• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Mattdaddy said:
Ok I got a question about reinforcing estus flasks...

Do you need to find all the fire kindler (or whatever they are called) things to upgrade your flasks before you ring the second bell? Cause I heard that after you ring the second bell, everyone in firelink shrine gets shanked including the imprisoned chick that does the upgrade for you. So should I start rounding up all these upgrades now or is there another way to upgrade after she dies? I only have 1 upgrade right now, the one under the first bell. I cleared all the undead burg and just killed Moon moth, now fighting the Hydra and the really tough knight next to him (Haveth?)

Well,
her death trigger isn't actually the bell, it's finding the Fire Keeper Soul down there. But, there's more people who can do the upgrade for you. The Chaos Covenant ... lady ... can be found after the Blighttown boss and there's a Firekeeper in Anor Lando as well).

Edit:

Owensboro said:
Bah, I really should have upgraded the flame this time before killing the guy in the swamp....but I'm no magic user! How was I to know? Is there anyone else that will upgrade my flame if he's dead? I really just need to read this guide better.

Same as what I just said above, actually; that
Blighttown
spot has another NPC for modifying your Flame.

Rubashov

KAOz said:
Guys, just arrived at the second bonfire in Anor Londo.

Solaire isn't here. I talked to him at the Undead Burg, but... he isn't here. Is there a way to "fix" this?

Also, do I need to run into Sen's Fortress again, because neither is Sigmeier. I forgot to talk to him before opening it up, then he was gone, and well, I killed the boss there of course. Is he still there?
Solaire is at the third bonfire in Londo. The one in a room with the fireplace. The 2nd bonfire was an empty mausoleum. If you've just arrived at the 2nd fire, then you wouldn't have reached the spot where the Onion Knight is either, because that's past the 3rd one.

sotodefonk said:
Yes I know where it is (fuckin statue impaled me several times lol), is there another illusory wall there?
No, I just needed a reference point for directions.
Starting at the bonfire go back and to the right into the room with a couple of skeletons in it that has a spiral stairway going up and another one going down. Follows the stairway down and it should end suddenly but there's a platform just below that you can drop down to and another below it. There should be a treasure item that can hep guide the way. You have to do this carefully because if you miss a platform you'll probably die, which is why I recommend going from that bonfire. Drop down to the last part then when you drop through the hole you should meet the blacksmith in a cutscene.

Is anyone else having freezing issues? I've found my PS3 version hanging randomly while waiting to be summoned, standing around, etc. I can still access the XMB but the in-game stuff is stuck. I've been in-and-out of this thread, so I'm sorry if it's been mentioned before.

Mattdaddy said:

Do you need to find all the fire kindler (or whatever they are called) things to upgrade your flasks before you ring the second bell? Cause I heard that after you ring the second bell, everyone in firelink shrine gets shanked including the imprisoned chick that does the upgrade for you. So should I start rounding up all these upgrades now or is there another way to upgrade after she dies? I only have 1 upgrade right now, the one under the first bell. I cleared all the undead burg and just killed Moon moth, now fighting the Hydra and the really tough knight next to him (Haveth?)

You heard wrong. Corrections below.

If you let Lautrec out of his cell then after you ring the 2nd bell, I believe, he will kill the firekeeper there. You will get some unique items and be unable to upgrade your estus flasks until you get to anor londo. The keeper of the first bonfire there can do it. At Anor Londo, you can take down Lautrec and retrieve the firekeeper's soul; this will allow you to bring her back to life at Firelink and re-enable the bonfire there.

--

The only freezing issue I had was during an online experience where I was summoned. The guy decided to use firestorm or some varient of it and filled the screen with so much shit my ps3 choked out and froze. I think this was fighting the optional miniboss in painted world, maybe.

hteng

Banned
MechaX said:
Okay, how did you people manage to get past the bridge dragon on NG+? It's absolutely absurd that he can still essentially one shot you and stun-lock you.

fire resistance equipment does not seem to reduce the amount of damage you take either. he has tons more health too. i think the first encounter where he comes from behind will one shoot anyone with low health, after that it's just stripping to no armor and sprint to the safe spot.

he can be beaten with melee but it's also dependent on luck.

Owensboro

scy said:
Same as what I just said above, actually; that
Blighttown
spot has another NPC for modifying your Flame.

Sweet. I'll run and do that when I get home. I was worried that you would need some base amount of +flame, or intelligence, or any of the other things that keep NPC's from talking to you (Screw you Big Hat).

kodt

Banned
Mattdaddy said:

the firekeeper in firelink only dies if you freed and did not kill Knight Lautrec of Carim (gold armor). He will kill her after you go to the depths. Not everyone dies, she is the only one. Some of the characters in firelink will leave and go elsewhere later in the game, but you can find them back.

Also, there are two other firekeepers that can reinforce your estus flasks in the game.

Salih

DarkMehm said:
So, I've done Undead Burg, Undead Parish and killed Capra Demon. I'm SL 24, where should I head GAF? I've already got me that armor in Darkroot, but I'm unsure wether I should go on there or head to the Depths.

You should go to Darkroot to get some purple moss clump (heals poison) because after Depths you get to Blighttown where you def. need some of those. You should also buy that anti-poison ring from Oswald of Carim (Bell tower where the two gargoyles showed up).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DarkMehm said:
So, I've done Undead Burg, Undead Parish and killed Capra Demon. I'm SL 24, where should I head GAF? I've already got me that armor in Darkroot, but I'm unsure wether I should go on there or head to the Depths.

depths. unlock pyromancer merchant, easy boss, lots of souls, unlock entrance to blighttown

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
If my weapon of choice does not scale with str/dex (i.e., not even an F), is there any point in pumping points into those stats?

Man, dying in this game feels so bad sometimes, especially with humanity added into the mix. I recently lost 13 humanity, and felt so bitter about it that I ended up farming humanity off the rats in the Depths. Now I have 24 humanity on my character and 51 stocked up in my inventory. I'm going to shit my pants if I die and have to recover my bloodstain in harsh circumstances.

scy

corrosivefrost said:
You heard wrong. Corrections below.

If you let Lautrec out of his cell then after you ring the 2nd bell, I believe, he will kill the firekeeper there.

You don't have to free him; he'll do it himself (...somehow). Freeing him yourself just gets you a Sunlight Medal. His triggers I know of are
Your second Fire Keeper Soul or ringing the second bell. Besides that, Blighttown progress (?) or ringing the Church bell will have him manage to free himself. As far as I can tell, he'll always be freed and ready to kill the girl before you've rung both bells.

Barrett2

Chinpoko_Master said:
Man, dying in this game feels so bad sometimes, especially with humanity added into the mix. I recently lost 13 humanity, and felt so bitter about it that I ended up farming humanity off the rats in the Depths. Now I have 24 humanity on my character and 51 stocked up in my inventory. I'm going to shit my pants if I die and have to recover my bloodstain in harsh circumstances.

What is the advantage of having that much humanity active? I rarely have more than 1 or 2. Am I missing better drops, or something?

scy

lawblob said:
What is the advantage of having that much humanity active? I rarely have more than 1 or 2. Am I missing better drops, or something?

Each Humanity (on the HUD) grants more chance for drops. With the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and 30 (31?) Humanity, you're capped out on Item Find chance.

Besides that, Chaos weapons (but not the spells, despite their in-game description) scale with up to 10 Humanity.

lawblob said:

Your item discovery increases with your humanity level. Also if you use chaos weapons they have a damage modifier based on your humanity.

So yes, you may be missing better drops.

Beat the game, linked the fire, as others have said,
a let down that it's just a big bonfire.

So now that I got the
Soul of Gwyn
from the last boss, use it to make his weapon or consume?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
commish said:
If my weapon of choice does not scale with str/dex (i.e., not even an F), is there any point in pumping points into those stats?

no.

its arguable that even if it does scale with str/dex, just whack points into endurance and upgrade to an elemental (fire/lightning) weapon. Although that'll take a while and in the meantime you'll be killed a lot.

scy said:
You don't have to free him; he'll do it himself (...somehow). Freeing him yourself just gets you a Sunlight Medal. His triggers I know of are
Your second Fire Keeper Soul or ringing the second bell. Besides that, Blighttown progress (?) or ringing the Church bell will have him manage to free himself. As far as I can tell, he'll always be freed and ready to kill the girl before you've rung both bells.

I think it's an either/or
with finding the other soul, or ringing the bell.

I had kept hearing that he will kill the fire keeper after The Depths/Ringing the second bell.

On my way into Blighttown, I had seen the Firekeeper still alive after killing the Gaping Dragon and thought she was alive. I went in the back entrance and came across a fire keeper soul and thought "ha-ha, he only kills her after I ring the bell - I'm going to go upgrade my flask before he does this.

Hauled back to Firelink, and she was dead and he was gone - and here I thought I was being crafty by spoiling that part of the plotline for me and thought I could beat him to the punch.

All in all, I got my revenge - and was happy to see her return.

corrosivefrost said:
You might be hosed -- you need to at least talk to him before the gate opens... you can skip talking to him while there though.

If you'd talked to him before the gate opened, he should be in the room that's only initially accessible via the roof in anor londo.

only talked to him at undead burg, first time you meet him. that's it. i never met him in the depths on my first PT, so i thought it's all right.

scosher

Salih said:
You should go to Darkroot to get some purple moss clump (heals poison) because after Depths you get to Blighttown where you def. need some of those. You should also buy that anti-poison ring from Oswald of Carim (Bell tower where the two gargoyles showed up).

Healing poison isn't nearly as important as healing toxin in Blighttown. And even more important than getting those consumables (which you can also just buy from the vendor in the Depths), is getting the Rusted Ring back in the Undead Asylum imo.

Salih said:

Toss in a side-trip back to the undead asylum for the rusted iron ring to make your trek through the swamps slightly less annoying. That + a stockpile of moss clumps makes blighttown much less annoying.

Oh, and snag up a spider shield while your at it.

x3r0123

demosthenes said:
Beat the game, linked the fire, as others have said,
a let down that it's just a big bonfire.

So now that I got the
Soul of Gwyn
from the last boss, use it to make his weapon or consume?

you'll need his soul for 2 things: upgrade a weapon and get a miracle

lawblob said:
There isn't much advantage to having that much humanity, so I don't really recommend it. The drop rate is higher but it starts to plateau once you get to like 10 humanity, after which it isn't really worth adding any more. Unless you plan on using Chaos weapons or farming a lot, I would stick with having less than 5 active humanity.

Don

PRAISE THE SUN!

Just beat Ornstein and Smough on my first try today after getting destroyed repeatedly by them yesterday. I had just used my last Estus Flask too.

Zoe

Do you start accumulating humanity at a quicker rate later in the game or something? I'm only in the Undead Parish, and I'm barely getting anything :\

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
mrklaw said:
no.

its arguable that even if it does scale with str/dex, just whack points into endurance and upgrade to an elemental (fire/lightning) weapon. Although that'll take a while and in the meantime you'll be killed a lot.

I see, I see. I already have a few elemental weapons, with my favorite being my fire uchi, but it doesn't get any bonus from my str/dex. Since my end is already 40, I guess I should pump up vit or spell-related skills.

Yuterald

60 some hours in and still enjoying it a lot. I love the design of this game so much. It's more King's Field-like than Demon's Souls was. The wrap around and "Aha" moments when unlocking a shortcut never gets old. I just finished two of the lord door boss areas so I guess I have two left. The catacombs were so much more fun too after upgrading my Silver Knight Spear. The place is actually playable, lol!

Is it just me or does anyone else think the bosses in Demon's Souls felt more special? I guess since the primary goal of the game was to destroy demons it felt like a bigger deal in the first game. I'd say Dark Souls has better enemy variety and design, but the bosses don't feel like they pack as big of a punch. The lord door bosses have been really cool so far, but I haven't see anything that comes close to a Flame Lurker, Maiden Astria, Old Monk (the blind one), etc.

Zoe said:
Do you start accumulating humanity at a quicker rate later in the game or something? I'm only in the Undead Parish, and I'm barely getting anything :\
Not really. You'll find it here and there but so far the only enemies I know of that drop it are the rats in the Depths, which you probably aren't too far away from.

Chinpoko_Master said:
Not really. You'll find it here and there but so far the only enemies I know of that drop it are the rats in the Depths, which you probably aren't too far away from.

Baby skeletons can net you a lot of souls and a lot of humanity.

scy

Zoe said:

There's a lot of Humanity lying around as generic treasure and some spots that grant you a lot in one-shot. Besides that, intentional farming them from rats or those tiny skeletons. If you never use any and never go out of way to get some, you'll probably still have close to 30 Humanity by the end of the game just from all the sources everywhere.

demosthenes said:
What...? Which miracle?

Sunlight Spear; it's not that great (2 slots to equip, 5 uses, though it does stun and breaks like the 1k mark at 50 Faith with equipment).

froliq

Zoe said:
Not really. I'm still not sure what triggers the random humanity gain, but you can farm the humanity item by killing certain creatures. And you gain humanity points when you succesfully help someone kill a boss or with invading.

Edit: welp beaten twice. Thread moving fast.

test_account

XP-39C²
deathkiller said:
Red means that it is worse not that you don't fit the requirement (in this case it means heavier than your previous equipment in that slot).
Thanks :) Yeah, i guessed that was the case because after i posted my previous post here, i checked some other weapons and eventhough they had some red numbers, i would still be able to use them fine.

But since it isnt the red numbers, how do i check what i need to be able to use some weapon properly?

scy

test_account said:
Thanks :) Yeah, i guessed that was the case because after i posted my previous post here, i checked some other weapons and eventhough they had some red numbers, i would still be able to use them fine.

But since it isnt the red numbers, how do i check what i need to be able to use some weapon properly?

Are you checking the right red numbers? It's the one with the symbols for STR, DEX, INT, and Faith. If you don't meet those, you'll do reduced damage/swing it meekly. Equip Load in the upper-right is something else; red/blue is just to show if it's heavier or lighter than what it's replacing and has nothing to do with how you use the weapon itself (barring it taking you over the 25% or 50% Equip Load marks, but that's movement speed/roll type).

KAOz

Short bus special
Rubashov said:
Solaire is at the third bonfire in Londo. The one in a room with the fireplace. The 2nd bonfire was an empty mausoleum. If you've just arrived at the 2nd fire, then you wouldn't have reached the spot where the Onion Knight is either, because that's past the 3rd one.

Yeah, no, always counting the one in the room as the 2nd one for some reason. :p

But seems like alot of people are having this kind of problem.

Also, I have found something amazing to do! I invade other peoples games, turn into a vase (but don't even try to hide it), dance around as it, then turn back. Turn into a vase infront of the guy, then breaking the spell by doing the Praise the Sun gesture.
I don't know WHY! But it's so hilarious. I don't even aim to kill the people I invade, I just want to do the magictrick for them.

Insaniac

a question for you magic users out there

For the homing soul mass spells, don't you think it'd be more practical to be able to command when to fire your soul masses? IE press RB and it launches the soul masses at whatever your targeting. if you aren't targeting anything it will attack the nearest enemy, and if you aren't in range of anything it won't do anything.

I find it rather irritating that A) soul masses fire on their own and can easily be dodged, and B) soul masses target dying enemies so you can waste an entire cast

just seems inefficient and badly designed IMO

test_account

XP-39C²
scy said:
Are you checking the right red numbers? It's the one with the symbols for STR, DEX, INT, and Faith. If you don't meet those, you'll do reduced damage/swing it meekly. Equip Load in the upper-right is something else; red/blue is just to show if it's heavier or lighter than what it's replacing and has nothing to do with how you use the weapon itself (barring it taking you over the 25% or 50% Equip Load marks, but that's movement speed/roll type).
Oh, then i'm probably checking the wrong numbers. I just clicked on the triangle button (PS3) and then i got those stats. And the only number that was red there was Equip Load. I didnt see STR, DEX etc., where do i find those? The square button? I mean i've checked there as well, but i cant remember seeing any red numbers. I will check again when i get home.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
If any 360 player at SL157 want help so I can get into the Warrior of Sunlight covenant hit me up with a pm. Currently in NG++ at the end boss.

scy

test_account said:
Oh, then i'm probably checking the wrong numbers. I just clicked on the triangle button (PS3) and then i got those stats. I didnt see anything else. Where do i find the list of STR, DEX etc.?

Go to equip a weapon and hit square. It should give you the stats of the weapon. The stats needed to wield it should be under the resistances listing part of the status screen. At least, I'm pretty sure it's square :/ Man, I check this so often and I can't remember the button for it.

The numbers will be white if you meet them or red if you don't. Armor has no stat requirements, just weapons and shields.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So I got the Iaito yesterday, but I'm not sure what the buzz is about. Does this weapon get much better later in the game? Why does everyone talk about this weapon so much?

I'm in my low 40s in level and have a dex build. These are my current weapon options:
- Vanilla Drake sword. It still deals the highest single hit damage out of all of my weapons. It's not THAT much better than my other weapons now, but I still use it for bosses, and other enemies I can't backstab. I also use its wide swinging arc for fighting multiple enemies.
- +5 Bandit Dagger. I use this to backstab enemies, and to stunlock the smaller ones with fast chain attacks. One-handed, it does slightly more DPS than the drake sword, but the range is an issue.
- +5 Estoc. I use this to outrange opponents and the chain attacks are nice, but getting mobbed leads to trouble and I'm still a bit unfamiliar with using this weapon because I primarily stick with drake sword and bandit dagger. It is very nice to be able to stab while blocking, though.
- Vanilla Iaito. The swing speed on this is between the drake sword and the estoc, but DPS wise it's a bit less than the +5 estoc. I'm not terribly impressed by its damage or its speed right now, though its range and swinging arc is nice. The sword feels slower than it should be, somehow.
- Longbow for ranged stuff. High dex makes for pretty decent single hit damage.

Is being Hallowed bad?

I've only beaten the very first boss so tips going out from here?

I'm playing thief. Fast and fast and hope to get backstabs. Which I don't know how to do yet.

test_account

XP-39C²
scy said:
Go to equip a weapon and hit square. It should give you the stats of the weapon. The stats needed to wield it should be under the resistances listing part of the status screen. At least, I'm pretty sure it's square :/ Man, I check this so often and I can't remember the button for it.

The numbers will be white if you meet them or red if you don't. Armor has no stat requirements, just weapons and shields.
I'm sure that it is the square button :) I remember that it shows some stats at least, but i couldnt remember to see any red numbers there earlier. But i will check again when i get home and report back.

x3r0123

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Is being Hallowed bad?

I've only beaten the very first boss so tips going out from here?

I'm playing thief. Fast and fast and hope to get backstabs. Which I don't know how to do yet.

not really, you cant summon others for help though

go along the path of the first boss and you will encounter the red dragon, dont kill it. Just run like crazy to the right for a set of stairs

to do backstabs, you need to go behind an enemy and attack

Found a new soul farming spot.
Doesn't yield any useful loot, unless you want silver knight drops, but if you just care about raw souls, it's pretty good. Yields 13,600 souls in about 2 minutes on first playthrough.

Requirements:
(1) Kill Gwynevere, Anor Londo needs to be dark.
(2) Test your might: Can you easily drop the two remaining enemies just outside Smough/Ornstein's room? Can you easily drop a silver knight? If yes, you're good to go.

Steps:
(1) Warp to Chamber of the Princess bonfire.
(2) Drop down to Smough/Ornstein's area, exit -- there will be two NPC type characters in the main hall, kill them both for 10k souls.
(3) Go up the stairs (on the left as you exit boss chamber) toward how you originally entered the great hall -- you're headed back to the bonfire after you dropped in the window on your first trip into the castle. Swing the left into the room that had the silver knight armor in a chest guarded by a silver knight (this room is directly across the hall from the small chapel with the titanite demon.
(4) Work your way back to the bonfire as noted in 3, you'll kill 2 silver knights in the room that had the chest and 1 in the hallway (for 900 a piece, so 2700 total.) If you are like me and drop a silver knight in 1 shot of fire orb, head into the room and drop the knight that guards the chest with the 3 sunlight medals for an extra 900.
(5) Rest at the bonfire, warp back to chamber of the princess bonfire.
(6) ????
(7) PROFIT!

Being a powerful pyro, this doesn't take me very long -- I drop off the balcony and heal with estus, then take on the two NPC-types; they drop with less than 6 fire orbs total (depending on my aim and 2-for-1 specials). All the silver knights drop in a single cast of fire orb for me (491 damage).

You have to use the warp back to chamber of princess bonfire -- resting at a bonfire does not respawn the NPC types. Besides, even if it did, taking the side hall through the silver knights for the extra 2700-3600 souls takes about as long as waiting for the elevator if you retraced your steps, so it's a better way regardless.

In theory, if you equipped that silver serpent ring, you could haul in 15240-16320 souls per trip. At this point, 2-3 trips and I can level at SL71... or I can use the cash to buy armor/weapons/upgrade materials... currently debating whether I want to level some of my stuff up quickly before tackling demon ruins.

Next experiment will be the 3rd bonfire in duke's archives for farming blue titanite chunks.

--

Akuun said:
So I got the Iaito yesterday, but I'm not sure what the buzz is about. Does this weapon get much better later in the game? Why does everyone talk about this weapon so much?

- Vanilla Iaito. The swing speed on this is between the drake sword and the estoc, but DPS wise it's a bit less than the +5 estoc. I'm not terribly impressed by its damage or its speed right now, though its range and swinging arc is nice. The sword feels slower than it should be, somehow.

The beauty of the iaito lies in the R2 attack. R1 is great for solo combat and getting flying things since it's a vertical type swing... but R2? Great for being surrounded if you can manage it -- hits pretty hard and has a wide arc. Plus it's just badass.

Currently, the iaito is my favorite weapon and I'm regretting having it as "divine+8". :\

test_account said:
Oh, then i'm probably checking the wrong numbers. I just clicked on the triangle button (PS3) and then i got those stats. And the only number that was red there was Equip Load. I didnt see STR, DEX etc., where do i find those? The square button? I mean i've checked there as well, but i cant remember seeing any red numbers. I will check again when i get home.
The square button is the one that cycles between equipment attributes (left side of the screen), triangle is for cycling between your attributes (right side of the screen) that include the damage you do with each weapon.

One of the screens of the equipment attributes includes the damage it causes of each type and your stat bonus for said damage. If you don't have enough stats for using it the bonus is negative and when you equip it the game will tell you about that. In the same screen with the damages on bottom there is the stat requirements using symbols and you can compare it with your actual stat on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom