• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

John Harker said:
What's the next area after killing the gargoyal boss? Do you have kill Havel the Rock? he keeps one-shotting me
you never need to fight him, but he's absolutely worth it.

EDIT: after you ring the bell, work your way down through Lower Undead Berg using your new key on a locked door by the red dragon

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
John Harker said:
What's the next area after killing the gargoyal boss? Do you have kill Havel the Rock? he keeps one-shotting me

Head back down where Solaire was and go in the locked door and head down. It'll all make sense then.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
John Harker said:
Every door you open with the Master Key leads to trouble (and is mostly optional) unless you're very skilled in combat :).

Darklord

Banned
John Harker said:

Run up the stairs, kick him off. Repeat. Take note of his stance as it chances when he is about to one shot. Bait and roll when he does.

Zzoram

finalozzo said:
it's very easy, like running for 5 seconds.

Did it, Nito's toast.

5 Chaos Fireballs, 1 Homing Soul Mass (not sure how many of the arrows even hit him), and 1 Soul Spear later he was dead.

Oh, and I Iron Skinned myself before the fight of course.

deim0s

Jinfash said:
I'm about to face the ghosts for the first time. What's the best strategy to face them, real curse or transient curse?

And how long does the latter last, and how many do I need?
Transients lasts around 3-5 minutes.

Wow. Need to upgrade my weapons really bad. Ornstein and Smough... Well powered up Orstein is tough with a +1 katana and +3 spears. :/ do they have weaknesses to lightning? Any tips?

kodt

Banned
deim0s said:

Wow. Need to upgrade my weapons really bad. Ornstein and Smough... Well powered up Orstein is tough with a +1 katana and +3 spears. :/ do they have weaknesses to lightning?

I think they have protection from lightning.

Zzoram

deim0s said:

Wow. Need to upgrade my weapons really bad. Ornstein and Smough... Well powered up Orstein is tough with a +1 katana and +3 spears. :/ do they have weaknesses to lightning? Any tips?

Despite all the IGN and other videos of people using lightning weapons during that fight, they are actually resistant to lightning so don't use it. I think fire is better for that fight.

John Harker said:

Havel is worth the effort - the ring is invaluable, especially before you get your endurance leveled up.

With Havel, I found the best tactic was to keep it simple.

Strip down to under 25% equip load, or be naked - he's probably going to one shot you anyways if anything connects.

Circle around him trying to lure out his big forward slam - jump back when you see him doing this. When he's recovering, slip in for 1 or 2 hits - then move back. Don't get cocky and try to sneak in even more hits.

It took me about a dozen shots to get him - any time I tried to get 'fancy' with my tactic I'd die. When I finally decided to keep it to the above - made steady progress chipping down his HP and finally beat him.

scaffa

Currently i'm in Anor Lando and just finished the fight with
Latrec
and I think I really got lucky in doing so. But anyway I think I hit a huge wall now and thats with the fight with
Ornstein and Smough
. I'm SL58 and I have a feeling I'm way underpowered. I focussed on Dex, Vit and End. I'm wielding the Lightning Spear +1 and I also have the Iaito +2 Divine. I suck in upgrading my gear and weapons so I don't even know which armor to use, trying not to read alot of info/faqs but I sure do need it now.

Is there a way for me to get out of Anor Lando? And any suggestions which type of armor is best suited for me to upgrade?

x3r0123

Zotty said:
Latrec
and I think I really got lucky in doing so. But anyway I think I hit a huge wall now and thats with the fight with
Ornstein and Smough
. I'm SL58 and I have a feeling I'm way underpowered. I focussed on Dex, Vit and End. I'm wielding the Lightning Spear +1 and I also have the Iaito +2 Divine. I suck in upgrading my gear and weapons so I don't even know which armor to use, trying not to read alot of info/faqs but I sure do need it now.

Is there a way for me to get out of Anor Lando? And any suggestions which type of armor is best suited for me to upgrade?

i did it just fine and i'm SL55. I could practically do it at SL40 or so

Septimius

Wallachia said:
Thanks for the Online notes everyone. Interesting that some of you are on NAT Type 2 (open) and still have troubles. As for the server claim, I read that at the www.preparetodie forums..

Sounds like overall, no matter what NAT, people are getting delays and no responses. Plus, like Septimius said, it is probably alot of those in game factors (level, soul level, time of day, etc)

Septimius:
What do you mean a new version is out?

Huh? What do you mean?

scy

kodt said:
I think they have protection from lightning.

Smough basically gets destroyed from every element, though I think he's actually weak to Lightning; Ornstein doesn't seem to resist it spectacularly (which is ... odd), though he's weak to Fire.

@Havel's Ring - Dark Wood Grain Ring is arguably better depending on your goal. Since it makes 0%-50% Equip Load all get treated as <25% for maximum movement and flipping, it gives you a wider range of Equip Load tolerance for maximum speed; Havel's is better suited if you need it to stay under 50%.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Zzoram said:
Despite all the IGN and other videos of people using lightning weapons during that fight, they are actually resistant to lightning so don't use it. I think fire is better for that fight.

Yeah, lightning isn't the element of choice. I've tried fire in subsequent kills, and it's better, but my raw weapon gave me the most damage on them.

I'm pretty sure that all of the "invasions/non-invasion" and "summon sign availability" woes have to do with how the covenant system works.

Septimius

Does anyone know if you can put on a ring of sacrifice when you're attempting to reclaim souls and your bloodstain won't disappear if you die? Cause I used it like that when I had to navigate through Sen's to get back 150k souls. Certainly took the edge off

vilmer_

ssolitare said:
I'm pretty sure that all of the "invasions/non-invasion" and "summon sign availability" woes have to do with how the covenant system works.

I think so as well. I wouldn't have become a Darkwraith if I knew I would be constantly fighting pvp pros from Japan :lol

Guevara

deim0s said:
Zotty said:
Latrec
Ornstein and Smough
. I'm SL58 and I have a feeling I'm way underpowered. I focussed on Dex, Vit and End. I'm wielding the Lightning Spear +1 and I also have the Iaito +2 Divine.
I'm at the same spot, level 40 but lightning spear +3. I feel like I could win this fight, but it's really tough and my gear isn't cutting it. Obviously I'm not alone. What are O&S weak/strong to? Is there a better strategy here?

deim0s

commish said:
Yeah, lightning isn't the element of choice. I've tried fire in subsequent kills, and it's better, but my raw weapon gave me the most damage on them.
Thinking of a faster weapon than my BK sword to face the saiyan Ornstein. Off to the smithy I go.

Dever

Banned
Guevara said:
I'm at the same spot, level 40 but lightning spear +3. I feel like I could win this fight, but it's really tough and my gear isn't cutting it. Obviously I'm not alone. What are O&S weak/strong to? Is there a better strategy here?

Kill Ornstein first, the fight is much easier that way. Although I guess the order in which you kill them affects the loot you can get afterwards

Zzoram

Apparently if you're with the way of the white, you almost never get invaded, but are more likely to see white phantom summon signs within your covenant. It's a perk of the covenant.

Ok, dragon on the bridge.

1st game I could cheese him w/ arrows.

Now in NG+, he heals himself constantly. I can't fight him on foot b/c he owns me and if I go on the tower where the knight was he's not on his perch anymore.

How the hell can I kill him?

scy

Guevara said:

The fight is rough if they swarm you (well, if Ornstein swarms you); Smough doesn't really do too much. I like taking Smough down first but Ornstein then Smough is a lot easier. Weakness wise, both should take extra damage from Occult, Ornstein is weak to Fire, and Smough is seemingly weak to basically everything non-physical.

Basically, at the start of the fight,
be prepared to block. Ornstein's first attack is random so just be prepared to see his quick step to lunge. Just circle strafe the room and pay attention to where the two of them are in relation to each other. I do relatively tight circles and wait behind broken pillars to try to bunch them up. Once they're pretty close, just approach and block whatever Smough does and try to position yourself so Ornstein is on the opposite side of you (i.e., behind Smough). Swing a few times and then get back to the defensive. If you're using a Spear or Rapier weapons and can poke with your shield up, all the better; just walk up and poke whenever you can once or twice. Ornstein can't do much when he's stuck behind Smough.

The second half of the fight isn't too bad since
Berserked Ornstein swings pretty wide on his spear combo. Just be careful of his two lunges (regular and the charged one) and his bolts hurt if he shoots them off at you. Anything truly dangerous from him is telegraphed with him charging up, though, so you can hide behind a pillar in time typically.

And if you can't fully block their hits, come back with either a better Stability Shield or more Endurance. Or both.

Dresden

demosthenes said:

Now in NG+, he heals himself constantly. I can't fight him on foot b/c he owns me and if I go on the tower where the knight was he's not on his perch anymore.

Did you find a way out of the Tomb? Just curious.

I can't get summoned for co-op or find anyone with the Blue eye orb but apparently I can get summoned by the Darkmoon covenant ring to invade what seems like higher level players that usually have a buddy with them. Just great.

Zzoram said:
Apparently if you're with the way of the white, you almost never get invaded, but are more likely to see white phantom summon signs within your covenant. It's a perk of the covenant.
I think Way of White, Princess' Guard and Warriors of Sunlight all have good chances of getting summoned or seeing summon signs from each other.

Guevara

scy said:
The fight is rough if they swarm you (well, if Ornstein swarms you); Smough doesn't really do too much. I like taking Smough down first but Ornstein then Smough is a lot easier. Weakness wise, both should take extra damage from Occult, Ornstein is weak to Fire, and Smough is seemingly weak to basically everything non-physical.

Basically, at the start of the fight,
be prepared to block. Ornstein's first attack is random so just be prepared to see his quick step to lunge. Just circle strafe the room and pay attention to where the two of them are in relation to each other. I do relatively tight circles and wait behind broken pillars to try to bunch them up. Once they're pretty close, just approach and block whatever Smough does and try to position yourself so Ornstein is on the opposite side of you (i.e., behind Smough). Swing a few times and then get back to the defensive. If you're using a Spear or Rapier weapons and can poke with your shield up, all the better; just walk up and poke whenever you can once or twice. Ornstein can't do much when he's stuck behind Smough.

The second half of the fight isn't too bad since
Berserked Ornstein swings pretty wide on his spear combo. Just be careful of his two lunges (regular and the charged one) and his bolts hurt if he shoots them off at you. Anything truly dangerous from him is telegraphed with him charging up, though, so you can hide behind a pillar in time typically.

And if you can't fully block their hits, come back with either a better Stability Shield or more Endurance. Or both.
Thanks, every time I die it's because Ornstein hits me through Smough which is lame. your strategy sounds right and I don't really care about Ornstein's armor.

Seeing so many player ghosts by the Firelink Shrine bonfire obviously using the unlimited souls glitch. Kinda funny seeing them, hands on the side of their heads, all squat.

Had some encounters with Ornstein and Smough as a phantom, we have never been succedfull. Is it better to kill one over the other at the first stage of the fight?

2AdEPT

2AdEPT said:
My test was done at a low level, like 15 maybe, definitely with dragon crest for magic power boost as I just got the other one at level 50.

1.) sit at fire at Firelink - no ring, kill first hollow up the path to Burg. Shoot pyro - 200 or so damage. dead in one shot.
2.) go back try again, same damage this time with ring.
3,) same for magic

The difference was 50 points...like 130 vs. 180 with magic, no diff for pyro...hadn't upgraded glove yet. NOt sure what to think?

Cancel this......I did another "test" similar to this at a high level now and the dragon crest rign definitely helps....sorry for the confusion.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
I just co-oped with a dude last night that had a hat like yuria's witch hat and a sweet triple crossbow thing! I've never seen this stuff; where can you get it?

scy

Guevara said:
Thanks, every time I die it's because Ornstein hits me through Smough which is lame. your strategy sounds right and I don't really care about Ornstein's armor.

Well, if you don't care about the armor, you can widen the circle strafing a lot more and just beat on Ornstein when he inevitably charges into you away from Smough.
Berserked Smough I haven't fought yet but I can't imagine him being that bad of a fight, short of him hurting for a lot more if he ever connects.

J2d

God I hate the last boss, three block and my stamina bar is fucked, two hits and I'm pretty much dead. The fucker never lets up either.

I wish I could get iron flesh but From Software is fucking retarded. If there is one thing I hate about this series it's that I have to pretty much spend 10% of the experience googling shit argh..

yeb

demosthenes said:
Yup! That's how I'm at the dragon now!
What exactly did you do to get out? I took a shortcut in the Catacombs and when I tried returning from the back side of the fog door, the bridge wasn't flipped and I thought I was stuck. Luckily I only visited the first bonfire, but I assumed I would have been screwed if I visited the bonfire in the Tomb.

test_account

XP-39C²
Insaniac said:
Iron Flesh is the best from what I hear, I haven't used it personally. Combustion is great against a lot of the small baddies you encounter, flash sweat is very situational, and I wouldn't waste an attunement slot on it unless you had a bonfire nearby so you could switch it out once you were done with it.

I'd try to get up to 5 attunement slots for now, and run 3 sorc spells, and 2 pyro spells. Crank your intelligence after that

I am level 100 and I have 7 attunement slots. It takes more attunement points each time to get a new slot.
Thanks for the info :) I've gotten up to 5 Attunement slots now. I probably stay there a bit now and focus on upgrading Intelligence some more =)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
J2d said:
God I hate the last boss, three block and my stamina bar is fucked, two hits and I'm pretty much dead. The fucker never lets up either.

I wish I could get iron flesh but From Software is fucking retarded. If there is one thing I hate about this series it's that I have to pretty much spend 10% of the experience googling shit argh..
Parry, stab, parry, stab, parry, stab.

Final battle spoilers!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5b6cQjqpEk

GEEEEGEEEE!

SpokkX

So..beat the last boss

Loved it but... The last areas of the game felt really rushed and frankly cheap and underworked. Also the framerate went totally own the drain in some later levels. Blight town level fps

The game is amazingly designed gameplay wise and the world is just so well realized. It just feels like the game was not really complete and could have used another 6 months.

Sad to see such wasted potential here, game is still good but it could have been one of the best games ever :(

blackflag

KoreanBarbecue said:
Seeing so many player ghosts by the Firelink Shrine bonfire obviously using the unlimited souls glitch. Kinda funny seeing them, hands on the side of their heads, all squat.

Yeah I see it too. I actually want to try this on a new character. I don't want to ruin the one I use now. I'd just like to get to max for some pvp with the other maxed glitchers. I guess I'd have to play through the game again with new character through blighttown at least.

FreeMufasa

Finally beat the boss of Tomb of the Giants. Summoned some dude who finished it in 3 hits. Dissapointing since I could have beaten it if it wasn't for those damned skeletons. All I wanted was a distraction really.

So i've beaten that boss, Anor Londo, both bosses in the Demon's Cave. I'm guessing there's not much left now. 4 Kings fucked me up when I tried to fight him earlier so is there anything else I can do?

yeb said:
What exactly did you do to get out? I took a shortcut in the Catacombs and when I tried returning from the back side of the fog door, the bridge wasn't flipped and I thought I was stuck. Luckily I only visited the first bonfire, but I assumed I would have been screwed if I visited the bonfire in the Tomb.

You can knock a wall down right by that bridge that is spiked and go from there :)

2AdEPT

demosthenes said:

In the first run through while under the bridge I was after his tail with arrows but noticed that the tail does swing down awful close to the ledge....was chicken to try a weapon for fear of falling off,
but he died real quick with about 10-15 regulasr spam arrows and then I swithced ot heavy and he died with one more direct hit with the heavy arrow when his tail was in front of my face......
I really doubt we are supposed to go this enemy face to face....but could be wrong.

x3r0123

demosthenes said:

you can easily kill it with dragonslayer bow.....

Cardshark950 said:
I've tried with the Lightning Spear +5 and Queelag's Furysword +4. Those are my best weapons.

Are you taking too much damage?

I wore stone helmet/stone armor with gold hemmed gauntlets and leggings and had Havel's ring on so I could move quick. 2 handed lightning spear +5 to the face until it died, heal, spin around, run to next king...

x3r0123 said:
you can easily kill it with dragonslayer bow.....

From what I've read, you can guarantee the dragon will appear visible from black knight tower by resting at the bonfire in the building with blacksmith, then running back to the black knight tower.

Worked for me in first playthrough.

--

Where's the best place to farm red chunks?
Blue chunks is probably the crystal garden outside Duke's Archives, right?
What about titanite chunks? Am I suck with darkwraiths on that one?

scy said:
Well, if you don't care about the armor, you can widen the circle strafing a lot more and just beat on Ornstein when he inevitably charges into you away from Smough.
Berserked Smough I haven't fought yet but I can't imagine him being that bad of a fight, short of him hurting for a lot more if he ever connects.
Berserked
Smough
was way easier than
Orenstein
for me.

Yoshichan

Aguirre said:
entering blight town for the first time at level 32. is this good enough?
Yep, it's more than fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom