• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Of All Trades said:
Question: I need a better bow. Currently running with a +5 longbow as a Wanderer. Have beaten Sif and the Anor duo (Sif was a cakewalk with my +2 Lightning Scimitar). I have the Dragon Greatbow but I don't think I can use it due to reqs. Is there a bow I should try to get, or an upgrade path I should pursue with my longbow? It worked fine against Hydra (did this after Anor, and successfully kited lightning Smeogh with the longbow) but I feel I should look to get something better.

Black Bow of Pharis has lower base damage but scales better with DEX. It's found off of Pharis beyond the Crest door in forest (one of the ghost NPCs you can't target). Tends to suicide off cliffs, though, so be careful on the fight so you can still loot the corpse. Besides that, the Composite Bow should do better with STR/DEX and without the Greatbow's requirements; as far as pure single stat goes, BBoP is basically your best choice.

Also, where exactly is the
Gold Golem
after Hydra? Pretend I'm looking at Hydra Lake and the waterfall is on my left. I went into the big cave in the back but never saw what I'm looking for. Did I need to quit and reload to have it appear?

Should be in the first back of the lake; just hug the left wall. If it's not there then I guess you do have to save/quit (or die) to get it to spawn.

Darklord

Banned
You know, I don't even feel like playing anymore now I'm cursed again. Hey, you know what's a great idea? Give a curse that FUCKS YOU UP permanently and the ONLY person who can fix it is waaaaaaay over the other side of the world and to top it off, it costs 3000 souls...each. LOL HAVE FUN.

If this game was a person, I'd have punched them by now.

Leezard

I just started NG+ at SL68. I thought there would be something still left to do after the last boss, I didn't think that it actually would be the last boss. Now I didn't do everything I wanted to do. :( Oh well, I can still do it in ng+ and ng++ I guess.

Goddamn that
iron golem boss in sen's fortress
is such a jerk. I think I fought him 10 times in a row before I finally beat him fair and square. I never died by him outright killing me with attacks. It was always either me accidentally rolling off an open ledge, him knocking me into a ledge, him throwing me over the ledge, or me accidentally walking backwards off the ledge. The camera made it hard to see where I was standing when I was locked on. Argh, what a pain. Thankfully that bonfire was nearby.

Question: Is it possible to get back after you go to Anor Londo?

Speevy

Banned
Darklord said:
You know, I don't even feel like playing anymore now I'm cursed again. Hey, you know what's a great idea? Give a curse that FUCKS YOU UP permanently and the ONLY person who cab fix it is waaaaaaay over the other side of the world and to top it off, it costs 3000 souls...each. LOL HAVE FUN.

Where are you right now?

Psy-Phi

burgerdog said:
I can't find the Sunlight Maggot(helm that lights up tomb of the giants.) I read that it's near the boss' fog door but no luck.
One will drop in everyone's game, but there are multiple maggots/fleas leaping about on both sides of a door to the right of the fog door in Demon Ruins. You can only open that door though if you're a Chaos Servant +2.

Zzoram

Of All Trades said:
Question: I need a better bow. Currently running with a +5 longbow as a Wanderer. Have beaten Sif and the Anor duo (Sif was a cakewalk with my +2 Lightning Scimitar). I have the Dragon Greatbow but I don't think I can use it due to reqs. Is there a bow I should try to get, or an upgrade path I should pursue with my longbow? It worked fine against Hydra (did this after Anor, and successfully kited lightning Smeogh with the longbow) but I feel I should look to get something better.

Also, where exactly is the
Gold Golem
after Hydra? Pretend I'm looking at Hydra Lake and the waterfall is on my left. I went into the big cave in the back but never saw what I'm looking for. Did I need to quit and reload to have it appear?
Ya reload for it to appear.

MoxManiac

Darklord said:
You know, I don't even feel like playing anymore now I'm cursed again. Hey, you know what's a great idea? Give a curse that FUCKS YOU UP permanently and the ONLY person who can fix it is waaaaaaay over the other side of the world and to top it off, it costs 3000 souls...each. LOL HAVE FUN.

the female undead merchant near firelink sells cure stones for 6000

Booshka

x3r0123 said:
it stays for the entire game
I also just noticed that if you kindle a bonfire to 15 on one playthrough, then when you come back to it on NG+ or above, you can then kindle it to 20, without the rite of kindling.

TylerD

Dresden said:
That's hardly in the other side of the world, that's like a five minute run to the top of the sewers, if you're willing to pay 6k souls.

Even the run to the merchant that sells the 3000 soul purging stones isnt far. Use the shortcut through firelink that takes you to the bottom of the undead church.

Just got into
The painted world
last night. That is a neat area. They did a really great job with the castle/fortress design in this game.

anddo0 said:
any tips at all?
The strategy I used to beat him was to
keep just outside of his normal attack range. I only attacked after he attempted to grab me. The trick was avoiding getting cornered and rolling away after he did his lunge attacks
.. It took awhile and there were some close calls but it worked.

Psy-Phi

Darklord said:

Buy items in anticipation of needing them, not when you need them. Lesson learned the hard way :p.

But another vendor sells 'em too, but for 6k, the lady in the aqueduct.

Also you can find them as drops off of big clam shell monsters in Ash Lake.

But honestly, it's not that bad being cursed. Reminds me of Demon's Souls and being in soulform instead of human.

Dresden

TylerD said:
Even the run to the merchant that sells the 3000 soul purging stones isnt far.
Yeah it's like another five minute jog to Undead Parish. Not something to stress about and you can easily make those souls back and more by co-opping the boss of the Depths a few times.

Speevy

Banned
Darklord said:
Bonfire in the Depths.

Wow. It's very, very easy to fix this. And there's a shortcut both to the depths, and in the depths. You don't even have to fight those guys you're complaining about.

You know where the bonfire in the depths is?

From it, walk forward, you'll eventually see a door to your right, go in that door.

Find a bunch of oddly placed green-colored boxes. Smash them. You'll see a ladder. Go down that ladder. Once you're in the room with a bunch of slime and rats, stay on dry land, and run a little across the room. Go in the doorway. If you're ascending steps, you're in the right place. You should see what looks like a small castle walkway. You might have to fight a magic caster. Run around this place and find another set of steps. Go down. Then find another set of steps. There's your boss.

That's the depths. All you have to do.

I don't even understand how you can get cursed. The frogs die pretty easily, you can roll out of their curse cloud and attack them from the side or interrupt their spray.

blackflag

Booshka said:
I also just noticed that if you kindle a bonfire to 15 on one playthrough, then when you come back to it on NG+ or above, you can then kindle it to 20, without the rite of kindling.

That's sick, I was going to delay finishing the game until I kindled all of the important ones to + 15 anyway.

TylerD said:
Even the run to the merchant that sells the 3000 soul purging stones isnt far. Use the shortcut through firelink that takes you to the bottom of the undead church.
Even more important than getting the cure is learning from your mistakes so it doesn't happen again. There is really only one path that makes getting cursed a legitimate concern, so don't take that path anymore.

Darklord

Banned
Dresden said:
That's hardly in the other side of the world, that's like a five minute run to the top of the sewers, if you're willing to pay 6k souls.

All the way out the the depths, past the thieves and undead dogs, back up to undead burg, pass near the dragon, past several knights, all the way to the tower where the gargoyle is. Buy it, run all the way back. Where's the other place that sells it for 6k?

Edit: I don't know what firelink is. :[

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Got a question for the weapon experts.

I've been using the Drake Sword since I got it almost 10 hours ago and I'm looking to move up. I don't have any elemental weapons or even +5 weapons, but I have lots of upgrade materials at this point.

In terms of the main quest, I am about to go to Blighttown and I'm SL 35 or so.

Is there a weapon I should try to get and/or upgrade elementally at this point? My strength stat is 19, I should add.

gate777

Anybody else get extremely bad framerate in the depths? At the beginning of the stage in the open area with all the tables the framerate is as slow as honey and definitely not as tasty.

Speevy

Banned
electroshockwave said:
I don't even understand how you can get cursed. The frogs die pretty easily, you can roll out of their curse cloud and attack them from the side or interrupt their spray.

It's easy, but when you first go down there, is isn't automatically intuitive to think "Hmm, I bet these frogs CURSE you.

Your tendency is to block them, or wait for their attack.

Grisby

gate777 said:
Anybody else get extremely bad framerate in the depths? At the beginning of the stage in the open area with all the tables the framerate is as slow as honey and definitely not as tasty.
Wait till Blighttown. And yes, for me the FR is kinda all over the place in this game.

Dresden

Speevy said:
It's easy, but when you first go down there, is isn't automatically intuitive to think "Hmm, I bet these frogs CURSE you.

Your tendency is to block them, or wait for their attack.
There's the purple meter filling up though, which could possibly indicate something negative happening were it to fill up completely.

Speevy

Banned
Darklord said:
All the way out the the depths, past the thieves and undead dogs, back up to undead burg, pass near the dragon, past several knights, all the way to the tower where the gargoyle is. Buy it, run all the way back. Where's the other place that sells it for 6k?

Firelink shrine is where you started. "Safety zone", where the crow first took you.

There's a running shortcut to most of the game's early locations in that shrine. You just have to find them.

Dresden

brentech said:
Guess I'll have to go look for that shield. I kind of breezed through Blighttown and didn't go up that structure.
The Hollow Soldier's Shield or the Silver Knight Shields are good replacements/upgrades over the Eagle Shield, provided you're willing to get the souls to upgrade it.

Speevy

Banned
Dresden said:
There's the purple meter filling up though, which could possibly indicate something negative happening were it to fill up completely.

Yeah I thought they were poisonous, which is what some frogs do. That's why I brought along all those flowers.

Darklord

Banned
Speevy said:
Firelink shrine is where you started. "Safety zone", where the crow first took you.

There's a running shortcut to most of the game's early locations in that shrine. You just have to find them.

I haven't found any shortcuts to firelink. :\

Dresden said:
There is a particular hole in the depths that drops you right in the middle of 3 or 4 frogs. I'm guessing that's how most people end up getting cursed.

Darklord said:
I haven't found any shortcuts to firelink. :\
Check the church in Undead Parish.

Dresden said:
Exactly. After seeing the bleed meter fill up when taking attacks and the poison meter fill up from the rats and the hollow thieves near the Capra demon I thought it was obvious to not let this new meter with a skull on it fill up.

Darklord said:

You can actually get into the sewer tunnel directly from under the bridge with the dragon on it. Just make sure to go a bit further than the merchant and also open the gate there so that you can get quickly back to the fire link shrine if you need to.

scy

Darklord said:

"All the way out of the depths" is a minute run from the Bonfire (down the hall towards where the Pyromancer was, drop down to the pool with the dogs, up to the room with the Butcher and the Large Ember chest, and then out to the surface). Once outside, you can shortcut to the long hallway leading back to Firelink (the start of the game after the Asylum) about a 10 second run from the Depths entrance (it's just up some stairs; it's pretty obvious as it's the only other door you can enter in the area).

It's like a 2 minute trip, ignoring killing things in your way time.

Edit: And there's a shortcut to the Gargoyle area too from Firelink. The elevator to the left of the altar takes you back down to the starting area.

TylerD

electroshockwave said:

Funnily enough, when i first met the frogs in the depths i fell down the little hole and was completely surrounded. Not knowing where the hell I was going or how to escape I ran around for about 2 minutes dodging all of them and the clouds before i got out.

The only time I did get cursed was when I was trying to attack one and then another came up behind me and unleashed his cloud without me seeing him. I did go back to clear every one of those bastards to get all the treasure but it was pretty tense because I had 0 souls and REALLY did not want to get cursed again. When 3 come at you or they pop out of no where that is the most disturbed I have been at any part in the game so far. I had to get close to melee them cause of my bandit knife and I ranged the rest.

Xanathus

And the stupidest thing about people complaining about curse is that in Demon's Souls if you were in soul form (the equivalent of hollow form in Dark Souls), your HP is cut to approximately half. And people played through it entirely in soul form without crying about it.

Speevy

Banned
Can someone give me some directions around
Anor Londo? I walked in, found one bonfire, used an elevator, played with some steps, fought the ninja storm trooper guys, completed (I guess?) the Painted World of Ariamis by defeating Priscilla, returned, played with some more steps, found a second bonfire, played with the steps again, ended up facing this enormous staircase, ascended that, killed some giants, walked on some ramps, killed some pink flying guys, walked along some more, tried to get to where there were more pink guys, but one of them shot my shield and knocked me to my death. Am I even going in the right direction? Is there a blacksmith or merchant I missed along the way?

Anybody?

Anyone?

Abooie

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
Goddamn that
iron golem boss in sen's fortress
is such a jerk. I think I fought him 10 times in a row before I finally beat him fair and square. I never died by him outright killing me with attacks. It was always either me accidentally rolling off an open ledge, him knocking me into a ledge, him throwing me over the ledge, or me accidentally walking backwards off the ledge. The camera made it hard to see where I was standing when I was locked on. Argh, what a pain. Thankfully that bonfire was nearby.

Question: Is it possible to get back after you go to Anor Londo?

This was me.

And yes, turn around and talk to the gargoyle sat high up on the wall.

kodt

Banned
Speevy said:

You are heading in the right direction, there is a blacksmith to the left through a locked gate once you get to the top of that large stairway. You have to make your way inside, fight some large enemies inside and you can get by to where the blacksmith is. You are also not too far from the boss and completing that area.

StMeph

Xanathus said:
And the stupidest thing about people complaining about curse is that in Demon's Souls if you were in soul form (the equivalent of hollow form in Dark Souls), your HP is cut to approximately half. And people played through it entirely in soul form without crying about it.

I would like to non-sarcastically avatar quote you.

So much truth, just like the Cling Ring vs. Ring of Favor and Protection. Totally opposite ways to restrict your ring slot.

scy

Speevy said:

Sounds like it. The
dais spins twice from the top level; the first drop connects it with the starting area bonfire (the one with the Fire Keeper) and the second drop is the Darkmoon Covenant area, if I recall. You want it on the first drop where it leads to the staircase with the two giant Knights. Kill those, go to the right to kill some Lightning Demons and then down the narrow ramp to two more. The next bit is the fabled Archer hell with the two Dragonslayer Greatbow wielding Silver Knights; you can sprint up and take out the one on the right without the left one attacking you, though. It's still chancy at times but it's doable. Hell, half the time I do this run, the first guy suicides like a moron :/

Right after that segment is the next bonfire.

Xanathus said:

Except for the fact that Demon's Souls was pretty much balanced around you being in Soul Form for most of the game, and Dark Soul's is not balanced around you being cursed (otherwise it wouldn't really count as a handicap). Demon's Souls may be similar to Dark Souls but they are not exactly the same thing.

gate777 said:
Yep, I had problems there also, as well as when rolling off the ledge to the rats near hellkite. Haven't gotten passed the iaito yet in blighttown but so far no problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom