• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheExodu5 said:
I'm level 50 right now and I'm kind of daunted by the task ahead of me. I want to kill Ornstein last so I can make his spear.

:(
You can do it man! I soloed that fight and killed Ornstein last playing as a pure melee character so take heart!

Also, the prize is well worth it. I'm SL 72 and I'm still using his armor.

sixghost

Has anyone seen a picture of anyone with the Mimic Head helmet?

Maybe it's just a joke, but the guide says it exists. Apparently it's a S-rank(the rarest) drop from a Mimic, of which there are maybe 7-8 in the whole game.

It's supposed to increase item find 200, reduces stamina recovery, and causes you to lose 5hp a second.

What a weird item.

falconzss said:
Yay, made it through Blighttown on my first try and beat Chaos Witch Quelaag without dying.

Quick question guys regarding the second bell.

I have freed
Lautrec and heard he's going to kill Anastacia of Astoria. My Estus Flask Lvl is +2 right now. Should i first lvl up my Estus Flask before ringing the bell? Haven't found another FireKeeper yet.
How did you get to +2 without finding another soul after the church?

Leezard

falconzss said:
Yay, made it through Blighttown on my first try and beat Chaos Witch Quelaag without dying.

I have freed
Lautrec and heard he's going to kill Anastacia of Astoria. My Estus Flask Lvl is +2 right now. Should i first lvl up my Estus Flask before ringing the bell? Haven't found another FireKeeper yet.
There's a firekeeper near the second bell

scy

DuendeSmoker said:
Hold on, you don't have to face any drakes. Taking the second entry/exit from blighttown, you get a key before the three dung ogres, thak key opens a path that goes straight to the entrance of new londo ruins, just below the firelink shrine. Getting out of blighttown through the second exit, you get in front of some planks forming a brigde, just cross it and open the door, you're on new londo ruins.

Right, but I was giving directions to Darkroot in particular. And you can open the door to Firelink from the Valley side, right? I was pretty sure on that but not positive.

hydrophilic attack said:
Does he respawn? For me, the worst thing about him is that I do almost no damage to him. I do like ten to fifteen per hit both with arrows and up close with sword and shield. But I guess his attacks aren't so bad, except for that jump attack. As you say, it is rather hard to block.

He does not respawn and he takes awhile to chip down with pure physical damage if I recall. I killed him my first time through the game to the utter dismay of ... some Titanite I didn't know what to do with and like 1000 souls. :(

TheExodu5 said:
I'm level 50 right now and I'm kind of daunted by the task ahead of me. I want to kill Ornstein last so I can make his spear.

:(

It's honestly not that bad, though I say this after the dynamic duo giving me trouble last night :/ Still, you can
keep Smough between you and Ornstein and you can poke Smough safely-ish with Spears or thrust attacks; if you have short-range melee weapons, some of Ornstein's attacks (the lunge, namely) can actually go through Smough. Dumbly.

Berserked Ornstein isn't too bad since he suffers the same problem every Giant boss does: His attacks whiff at super-close range. He does have his scary Lightning Thrust but he charges it up and then backsteps on the lunge so you can usually escape in time. Besides that, he can jump up and land for a small Lightning Quake but it's also telegraphed. Wide open here for some spells, too, if you have them.

Haha, been stuck on Seath for a while because I thought you had to cut off his tail to stop him regenerating. I was starting to get really confused as to how people were damaging him before doing that when I helped them out. Was a real doh moment when I read about the crystal thing, managed to kill him quickly after that. What a relief, was getting sick of running through those caves over and over.

scy

falconzss said:

I have freed

Wait, what? How?
Anastacia's death
trigger is finding a second Fire Keeper soul.

Toth

scy said:
Generally speaking, Sorcery spells will do more damage than Pyromancer spells in the end. Magic Adjust on the Catalysts goes a bit higher than Pyromancer Flame's Magic Adjust but, even then, they just have better spells than the really useful Pyromancer ones (i.e., Crystal spells vs Great Chaos). Pyromancy also will front end a lot more damage early on vs Sorcery casting faster or with more charges before Sorcery starts taking the advantage at the end-game spells.

...that said, absolutely nothing stops a Sorcery using character from using Pyromancies, short of having to have both a Flame and a Catalyst around.

Very true. I was playing my sorcerer build straight up for most of the game and switched to pyromancy around the lovely duo of death. I never went back. Pyromancy is just too much fun and will dominate the Lords. A good build of Fireball, Chaos Fireball, Combustion, Great? Combustion, and Iron Flesh and you are set.

Just to ram home the point, the speed run on Youtube was completed in just over an hr by a guy using pyromancy on almost all the bosses.

kodt

Banned
scy said:
Wait, what? How?
Anastacia's death
trigger is finding a second Fire Keeper soul.

No I don't think so,
knight laurtec kills her, if you freed him, once you enter the depths
You can get a second firekeeper soul pretty easily in New Londo Ruins.

Zzoram

DigitalDevil said:
I know this is going to sound retarded, but how are you guys sending messages? What, are you writing the names down then exciting to the xmb to send the message or is there some other way?
That's the only way.

scy

Spruchy said:
Nope, there's other fire keeper's souls in the game.

Right, there's more (and more Fire Keepers) but that trigger is finding a second soul. Regardless of which soul it is (i.e., Church -> New Londo, New Londo -> Blighttown, whatever order).

kodt said:
No I don't think so,

You don't have to free him. He'll free himself. Even then, I don't think any location triggers it as I'm sure a lot of sequence breaking done by Master Key gift players would have pointed this out by now. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed since I typically do the Depths early on.

Hawkian said:
Thought it was ringing the second bell.

It's an and/or kind of thing. Either by the time both bells are rung or whenever you find your second Fire Keeper soul. Whichever happens first.

I'm sure I upgraded my estus flask to +2 before that happened though.

kodt said:
No I don't think so,

Yeah I think thats the second firekeeper soul I did it with, went there pretty early.

scy

Air Zombie Meat said:
I'm sure I upgraded my estus flask to +2 before that happened though.

Yeah I think thats the second firekeeper soul I did it with, went there pretty early.

Hmmm. Next playthrough I do, I'll try out some things, then. I'm just pretty certain the only consistent trigger I've ever seen across about 5 characters now (plus other people's experiences) is that the second Fire Keeper soul, in general, will trigger it. Perhaps New Londo second bypasses it but I can't imagine why since it'll count for the opposite (NL -> Parish or NL -> Blighttown).

I know the guide says Depths as the trigger but I went out of my way to check that this recent character (that and I wanted Gaping Dragon's easy Souls >>) and it's false. I know entering Blighttown isn't the trigger since I do that run at the start of the game as well.

Not that this really matters much in the end, lol.

I'm SL 105 currently going as a str build. Been using the Furysword and it actually pretty good. Only scales with humanity up to 10 though. I'm thinking of using the Stone Great Sword and upgrading it. It scales and does both physical and magical damage. Maybe Dragon's Tooth? It'll never lose durability.

Kyoufu

Macattk15 said:
No way. That's how I beat 4 kings on my other characters who wore high armor. Cast Iron Flesh and just 2H'ed my best weapon and beat them down.

That is what he is saying... The game would be harder without it.

Ken

So I left the Forest Hunter covenant for the Darkwraith covenant. Is it possible for me to get the Darkwraith items, leave it and return to the Forest Hunter covenant, and continue using the Darkwraith items. I want Shiva and his bodyguard to re-appear so I can grab the ninja ring.

Hawkian said:
Who teaches Iron Flesh? I don't have any magic yet :p But if it's that necessary...

Laurentius (pyromancer in the Depths) I think.

For some reason, when I took on the Four Kings last night, I couldn't activate Iron Flesh at all while in New Londo Ruins so I had to do the fight without Iron Flesh. It was actually kind of easy without Iron Flesh (block his physical attacks, rotate around, and spam spells). He seems to have a pretty long idle time between attackcs.

scy said:
Hmmm. Next playthrough I do, I'll try out some things, then. I'm just pretty certain the only consistent trigger I've ever seen across about 5 characters now (plus other people's experiences) is that the second Fire Keeper soul, in general, will trigger it. Perhaps New Londo second bypasses it but I can't imagine why since it'll count for the opposite (NL -> Parish or NL -> Blighttown).

I know the guide says Depths as the trigger but I went out of my way to check that this recent character (that and I wanted Gaping Dragon's easy Souls >>) and it's false. I know entering Blighttown isn't the trigger since I do that run at the start of the game as well.

Heh, true. This is the internet though, can't have someone being wrong on it..lol Anyway fwiw, Depths didn't trigger it for me, it happened right after ringing the second bell.

Ken

Hawkian said:
In the Depths or Blighttown? I don't think I saw any Pyromancers in the Depths.

He's at the beginning of the Depths trapped in a barrel. Roll into it to break and rescue him, and he'll head to Firelink.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
scy said:
Right, but I was giving directions to Darkroot in particular. And you can open the door to Firelink from the Valley side, right? I was pretty sure on that but not positive.

The "order" would be that, you find the key going in that direction.

Well if you have the master key you can open it anytime.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ken said:
He's at the beginning of the Depths trapped in a barrel. Roll into it to break and rescue him, and he'll head to Firelink.
Oh so the pyromancer I've got sitting in Firelink. Hope he's still there...

Ken

Doc Evils said:
I finished Anor Londo and placed the vessel.

Where do I go next?

I went to New Londo Ruins.

Where is the entrance to Lost Izalith? I've seen the newly opened gates in Demon's Ruin and Anor Londo, but I've never come across a third yellow gate. I also have the shortcut to Lost Izalith but don't know where it is. Also, what's a good order to take on those 3 new areas?

scy

Air Zombie Meat said:
Heh, true. This is the internet though, can't have someone being wrong on it..lol Anyway fwiw, Depths didn't trigger it for me, it happened right after ringing the second bell.

Nah, more of a case of I must know or else it will eat me up inside. Like 80% of my gaming these days is to figure out mechanics more than the actual playing :/

Duende Smoker said:
The "order" would be that, you find the key going in that direction.

That's what I figured but someone needed help getting out of the Blighttown backdoor and couldn't go to the New Londo shortcut and it made me question if I had it right or not (since, as you say, the key is found on that side anyway).

IJoel

I think I met my match (
Smaugh & Ornstein
). I'm kinda annoyed at this game's cheap boss fights/scenarios.

scy said:
Nah, more of a case of I must know or else it will eat me up inside. Like 80% of my gaming these days is to figure out mechanics more than the actual playing :/

Thats cool, I wasn't having a dig at you, just the nature of internet discussions in general. :)

brentech

Finally beat Sif. I had been trying pretty much entirely melee, but as I have soul arrows I decided to give that a go and keep it ranged. If he happened to leap up and land over me, I did take out my sword and whack at the legs until he left me again. Found on his double spin or double hack attempts to get just barely outside of his range and fire a spell off.

Seemed to work. I did still have to use like 5 flasks though. Should be interesting in NG+. Hopefully my strat works then.

Ken

johntown said:
Holy crap! You can probably one shot most bosses at that level.

Once you get that high, especially this early, isn't it pretty difficult to invade or be summoned by anyone?

I guess you could be invaded by the Forest Hunter covenant.

Ken said:
Once you get that high, especially this early, isn't it pretty difficult to invade or be summoned by anyone?

I'm higher than that (around SL 390) and I still get invaded now and then. Granted, it's usually by Fog Ring, Strong Magic Barrier glitching jerks, but still.

johntown

Banned
Ken said:

Why would you need to summon anyone? With a level that high through a first run it should be super easy.

I guess he could still be invaded unless it goes by what games your in like NG+, NG++ etc or if it is just by what level you are on.

Ken

KoreanBarbecue said:
I'm higher than that (around SL 390) and I still get invaded now and then. Granted, it's usually by Fog Ring, Strong Magic Barrier glitching jerks, but still.
Oh wow. How many hours did it take to get that high?

Dresden

Kind of want to do a Berserk build with some heavy armor, no helm, a Greatsword and a crossbow.

Or maybe just a daggers only guy, no magic. I wonder how feasible it is to grab the parrying dagger right at the start.

johntown

Banned
KoreanBarbecue said:
Is it your first run though? Or NG+++? For DS I went through the game almost 4 times and I was only at SL 148

Ken

johntown said:
Why would you need to summon anyone? With a level that high through a first run it should be super easy.

I guess he could still be invaded unless it goes by what games your in like NG+, NG++ etc or if it is just by what level you are on.
Not summon people but help other people out. The online seems really neat to me so I don't really want to level past what the average SL is so I can do more online stuff.

johntown said:
Is it your first run though? Or NG+++? For DS I went through the game almost 4 times and I was only at SL 148

I'm around 125 hours played, just about at the end of my NG+ playthrough (just have Smeath to beat and then the final boss). I did A LOT of soul farming. Tried the soul glitch once, but wasn't a fan and felt like cheating. I guess soul farming is kind of cheating, too, but oh well.

kodt

Banned
scy said:

I have seen people claim that they went straight to blight town with master key, without freeing Laurtec and that the firekeeper died.

johntown

Banned
Ken said:
Not summon people but help other people out. The online seems really neat to me so I don't really want to level past what the average SL is so I can do more online stuff.
Yeah, I am the same way but I know I am not going to really get too much into the PVP until they at least fix the fog ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom