• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
kingschiebi said:
what the...

it took me just about 2 hours to finally kill that stupid and then get twice stun locked by a knight, killed and lost all souls.

i could punch a hole into the next wall

...and then my wife asks me if I am in a bad mood...

I made it a priority to kill the Knights before taking on the
stray demon
. Sorry to hear that you lost those souls man. It was a cool 20K too.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Wallachia said:
Yeah, lol, but true, hard to stay Human, but try to do that and see how your results are. And remember, YOU can be summoned when you leave your sign down, even if you are in HOLLOW form, and if you help someone and kill the boss with them, you get HUMANITY :)

Oh good god how embarassing... whelp that is a gigantic facepalm of shame on my part.

I have no idea why... but for some reason I was thinking you had to be human to participate in any kind of summoning. Do you also get any share of the souls collected or do they all go to the host?

KAOz

Short bus special
So wait, in order to join the Darkwraith, I can't place the Lordvessel, AT ALL in beforehand!?

Everything I've read about it just said don't talk to You-know-who. Never said I couldn't place the Lordvessel. What the fuck. Really pissed off now. Really really. Fuckshit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
sixghost said:
Nonsense. There are still entire areas that don't even have pages in wikispaces.
Haha, Wikidot ain't better here either (with small parts being non-existent) in a bunch of places. Also, the design is outrageously bad ._.

KAOz said:
So wait, in order to join the Darkwraith, I can't place the Lordvessel, AT ALL in beforehand!?

Everything I've read about it just said don't talk to You-know-who. Never said I couldn't place the Lordvessel. What the fuck. Really pissed off now. Really really. Fuckshit.

You do place the lordvessel... you just place it with someone other than
Frampton

kyubajin

8 and a half hours in. Took me about 5 deaths to best Capra Demon. I'm absolutely loving the Depths. Made it to Gaping Dragon... It crushed me. Wearing Elite Soldier armour, Crystal Sword and heavy xbow. Any non spoilery hints to defeat the demon? Where can I buy heavy bolts?

Not using wikis or guides and damn is this game hard!

Wallachia

Mattdaddy said:
Oh good god how embarassing... whelp that is a gigantic facepalm of shame on my part.

I have no idea why... but for some reason I was thinking you had to be human to participate in any kind of summoning. Do you also get any share of the souls collected or do they all go to the host?

No, its not you. The game doesn't really do a good job of explaining. But try laying down summon signs. Let me know if anyone joins. What level are you? We could try to coordinate..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dave Inc. said:
It was good enough for Demon's Souls. It's good enough for Dark Souls.

So there.
When you put it that way, I guess you're right :p

Oh well, the only time I'll be opening any of the Wiki-pages will be when I contribute from the guide. When I need to know something, the guide + GAF covers me up 99.9% of the time!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
kingschiebi said:
what the...

it took me just about 2 hours to finally kill that stupid
stray demon
and then get twice stun locked by a knight, killed and lost all souls.

i could punch a hole into the next wall

...and then my wife asks me if I am in a bad mood...

Dude that sucks.... I died probably 50 times trying to kill that thing... I feel for you.

Infernodash said:
I made it a priority to kill the Knights before taking on the
stray demon
. Sorry to hear that you lost those souls man. It was a cool 20K too.

Didn't even know that there was another knight and when I tried to approach him the other way around he still noticed me immediatly.

I'll calm down eventually, but man, that was the first time that made me almost throw a controller since 25 years. Not even Ninja Gaiden managed to do that, so I've got to say "hats off" to From Software.

that is the diplomatic statement

frequency

kyubajin said:
8 and a half hours in. Took me about 5 deaths to best Capra Demon. I'm absolutely loving the Depths. Made it to Gaping Dragon... It crushed me. Wearing Elite Soldier armour, Crystal Sword and heavy xbow. Any non spoilery hints to defeat the demon? Where can I buy heavy bolts?

Not using wikis or guides and damn is this game hard!
Only spoilering in case someone doesn't want to see a strategy or whatever. Also, I don't know what non-spoilery means in this case.
I just kept circling behind him and he couldn't hit me. I put up my shield if I see his tail swinging but that became a non-issue after I cut it off. When he got to low health he did this AoE thing (I won't say what it is), but it was easy enough to just run backwards to avoid it.

scy

KAOz said:

Well, talking to
Frampt
is what takes you to where you place it. Likewise,
Kaathe
takes you there and that's the requirement to get him to talk about the Drakwraith Covenant. You lose that option when you place the
Lordvessel
... since they have no reason to take you there.

It gets shorthanded a lot but the reason it's said to not speak to
Frampt
is since he just sort of hauls your ass off when you talk to him after obtaining the
Lordvessel

kingschiebi said:
Didn't even know that there was another knight and when I tried to approach him the other way around he still noticed me immediatly.

I'll calm down eventually, but man, that was the first time that made me almost throw a controller since 25 years. Not even Ninja Gaiden managed to do that, so I've got to say "hats off" to From Software.

that is the diplomatic statement

Trust me, you'll have a few more of those moments. I almost snapped my controller in half yesterday. Guidance on here helped me to pass it though, so I'm glad I didn't snap the controller in the end... But I wanted to, believe me.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Wallachia said:
No, its not you. The game doesn't really do a good job of explaining. But try laying down summon signs. Let me know if anyone joins. What level are you? We could try to coordinate..

I'm think I'm about level 27 right now... have to check for sure when I get home but in that area.

Yoshichan

Did I glitch the game again? Asylum spoilers:
As I fell down the ground, I landed directly upon the demons' body. I'm almost 99% sure that his spawning location isn't anywhere near where you land?

Guevara

Yoshichan said:
Did I glitch the game again? Asylum spoilers:
As I fell down the ground, I landed directly upon the demons' body. I'm almost 99% sure that his spawning location isn't anywhere near where you land?
I tried that fight a few times last night, I was trying to land on him so I could do the downward strike off the bat but no luck.

Darklord

Banned
Fuck, just lost 7300 souls because I kept falling down holes in the depths. :\

Where's the bonfire there?

Edit: AND I'M CURSED? HALF HP? GOD. WTB PURGING STONE. Where do I buy one?!

Yoshichan

Guevara said:
I tried that fight a few times last night, I was trying to land on him so I could do the downward strike off the bat but no luck.
I wish I was ready with the plunging attack though :lol It got me completely off guard!
Darklord said:
Edit: AND I'M CURSED? HALF HP? GOD. WTB PURGING STONE
Trade with the crow back in the Asylum :D?

kyubajin

frequency said:
Only spoilering in case someone doesn't want to see a strategy or whatever. Also, I don't know what non-spoilery means in this case.
I just kept circling behind him and he couldn't hit me. I put up my shield if I see his tail swinging but that became a non-issue after I cut it off. When he got to low health he did this AoE thing (I won't say what it is), but it was easy enough to just run backwards to avoid it.
Thanks, didn't know
the tail could be cut off

Is there anywhere where I can get heavy bolts?

vilmer_

Darklord said:
Fuck, just lost 7300 souls because I kept falling down holes in the depths. :\

Where's the bonfire there?

Edit: AND I'M CURSED? HALF HP? GOD.

The bonfire is through a locked door in the long hallway with all the slimes on the ceiling. The key is in the room with the giant rat. Have fun ;)

K' Dash

Guevara said:

That fucker made me his bitch like 10 times, then I just left defeated, when I get a super powerful weapon I'll fuck him up.

KAOz

Short bus special
quinntendopower said:
i was able to join the darkwraiths before i finished the game

i think if you go back there before the end, he will ask if you want to be in on that shit.

What?

After placing the Lordvessel and everything?

BeeDog

Gaping Dragon is an unbelievable pushover on NG+. In fact, certain regular enemies are more painful to battle than some of the bosses. Capra Demon was also pretty damn easy on NG+.

Wallachia

Mattdaddy said:
I'm think I'm about level 27 right now... have to check for sure when I get home but in that area.

Cool, I am around 33. SO we are close enough. Msg me on PSN later when you are on, we can try to use the same summon spot and meet up on a level. I've been wanting to try/test that. You would have to be HUMAN, and put a summon sign in a level that you have NOT beat the boss in yet, and I can go there and be summoned to help.

PSN: Untaken1

Guevara

BeeDog said:
Gaping Dragon is an unbelievable pushover on NG+. In fact, certain regular enemies are more painful to battle than some of the bosses. Capra Demon was also pretty damn easy on NG+.
In my mind those are both strategic fights, not DPS races. Once you can beat the Capra Demon once, it's a piece of cake forever. Once I learned the Gaping Demon's routine he (she?) never hit me once.

Yoshichan

Darklord said:
Seriously? :|
Give her a Cracked Red Eye Orb and you'll get two Purging Stones!

Dresden

I wish the curse stacked in the Depths again, people who can't roll out of giant evil gas clouds need to be punished harder.

redhot_

BeeDog said:

Everything is a joke once your past your first play through and have got all the good upgrades and spells. Far easier then Demon's Souls imo.

Yoshichan

x3r0123 said:
one time use per playthrough only
Yep, but I'm pretty damn sure he doesn't need more than two per run :p

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Wallachia said:
Cool, I am around 33. SO we are close enough. Msg me on PSN later when you are on, we can try to use the same summon spot and meet up on a level. I've been wanting to try/test that. You would have to be HUMAN, and put a summon sign in a level that you have NOT beat the boss in yet, and I can go there and be summoned to help.

PSN: Untaken1

Ok cool, I need to drum up some humanity then we can give it a shot.

x3r0123

meh, online still sucks. I put down a sign just outside of anor londo boss and nothing

Yoshichan said:
Yep, but I'm pretty damn sure he doesn't need more than two per run :p

who knows, maybe he gets cursed again after he used all his purge stones

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Darklord said:
Capra Demon was by far the easiest boss I've fought so far.

If you can survive the first 10 seconds, it's not hard at all whatsoever. Surviving the first 10 seconds is a lot easier if you know what to expect.

vilmer_

x3r0123 said:
meh, online still sucks. I put down a sign just outside of anor londo boss and nothing

Try walking back to where the summon stone disappears. Then walk forward and try and put it down again - this apparently switches servers.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm about to face the ghosts for the first time. What's the best strategy to face them, real curse or transient curse?

And how long does the latter last, and how many do I need?

Yoshichan

x3r0123 said:
who knows, maybe he gets cursed again after he used all his purge stones
At that point, you deserve to run around with 50% health - Demon's Souls style.
Jinfash said:
The consumable curse-item stays for 5 minutes. I managed to loot and kill everything with 2 of them used.

x3r0123

vilmer_ said:
Try walking back to where the summon stone disappears. Then walk forward and try and put it down again - this apparently switches servers.

thanks, i will try that

Jinfash said:
I'm about to face the ghosts for the first time. What's the best strategy to face them, real curse or transient curse?

bring about 6 because each of them last for a good while

Dever

Banned
Jinfash said:

They last for quite a while, and you can find some in the beginning of the level, just before the bridge. The ghosts also drop them from time to time. I don't think I ever had more than 5 on me.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Jinfash said:

Get cursed, it makes your first trip through all the easier.. once you get the shortcuts unlocked and all that, then purge and use transient if needed or just run back to the fog gate.

..but being cursed is by far the best method when you start that zone.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What's the next area after killing the gargoyal boss? Do you have kill Havel the Rock? he keeps one-shotting me

Darklord

Banned
commish said:
If you can survive the first 10 seconds, it's not hard at all whatsoever. Surviving the first 10 seconds is a lot easier if you know what to expect.

What's the first 10 seconds? I just auto block and roll when I see a big dude.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
commish said:

He's easy as pie once the dogs are gone, and you can cheese the fuck out of him from the ledge. It's just getting lucky to get by him the 1st time to fuck up the dogs.

He's cake once the dogs are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom