• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Nailed Quelaag on my first try in NG+. This game is a breeze so far, feels much easier than Demon's Souls, at least for NG+.

K' Dash

I had to Ascend my Iaito to lightning yesterday, I was having major problems in Anor Londo with the Iaito +10, I hope the patch won't make regret that decision.

K' Dash

toasty_T said:
Will I be able to imbue my weapons with magic/fire/lightning anytime soon? I'm about to go into the depths.

You can do that in the last part of Anor Londo, depends on your build, exploration, experience, maybe like 25hrs?

Ken

K' Dash said:
I had to Ascend my Iaito to lightning yesterday, I was having major problems in Anor Londo with the Iaito +10, I hope the patch won't make regret that decision.
My lightning spear +3 did nothing to giant Ornstein. ]:

what the hell? why are neither of the onion knights at the spot for the end of their questline?

I did all the guy things, and got him to appear in lost izalith... i had talked to the chick beforehand and answered yes both time. last time she apologized for her dad being a pain in my ass at firelink. I then went to lost izalith, found dad, killed all but one squid, talked to him and he jumped down. i then killed the other squid while he was attacking it... but now I can't find either of them, especially not at ash lake where they're supposed to be. :(

toasty_T said:
Will I be able to imbue my weapons with magic/fire/lightning anytime soon? I'm about to go into the depths.

Lightning needs to wait until you find the blacksmith in anor londo.
Fire can be done at the blacksmith in the catacombs.
Magic can be done at the blacksmith in the cell at the beginning of new londo ruins.

If you have green titanite shards, you can go get magic right now and push it to +5.

FrankT

corrosivefrost said:
what the hell? why are neither of the onion knights at the spot for the end of their questline?

I did all the guy things, and got him to appear in lost izalith... i had talked to the chick beforehand and answered yes both time. last time she apologized for her dad being a pain in my ass at firelink. I then went to lost izalith, found dad, killed all but one squid, talked to him and he jumped down. i then killed the other squid while he was attacking it... but now I can't find either of them, especially not at ash lake where they're supposed to be. :(

I talked to him after the battle and then talked to her again iirc after that at Firelink. Then went to Ash.

Futureman

I started with Deprived class as the guy looked so funny. Bad idea? Is this hard mode or something?

Only 10 min in. Just start over?

Taoofberg

Since I've been stuck on
Lord Gwyn
for the past couple of days, I've just been messing around.

Found the painted world, which has since become my favorite level. Murdered the Giant and Skeleton blacksmiths, Big Hat, and the priest at Firelink. Killed Knight Solaire, as he seemed pretty insane at that point. Opened my first attunement slot at SL 83, and cast my first miracle, ever. I've even helped other people defeat Gwyn so I can have more time to learn his patterns.

I'm shocked by the amount of things I missed and I don't know if I would be more or less surprised if there were other areas I haven't seen yet.

K' Dash said:
You can do that in the last part of Anor Londo, depends on your build, exploration, experience, maybe like 25hrs?

Shit, that's a ways off. I started pumping points into INT since I've been completely ignoring it so far.

The stat scaling in this game is throwing me off though. If I'm using an enchanted weapon (poles are what I'm leaning towards) it scales directly from INT but until I get that done it's scales off of DEX. How do I know when to stop putting points into DEX? Do imbued weapons have an INT requirement?

Dyno

Futureman said:
I started with Deprived class as the guy looked so funny. Bad idea? Is this hard mode or something?

I'm doing it and having a good time with it. Your guy is well rounded, easy to upgrade to use different weapons, and quite survivable. The club you start with is actually a good scaling weapon (provided you give the Strength score some love.)

Forgive me for reposted my post but the pages move so fast and I really wanted to get peoples advice on what magic type to focus on.

Dyno said:
Some character building advice from you advanced Dark Souls players would be appreciated here...

I'm a Level 25 Deprived with 24 Str, 15 Dex, 12 End & Vit, and the standard 11 in everything else. I have been playing around with whatever weapons I find but just keep coming back to my starting club which has A - rate for Strength. I'm just rocking the Club +5 and a Hollow Shield +5. It's been a challenge but I've defeated everything thrown at me including Black Knights.

I have cleared out the Undead Parish and Darkroot Garden. All the shortcuts in and around Firelink Shrine have been opened. I am half way through the Undead Basement but took a break because it is time for magic!

I'm going to buy my first spell but it kind of sets the course for my character. I have access to Miracles and Sorcery at the Firelink Shrine. Haven't met a Pyromancer yet. What do you think would work well with a weapon & shield type fighter? Miracles have some interesting stuff, Faith weapons lean towards strong characters and they are helpful versus various foes. Sorcery on the other hand gives decent ranged attacks - something I utterly lack.

I played a Miracle-backed fighter in Demon's Souls so I wouldn't mind a change. The thing is I have the Divine Ember for Faith weapons and the catacombs (which I was repelled from) is in my future.

K' Dash

Futureman said:
K.

Got this at Redbox. What's the easiest class to start with?

people roll with pyro and I think it's best to do so if this is your first time with Souls.

Just don't do melee only like me, you might regret it later.

krakov

Futureman said:

You miss out on some starting gear, that is pretty much all. The classes are all the same except for what they come equipped with, starting stats and starting level.

Futureman

Dyno said:
I'm doing it and having a good time with it. Your guy is well rounded, easy to upgrade to use different weapons, and quite survivable. The club you start with is actually a good scaling weapon (provided you give the Strength score some love.)

Forgive me for reposted my post but the pages move so fast and I really wanted to get peoples advice on what magic type to focus on.
I didn't start with a club, just a broken sword. Do I have to find the club somewhere?

Jtyettis said:
I talked to him after the battle and then talked to her again iirc after that at Firelink. Then went to Ash.

Ahhh, a trip back to izalith. Let's hope he's still alive.

Apparently he took enough damage to be dead at the conclusion... :\ At least I got my titanite slab. And I killed his daughter out of frustration. No speckled ring for me this playthrough...

In fact, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've murdered everyone. I blame the guy in here who put the idea in my head. I'm rolling with +16 humanity for it now though and picked up a few interesting weapons from the blacksmiths.

Futureman said:
I didn't start with a club, just a broken sword. Do I have to find the club somewhere?

Were you trying to fight the first boss with that broken sword? If so just run past him to the doorway on the left side of the room.

scy

toasty_T said:
Shit, that's a ways off. I started pumping points into INT since I've been completely ignoring it so far.

The stat scaling in this game is throwing me off though. If I'm using an enchanted weapon (poles are what I'm leaning towards) it scales directly from INT but until I get that done it's scales off of DEX. How do I know when to stop putting points into DEX? Do imbued weapons have an INT requirement?

If you're doing an INT or Faith build, just flat out don't raise STR/DEX beyond their requirements. The scaling on them (typically Ds and Es) for the melee stats is just practically irrelevant and a waste of points.

If you're not aiming to do an INT build, then you're really better served just not trying to use the Magic or Enchanted weapons. Basically, you have four options:

1) STR or DEX builds (just taking the weapon to +15, really; raise the stat it scales with).
2) Fire or Lightning builds (stat independent)
3) Enchanted builds (INT dependent)
4) Occult builds (Faith dependent)

Well, I guess you also have:

5) Don't care!

Ken

corrosivefrost said:

Lightning needs to wait until you find the blacksmith in anor londo.
Fire can be done at the blacksmith in the catacombs.
Magic can be done at the blacksmith in the cell at the beginning of new londo ruins.

If you have green titanite shards, you can go get magic right now and push it to +5.
What's the questline about/for?

ok im stuck in blight town and i cant get out. is it possible to exit blight town up the way you came initially without using the waterwheel shortcut?

Booshka

Ken said:
What's the questline about/for?
If you complete it, you will be rewarded with a Titanite Slab

Phat Michael said:
ok im stuck in blight town and i cant get out. is it possible to exit blight town up the way you came initially without using the waterwheel shortcut?

Yes you can backtrack all the way back to the Depths if you want.

been trying to get summoned for one hour with no luck :( i can't complete my playthrough like this. looks like i'll have to abandon this game until the patch.

very sad, but it's unplayable online right now.

K' Dash

Risk Breaker said:
omg how does the corruption happen :(

You have to press start and quit your game, if you go straight to the dashboard or turn off your xbox you risk getting you save corrupted.

That's on 360, of course.

AtomHeart

Neo Member
I have to say the catacombs is the worst place in the game by a long shot, horrible to look at, horrible to play and the enemies are horrible to fight. Not quite sure what they were thinking with that place.

Also I accidentally hit the blacksmith whilst trying to save him, no upgrades for me.

johntown

Banned
Phat Michael said:
Yes but that is going to be a much harder trip then the waterwheel.

AtomHeart said:
I have to say the catacombs is the worst place in the game by a long shot, horrible to look at, horrible to play and the enemies are horrible to fight. Not quite sure what they were thinking with that place.

Also I accidentally hit the blacksmith whilst trying to save him, no upgrades for me.
LOL just wait until you see what comes after the catacombs...

kodt

Banned
Futureman said:
K.

Got this at Redbox. What's the easiest class and gift to start with?

Many people say Pyromancer. Knight wasn't too bad either if you like a melee character with heavy armor.

scosher

K' Dash said:
people roll with pyro and I think it's best to do so if this is your first time with Souls.

Just don't do melee only like me, you might regret it later.

Yup, Pyro is the Royal of this game. Even down to both classes starting at level 1, and having the best stat spread end-game. Having 8 fireballs, essentially firebombs, at your disposal from the start of the game makes a lot of the early going much easier.

K' Dash

Augemitbutter said:
been trying to get summoned for one hour with no luck :( i can't complete my playthrough like this. looks like i'll have to abandon this game until the patch.

very sad, but it's unplayable online right now.

I got summoned 3 times in a row yesterday in front of Smough and Ornstein's room, maybe it's your level, when you're human do you see many summon signs?

scy

Confidence Man said:
How is occult different from divine? Better faith scaling?

Better Faith scaling and a different damage type and/or damage bonus. It deals more damage than Divine vs certain targets (humanoids, for instance). There's still some work that needs to be done to look into exactly how they differ.

The same goes for Enchanted vs Magic, though I'm not sure if there's also a different damage type in the mix there. I've benched my INT character and need to re-roll here later so maybe I'll do that down the road.

finalozzo said:
how can i reach the boss of lost izalith?
I'm at the second bonfire, inside that building.

You first need to run over to the second building - it has another illusory wall that you can hit. It's basically on the same side of the building that the bonfire one is. Then, if you look out that door, you'll see a sort of covered arch-way that's angled down towards the lava. If you run under that piece of building there is a tree branch you can run up and around to get into the area near the boss. The boss isn't right there, though, as there's still some part of the ruins you'll need to run through first.

K' Dash said:
You have to press start and quit your game, if you go straight to the dashboard or turn off your xbox you risk getting you save corrupted.

Phew, thankfully I'm used to doing that from the Demon's Souls times :')

Leunam

K' Dash said:

I was told by the game that it would be best to quit to title and then shut off my PS3 to ensure that the game was saving properly. Been doing it ever since.

AtomHeart said:
Are you for real? Good lord. :(
In all seriousness though, I'm in this area now and I'm almost done with the game. I saved it for last on purpose and it's actually pretty easy because of it. So if you're getting frustrated with it then just go somewhere else.

johntown said:
The bold part being the keyword.
Indeed. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom