• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
SublimeO12 said:
Is there anyone else besides the guy in firelink and the blighttown chick that can upgrade the pyro glove then? I'm at +9 and she has not appeared in blighttown, but the guy at firelink is gone. Am I hosed?

If you've beaten Quelaag:
you can enter the chaos daughter covenant and the servant there can upgrade your glove. There is a hidden wall in the room with the elevator just before Demon's Ruins where you will find them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Toodles said:
Blegh, really not enjoying trying to get through the Sen's Fortress boss. My highest damage weapon is a Divine Morning Star +5 that's doing tiny, tiny damage per hit. The constant messing around with lock-on is irritating. I don't have enough health to survive the grab attack. I have a decent enough handle on his moveset now to avoid most of the attacks but I can't seem to make it all the way to the end of his lifebar without eating just one unlucky pick-up-and-smash.
Find the lightning spear :)

edit: oh, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfobr8Ox7qA&feature=feedu

4:07

Noaloha

RE: Lightning Spear,

So intimidated by my potency was the enemy who drops that spear that it decided it would rather leap bodily down a bottomless hole in the corner of that room than face me.

:[

Finalow

Tonza said:
Is farming demon titanite possible/easy? Im now at the Anor Londo boss and Im hesitating using my 8 demon titanite to upgrade the Furysword for the fight.
in lost izalith there is one of those demons that drop the demon titanite and it respawns.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
knitoe said:
Wow. I didn't know Ceaseless Discharge was so easy. The guy kick my ass the first time.

If you don't grab the armor set near him, he won't attack as soon as you enter the mist. Just attack him and start the fight. Now, lock on and stay close to the side. When he starts to do hand stomp, just roll to the side. Then, run in and 2 hand his arm. Repeat. I didn't get him once on NG+.
I lured his attacks from the little tunnel within the hill near where he starts. I just rolled left to dodge his attack, then 2-handed his arm. Took a bunch of tries to get the timing right, but I eventually got it. If he catches me in the wrong part of my roll, he oneshots me. :(

A much easier way was something I saw in a video, where you can lure him all the way back to the mist door so that he falls off the bottomless pit and dies instantly. I didn't try this one though, because it felt like a cop out.

Dresden

Toodles said:
RE: Lightning Spear,

So intimidated by my potency was the enemy who drops that spear that it decided it would rather leap bodily down a bottomless hole in the corner of that room than face me.

:[
Just find someone to summon.

Zzoram

I got invaded in Tomb of the Giants, the first time I have been invaded. It was tense!

I waited in ambush in a groove in the wall near Patches. He came I hit him once with a Great Combustion, he rolled backwards and fell into Patches' pit.

I lol'd and went to the ladder out to ambush him. He actually managed to get up alive because sorcery and pyromancy is really hard to aim at a ladder. He got out while I was in menu switching out my sorcery catalyst for my rapier. He ran back over to where Patches was. He was badly hurt at this point from the fall damage and fire hit he took. I managed to poke him twice with my rapier and he died. 13K souls and a humanity.

I could lock on to him too, so no fog ring apparently.

1stStrike

Banned
Guevara said:
Do the Titanite Demons in Sen's respawn? That would be pretty convenient.

Only the one in Lost Izalith respawns. But, it drops 2 demon titanite every time you kill it - and it only takes less than 3 minutes to do a run.

ShogunX

prodystopian said:
If you've beaten Quelaag:
you can enter the chaos daughter covenant and the servant there can upgrade your glove. There is a hidden wall in the room with the elevator just before Demon's Ruins where you will find them.

I didn't realise he was an NPC and just jumping attacked him from a few meters away :(

UFRA

Doc Evils said:
Hey guys,

I rang the second bell at blighttown. I'm level 42.

Where should I go next?

Although people say Sen's Fortress, you should really go back to the Firelink Shrine first.

Also, if you haven't already gone into The Great Hollow and Ash Lake, do that first. Then go back to Firelink Shrine and talk to all the new NPC's. Then go to Sen's Fortress.

Edit: Although I guess technically depending on the way you go back Firelink Shrine was on the way anyways... :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zzoram said:
I could lock on to him too, so no fog ring apparently.
lol

Who pvps without fog ring nowadays

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm currently using a Pyromancer with a sorcerer build. I'm currently at level 26. Is there any other things besides Intelligence that i should upgrade? I mean, is there anything further in the game that will give the sorcerer build a great advantage besides Intelligence?

deathkiller said:
The square button is the one that cycles between equipment attributes (left side of the screen), triangle is for cycling between your attributes (right side of the screen) that include the damage you do with each weapon.

One of the screens of the equipment attributes includes the damage it causes of each type and your stat bonus for said damage. If you don't have enough stats for using it the bonus is negative and when you equip it the game will tell you about that. In the same screen with the damages on bottom there is the stat requirements using symbols and you can compare it with your actual stat on the right.
I found it now. Thanks everyone! :D I was missing one Dexterity earlier to use the weapon i couldnt use.

Toodles said:
Blegh, really not enjoying trying to get through the Sen's Fortress boss. My highest damage weapon is a Divine Morning Star +5 that's doing tiny, tiny damage per hit. The constant messing around with lock-on is irritating. I don't have enough health to survive the grab attack. I have a decent enough handle on his moveset now to avoid most of the attacks but I can't seem to make it all the way to the end of his lifebar without eating just one unlucky pick-up-and-smash.

Do you like the morning star overall? I really wanted to try a bleed weapon so I upped mine to +7, but so far it seems really weak? I was hoping if I make it elemental it will be nicer, if it retains it's bleed effect as well.

On a more related note to your Iron Golem troubles:

1) Drag him to the middle of the platform, much easier to avoid him.
2) Don't use lock on, it makes it much easier to keep track of whats going on during the fight.
3) You could use the Lightning Spear from sens as well, it hits him for maybe 90 a shot.
4) Don't bother with a shield. On almost all boss fights I use a shield as well, but in this fight even though I can block his hits no problem, normally he hits so hard it just sweeps me off the tower anyways.

froliq

Zzoram said:
Where does he go in Firelink? Do you have to beat the Tomb of Giants boss for him to go back? The priest girl I saved was at the shrine, but I can't find Patches anywhere.
He's near the big bird at Firelink. To the left from Frampt. I went back after I killed the Tomb of Giants boss though so no idea if you have to beat it in order for him to show up.

Doc Evils

Ken said:
I went to Sen's Fortress.

Cloudius12 said:
Sen's Fortress which is near the Blacksmith you first meet.
UFRA said:
Although people say Sen's Fortress, you should really go back to the Firelink Shrine first.

Also, if you haven't already gone into The Great Hollow and Ash Lake, do that first. Then go back to Firelink Shrine and talk to all the new NPC's. Then go to Sen's Fortress.

Edit: Although I guess technically depending on the way you go back Firelink Shrine was on the way anyways... :p

Ok cool, thanks dudes.

Noaloha

Oracle Dragon said:
Do you like the morning star overall? I really wanted to try a bleed weapon so I upped mine to +7, but so far it seems really weak? I was hoping if I make it elemental it will be nicer, if it retains it's bleed effect as well.
It's been okay, the bleed effect kicks in fairly often it seems, though it depends a lot on the armour your enemies are wearin I assume. The attack patterns seem pretty standard and it's a shame there's no sweeping attack. The vertical R2 is okay for narrow corridors since I notice the R1 strikes can catch on walls at start up. I made the weapon specifically as a skeleton killer though. Obviously weak to Divine but also, being skeletons, my RPG upbringing leads me to believe that they must also be susceptible to blunt damage (or 'striking' as it's called in this game), just as they seem extra resistant to piercing (thrusting). This weapon certainly tears through skellies at least, as I imagine any Divine hammer/club would.

Beats

corrosivefrost said:
Tips for cutting off Centipede Demon's Tail so I can get my ring?

You can get the ring by cutting off the arm, or the tail. It's much easier to cut the arm off so go with that.

Insaniac

test_account said:
I'm currently using a Pyromancer with a sorcerer build. I'm currently at level 26. Is there any other things besides Intelligence that i should upgrade? I mean, is there anything further in the game that will give the sorcerer build a great advantage besides Intelligence?

I found it now. Thanks everyone! :D I was missing one Dexterity earlier to use the weapon i couldnt use.

Attunement, I'm a sorc primary with pyro and I find I need a lot of attunement slots to have enough spells to deal with small enemies while packing big spells to wipe out bosses.

Finalow

corrosivefrost said:
Tips for cutting off Centipede Demon's Tail so I can get my ring?
isn't it the same ring that he drops after you kill him? You don't need the ring for the battle, it's pretty easy.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
UFRA said:

This is ironic. I'm at the same point and I'm
going on to Demon Ruins.

I'm gonna get killed soon, aren't I? :p

UFRA

Akuun said:
going on to Demon Ruins.

Just FYI -

I would abort that. I have the guide, and according to that it says you won't be able to progress in that area yet.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Akuun said:
going on to Demon Ruins.

You won't be able to go far though, come back later.

You'll know when.

Zzoram

ugh WTF

I got randomly signed out of PSN when I was pretty far in Tomb of the Giants so the game save quit :(

Where the skeleton babies are, those mage things, do they respawn?

test_account

XP-39C²
Insaniac said:
Attunement, I'm a sorc primary with pyro and I find I need a lot of attunement slots to have enough spells to deal with small enemies while packing big spells to wipe out bosses.
Any specific number that would be great? I already have 4 slots of Attunement.

And speaking about pyro, which spells are the best of Combustion, Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat?

Dresden

Zzoram said:
ugh WTF

I got randomly signed out of PSN when I was pretty far in Tomb of the Giants so the game save quit :(

the mages respawn

Zzoram

I have 7 spell slots and I feel like it's still not enough :s

I'm at 28 ATT already though, the next slot isn't until 34

x3r0123

Zzoram said:
ugh WTF

whatever you kill doent respawn, unless you touched a bonfire or the things have a respawnable mode.

Dresden

with six slots for spells my Sorceror is running 40 great soul arrows, 10 homing soulmass, 10 crystal homing soulmass, 4 soul spears, 4 crystal soul spears. Once he gets 50 int one of the great soul arrows will get swapped out for White Dragon Breath.
test_account said:

And speaking about pyro, which spells are the best of Combustion, Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat?
Iron Flesh is a boss killer

Combustion is fast and useful (and cheap)

Flash Sweat is a gimmick spell most of the time

Jesus, Capra Demon is really powerful, or I'm under leveled (SL20). Keeps killing me in two hits before I can even make a dash for the stairs.

scy

test_account said:

Iron Flesh > Combustion > I have no idea what that spell even does.

If you haven't gotten it, Great Chaos Fireball (Join the Chaos Covenant) and Great Combustion (Purchase from Quelana) are great to have.

As for Attunement slots, 6 or 7 is a good goal to shoot for (23 or 28 Attunement, respectively). 8-10 are a pretty heavy investment (34, 41, 50) so I don't suggest that.

Noaloha

Woohoo, Iron Golem downed! :] No real change in strategy (2-handing, never get hit, bait attacks from mid-short front then run through legs), it's just that this time I finally managed to chip away at his health, flake by flake, whilst avoiding every grab attempt and not diving into the abyss. I DEFEATED!

Okay... finally made it to
Anor Lando

This game is easily the most consuming, but satisfying game I've played since Demon's Souls.

But as for the place I mentioned above, I'll leave it for now and farm myself some souls, find cooler armor and weapons, and then make my triumphant return.

scosher

SUBZERO-08 said:
Jesus, Capra Demon is really powerful, or I'm under leveled (SL20). Keeps killing me in two hits before I can even make a dash for the stairs.

This game is more about equipment than soul level. If you're having trouble on a boss fight, try to improve your weapon/armor first. Grab the Drake Sword particularly if you're having trouble with Capra Demon as it can one-shot the dogs. Improving a stat is such a negligible difference, plus it can put you out of the level range of summons for an area if you powerlevel too much.

Zzoram

GJS said:
Run past them.

I may do just that. By the time I get there, I am out of Great Fireball and just about of Great Combustion.

I'm saving my Homing Soul Mass and Chaos Fireball for the boss, and preferably would like to keep my Soul Spear for the boss too but I had to use them on those stupid mages since it was my longest range spell left.

Is it much further past them to the boss?

test_account

XP-39C²
scy said:
Iron Flesh > Combustion > I have no idea what that spell even does.

If you haven't gotten it, Great Chaos Fireball (Join the Chaos Covenant) and Great Combustion (Purchase from Quelana) are great to have.

As for Attunement slots, 6 or 7 is a good goal to shoot for (23 or 28 Attunement, respectively). 8-10 are a pretty heavy investment (34, 41, 50) so I don't suggest that.
Ok, thanks :) I havnt gotten the Great Chaos Fireball yet, but i dont think that i've gotten that far in the game to get it yet. Or maybe i didnt have enough souls to buy it at the moment. There were one spell that were greyed out because i didnt have enough souls, but i dont remember what it was called.

EDIT: It is called Fire Orb.

Dresden

Zzoram said:
I may do just that. By the time I get there, I am out of Great Fireball and just about of Great Combustion.

I'm saving my Homing Soul Mass and Chaos Fireball for the boss, and preferably would like to keep my Soul Spear for the boss too but I had to use them on those stupid mages since it was my longest range spell left.

Is it much further past them to the boss?
Nah it's right up that hill, in the same room. I always ran past them.

Beware that there's a
white titanite slab
in the room, so you might want to clear it out the first time just to grab it since there's no going back up once you kill the boss. Forgot to nab it on my cleric so I had to climb down all the way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom