• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentech

SUBZERO-08 said:
Jesus, Capra Demon is really powerful, or I'm under leveled (SL20). Keeps killing me in two hits before I can even make a dash for the stairs.
Should still be fine with a solid shield to take an opening hit, then roll away and up the stairs. Before I even read it was a strategy, I was using the stairs for separation and plunge attacking him. He should never hit you once you get up the stairs and kill off the dogs.

Anyways. Was trying to work on Sif. Got hosed on my first attempt trying to stay under his body. Just always got away from me and then did the double spin which I could only block once and the second would half my health.
So I make my run back and somehow one of the woodland people must of fell off a cliff and died, breaking the covenant and now they all run for my ass. Not a big deal, can still basically run through them all as long as you dont get stuck anywhere. But I ran back in human form, to get invaded right before I got to the gate. Saw the guy, disappeared. So I go and summon someone (the whole reason I got my body back) and while doing it I suddenly get backstabbed.

Go back again, in body form, while summoning someone I get invaded again, but we just walk through the gate, and die again. Damn this dog.

Finalow

Zzoram said:
I may do just that. By the time I get there, I am out of Great Fireball and just about of Great Combustion.

I'm saving my Homing Soul Mass and Chaos Fireball for the boss, and preferably would like to keep my Soul Spear for the boss too but I had to use them on those stupid mages since it was my longest range spell left.

Is it much further past them to the boss?
it's very easy, like running for 5 seconds.

Cardshark950

Neo Member
What's an effective strategy for beating Four Kings as a caster? I'm a SL 66 Sorceror. I've tried the crystal ring shield and havel's armor strategies, but they aren't working for me. I always run out of flasks after killing the first two. I'm 0/ approximately 30 attempts so far, which means I've died more on this boss than on all other bosses in the game combined thus far.

Does the centipede demon drop the ring, guaranteed, even if I don't cut off an arm or anything?

Cardshark950 said:
What's an effective strategy for beating Four Kings as a caster? I'm a SL 66 Sorceror. I've tried the crystal ring shield and havel's armor strategies, but they aren't working for me. I always run out of flasks after killing the first two. I'm 0/ approximately 30 attempts so far, which means I've died more on this boss than on all other bosses in the game combined thus far.

When you have to melee, what do you use?
I raped their faces with a lightning spear +5, which has no tie to any stat.

scosher said:
This game is more about equipment than soul level. If you're having trouble on a boss fight, try to improve your weapon/armor first. Grab the Drake Sword particularly if you're having trouble with Capra Demon as it can one-shot the dogs. Improving a stat is such a negligible difference, plus it can put you out of the level range of summons for an area if you powerlevel too much.
Yeah, I already have the Drake Sword and a Heater Shield for 100% Phys. protection. I keep getting overwhelmed by all three of them though. I'm still rocking the default Pyromancer armor, should I upgrade to something else?

EasyMode

corrosivefrost said:
Does the centipede demon drop the ring, guaranteed, even if I don't cut off an arm or anything?
I didn't cut off anything, and I got the ring.

Edit:
you mean the ring that lets you walk on lava right?

Dresden

SUBZERO-08 said:
Yeah, I already have the Drake Sword and a Heater Shield for 100% Phys. protection. I keep getting overwhelmed by all three of them though. I'm still rocking the default Pyromancer armor, should I upgrade to something else?
Nah you don't need it.

What helped for me is to run forward a bit, lock on to the capra as it runs towards you, then roll backwards as he winds up a swing before dashing past it and the dogs to the stairs. Or you can try to kill the dogs first and maybe eat a hit. Either way, if these two things happen -

- the dogs die

- you reach the stairs

you just won the fight.

EasyMode

Cardshark950 said:
Have you tried combining Havel's armor and the Iron Flesh pyro spell? That did the trick for me.

Cardshark950

Neo Member
corrosivefrost said:

When you have to melee, what do you use?
I raped their faces with a lightning spear +5, which has no tie to any stat.

I've tried with the Lightning Spear +5 and Queelag's Furysword +4. Those are my best weapons.

Dresden said:
Nah you don't need it.

What helped for me is to run forward a bit, lock on to the capra as it runs towards you, then roll backwards as he winds up a swing before dashing past it and the dogs to the stairs. Or you can try to kill the dogs first and maybe eat a hit. Either way, if these two things happen -

- the dogs die

- you reach the stairs

you just won the fight.
Thanks, I got close to beating him this time.

scy

test_account said:
Ok, thanks :) I havnt gotten the Great Chaos Fireball yet, but i dont think that i've gotten that far in the game to get it yet. Or maybe i didnt have enough souls to buy it at the moment. There were one spell that were greyed out because i didnt have enough souls, but i dont remember what it was called.

EDIT: It is called Fire Orb.

Covenant is right after
Quelaag, boss of Blighttown
, though it's behind an illusory wall. Just ... don't attack the NPC there (it's an egged Hollow). You also get Chaos Storm here but it costs you 30 Humanity.

Fire Orb is just an upgraded Fireball, for the record. Greater Fireball is the next step but costs 20,000 Souls if I recall. GCF is basically the same with a better radius and leaves a lava trail on impact for added damage; it does, unfortunately, take up two slots, not just one, when you equip it.

Darklord

Banned
Where do I go now? I killed the Gargoyals, rang the bell, explored the first bit(darkwood? Something like that), killed some giant butterfly, rang into some drakes and some MASSIVE hydra or something but they seemed too powerful.

EasyMode

Darklord said:
Where do I go now? I killed the Gargoyals, rang the bell, explored the first bit(darkwood? Something like that), killed some giant butterfly, rang into some drakes and some MASSIVE hydra or something but they seemed too powerful.
The bridge with the red dragon. There's a locked door there you should be able to open now.

Darklord said:
Ok, thanks. Also do I give the divine ember to the blacksmith?

Go ahead, you can't do anything else with it AFAIK, and each blacksmith only takes a specific set of embers, so you can't even give it to another one if you wanted to.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
SUBZERO-08 said:
Jesus, Capra Demon is really powerful, or I'm under leveled (SL20). Keeps killing me in two hits before I can even make a dash for the stairs.

I used a Zweihander +5 to take him out. It's powerful, takes out the dogs in one hit, and also stuns him. Once you can get up the stairs, just bait him to follow, drop down, wait till he drops and smash him while he's in stun animation from the drop. Rinse and repeat.

Zweihander also has 70 physical damage reduction (and I also had Steel Armor +2 though)

edit: ah, i'm late. good job!

Darklord said:
Holy shit. It was worth beating that boss. Havel's Ring is fucking awesome. Gave me like 20 extra equipment load.
I'm SL 72 and I've had it equipped for at least the last 30 hours or so. ;) Enjoy the best ring in the game.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
SUBZERO-08 said:
There, beat him. Capra Demon is one ugly ass goat.
This game has both incredibly beautiful bosses (
Moonlight Butterfly
) and incredibly ugly ones (
Gaping Dragon
).

Also, where did you find havel's ring?

bob_arctor said:
I used a Zweihander +5 to take him out. It's powerful, takes out the dogs in one hit, and also stuns him. Once you can get up the stairs, just bait him to follow, drop down, wait till he drops and smash him while he's in stun animation from the drop. Rinse and repeat.

Zweihander also has 70 physical damage reduction (and I also had Steel Armor +2 though)

I've been meaning to try this game again with a 2H build, but I just can't get a hang of the weapons. Especially when dealing with lots of small enemies it seems like a high liability. It's so slow, and recovery time is so long that when you miss (and sometimes even when you don't) you get nailed. I got my DragonKing GreatAxe up to +4 and even the 50str to use it with a shield, and I STILL suck with it ;)

Cardshark950 said:
I've tried with the Lightning Spear +5 and Queelag's Furysword +4. Those are my best weapons.

I used my Iaito+lightening

Furysword isn't much good because he has good fire resist. I found the spear to be tricky because it has such a narrow range of attack and he tends to jump all over - I finally beat him when I stopped using camera lock-on actually. He'd make my camera whip around fast and make me a bit nauseous.

He has times when his movements are not quite so jumpy, I'd use that to get close and slash away.

He will drop the ring every-time - but will drop it sooner if you cut off his limb first. Then even if you fail the fight - you can equip it for the next attempt making things easier because you can move around the room pretty much freely and not insta-die to lava.

NBtoaster

MikeE21286 said:
Just beat Taurus Demon this morning

Feelsgoodman.jpg

cant imagine beating him the "right" way

I proud that I beat Taurus the "right" way. I couldn't figure out how to dive attack proprly so I had to fight him man to man at the top of the tower. I think he's still the boss that killed me the most, and I'm in blighttown lol.

Insaniac

test_account said:
Any specific number that would be great? I already have 4 slots of Attunement.

And speaking about pyro, which spells are the best of Combustion, Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat?

Iron Flesh is the best from what I hear, I haven't used it personally. Combustion is great against a lot of the small baddies you encounter, flash sweat is very situational, and I wouldn't waste an attunement slot on it unless you had a bonfire nearby so you could switch it out once you were done with it.

I'd try to get up to 5 attunement slots for now, and run 3 sorc spells, and 2 pyro spells. Crank your intelligence after that

I am level 100 and I have 7 attunement slots. It takes more attunement points each time to get a new slot.

ElFly

bob_arctor said:

Jesus, you have balls. I only rock my sweet zweihander against slower enemies.

Didn't even think to use it against Capra, cause killing the dogs must be done super swiflty as to not get hit by Capra while doing so.

Do you think the Zweihander is viable for the rest of the game? I already enchanted it to +5, and will sooner or later meet the conditions for upgrading it.

scy

Akuun said:
Also, where did you find havel's ring?

Darkroot Basin (i.e., where the
Hydra
is). To the right of that area should be a tower and he's at the base. You can also get down the faster if you started with the Master Key Gift, if I recall.

While you're in the Basin, there's a really good Caster helm worth getting. Kill the Golden Golem at the back of the lake to free Dusk. Go to the shoreline to summon her and then return to where you freed her to get her equipment. The crown is basically like the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring with a passive +Spell Damage boost; works on all spell types, not just Sorceries. The legs there (Antiquated) are also stupidly good for their weight, though uh ... it looks kind of weird on male characters. One of the few hidden things in the game worth getting.

Plus, she also sells Unique Sorcery spells, one of which makes a later area not as stupidly annoying.

Edit:

ElFly said:
Do you think the Zweihander is viable for the rest of the game? I already enchanted it to +5, and will sooner or later meet the conditions for upgrading it.

I like the Claymore a bit more; not as ridiculously slow as the Zweihander and lower requiremen. Zweihander is one of the better two-handed swords, though. It'll serve all game.

Insaniac

Dresden said:
with six slots for spells my Sorceror is running 40 great soul arrows, 10 homing soulmass, 10 crystal homing soulmass, 4 soul spears, 4 crystal soul spears. Once he gets 50 int one of the great soul arrows will get swapped out for White Dragon Breath.

Iron Flesh is a boss killer

Combustion is fast and useful (and cheap)

Flash Sweat is a gimmick spell most of the time

I was dissapointed with white dragon breath. Short range and long cast time. you're better off with something else IMO

Darklord said:
Where is this door? Is it past the dragon>

Its the door thats locked straight in front of you after you beat the tauros demon

MikeE21286 said:
Just beat Taurus Demon this morning

Feelsgoodman.jpg

cant imagine beating him the "right" way
I beat him fighting normally and didn't really think he was too bad. There are far more difficult bosses in the game, that is for sure.

Darklord said:
Where is this door? Is it past the dragon>
No, it's in the area near the sun warrior. It's the first part of the bridge you reach after defeating the Taurus Demon.

QisTopTier said:
22208706_m.jpg

Ok bed time! xD

Is there an HD quality version of this? It's cute, I'm still
sad I had to kill her. Even more sad that I didn't get her dagger too, since that's the only reason I killed her.

Edit: I finally passed the
Anor Lond
snipers/archers. Took out Lautrec, and I'm currently on the way to the boss. I'm thinking it's a good time to run back to the main bonfire and get 10 flasks.

Noaloha

scy said:
Hydra
is). To the right of that area should be a tower and he's at the base. You can also get down the faster if you started with the Master Key Gift, if I recall.
I got my Havel's Ring by another route, after defeating (I think it was) the
Moonlight Butterfly
I was given a key to 'Watchtower Basement'. This turned out to be the
watchtower that you climbed early in the game to reach the Taurus Demon fight - there's a locked door on the floor you enter. Head on inside, down a few circular flights of steps, until you run into an angry lump of lumbering one-shots.

scy

Infernodash said:
Is there an HD quality version of this? It's cute, I'm still
sad I had to kill her. Even more sad that I didn't get her dagger too, since that's the only reason I killed her.

I'm 0/2 on her dagger :/

Toodles said:
Moonlight Butterfly
watchtower that you climbed early in the game to reach the Taurus Demon fight - there's a locked door on the floor you enter. Head on inside, down a few circular flights of steps, until you run into an angry lump of lumbering one-shots..

That should be the same spot I'm talking about. I thought the Watchtower is in the Basin, not the Forest. Been awhile since I've done it and I'm at work currently, lol.

Toodles said:
Moonlight Butterfly
watchtower that you climbed early in the game to reach the Taurus Demon fight - there's a locked door on the floor you enter. Head on inside, down a few circular flights of steps, until you run into an angry lump of lumbering one-shots.
Me too. He completely wrecked me at that early stage of the game. "The Rock" indeed.

Darklord

Banned
Toodles said:
Moonlight Butterfly

Yeah that's what I did. I couldn't beat it so I'd run to the highest point of the stairs I could kick him off from and kept doing that, as he ran back up I'd throw fireballs at it.

Oracle Dragon said:
What was the "wrong" way? (not that there is such a thing in this game ;) )
going up in the ledge above where the undead archers were and jump-attacking off it

Maybe not the "wrong" way, but it seemed to be cheap lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
scy said:
Hydra

While you're in the Basin, there's a really good Caster helm worth getting. Kill the Golden Golem at the back of the lake to free Dusk. Go to the shoreline to summon her and then return to where you freed her to get her equipment. The crown is basically like the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring with a passive +Spell Damage boost; works on all spell types, not just Sorceries. The legs there (Antiquated) are also stupidly good for their weight, though uh ... it looks kind of weird on male characters. One of the few hidden things in the game worth getting.

Plus, she also sells Unique Sorcery spells, one of which makes a later area not as stupidly annoying.

Cool, thanks. And the looking weird part doesn't bother me; When you are an animated corpse, fashion doesn't really factor into things, anyway. XD I swapped in all of my most fire-resistant gear when I fought
Quelagg
, and I looked completely ridiculous because I think I was wearing leather armor for my top and a red skirt for my bottom, BUT IT WORKED, DAMMIT.

scy

Jinfash said:
Reposting this:
I read somewhere that higher Pyromancies do, but I can't confirm it.

I have an SL1 character with GCF and Chaos Storm (the two Covenant ones) available and equippable. There's absolutely no requirements on Pyromancer spells or the Flame itself. It functions completely independently of your stats.

anddo0 said:
Stupid question: the ember you give to the blacksmiths carry over to NG+ right? No need to rediscover?

You need to get them again, but just for the ascension. If you make an Enchanted Weapon +1, for example, you can take it to +5 without the Ember.

Wallachia

Beat Havel the Rock, got the ring, but how do you get his armor? Is it just a rare drop, or will I be able to buy it somewhere later?

PS. His Dragontooth swinging and clanking into the ground (with headphones on) sounds incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom