• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorrin

I still keep ping ponging back and forth between two characters, both are currently in the depths, mid 20s SL, one a pure sorc and the other a pyro with good melee. Any opinions on which would be better to stick with and actually make a run towards finishing the game?

Sullichin

i'm in the painted world and I kind of hate it. I also hate the enemies in Anor Londo. Run for a few minutes, get killed by those giant knights, have to start over. Running out of patience with this game... :(

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Congratulations Dark Souls! I threw something. I'm a 27 year old man and you made me actually throw something across the room in a god damn hissy fit. The victim was my barely week old PS3 wireless headphones that I ripped off my head and overhand baseball threw into the opposite couch. They survived, my pride was the only thing hurt.

Witnesses were my girlfriend and dog, who both just stared at me with wild bewilderment.

The culprit? Capra Demon attempt #357. I can't even get inside the fucking room. Tried sprinting, rolling, walking, blocking, jumping, naked, armored, two hander, swoard and board, to the left, to the right, straight up the middle, pump fake left, pump fake right, zig zag like a maniac, etc etc etc. Watched youtube videos, read strategies, bought the guide. No fucking dice for me. I've only made it past the intial 5 second rush like twice. Then I just get stun locked and his little gang runs a train on me at the base of the stairs.
Fuck Capra Demon, fuck him up his stupid ass.

And I thought Stray Demon was tough... Stray Demon got jack shit on Capra Demon.

But I mean back to the topic at hand... I actually threw something expensive, in front of witnesses... in a nerd rage. Does life sink lower?

xero273

Phat Michael said:
how do u get back from ash lake where the dragon covenant is to firelink? (no warp). dont want to go up that tree where the great hollow is..

have to go up the tree. there is no other way

Ken

Phat Michael said:
how do u get back from ash lake where the dragon covenant is to firelink? (no warp). dont want to go up that tree where the great hollow is..
You have to go up the tree.

Just sprint through the hydra. You'll make it.

Sullichin

Mattdaddy said:
Congratulations Dark Souls! I threw something. I'm a 27 year old man and you made me actually throw something across the room in a god damn hissy fit. The victim was my barely week old PS3 wireless headphones that I ripped off my head and overhand baseball threw into the opposite couch. They survived, my pride was the only thing hurt.

Witnessnes were my girlfriend and dog, who both just stared at me with wild bewilderment.

The culprit? Capra Demon attempt #357. I can't even get inside the fucking room. Tried sprinting, rolling, walking, blocking, jumping, naked, armored, two hander, swoard and board, to the left, to the right, straight up the middle, pump fake left, pump fake right, zig zag like a maniac, etc etc etc. Watched youtube videos, read strategies, bought the guide. No fucking dice for me. I've only made it past the intial 5 second rush like twice. Then I just get stun locked and his little gang runs a train on me at the base of the stairs.

And I thought Stray Demon was tough... Stray Demon got jack shit on Capra Demon.

But I mean back to the topic at hand... I actually threw something expensive, in front of witnesses... in a nerd rage. Does life sink lower?

You think he's harder than the second visit to the asylum?? really??? I still can't beat that guy. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong boss. Why not summon a phantom?

Mattdaddy said:
Yes, it does. How? When you're mad from a particularly frustrating game of Black Ops, throw your controller at the floor, and watch the controller ricochet off of a pillow into your brand new $1000 TV, breaking the screen and controller in the process.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dorrin said:
I still keep ping ponging back and forth between two characters, both are currently in the depths, mid 20s SL, one a pure sorc and the other a pyro with good melee. Any opinions on which would be better to stick with and actually make a run towards finishing the game?

hmm. Sorcery likely to scale with faith (or is it intelligence?) For good melee I have crappy strength just pushign DEX and endurance. Pyro scales with souls only (no stats needed).

you can buy both the sorcery catalysts and pyromancy gloves in the game so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you can get an elemental weapon quite quickly, then your DEX stat isn't so important. So you can focus on endurance and faith mainly. So base your decision on your stats in those areas.

deim0s

Sullichin said:
i'm in the painted world and I kind of hate it. I also hate the enemies in Anor Londo. Run for a few minutes, get killed by those giant knights, have to start over. Running out of patience with this game... :(

Take each combat a bit slower.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Sullichin said:
You think he's harder than the second visit to the asylum?? really??? I still can't beat that guy. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong boss. Why not summon a phantom?

Stray demon drove me insane, but I could at least make a fight of it before he caught me with something. I finally finished him off but it did take a long time. This guy though, I can't even make it a fight. I can't even last long enough to engage. The average length of the fight for me is definitely under 10 seconds. I've probably died 3 times as much to this fucker.

I think you're right about the phantom, its going to be my only hope. I only had one humanity so I was hanging on to it... but I guess this is the time lol.

SAVE DATA was corrupted. Would you like to create new SAVE DATA? The current SAVE DATA will be overwritten.

I'm not feeling very well at the moment...

ironcreed

Banned
Mattdaddy said:

Witnesses were my girlfriend and dog, who both just stared at me with wild bewilderment.

Hey, later on you get to
face about 5 Capra Demons in a row down in the Demon Ruins. By that time they are much easier to deal with, though. As you will be leveled up and you will have plenty of room to move around.

Keeping up with the "Character Stats" trend....

Soul Level 70 Wanderer

Vit 22 (Planning to get my Vit to around 30 before I go back to End, or maybe split em up)
End 30
Att 9 (whatever the starting Att is)
Str 16
Dex 40
Res 8
Int 11
Faith 12 (Got to 12 just for Heal)

Qualog's Furysword +5
Eagle Shield +5
Gold-Hemmed Armor (Full set)
Havel's Ring (may swap out shortly if I find a better one because armor's so light)
Ring from that Gold dude that boosts Hp, Stam, End
Bow +5

Really enjoying my Wanderer, I don't know if it's wise to go too far past 40 in Dex seeing as scaling isn't the greatest, and I'm farming to level my Lightning Iaito past +1, which may end up outdoing my Furysword.

I think at this point I'm going to split my souls into Vit and End, maybe get Vit to 30 and End to 40, should be a good setup for NG+

Any suggestion or is what I'm doing kind of on point?

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The_Darkest_Red said:
Yes, it does. How? When you're mad from a particularly frustrating game of Black Ops, throw your controller at the floor, and watch the controller ricochet off of a pillow into your brand new $1000 TV, breaking the screen and controller in the process.

Oh man... yeah that really, really sucks lol

Sullichin

deim0s said:
Take each combat a bit slower.

There's one part where I go up the stairs and two knights attack me at once and I just get destroyed. I can't lure one of them out at a time. :/I do take it slow and then I die and it's a boring ass trek back to them. But I'm stuck in the painted world now anyway.

Sickboy007 said:
SAVE DATA was corrupted. Would you like to create new SAVE DATA? The current SAVE DATA will be overwritten.

If that would happen to me...
rk1vn4.gif

scy

Dorrin said:

Generic advice is to to choose a weapon you want to use (i.e., Claymore: 16 STR, 10 DEX) and get your STR and DEX to that point. Decide the damage type you want (Pure Physical, non-scaling Fire/Lightning, Magic/Enchanter, or Divine/Occult) and that will determine which stat you'll be raising. Besides that, aim for 40 END (max Stamina) and you can worry about VIT at the end.

Also, Pyromancer scales with the upgrade level of the Flame so you can use it in any build. You could just make a pure INT character with Magic/Enchanted Weapons (scales with INT) and use Pyromancer spells too.

Ra1den said:
Wait what? It scales with how many souls you have?

The Magic Adjust on the Flame is 100% dependent on the upgrade level of the Flame. There is ABSOLUTELY NO stat scaling with Pyromancy spells. SL1 with base stats and SL600 something will do the exact same damage with Pyromancy spells, assuming the same Flame.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Mattdaddy said:
Well, be glad you did it at home, in front of people who knew you well. You could have screamed and thrown your PSP/DS/phone while on a bus or something.

Failed to create new save data.
Please exit the game and manually delete the save data.

That's cruel, man :*(
I only started the game three days ago, but still...
notlikethis3rxq.gif

All of this file corruption talk :O

Is this a bug with the game? Would Cloud saving from PS+ do anything? Or is this a case where once there's corruption that's pretty much it?

sixghost

Sickboy007 said:
Failed to create new save data.
Please exit the game and manually delete the save data.

That's cruel, man :*(
I only started the game three days ago, but still...
notlikethis3rxq.gif
You'll be surprised how quickly you blow through the early parts of the game now that you've played through it before. You'll probably get back to where you were in less than half the time.

RedNumberFive said:
I'm going with an archer build. Can I assume, like in Demon Souls, that I just need to max out strength and dex to do massive arrow damage?
Depends on your bow. Blackbow of Pharis benefits much much more from dex than strength. While a Longbow needs STR, too.

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
Depends on your bow. Blackbow of Pharis benefits much much more from dex than strength. While a Longbow needs STR, too.
Would you say that generally for an archer that DEX is the more important stat to focus on?

scy

RedNumberFive said:
Would you say that generally for an archer that DEX is the more important stat to focus on?

Yes and no. You can make the Black Bow of Pharis into an INT or Faith scaling weapon too so, really, you can use it to maximum effect in basically any build. 18 DEX is needed for the maximm range on it, though.

Dex is the most important. You can turn a bow divine or enchanted but it will never have as good a scaling rank as it does in it's original form. Longbow has an A rank for Dex, Pharis' bow has an S rank.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
DigitalDevil said:
Okay, this is really bugging me so I'm asking for help.

I'm a thief build, still using my bandit's knife +5, and have become very very good at the art of the backstab. What I am NOT good at, however, is the parry riposte. I know I'm using a shield that can parry (hollow shield) but no matter how many times I try it just does a normal block when I try to parry. What am I doing wrong? How does this work? I really want to get as good with the parry/riposte as I am with the backstab.

Halp?
I'm also playing a thief and use the bandit dagger fairly regularly, but I'm not that good with the parry/riposte, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think parrying only works for single-handed attacks if the enemy is not that much stronger than you. I've done parries on enemies my size plenty of times (such as the spear and shield hollows), but I don't try to parry anything that looks incredibly heavy, such as gigantic swords, maces or clubs (never done it successfully). I am also fairly certain that you *can't* parry two-handed attacks. Not sure if you can parry sword thrusts, either.

Try practicing on the spear and shield hollows at Undead Burg. As previously mentioned, you want to time your parry so that your left hand swings just before the enemy is about to land his blow. Once you hear a parry sound, hit R1 to riposte.

archnemesis said:
All you have to do is to press L2 and time it right. If you're parrying the attack you're pressing the wrong button.
Mind blown.

On an unrelated note, I have a question about stat building. I'm ~SL40, my dex is in the mid thirties now, and I'm only starting to find that many weapon upgrade paths do not scale terribly well to high dex. Should I continue to keep pumping dex and work on a +15 weapon, or should I abandon that route and simply go with a weapon upgrade path that does not scale to stats, and then put subsequent points into other stats, like endurance? Is ~30 dex too much of a commitment to abandon now?

scy

Confidence Man said:
Dex is the most important. You can turn a bow divine or enchanted but it will never have as good a scaling rank as it does in it's original form. Longbow has an A rank for Dex, Pharis' bow has an S rank.

I'm pretty sure the Pharis Bow S ranks INT and Faith on both Enchanted and Occult.

54-46!

sixghost said:
You'll be surprised how quickly you blow through the early parts of the game now that you've played through it before. You'll probably get back to where you were in less than half the time.
True, I created a new character because I wasn't happy with my build early on and got to the Bell tower with only two deaths on my belt.

scy

Confidence Man said:
Really? I thought ascensions add only moderate Int/Faith scaling to weapons while reducing default scaling.

Only one I'm not sure about is Enchanted as I never got it on my INT character. I do know it S scales with Faith since that's what I'm using on my current character (off-hand, Short and Long also get an S scaling and Composite gets an A). It should cap out around the 40 Faith mark (unmodified, caps out around the 40 DEX mark as well, for the curious).

Edit: Black Bow of Pharis as Occult is 59 Physical, 65 Magic with D/D/-/S scaling; regular Black Bow of Pharis is 85 Physical with E/S/-/- scaling.

The only gripe with it is that it gains Magic damage so it kind of loses out to the better Physical damage of a regular BBoP. Then again, if you wanted better damage from a Bow, you'd probably be using the Dragonslayer Greatbow and shoot spears at things (though, that caps at like 27-ish STR, 40 DEX).

What scaling a weapon ends up with after Ascension is based off of the weapon. For instance, Claymore and Bastard Sword B rank Faith as Occult but Zweihander only gets a C. None of the Katanas will go to B either besides the Murakumo (though, I guess that's technically a Great Curved Sword, not a Katana-classified weapon).

orion434

I just realized that I need to help other players defeat bosses if I want to get into a Covenant which also offers a Miracle I need. I'm SL78, and would really like to help people with
Pricillia
what level do you think players are entering that area. It's either that or I need to get my Faith to 50... and I'm an Intelligence based Battle-Mage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom