• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

froliq

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Kind of bummed out. Hit lvl 34, started londo ruins, but im out of transient curses.
ghosts are raping me, and I cant just run through to even get to the first bonfire wherever the hell that is. I tried to get into sens fortress, but two armed lizards bent me over a piece of pottery and got saucy.
So at this point, It's catacombs, or somehow try to farm enough souls to get the crest to open the door in the garden.
I've kind of hit a wall.
Well you don't need to open the 20k door to progress. It's just a much shorter way to the covenant and Sif. You could take a detour from the Hydra side, but you should be able to take on Sen's. I wouldn't recommend doing those other areas.

scy

truly101 said:
Ever seen the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre where the first guy wanders in the house and Leatherface comes out of nowhere and thwacks him with a hammer? Thats what happened to me when I used that Watchtower basement key. Yikes.

Whats the point of the Darkroot basin? Kill the Hydra I guess and farm crystal dudes? Its not very big. I also hate that all this armor I'm picking up makes my character so f'n slow.

Stuff in your inventory does nothing to your movement, for the record.

As for the Basin, it's for
the Hydra, finding Dusk (Sorcery Vendor), Havel, a Black Knight, a Crystal Lizard, and a backdoor entrance to where Sif and the Forest Covenant is so you can save yourself 20,000 souls. Well, there's also the blue crystal guys that drop Blue Titanite, if I recall. Oh and leads to the Valley of the Drakes and the backdoor shortcut to Blighttown if you didn't get the Master Key as your Gift.

DigitalDevil said:
I'm just entering blighttown for the first time.... where is this gate you are talking about? Where's the Valley?

Going up the water wheel leads to 2 things. 1) Valley of the Drakes (up and to the left), 2) Fire Keeper Soul (up to the right). When you're in valley, cross the bridge and there is a door there, you have to unlock it from Firelink I believe.

edit: UGGGGH, I have to leave Blighttown the way I came in :| :|

scy

demosthenes said:
Going up the water wheel leads to 2 things. 1) Valley of the Drakes (up and to the left), 2) Fire Keeper Soul (up to the right). When you're in valley, cross the bridge and there is a door there, you have to unlock it from Firelink I believe.

I don't think you need to unlock it from the Firelink side, though it's been awhile that I haven't just went with the Master Key and went through it from the Firelink side :/

edit: UGGGGH, I have to leave Blighttown the way I came in :| :|

Can't you just go up and out through the Valley of the Drakes to Darkroot? Probably less frustrating than the Blighttown -> Depths way.

Brannon

Accidentally found an entire side area in Blighttown. And it was so unintentional; I never would've found it if I weren't being chased back by those leeches and flies. How is anyone ever supposed to find THAT area on purpose?

Dayum.

Finalow

corrosivefrost said:
the best advice for easy is to make sure you have no souls/humanity to lose -- kill the first orb as you see fit, kill the second orb with a bow so you don't have to deal with getting knocked into the holes and if you die after that, you can basically take a straight run for the root in the center after landing from the initial slide down.

Not sure if that helps, but from my experience, it was what I took away from it. :)
is there a video? It doesn't seems so easy.

Brannon said:
Accidentally found an entire side area in Blighttown. And it was so unintentional; I never would've found it if I weren't being chased back by those leeches and flies. How is anyone ever supposed to find THAT area on purpose?

Dayum.

You talking about Ash Lake?

scy

demosthenes said:
Darkroot...what where?

Facing out from the Blighttown entrance, head right to the Dragon and run past him, you'll need to kill the Drake up ahead (or bait it into jumping off and killing itself). At the area with the bridge on your left, go to the right to an Elevator you can take up to Darkroot Basin's bonfire. Go up from there to Darkroot Forest then to the Parish. Alternatively, you can go through Havel's Tower in the Basin.

about to head to the catacombs = i have a divine longsword +5...i heard i need a spell which casts light or something? what is this called and where can i pick it up from?

froliq

demosthenes said:
Darkroot...what where?
Instead of crossing the bridge to firelink in valley of drakes, you follow the path past that poisonous zombie drake and 2 more drakes, then you will get to an elavator that leads to the bonfire of darkroot basin.

scy said:
Facing out from the Blighttown entrance, head right to the Dragon and run past him, you'll need to kill the Drake up ahead (or bait it into jumping off and killing itself). At the area with the bridge on your left, go to the right to an Elevator you can take up to Darkroot Basin's bonfire. Go up from there to Darkroot Forest then to the Parish. Alternatively, you can go through Havel's Tower in the Basin.

Wow, never saw that before -_-;

Phat Michael said:
about to head to the catacombs = i have a divine longsword +5...i heard i need a spell which casts light or something? what is this called and where can i pick it up from?

"Cast Light"

Kill the Hydra in Darkroot.
Kill the golden golem behind it (follow left side)
Talk to the NPC there
Summon the NPC on the shore where you killed the Hydra, by items + spells.

scy

Phat Michael said:

You don't need it for the Catacombs but for the Tomb. If you're not an INT build, you probably won't get much use out of the Light spell. It's from Dusk, the NPC you can save in Darkroot Basin that is
imprisoned in the Gold Crystal Golem behind the Hydra; after saving her, you summon her from her soul sign at the shorline. While you're here, buy what you need from her and then return to where the Golem was to loot a body with her equipment on it. The Antiquated Skirt is the best Defense-to-Weight ratio Legs in the game

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
demosthenes said:
It helps connect Undead Burg w/ darkroot directly.

Also go behind the Hydra, kill the golden golem and talk w/ the person. Her summon sign is near where you killed the Hydra. Talking to her = good spells.

I haven't tried to fight the hydra yet, just ran to get the knight armor (kinda pointless if you have the elite knight armor) Anyway, whats the best way to kill it?

Also from most of the posts I've read, fire magic seems crucial to beating the game. I don't have any magic yet and haven't put any points on magic oriented skills. I've got 21 Dex, 19 strength, 17 vitality, 14 endurance. I modeled this character from my Demon Souls character but thats proving to be unwise (for one the halbeard sucks in this game). What should I concentrate on now? I can farm some crystal dudes for easy souls.

scy said:
I don't think you need to unlock it from the Firelink side, though it's been awhile that I haven't just went with the Master Key and went through it from the Firelink side :/

Can't you just go up and out through the Valley of the Drakes to Darkroot? Probably less frustrating than the Blighttown -> Depths way.

oh, I unlocked that door that lead to the Valley of the Drakes from Firelink.... am I good then?

x3r0123

DigitalDevil said:
oh, I unlocked that door that lead to the Valley of the Drakes from Firelink.... am I good then?

yes, you are good unless you didnt pick up some key treasures in the depths/upper blighttown

demosthenes said:
What class/weapon are you using?

3 lizards in you can get the lightning spear which is great. You can also get the item boost discovery ring which will help you w/ transiet curse drops.

There is no fire in Londo, it's not that big.

Sorry,
Warrior, using the drake sword and grass shield atm.
I'd have to farm for weeks to get enough souls to upgrade a longsword high enough to match the DS or so it seems.

DigitalDevil said:

Yea.

Truly, for Hydra make sure you have a shield that absorbs 100% physical. Get close to Hydra so it doesn't do the water stuff, watch the shore though, about 15 feet the shore drops off and you can die. Hydra will lunge w/ its head, keep your shield up and you should take no damage. Then whack @ heads.

scy

truly101 said:
I haven't tried to fight the hydra yet, just ran to get the knight armor (kinda pointless if you have the elite knight armor) Anyway, whats the best way to kill it?

When you hear it
rearing back to shoot at you, turn sharply to avoid getting hit (and keep your shield up, obviously). Repeat until you get to the shoreline. Once there, the Hydra will just lunge at you pointlessly and you can just hack off the heads systematically. Do be careful, though, as you can fall into the water and die so watch your footing directly around the Hydra.

Also from most of the posts I've read, fire magic seems crucial to beating the game. I don't have any magic yet and haven't put any points on magic oriented skills. I've got 21 Dex, 19 strength, 17 vitality, 14 endurance. I modeled this character from my Demon Souls character but thats proving to be unwise (for one the halbeard sucks in this game). What should I concentrate on now? I can farm some crystal dudes for easy souls.

What build are you going for? Well, regardless of that, Endurance should be higher and the Halberd is like my favorite Polearm besides the Great Scythe so not sure what to say there.

As for spells, Pyromancy is stat independent (barring Attunement for slots) so you can always use it to maximum effectiveness as long as you keep upgrading the Flame.

Woo, killed the two Gargoyles first attempt! It felt a little cheap because I had the Drake Sword thought.

Capra Demon on the other hand has killed me over and over.

Sorry,
I'd have to farm for weeks to get enough souls to upgrade a longsword high enough to match the DS or so it seems.

You can lure the lizards out and fight one at a time. Kill them, try to get to the lightning spear, it makes life so much easier @ that level.

demosthenes said:
Yea.

Truly, for Hydra make sure you have a shield that absorbs 100% physical. Get close to Hydra so it doesn't do the water stuff, watch the shore though, about 15 feet the shore drops off and you can die. Hydra will lunge w/ its head, keep your shield up and you should take no damage. Then whack @ heads.

Awesome... yeah I'm using the hollow shield +5, it's got 100% physical.

scosher

Ken said:
Are the soul arrows sorcery? How does their damage compare to pyromancer spells?

Pyromancy spells generally have less range, but have splash AoE effects. They also don't scale with stats, so they're essentially built to be the perfect complement to a Str or Dex focused character.

Sorcery has much more range (essentially whatever distance it takes to lock onto a target), better single target dmg if you pump up Int, but not much AoE capabilities. Also has a lot more utility spells than Pyromancy, which just has Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat really. Chameleon is a lot of fun to use particularly when you get invaded.

But as said earlier, nothing stops a sorcerer from using pyromancy spells either. Since most pyromancy spells are closer range, you can easily setup your weapon slots as Shield/Catalyst in left hand, and Weapon/Pyro flame in right. Since you'll mostly be using your sorceries at range, there's no need to keep the catalyst in the right hand with your shield, except to use the Magic Shield buff.

scy said:
You don't need it for the Catacombs but for the Tomb. If you're not an INT build, you probably won't get much use out of the Light spell. It's from Dusk, the NPC you can save in Darkroot Basin that is
imprisoned in the Gold Crystal Golem behind the Hydra; after saving her, you summon her from her soul sign at the shorline. While you're here, buy what you need from her and then return to where the Golem was to loot a body with her equipment on it. The Antiquated Skirt is the best Defense-to-Weight ratio Legs in the game

cheers man. my INT is 60 so i shouldnt have a problem with any spells. i saw that hydra in the dark root basin when i went there before the crest door to grind....i guess ill have to go back there again and get it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
God, I can't wait to get to play tonight. Been too long, what a week.

I think I'll start by trying to own New Londo, at the least get my parrying dagger, maybe try to get two jagged ghost blades depending on how I do against the ghosts.

Then I'll return to Demon Ruins (which I like, screw the haters).

scy

Phat Michael said:
cheers man. my INT is 60 so i shouldnt have a problem with any spells. i saw that hydra in the dark root basin when i went there before the crest door to grind....i guess ill have to go back there again and get it.

In that case, her crown is also +Spell Damage (30%) that stacks with the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring. Nice to have for casters but, personally, I find it (and the Skirt) to look a little odd on male characters. Not sure if relevant to you but worth mentioning just in case, lol.

Sorry,

Personally, I'd use a 100% Physical Shield (Hollow Soldier Shield when upgraded is pretty much one of the best shields that can still parry) over the Grass Crest; I hate taking block damage :/ Anyway, you can lure the Snake guards at Sen forward a bit to take them one at a time. Alternatively, avoid the trap until you get both their attention and then backpedal over the trap so it shoots them in the back. All three arrows on the same Snake guard kills it.

Brannon said:

Dayum.

Ash Lake? It is a completely optional area and there are a number of sections in this game that you would likely not find without some direction or a lot of smacking walls. Perhaps some NPCs or items make mention of it. My NG+ will be a much more thorough and methodical approach to the lore.

Also - last boss was very hard until I equipped Iron Flesh and a crystal halberd (hitting for about 250 each time). Then it was over in about 40 seconds - decided to light the fire to save the good ending for NG+.

johntown

Banned
Phat Michael said:
What your SL? That INT seems really high for a first run through.

DigitalDevil said:
Yeah that was a tough fight. I managed to pull the knight out of the church though, and then just hid behind pillars and shot the mage guy in the face a few times. Thank god he doesn't respawn.

Apparently, if you don't kill him before ascending the stairs towards the gargoyles he
casts a spell that makes all the ghouls up there much stronger
. I would hate to experience that first hand.

Yeah, I did exactly the same thing. I pulled the knight outside and killed the mage with arrows, hiding behind some pillars. I'm really glad I didn't have to go through
him powering up all those ghouls
. That would have been brutal.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
You can pretty easily run past that strong monster and explore Darkroot Garden. There's some good equipment there that you may be able to grab, especially if you don't mind doing suicide runs.

Ok, I'll consider that. But somehow getting that nice stuff without killing the monster first feels like cheating. Or maybe not cheating, but like I don't deserve it. For the same reason, I didn't get all that nice stuff at the graveyard until I managed to kill all the skeletons there. I can be silly like that, sometimes.

Speevy

Banned
Okay, I have no arrows of any kind in Anor Londo.

If I manage to get off a dung pile on one of those archers, will they go toxic even after they kill me? Do they respawn?

scy

hydrophilic attack said:
Ok, I'll consider that. But somehow getting that nice stuff without killing the monster first feels like cheating. Or maybe not cheating, but like I don't deserve it. For the same reason, I didn't get all that nice stuff at the graveyard until I managed to kill all the skeletons there. I can be silly like that, sometimes.

He's not really indicative of the difficulty of enemies in the Darkroot Forest or Basin (he's a lot harder than nearly everything after him); sort of a mini-boss, I guess. Also, he's kind of unrelated to the entire area beyond him.

He's also not too bad short of his little hopping up and landing on you pole first thing (since it tends to go over the block or in the back). Unless you don't have the Stamina to block his combo, then he's stupid frustrating :/

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
scy said:

Hold on, you don't have to face any drakes. Taking the second entry/exit from blighttown, you get a key before the three dung ogres, thak key opens a path that goes straight to the entrance of new londo ruins, just below the firelink shrine. Getting out of blighttown through the second exit, you get in front of some planks forming a brigde, just cross it and open the door, you're on new londo ruins.

scy said:
He's not really indicative of the difficulty of enemies in the Darkroot Forest or Basin (he's a lot harder than nearly everything after him); sort of a mini-boss, I guess. Also, he's kind of unrelated to the entire area beyond him.

He's also not too bad short of his little hopping up and landing on you pole first thing (since it tends to go over the block or in the back). Unless you don't have the Stamina to block his combo, then he's stupid frustrating :/

Does he respawn? For me, the worst thing about him is that I do almost no damage to him. I do like ten to fifteen per hit both with arrows and up close with sword and shield. But I guess his attacks aren't so bad, except for that jump attack. As you say, it is rather hard to block.

Xanathus

TheExodu5 said:
I'm level 50 right now and I'm kind of daunted by the task ahead of me. I want to kill Ornstein last so I can make his spear.

:(
Yeah I'm kinda dreading that because you can't even summon real players to help you since they'll usually kill Ornstein first.

TP

TheExodu5 said:
I'm level 50 right now and I'm kind of daunted by the task ahead of me. I want to kill Ornstein last so I can make his spear.

Co-op makes that fight really easy, just message them and let them know before the fight.

TheExodu5 said:

Always try to position Smough between yourself and Ornstein as a shield to protect you from Ornstein while you kill fatboy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Xanathus said:
Yeah I'm kinda dreading that because you can't even summon real players to help you since they'll usually kill Ornstein first.
My two guys killed Smough first, I got very lucky. Love Ornstein's armor on my ninja.

Macattk15

Four Kings are gonna be a pain for me on my pyromancer ... I just know it. Laurentius took off for Blightown before I could get Iron Flesh from him ...

Jeo said:
Co-op makes that fight really easy, just message them and let them know before the fight.
I know this is going to sound retarded, but how are you guys sending messages? What, are you writing the names down then exciting to the xmb to send the message or is there some other way?

Zzoram

Macattk15 said:
Four Kings are gonna be a pain for me on my pyromancer ... I just know it. Laurentius took off for Blightown before I could get Iron Flesh from him ...
No Iron Skin makes the game 10x harder.

TP

DigitalDevil said:
I know this is going to sound retarded, but how are you guys sending messages? What, are you writing the names down then exciting to the xmb to send the message or is there some other way?

Players met list

On PS3 go to friends then to Players Met
360 can do the same

falconzss

Yay, made it through Blighttown on my first try and beat Chaos Witch Quelaag without dying.

Quick question guys regarding the second bell.

I have freed
Lautrec and heard he's going to kill Anastacia of Astoria. My Estus Flask Lvl is +2 right now. Should i first lvl up my Estus Flask before ringing the bell? Haven't found another FireKeeper yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom