• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
scy said:
I have an SL1 character with GCF and Chaos Storm (the two Covenant ones) available and equippable. There's absolutely no requirements on Pyromancer spells or the Flame itself. It functions completely independently of your stats.
I knew that Magic Adjust is independent of INT, but that bit about requirements through me off.

Thanks.

(Best class confirmed, again)

EasyMode

Wallachia said:
Beat Havel the Rock, got the ring, but how do you get his armor? Is it just a rare drop, or will I be able to buy it somewhere later?

PS. His Dragontooth swinging and clanking into the ground (with headphones on) sounds incredible.
You'll find his gear later in
Anor Londo
if you look around.

So I'm thinking about trying out pvp, should I try invading a player in Undead Burg? Will it pair me up with someone easy depending on the area? Or is it based off my level?

Wallachia said:
Beat Havel the Rock, got the ring, but how do you get his armor? Is it just a rare drop, or will I be able to buy it somewhere later?

PS. His Dragontooth swinging and clanking into the ground (with headphones on) sounds incredible.

You can find it later in the game. I don't think the guy you beat was actually Havel, IIRC they are "Havel Knights".

Damn, I just downloaded the CE mini-guide, and apparently its an excerpt from the hardcover guide, and looks really nice. To anyone that owns it, is it good? Looks like its pretty packed with information from what I've seen. I might just have to track it down and buy it... Anyone in Canada know where to buy it?

Infernodash said:
Damn... It's a tough tail to get, it's even harder when using a stupid poking spear. I know I should have switch to the Iiato.

I find the tails on the bosses easier to get with a chopping weapon; I prefer a battle axe but anything with a vertical/overhead attack instead of a slash or thrust usually does a good job.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Infernodash said:
So I'm thinking about trying out pvp, should I try invading a player in Undead Burg? Will it pair me up with someone easy depending on the area? Or is it based off my level?

Can you even invade people in Undead Burg?

Finalow

Wallachia said:
from the wiki.
Location: This set of armor is located in Anor Londo, in the basement of the main building leading to Gwyn. On the base floor, there is an illusory wall in a fire place that may be struck and opened, leading to the basement. You'll find several chests in the basement, one containing Havel's full set of armor, and one being a Mimic chest.

Guevara

Wallachia said:

You'll find it all in
Anor Londo

Wallachia

SUBZERO-08 said:
Damn, I just downloaded the CE mini-guide, and apparently its an excerpt from the hardcover guide, and looks really nice. To anyone that owns it, is it good? Looks like its pretty packed with information from what I've seen. I might just have to track it down and buy it... Anyone in Canada know where to buy it?

The guide is an impressive thing to behold. I love it. Its the staple of beauty on my coffee table. So much info and images, for EVERYTHING! I liked seeing the monster names and renders too..

FINALBOSS said:
Can you even invade people in Undead Burg?

I remember being invaded in Undead Burg. I dunno if it was a game specific invasion but I did get owned. From there until maybe the gargoyles I played as a Hollow.

SUBZERO-08 said:
The guide is fantastic. It has basically everything you would need to know and it's very well put together in terms of presentation and layout. I take it on car trips a lot of times while my wife is driving and just study some of the charts and maps.

I'm not in Canada though so I can't help you there.

Oracle Dragon said:
I find the tails on the bosses easier to get with a chopping weapon; I prefer a battle axe but anything with a vertical/overhead attack instead of a slash or thrust usually does a good job.

Thanks for the tip, I never have axes equipped because of their strength requirements, but I'll keep a light one handy now for tail cutting situations.

Wallachia

Infernodash said:
I remember being invaded in Undead Burg. I dunno if it was a game specific invasion but I did get owned. From there until maybe the gargoyles I played as a Hollow.

Lucky, so you are getting invaded/summoning alot? I am reading alot online about how there is half of us who get like 1 summon/invasion in 5 hours, and others that get 5 summons/invasions in 1 hour.

People are saying it is NOT because of NAT Type 1 - 3, since the game is based on servers. So the problem really is with From, that they are supposedly patching.

So why do SOME of you get great online quality? Is it because of geography? Luck? What?

Any IT/Techs on here know more? I want to know if I should invest more hours into my router settings, or just wait for patch?

Wallachia

The_Darkest_Red said:
The guide is fantastic. It has basically everything you would need to know and it's very well put together in terms of presentation and layout. I take it on car trips a lot of times while my wife is driving and just study some of the charts and maps.

I'm not in Canada though so I can't help you there.

Haha, Im going to bring that guide to the restaurant on the next date with my girlfriend ;P Not.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Septimius

Wow. I've been working 7 hours today after 8 hours of sleep after 17 hours of work.

New version has been rolled out, so now I can play Dark Souls, hells yeah! If I don't fall asleep while the game is loading.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thought I'd finish off the Darkroot Gardens, but I'm getting frustrated by the distance from the bonfires to Sif. Is there one anywhere near the boss door? Nearest I can see are at the bottom of darkroot basin, or near the 20k door

Wallachia said:
People are saying it is NOT because of NAT Type 1 - 3, since the game is based on servers. So the problem really is with From, that they are supposedly patching.

I can't comment on the accuracy of the NAT settings, but to the best of my knowledge the game is NOT based on servers but is P2P, meaning the NAT is a very real possibility.

I have my NAT set to open, and I can be summoned without any problems. Man summons I try and perform fail (some do work), but I can only speculate that this is because they have a closed NAT. I'm sure the times I get it to work, we both have open.

Septimius

Wallachia said:
Lucky, so you are getting invaded/summoning alot? I am reading alot online about how there is half of us who get like 1 summon/invasion in 5 hours, and others that get 5 summons/invasions in 1 hour.

So why do SOME of you get great online quality? Is it because of geography? Luck? What?

Any IT/Techs on here know more? I want to know if I should invest more hours into my router settings, or just wait for patch?

Do we know this for sure? I've heard some talks that it's pure P2P.

I don't even have NAT, and I'm not brimming with summons. Well, maybe I am getting 5 an hour when I'm at the right bosses.

My IT-tech skills are guessing you're playing not in the peak of the Gauss-curve of levels for the area you're in, play when the rest of the world is sleeping, have bad luck, or all of the above.

mrklaw said:
thought I'd finish off the Darkroot Gardens, but I'm getting frustrated by the distance from the bonfires to Sif. Is there one anywhere near the boss door? Nearest I can see are at the bottom of darkroot basin, or near the 20k door

Use the 20K door one. Honestly, if you are finding you are having a lot of trouble with Sif join the forest covenent just long enough to kill him. It won't change the distance to run back but it will seem a lot faster because you won't have to fight everyone on your way there. Thats what I did and it was totally worth it.

x3r0123

Oracle Dragon said:
Isn't that only if you take the shortcut and skip some bridges?

no its possible to go way. From the first tomb of the giants bonfire, you go up the ladders and then right. Keep going, stick to the left side and ignore that illusion wall. You will encounter 2 giant skeletons. After that part, there is another set of ladders. Go up and find 2 more giant skeletons. Make your way through that to find more ladders. Keep going to the left and you will find a treasure. From that point, you will see those lights from the beginning of the level.

dash jump
?????
profit

SUBZERO-08 said:

Got mine from Gamestop/EB games.

Basically, I checked their website daily until I saw it listed - went into a physical store and pre-ordered it.

They will only list it on their site if they are selling it / still accepting pre-orders, and they only were doing a limited number of pre-orders, and only getting in what was pre-ordered.

Think I lucked out in getting mine - as I haven't seen it listed on the site outside of the one and only day I noticed it posted.

Septimius

There are some items I can't seem to reach in the beginning of Sen's Fortess. What magic corridors am I missing? I found the guys living in the pool at the basement. All... 5?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've been contributing a bunch of shit to the DkS-Wiki.

This guide fucking owns.

rogerroger22 said:
Got mine from Gamestop/EB games.

Basically, I checked their website daily until I saw it listed - went into a physical store and pre-ordered it.

They will only list it on their site if they are selling it / still accepting pre-orders, and they only were doing a limited number of pre-orders, and only getting in what was pre-ordered.

Think I lucked out in getting mine - as I haven't seen it listed on the site outside of the one and only day I noticed it posted.
Yeah, Amazon.ca and Gamestop/EB don't seem to have it now either. Might order it from EB USA for 14.99 and pay the international shipping fee.

Wallachia said:

Oracle Dragon said:
I have my NAT set to open, and I can be summoned without any problems. Man summons I try and perform fail (some do work), but I can only speculate that this is because they have a closed NAT. I'm sure the times I get it to work, we both have open.

Wallachia, I have a similar situation to Oracle. I don't get invaded as often as 5 times per hour but it was quite a few whenever I was human. My NAT is open type 2, but as often as I can be invaded, it's hell for me to summon someone to help. I go through about three or four signs before anyone actually joins. I dunno if I'm just too slow summoning them or if their NAT is closed.

Wallachia said:
Haha, Im going to bring that guide to the restaurant on the next date with my girlfriend ;P Not.
Girlfriend: "So anyway I was... are you even listening to me?"

Wallachia: "Oh, THAT'S where the freakin' Very Large Ember is!"

Requeim

Just completed the game with my pyromancer turned sorcerer. Final boss died in two perfect hits from my homing crystal soulmass spell, and i stumbled into the bad ending by accident. Going to start a new game now, probably a cleric.

The game felt way easier than Demon's Souls overall, and i don't think the game as a whole is as well designed. This is probably going to be my GOTY (unless Uncharted 3 and Skyrim somehow surpasses it), but i think Demon's Souls is the superior game overall. It is a bit like Sophie's choice though.

scy

Septimius said:
There are some items I can't seem to reach in the beginning of Sen's Fortess. What magic corridors am I missing? I found the guys living in the pool at the basement. All... 5?

Which, in particular? There's the 4 Faceless Demons at the bottom with a ladder that leads up to a body that drops you back down to the start of the Fortress. There's an Illusory door there at the top of the ladder, though all it leads to is another golem.

Besides that, the other two ones I can think of are much further in. The Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring is from dropping down from an upper level and I don't think you can even spot it from the entrance area and the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring is from the destructible wall in the rolling boulder tunnel. At least, I think that's the right body; I keep forgetting to make note of which item is from there :/

Wallachia

The_Darkest_Red said:
Girlfriend: "So anyway I was... are you even listening to me?"

Wallachia: "Oh, THAT'S where the freakin' Very Large Ember is!"

Exactly! "Or she will say, let's go out on the town tonight". And I will say, huh, WHAT!? I am NOT going to Blighttown ever again... oh sorry, you meant go out.. "

;P

Xanathus

Infernodash said:
Damn... It's a tough tail to get, it's even harder when using a stupid poking spear. I know I should have switch to the Iiato.
The trick to hitting her tail is to NOT lock target on her, and instead manually hit her tail from her side since the tail juts out slightly.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
My main problem with summoning/being invaded is that I'm never human lol. I'm too shitty to stay alive and I can't find humanity anywhere. I'm about to start Blightown and I've yet to be invaded and I've only seen 2 summon signs ever, both outside the moon moth. But then again like I said... I've been in hollow form probably 95% of the time. I've probably only gotten 3 or 4 humanity the entire time ive been playing. I've played the entire game single player so far.

Come to think of it I haven't seen very many bloodstains either, maybe a couple. In Demon's Souls it seems like they were everywhere.

Wallachia

Thanks for the Online notes everyone. Interesting that some of you are on NAT Type 2 (open) and still have troubles. As for the server claim, I read that at the www.preparetodie forums..

Sounds like overall, no matter what NAT, people are getting delays and no responses. Plus, like Septimius said, it is probably alot of those in game factors (level, soul level, time of day, etc)

Septimius:
What do you mean a new version is out?

Wallachia

Mattdaddy said:
My main problem with summoning/being invaded is that I'm never human lol. I'm too shitty to stay alive and I can't find humanity anywhere. I'm about to start Blightown and I've yet to be invaded and I've only seen 2 summon signs ever, both outside the moon moth. But then again like I said... I've been in hollow form probably 95% of the time. I've probably only gotten 3 or 4 humanity the entire time ive been playing. I've played the entire game single player so far.

Come to think of it I haven't seen very many bloodstains either, maybe a couple. In Demon's Souls it seems like they were everywhere.

Yeah, lol, but true, hard to stay Human, but try to do that and see how your results are. And remember, YOU can be summoned when you leave your sign down, even if you are in HOLLOW form, and if you help someone and kill the boss with them, you get HUMANITY :)

Yoshichan

sixghost said:
Wikidot is the better of the two. Both vastly inferior to the guide of course.
Nah, it's not :p Sorry.

Has anyone used the true greatsword of artorias? It looks totally bitching and I love the idea of "the legendary sword, reforged!" but its stat requirements are pretty silly and it doesn't even look like its damage output would warrant them.

I still wanna swing that thing around like a boss. Thoughts?

what the...

it took me just about 2 hours to finally kill that stupid
stray demon
and then get twice stun locked by a knight, killed and lost all souls.

i could punch a hole into the next wall

...and then my wife asks me if I am in a bad mood...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom