• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Sorry for reposting, but I think my question got lost in the thread:

I have a question about stat building. I'm ~SL40, my dex is in the mid thirties now, and I'm only starting to find that many weapon upgrade paths do not scale terribly well to high dex. Should I continue to keep pumping dex and work on a +15 weapon, or should I abandon that route and simply go with a weapon upgrade path that does not scale to stats, and then put subsequent points into other stats, like endurance? Is ~30 dex too much of a commitment to abandon now?

Yeaaahhhh Ornstein and Smough dead! Good fight. I guess I made it harder on myself because I SWEAR I had read that the fat guy should die first for the easy fight but that turns out to be wrong?

Either way Ornstein second wasn't too terrible, he does a lot of lightning attacks but with a giant suit + shield it didn't hurt too much.

On to Tomb of the Giants... where do I get the hat that makes light?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oracle Dragon said:
Yeaaahhhh Ornstein and Smough dead! Good fight. I guess I made it harder on myself because I SWEAR I had read that the fat guy should die first for the easy fight but that turns out to be wrong?

Either way Ornstein second wasn't too terrible, he does a lot of lightning attacks but with a giant suit + shield it didn't hurt too much.

It's not a hat, it's a lantern (or is there a hat that does light as well?). You'll get it when you get deeper into that place. You won't miss it.

K' Dash said:
I got summoned 3 times in a row yesterday in front of Smough and Ornstein's room, maybe it's your level, when you're human do you see many summon signs?

i'm level 78 in ng+. tried anor, crystal caves and painting. got summoned 4 times in painting yesterday, but disconnected after a few minutes in 3 games. nat 2 with open ports.

haven't tried human form, i was planning to help others.

AtomHeart

Neo Member
The_Darkest_Red said:
In all seriousness though, I'm in this area now and I'm almost done with the game. I saved it for last on purpose and it's actually pretty easy because of it. So if you're getting frustrated with it then just go somewhere else.

Yeah I probably will save it for later, I've loved every single area in the game so far except for this one.

Akuun said:
You have plenty of options where you are now. A DEX of 30 is fairly high if you aren't planning on taking advantage of it through scaling but it's certainly not something that should cause you to start over. You can take a weapon with good DEX scaling to +15 and do well with it but unfortunately it will be very difficult to outmatch the damage you can do with a fully leveled fire or lightning weapon, simply because of how stat scaling has been designed in this game. It's actually a fairly common complaint and FROM has mentioned that it will be addressed in a future patch.

There are also some weapons that give you the best of both world's, like Quelaag's Furysword. That sword does a great deal of fire damage but also scales with dexterity.

TTP said:
It's not a hat, it's a lantern (or is there a hat that does light as well?). You'll get it when you get deeper into that place. You won't miss it.
There is a hat, sunlight maggot... Or am I thinking of something else?

brentech

Man, Sif is giving me the hardest time out of all the bosses I've faced in this game and Demon Souls. What the hell is wrong with me.

Finalow

KoreanBarbecue said:
You first need to run over to the second building - it has another illusory wall that you can hit. It's basically on the same side of the building that the bonfire one is. Then, if you look out that door, you'll see a sort of covered arch-way that's angled down towards the lava. If you run under that piece of building there is a tree branch you can run up and around to get into the area near the boss. The boss isn't right there, though, as there's still some part of the ruins you'll need to run through first.
is there a third bonfire? :(
i didn't understand well but i'll try, is there maybe a video?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick to my current route and keep pumping dex after putting a few more points into other things. I've ignored other stats for the most part, and I'm short on prereqs for a few skills as a result.

I'll also look into that furysword.

K' Dash

Akuun said:

The patch will fix the scaling weapons issue, for now you should get some elemental damage, I'd keep a katana with +15 just in case, the bleed effect is fucking amazing.

TTP said:

There is supposed to be a hat as well, I'm just not sure where it is (not in Tomb I don't think.)

There's supposed to be three methods to get through the dark:

1) Lantern (can't use your shield)
2) Magic hat (not sure where to find it)
3) Light sorcery spell from secret NPC (I have the spell, but it is 3 charges of 5 minutes each)

scy

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
There is a hat, sunlight maggot... Or am I thinking of something else?

It should. That, the Lantern, and the actual Light spell are the only ways to make the Tomb not make you hate life and everything it stands for.

Edit: lol beaten. The helm is in
Lost Izalith, for the record
. The easy way is to go via the Chaos Covenant shortcut (Requires Rank 2 or giving up 30 Humanity).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oracle Dragon said:
There is supposed to be a hat as well, I'm just not sure where it is (not in Tomb I don't think.)

There's supposed to be three methods to get through the dark:

1) Lantern (can't use your shield)
2) Magic hat (not sure where to find it)
3) Light sorcery spell from secret NPC (I have the spell, but it is 3 charges of 5 minutes each)

Wow. Damn Demon Souls and its so many secrets.

Owensboro

Oracle Dragon said:

The Hat is found in L
ost
I
zlith
. You need to make sure you go in the front way (I went in the back on my most recent playhtrough and it didn't drop) and
when you get to the area with the boss door to Bed of Chaos, go down the stairs instead to that courtyard with all the firebreathing stone statue things. Through a door on the right is a long bridge with a Prowling Demon (Headless Demon) on it. Kill him, get to the other side of the bridge, and kill all the little bugs hopping around. One of them will drop the hat.

K' Dash

brentech said:
Man, Sif is giving me the hardest time out of all the bosses I've faced in this game and Demon Souls. What the hell is wrong with me.

Equip a shield with good stability and don't get cocky or else that beast will make you cry blood, lol.

Eagle shield can stand the 360 double hit attack and leave with enough stamina to back off a little while your bar fills.

Finally beat the Tomb of the Giants!!!!!

Some asshole invaded me right before the boss. Got him with a Great Chaos Fireball and finished him off with my +8 Divine Claymore. Bitch.

Got a few humanity down there for later. Ready to finish this bitch.

K' Dash said:
Equip a shield with good stability and don't get cocky or else that beast will make you cry blood, lol.

Eagle shield can stand the 360 double hit attack and leave with enough stamina to back off a little while your bar fills.
Yeah, the Eagle Shield is great for that fight (and in general, really).

My advice is to always wait for him to attack first. Just stay out of his reach until he does that charging attack and then move to the side and whack him a few times. After that back away and do it again.

scy

K' Dash said:

The only worrisome hit is that 360 spin; everything else Sif does has a terrible dead spot right under him so you can just approach and bait a swing and then get under him for a quick hit or two before backing out and repeating. If you can't fully block all of his attacks, I'd just come back later, though, with more Stability or more Stamina (or both).

Or, if you're an INT build, just range him.

brentech said:

Well, it's the one I fear most and the only one, with the one in demon ruins, that I have met but haven't beaten. I only fought him two times but I really don't want to go back there.

johntown

Banned
brentech said:
If you are melee then you need to stay under him as much as you can and when he jumps away, find him, dodge the attack, roll under him and hit him again.

If you have a ranged fighter than the fight should be even easier. Just dodge the first attack and give youself plenty of space, dodge backwards at his first swing, hit him with whatever ranged weapon or magic your using, repeat. Just make sure you keep locked on as much as you can and just dodge backwards when necessary.

johntown said:
If you are melee then you need to stay under him as much as you can and when he jumps away, find him, dodge the attack, roll under him and hit him again.

If you have a ranged fighter than the fight should be even easier. Just dodge the first attack and give youself plenty of space, dodge backwards at his first swing, hit him with whatever ranged weapon or magic your using, repeat. Just make sure you keep locked on as much as you can and just dodge backwards when necessary.

What he said. You just need to make sure you stay between his legs or underneath him most of the fight. If you do that, he usually can't even get a hit in on you. Going toe-to-toe with him is where things get tricky.

Finalow

really? Isn't there A THIRD bonfire at lost izalith?
To be at the boss i have to kill like 20 of those fat things.
and i lost 100k souls in a trap full of poison. nice.

brentech said:

What everyone else said; use the Eagle Shield. I've had mine at +5 and it's by far the best shield for me as a Wanderer (it's light and sturdy).

I used my Qualog's Furysword +5 with my Eagle Shield +5 and I demolished Sif.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Gosh dang, got 1000G now. Took 93 hours, NG+++ sl166. Time to try a pyro!

finalozzo said:
Beneath the final temple in the lava area.

darkwing

finalozzo said:
and i lost 100k souls in a trap full of poison. nice.

you could just run and avoid them, the last bonfire is in that small island tower thingy

Does anyone know why my Estus Flask capacity has suddenly went up from 5 to 10? All I have done is
rung the Undead Church bell and beaten the Capra Demon, nothing else really
. I talked to some lady at the Firelink Shrine (who couldn't actually talk), and it said some option about upgrading my flask, but I definitely didn't do it.

Zzoram

rockman zx said:
I can't believe how easy is the game when you get this fire spell that makes you hard like a rock but slow. Beat the game today, final boss and ending was disappointing, the rest of the game is awesome.
Yep Iron Skin is god mode. Bosses do like 20 damage to you.

frequency

SUBZERO-08 said:
Does anyone know why my Estus Flask capacity has suddenly went up from 5 to 10? All I have done is
rung the Undead Church bell and beaten the Capra Demon, nothing else really
. I talked to some lady at the Firelink Shrine (who couldn't actually talk), and it said some option about upgrading my flask, but I definitely didn't do it.
The Firelink Shrine bonfire is already kindled 1 level. So if you rested there it would have given you 10. Upgrading your flask doesn't increase the capacity. It makes it heal more. Increasing capacity requires kindling.

Is this patch thing confirmed, or is it speculation? I wonder how long it'll take for the patch to be released? Sony is a bit faster on the approval process right?

scosher said:
Yup, Pyro is the Royal of this game. Even down to both classes starting at level 1, and having the best stat spread end-game. Having 8 fireballs, essentially firebombs, at your disposal from the start of the game makes a lot of the early going much easier.

Thing is Pyromancer has a finite amount of spells, while Royal in Demon's Souls started out with a MP regenerating ring.

Zzoram

See You Next Wednesday said:
Thing is Pyromancer has a finite amount of spells, while Royal in Demon's Souls started out with a MP regenerating ring.
That ring took 20 minutes to refill your mana bar though.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Good progress today! Gaping Dragon was a cakewalk, opened the door to Blighttown, used the Souls to open that door in the forest, proceeded to farm until I upped my Strength to 32, Dex to 13 and Endurance to 21. Also upgraded tons of my weapons and can now wield Great Axe +5.
Question: what are the benefits/drawbacks to making a weapon "Raw"? I see you get a big attack boost but what else?

Dyno

johntown said:
Question for magic users

Is the Soul Spear any good? Does it cast quick? Better damage than homing?

Yeah if anyone could do a quick rundown of the Soul attacks it would be appreciated.

frequency said:
The Firelink Shrine bonfire is already kindled 1 level. So if you rested there it would have given you 10. Upgrading your flask doesn't increase the capacity. It makes it heal more. Increasing capacity requires kindling.
Oh, okay. Makes sense. Also, once you kindle a fire does it stay kindled for good? Or just one usage?

Dresden

Dyno said:
Yeah if anyone could do a quick rundown of the Soul attacks it would be appreciated.
Soul Spear casts fast (it's almost instant), hits hard, but obviously it doesn't hit as hard as all orbs of the Homing Soulmass connecting. The crystal versions are the same thing with extra damage.

Soul Spear's advantage over Homing Soulmass is that you can target it and that it has the range of most of the other Sorceror spells. The disadvantage is its low number of charges and that it has less overall potential for damage.

That said all sorcerors should be using both spells.

one other thing, Ive noticed white glowing circles on the ground every once in a while, and when I walk up to them, I see a white circle appear over my heal miracle spell. What does this mean exactly?

johntown

Banned
Dresden said:
Soul Spear casts fast (it's almost instant), hits hard, but obviously it doesn't hit as hard as all orbs of the Homing Soulmass connecting. The crystal versions are the same thing with extra damage.

Soul Spear's advantage over Homing Soulmass is that you can target it and that it has the range of most of the other Sorceror spells. The disadvantage is its low number of charges and that it has less overall potential for damage.

That said all sorcerors should be using both spells.
Besides the fast cast it does not really seem to be that good considering that are only 4 castings.

Question: I need a better bow. Currently running with a +5 longbow as a Wanderer. Have beaten Sif and the Anor duo (Sif was a cakewalk with my +2 Lightning Scimitar). I have the Dragon Greatbow but I don't think I can use it due to reqs. Is there a bow I should try to get, or an upgrade path I should pursue with my longbow? It worked fine against Hydra (did this after Anor, and successfully kited lightning Smeogh with the longbow) but I feel I should look to get something better.

Also, where exactly is the
Gold Golem
after Hydra? Pretend I'm looking at Hydra Lake and the waterfall is on my left. I went into the big cave in the back but never saw what I'm looking for. Did I need to quit and reload to have it appear?

Speevy

Banned
Can someone give me some directions around
Anor Londo? I walked in, found one bonfire, used an elevator, played with some steps, fought the ninja storm trooper guys, completed (I guess?) the Painted World of Ariamis by defeating Priscilla, returned, played with some more steps, found a second bonfire, played with the steps again, ended up facing this enormous staircase, ascended that, killed some giants, walked on some ramps, killed some pink flying guys, walked along some more, tried to get to where there were more pink guys, but one of them shot my shield and knocked me to my death. Am I even going in the right direction? Is there a blacksmith or merchant I missed along the way?

Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom