection is another matter. Well, it also gives you that flip.

Insaniac said:
to be fair... it takes a LOT of souls to upgrade your pyro glove to max

It's like 250,000 for the first Flame and 140,000 for the second? Still, there's literally no reason to not have Pyro spells since it doesn't need ANY stat for the damage.

AEREC

scy said:

Good point...I didnt think of that. Im pretty early in the game so I havent picked up that much stuff but I guess Ill have to drop some things to find out.

Thanks!

KAOz

Short bus special
demosthenes said:

I took the shortcut through CATA, so I didn't fix all the bridges and I went into Tomb. So I don't think I'll be able to get out through CATA, so I think my character is stuck for good?

Nah, shouldn't be possible? Is there no way to run around and fix those bridges you never did? Search every nook and cranny.

And remember that there are some places where you can jump down through walls and stuff aswell. (Not into the depths. :p)

finalozzo said:
anyone? :0

Are you able to gain a couple of SL's? Am level 156 though, but really close by.

Dresden

demosthenes said:

I think you might be screwed without the lordvessel. I remember hearing about someone being stuck there too, if you took the shortcut.

Akuun said:

Personally, I vote no. I have 40 END on my melee, and even with Ring of Divine Favour and Havels, I am not below 25% when wearing any armor worth spit (best I can wear is a set of Badlers). So I wouldn't do it only for the speed.

However as melee I absolutely WOULD do it for the shield block. On my 2nd playthrough I took on Capra with a +1 knight shield, and 40 endurance but all my other stats at base (priest). He couldn't break through my shield, not even close.

I also recently did Sif on that character, and I can even shield block his double spin attack and still have about 1/3 of my stamina left, and he did 0 damage. I still have my original 11 vit.

Akuun

Thanks. I think I'll crank a bit more endurance, then. Most of my stuff is pretty light, so hopefully I can get under 25% relatively easily. And you're right - I'm primarily melee (still no magic at all) so more endurance is good, even if I don't get the speed boost.

AEREC said:
Good point...I didnt think of that. Im pretty early in the game so I havent picked up that much stuff but I guess Ill have to drop some things to find out.

Thanks!
Don't drop stuff. Just make sure you don't have the heavy stuff equipped. As far as I can tell, simply carrying heavy things (without equipping them) doesn't affect your equipment load.

finalozzo said:
the hell? I killed 80+ seashell things at crystal cave and i got ONLY TWO twinkling titanite, wtf? Now i need 4 to take my greataxe to +5 but hell no.
this method sucks, and yes, i have the ring.

You have the ring but how much humanity are you packing? I personally use about 15-30 depending on what I'm farming. I went from 1 in 50 harpies dropping Souvenirs of Reprisal to about 1 in 20 when i started packing 30 humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom