• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oracle Dragon said:
Did they patch the infinite souls glitch? It still works, but it certainly isn't infinite. You can use the item many times but then it stops. For example I was able to turn a boss soul into 750, 000 souls but it didn't keep going forever. It stopped working even though I was holding down the button.

were you using a stamina ring or shield? You need one of those to keep it going forever

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oracle Dragon said:
Did they patch the infinite souls glitch? It still works, but it certainly isn't infinite. You can use the item many times but then it stops. For example I was able to turn a boss soul into 750, 000 souls but it didn't keep going forever. It stopped working even though I was holding down the button.
did you run out of stamina? There is a reason why they use the stam shield or ring

Hey guys at the top of Sen's Fortess there is a walkway to a small room with a table and three chairs - various messages are on the ground like "sorrow" and such however the room is empty for me. Am I missing something?

Ill Saint

What's with all the Tomb of Giants hate? I really liked that area. I thought the near darkness was an interesting switch-up, and made for a very tense negotiation. I also loved how finding the
skull lantern and holding it up illuminated the way. Wonderful! And seeing Demon Ruins and Ash Lake from there was really cool.

Crystal Cave is another that mystifies me. It's too short to be any real bother, and the
invisible walkways
become obvious if you pay attention to the audio and visual clues. Plus it's quite beautiful.

Ash Lake is just gorgeous and feels so surreal, like reaching the end of the world.

I haven't explored Lost Izalith yet, I saw the first mob of enemies and ran back, so can't judge yet. But I haven't been disappointed by the end game at all so far.

ultron87

Beat the Centipede Demon.

Went to Lost Izalith. Got
stomped on by lower halves of Zombie t-rexes.

I think I might save that for later.

Booshka

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Any word on the best sword in the game? I use queelags fury sword, dragon tooth and the lightning spear.
Gravelord Sword is very good, and the Black Knight Greatsword is good as well. Lightning+5 on Iaito and Washing Pole is also a great weapon. I haven't messed around with the magic scaled swords though, my magic stats are very low. I guess if you had a fully maxed Chaos blade with 10 Humanity that would be great as well, but that is a lot of conditions to be met.

My vote for best weapon in the game goes to the Black Knight Great Axe at +5 though. So much damage, and the R1 sweep attack takes very little stamina, is pretty quick and covers a wide area, fog ring doesn't even work against it.

sixghost

ultron87 said:
Beat the Centipede Demon.

Went to Lost Izalith. Got
stomped on by lower halves of Zombie t-rexes.

I think I might save that for later.
Wait til you run into the other halves of those t-rex.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
JVIDICAN said:
If he's left alive, I think its unavoidable. But that event is the only way to eventually obtain his armor, and
restore the fire keepers speech
tokkun said:
I think it's just the Daughters of Chaos & Eiyingi. You run into Daughters of Chaos later.

Yes, by killing him. But I recommend that you let it play out.
corrosivefrost said:
Yes. Eingyi and Quelaag's sister is all. Other egg people are fine.
In fact, attack one and let it grab you and plant a maggot in your head. You'll develop an egg head. Then talk to Eingyi -- he'll give you a free cure and decide to sell you toxic and poison mist spells.

The only other one really obvious one is the Darkmoon one of not entering Gwyndolin's fog; but he tells you that anyway.
Thanks, and zomg at the last spoiler. I must do this!

tokkun

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Any word on the best sword in the game? I use queelags fury sword, dragon tooth and the lightning spear.

That depends on whether you're talking about PvP or PvE. The spears are great PvE weapons but not so good in PvP.

K.Sabot

I feel if the game is making you stop and fear for your life ( Depths, Tomb of the Giants) it's doing something good. Those were my favorite areas in the game because I knew the stakes and I carefully planned and traversed the area in complete and utter fear.

Ken

we.are.the.armada said:
Hey guys at the top of Sen's Fortess there is a walkway to a small room with a table and three chairs - various messages are on the ground like "sorrow" and such however the room is empty for me. Am I missing something?

When I went to the room there was a message that said Tears. I assume it's sadness that there's nothing in the room to pick up?

Grinchy

Banned
we.are.the.armada said:
A family died in there. It's not something you should bring up, dude.

(jk i think people just like to leave messages like this)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
we.are.the.armada said:
If you're human you can summon a phantom in there.

BeeDog

Ill Saint said:
What's with all the Tomb of Giants hate? I really liked that area. I thought the near darkness was an interesting switch-up, and made for a very tense negotiation. I also loved how finding the
skull lantern and holding it up illuminated the way. Wonderful! And seeing Demon Ruins and Ash Lake from there was really cool.

Crystal Cave is another that mystifies me. It's too short to be any real bother, and the
invisible walkways
become obvious if you pay attention to the audio and visual clues. Plus it's quite beautiful.

Ash Lake is just gorgeous and feels so surreal, like reaching the end of the world.

I haven't explored Lost Izalith yet, I saw the first mob of enemies and ran back, so can't judge yet. But I haven't been disappointed by the end game at all so far.

The big problem with late-game areas is that the complexity of them goes down the drain. They become short areas with no real exploration like in, let's say, Undead Burg or any Demon's Souls area. It's almost always a straight path to a fog door.

Aeana

To the sorcerers: what spells were you using around the earlyish game? I just freed Griggs, so now I have 2 soul arrows, heavy soul arrow and great soul arrow equipped. I have the option of great heavy soul arrow, a third soul arrow for a total of 90 charges (seems unnecessary right now), and some other stuff like magic shield and the fall damage one. Also, I expect I will probably consider some pyromancy once I find that trainer but I think I still have a boss between me and that.

Booshka

BeeDog said:
The big problem with late-game areas is that the complexity of them goes down the drain. They become short areas with no real exploration like in, let's say, Undead Burg or any Demon's Souls area. It's almost always a straight path to a fog door.
Yep, the whole interconnected, cleverly woven world theory goes out the window for late game areas, it's just a disconnected area that leads to a dead end with a bonfire you warp from. I guess it was necessary to have some of the fantastical areas, but it gets boring trekking it back to the boss area for repeat attempts, and after you clear the area, you never want to go back, because you would have to go all the way through the level again.

Insaniac

Aeana said:
To the sorcerers: what spells were you using around the earlyish game? I just freed Griggs, so now I have 2 soul arrows, heavy soul arrow and great soul arrow equipped. I have the option of great heavy soul arrow, a third soul arrow for a total of 90 charges (seems unnecessary right now), and some other stuff like magic shield and the fall damage one. Also, I expect I will probably consider some pyromancy once I find that trainer but I think I still have a boss between me and that.

Always pack heavy and great heavy soul arrow, but mainly for bosses, or to oneshot any mini bosses. Really there is no need to have anything else other then all the soul arrow spells

Dresden

Aeana said:
You'll be using regular soul arrows for a long time. If you've just unlocked Griggs, I'd grab the regular soul arrow, the great soul arrows, and the great heavy soul arrows. The great soul arrows will completely replace your regular soul arrows later on, and the great heavy soul arrows are your boss-killers.

The regular magic shield and such aren't that useful, I think. Never found them useful.

Insaniac

Dresden said:
You'll be using regular soul arrows for a long time. If you've just unlocked Griggs, I'd grab the regular soul arrow, the great soul arrows, and the great heavy soul arrows. The great soul arrows will completely replace your regular soul arrows later on, and the great heavy soul arrows are your boss-killers.

The regular magic shield and such aren't that useful, I think. Never found them useful.

oh and farm for that Bellowing Dragoncrest ring ASAP.

ultron87

It annoys me how powerful the Lightning Spear is. I just don't enjoy the attack pattern that much.

Would my Longsword +10 be equally powerful if I get it smithed into Lightning?

Booshka

ultron87 said:
It annoys me how powerful the Lightning Spear is. I just don't enjoy the attack pattern that much.

Would my Longsword +10 be equally powerful if I get it smithed into Lightning?
yes, Lightning spear is just a normal spear already upgraded to lightning, so take any weapon you like, +10 it, then ascend it to lightning, will be awesome all the same.

IrishNinja

1) is there a way to not make the archers in Anor Londo such dicks? i can sprint up to them, but not survive the fight, on the right or the left.

2) so...these blue and green and demon chunks are for the trophies for "best fire", "best magic" etc weapons, presumably. lots of the unique 40 or whatever weapons seem to take boss souls (hence the replays), and i know a lot are drops, but some others are forged right? what im wondering is what particular stones i should expect to farm for this plat.

Kalnos

Banned
IrishNinja said:
1) is there a way to not make the archers in Anor Londo such dicks? i can sprint up to them, but not survive the fight, on the right or the left.

Run up to one, wait until he pulls out his sword and shield, run back down the path. They will follow you but walk off the building.

Kyoufu

Aeana said:
I just bought that! I haven't gotten to try it yet but hopefully it's a significant boost.

If you haven't already, kill Hydra in the lower part of the forest (no key required) and then do the enemy after it, you'll obtain a nifty armour set which includes a head piece that boosts sorcery damage by 20%.

Yeah, starting to think this game just isn't for me. Just waaayyy too sadistic and punishing. I've had roughly 0 fun since I've started. You guys are awesome for stomaching it, but I think I'm bowing out now after the 20th time I've died to a skeleton or a mob of seven Hollow for sneezing the wrong way.

Booshka

Thagomizer said:
Yeah, starting to think this game just isn't for me. Just waaayyy too sadistic and punishing. I've had roughly 0 fun since I've started. You guys are awesome for stomaching it, but I think I'm bowing out now after the 20th time I've died to a skeleton or a mob of seven Hollow for sneezing the wrong way.
Skeletons are too strong for you early in the game, and you need to play slower and "pull" enemies one at a time. You can't take on multiple enemies in this game without a lot of practice and skill. You have to play it a lot slower and more methodical. If you are fighting more than one or two enemies at a time consistently, then you need to change your playstyle and try to lure enemies toward you.

So, do we have any clue on a patch release date? I'm waiting for the patch to start my second play through. As I did my first one completely offline (ran out of XBL Gold) and I figure I shouldn't soil myself with the shitty online experience that DS currently amounts to...

Kyoufu

DeadFalling said:
So, do we have any clue on a patch release date? I'm waiting for the patch to start my second play through. As I did my first one completely offline (ran out of XBL Gold) and I figure I shouldn't soil myself with the shitty online experience that DS currently amounts to...

By the end of the month so a week at most.

Grinchy

Banned
Thagomizer said:
If you are at the beginning of the game and you are running into a graveyard area with skeletons, don't go there anymore. If you are going upwards from Firelink, and those enemies are too tough, definitely take Booshka's advice. Don't fight groups. Block with your shield but keep an eye on your stamina bar. Notice that holding your shield up replenishes this bar slower. You can't just hold it up all the time.

Pumpkins

Thagomizer said:

Try looking for another area. Skeletons aren't good enemies to face when you're starting out.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
huzzah..im finaly at anor londo beating the you know what guys there fairly easily. I dont feel comfy in here. I wanna go back and go to the catacobms. Advice?

Aeana

Kyoufu said:
If you haven't already, kill Hydra in the lower part of the forest (no key required) and then do the enemy after it, you'll obtain a nifty armour set which includes a head piece that boosts sorcery damage by 20%.
How do you get there?

hteng

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
anybody here using the Darksword?

is it worth it?

it's just like any other single hand sword (longsword, bastard sword), but with unique R2 animation. other than that you can upgrade it like using normal titanite shards, then go with +15 or elementals.

i think it's ok, really depends on your playstyle really. i find that NG+ enemies have so much HP single handed swords does not seem to do enough damage.

I'm pretty much end game with just the final boss. I'm killing any NPC and looting their stuff. For now I grinding to get as much humanity as possible to carry it over to NG+ so I can work towards the trophies.

Copied from the community thread, I don't feel comfortable setting out with 5000 souls in tow.

Not to sure what I'm supposed to be doing right now. I just killed the Moonlight Butterfly and got some key.

Also I'm playing a pyro and so far I've been dumping a lot of points into my endurance (it's 17 now) any other stats I should keep an eye on? STR is at 16, DEX 12 VIT 15, everything else is at stock. Is it worth putting points into INT? From what I understand pyro skills don't scale with it.

Kyoufu

Aeana said:
How do you get there?

From the blacksmith, instead of taking the straight path to the farming spot bonfire, take a right when available (where the shining plant is) and you can go down a path. On the way you'll encounter a crystal lizard that you should kill before it escapes and also a Black Knight guarding an item.

At the bottom, before you head to the boss which will be on your left, head right and there will be a bonfire in a cave.

Aeana said:
How do you get there?
Not sure where you are in the game at the moment or what class you started with.

If you had the Master Key, you could take a shortcut near the before you fight the Taurus boss.

However if you don't have the Master Key, you have to take the long way, which is the forest area after meeting the blacksmith.

Kyoufu

toasty_T said:
Copied from the community thread, I don't feel comfortable setting out with 5000 souls in tow.

Not to sure what I'm supposed to be doing right now. I just killed the Moonlight Butterfly and got some key.

Also I'm playing a pyro and so far I've been dumping a lot of points into my endurance (it's 17 now) any other stats I should keep an eye on? STR is at 16, DEX 12 VIT 15, everything else is at stock. Is it worth putting points into INT? From what I understand pyro skills don't scale with it.

Pyro's main stat is DEX, which increases casting times for pyromancy. So get your VIT and DEX up. You can use Power Within for END later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom