• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2d

Completed it today and can't decide if I like this or Demon's better. I like the open world and covenant system more but the awful frame rate of Blighttown and New Londo etc actually made me shelve the game for a while.

I hope From polishes the next entry more, give me some sort of enemy encyclopedia in game and adds a proper ending.
Yoshichan said:
Parry, stab, parry, stab, parry, stab.

Final battle spoilers!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5b6cQjqpEk

GEEEEGEEEE!
Tack o bock.

Facism

Ken said:
So I left the Forest Hunter covenant for the Darkwraith covenant. Is it possible for me to get the Darkwraith items, leave it and return to the Forest Hunter covenant, and continue using the Darkwraith items. I want Shiva and his bodyguard to re-appear so I can grab the ninja ring.

Laurentius (pyromancer in the Depths) I think.

For some reason, when I took on the Four Kings last night, I couldn't activate Iron Flesh at all while in New Londo Ruins so I had to do the fight without Iron Flesh. It was actually kind of easy without Iron Flesh (block his physical attacks, rotate around, and spam spells). He seems to have a pretty long idle time between attackcs.

were you cursed or using transient curse? you cant cast iron flesh whilst either is active. luckily, you do not need to be cursed or use transient to damage the 4 kings, allowing you to cast iron flesh

Kyoufu

J2d said:
Completed it today and can't decide if I like this or Demon's better. I like the open world and covenant system more but the awful frame rate of Blighttown and New Londo etc actually made me shelve the game for a while.

I hope From polishes the next entry more, give me some sort of enemy encyclopedia in game and adds a proper ending.

Tack o bock.

Namco is to blame for the game's lack of polish.

JVIDICAN

electroshockwave said:
I've been summoned a few times by the covenant ring but I don't think there's a level restriction for that. And a lot of the time it seems to be players who are waiting for someone to invade them so they've got a phantom with them, or they're using the fog ring or some kind of glitch.
Yeah, the people you'd find in dark anor londo are the exact same ones you'd find in the Forrest. Soul LVL 700 with a fully upgrade lightning weapon and for some stupid reason a phantom of equal LVL as back up. >:/

I think from a PvE aspect, Dark Soul's is better. I never really got into the PvP in either Demon's or Dark Souls yet to be able to comment on that aspect - but due to the bugs/glitches/unbalanced items -- seems like Demon's may be best until those other issues resolved.

The interlocking open world is great for the most part. I like the enemy diversity, navigating around the world, most of the boss fights were well done / interesting. Frame rate issues aside, so far the only really low-point has been Demon's Ruins / Lost Izalith - getting through there felt like a chore. Not because it was hard, just because it was tedious and boring.

I still have to wrap up Tomb of the Giants (I'm enjoying it so far, made a pit-stop to farm some Humanity) and Dukes Archives before I'm done with this run through - but so far I'm loving it.

J2d

Kyoufu said:
Have you got a source for that? I have no problem hating on Namco but I'd like to hear about the development process.

Ill Saint

Finished first run in just over 100 hours, level 83. Took my time, saw the sights, worked up my gear, had a lot of fun. For whatever it's worth, I'll post some thoughts.

An immense, incredibly rewarding, deep, ambitious and sophisticated game. Maybe a bit too ambitious at times, which clearly has left some people disappointed. But this is the kind ambition the industry needs. From really tried to innovate, particularly with online play, and I give them huge props for their effort, flawed as it might be.

Seems like some people got a bit spoiled by the scope of some of the early areas and expect all of them to be equally as large and involved. The way I see it, Tomb of Giants is an extension of Catacombs, as is Lost Izalith to Demon Ruins, and Crystal Cave to Duke's Archives. In this regard there is plenty of content and exploration here to rival Undead Burg, Darkroot and so on.

If it weren't for information sharing and guides, I doubt many people would even find Great Hollow and Ash Lake. Think of them as a bonus.

Valley of Drakes is clearly an intermediary area, this is not inherently negative.

The level of care and quality took a dip in Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, yes, but I think the total negativity towards the end-game areas is kinda overstated.

In any case, there was so much to see, do, find and overcome that every new area, small or large filled me with a mix of excitement, fear, anxiety and wonder. The variety and inventiveness was a joy.

I don't have too many complaints, frame-rate issues don't bother me, as I didn't find the gameplay to be adversely affected. Unbalanced PvP is a problem, but I suck anyway so I don't take it seriously enough to get frustrated. End-game disappointing? Not in my view. Thoroughly rewarding, and epic throughout. This is the kind of game I dreamed about since I was a kid. It's a rare breed of game that we're lucky to have.

Thank you, From Soft!

Kyoufu

J2d said:
Have you got a source for that? I have no problem hating on Namco but I'd like to hear about the development process.

Who else do you blame when the game ships with bugs, glitches, super slow framerates and PS3 crashing after the game intro on the day of release? From my perspective, it doesn't look like the game had any time with QA.

That is what happens when your publisher sets your date and demands it out by then.

frequency

I actually find Dark Soul's bosses to be way less interesting. Most of them all I did was strafe around them or roll under their legs and hit them in the butt.

I also find the more open world worse than the levels in Demon's Souls. There were a lot of cases where I just didn't know where I was supposed to go next. And I hate having to run through the same areas over and over again just to get somewhere else. In Demon's Souls, I was never lost in the sense that I had no idea what area I should be at next. I also like starting at the last boss fight for the next section of that level. I feel I do a lot more running around for nothing in Dark Souls.

I think it's the environment (art-wise) but I also felt way more tense and way more cautious about what was around the corner in Demon's Souls. The only time I walked with my shield up because I was worried in Dark Souls was in the Tomb of the Giants. And that was just because
it was completely dark

I also feel Dark Souls is a lot cheaper than Demon's Souls. I can say Demon's Souls is a fair difficulty. Dark Souls is a cheap difficulty in a lot of areas... like
the archers in Anor Londo or the dogs with the Capra Demon or the stupid darkness in the Tomb or ghosts with no clip mode on in tight hallways

krakov

What are those twin humanity crabs you sometimes run into? They don't work especially well I think. Had one of them show up inside one of the ambush doors in lower Undead Burg once, unable to do anything other than clip through the wall. Just now I had one on top of New Londo Ruins while I was cleaning out the bottom. Instantly oneshotted by some homing white light from an enemy you can't see or reach. Awesome.

Also, summoning failed.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Septimius said:
Umh. My PS3 is currently in the process of rebuilding the database. Should I be worried?

I rebuild my database on my PS3 every couple of weeks. Routine maintenance as far as I'm concerned. My PS3 has never been healthier since I started doing it.

anddo0

I DID IT! ^_^

Only took me 120+hours (sl 109), lol! lot's of grinding (I'll have those weapon trophies in no time, it's all about the slabs from here on in) and idol time. Also throw in more combined deaths than all my Demon Souls playthroughs.

NG+ here I come!

MechaX

Poor Solaire. You're just as useless fighting the Gaping Dragon as you were the first time around. But I appreciate your bravado for trying.

Bleh... Time to return to Blighttown. But so far I just haven't... felt any sense of danger with the bosses. This is a far cry from NG+ Flamelurker or Maneater from Demon's Souls where I could get stomped even with a SL100+ character. It's not so much damage out-put, but that a lot of the bosses just have poor attack patterns despite their capacity to deal heavy damage.

Aeana

Kyoufu said:
I wanted to thank you for telling me about the hydra thing and that armor set. I managed to get it, and I also noticed that that armor set has a ton of curse resistance on it, so that should be useful in the depths.

2AdEPT

scy said:
I don't think you need to unlock it from the Firelink side, though it's been awhile that I haven't just went with the Master Key and went through it from the Firelink side :/

Can't you just go up and out through the Valley of the Drakes to Darkroot? Probably less frustrating than the Blighttown -> Depths way.
THere is a key entitled "new londo key" in BLighttown that opens that gate...hope you didn't go back for nothing...I think the key is a pretty obvious item in and around the wheel....could be in the area witht eh firekeeper soul? I go tthe key but didn't need it as I was using master anyway and came in through the back door in the first place! :p

Kyoufu

Aeana said:
I wanted to thank you for telling me about the hydra thing and that armor set. I managed to get it, and I also noticed that that armor set has a ton of curse resistance on it, so that should be useful in the depths.

You're welcome, and yeah I used that set when I travelled to Ash Lake. The frogs on the way could be problematic without high curse resistance/high humanity.

d0c_zaius

I'm at the point where the game just isn't fun anymore. Dukes Archives, Crystal Cave, Lost Izalith (or whatever its called).

Sucks, never had this issue with Demon's Souls.

Fuuuuuck. I knew Fire Keeper Souls upgrades your Estus Flask so I just used the first one from inventory and got the humanity. Didn't know you had to see a special person. Are there enough for me to get +7 or will I always be behind?

Don't want to start over

Saren is Bad said:
Fuuuuuck. I knew Fire Keeper Souls upgrades your Estus Flask so I just used the first one from inventory and got the humanity. Didn't know you had to see a special person. Are there enough for me to get +7 or will I always be behind?

Don't want to start over

I wouldn't restart over that, I don't think one estus flask upgrade is that useful. Kindling is much more important.

Kyoufu

Saren is Bad said:

Don't want to start over

There should be enough but honestly, I beat the game with +2 only lol. You'll be fine!

MechaX

Aeana said:
Woot, just beat Capra Demon on my first try.

Good going. The big problem that most (myself included) have with the boss is that there are so many ways the first 10 seconds can go wrong and that will cost you the fight.

Finalow

ok, only one more to the final boss!

. do i have to keep the ring even during the boss fight? (against 4 kings)

. anyone for a co-op? My SL is 135 and i have to finish new londo ruins + the abyss + the boss.

Aeana

MechaX said:
Good going. The big problem that most (myself included) have with the boss is that there are so many ways the first 10 seconds can go wrong and that will cost you the fight.
I can see that. He charged right for me, I had no idea what was going on. It was just luck that I managed to roll at the right time, I think. After that though, he was really easy to avoid and once I one-shotted each dog with my drake sword, I just cast great soul arrow a couple of times and he was gone.

Kyoufu

MechaX said:

It's a pretty easy fight if you go to the forest and pick up the Stone armour set. The high poise/defense means you can just burn the demon down.

finalozzo said:

. anyone for a co-op? My SL is 135 and i have to finish new londo ruins + the abyss + the boss.

I would offer to help but the last time I tried, it just didn't work. Need patch :(

I think I'm about ready to fight Gwyn.
SL86 or so, 30 int, 20 Faith, 22 Str, 27 End, 20 dex, 23 Vit...

Do I need to save my spells and run past the black knights? Or are spells useless against him -- I'd like to do this right as I'm sitting on 30 humanity.

finalozzo said:

Don't quote me on this, but I'm going to say no -- my lordvessel lets me warp to abyss and i've done so without the ring on... I think you just need it when you jump until you fall... if you're quick enough with the swap, I should think it won't kill you to do so, unless a king rapes your face while you're in the menus.

Wallachia

WHOOT! I actually got summoned a whole ONE TIME last nite! That is huge, for me :)

It was to New Londo Ruins though.. thank god my partner had the ability to kill the ghosts. I didn't at the time.

scy

Aeana said:
I can see that. He charged right for me, I had no idea what was going on. It was just luck that I managed to roll at the right time, I think. After that though, he was really easy to avoid and once I one-shotted each dog with my drake sword, I just cast great soul arrow a couple of times and he was gone.

Basically. Capra can RNG his double overhead as his opening salvo and that usually just shatters your guard for most people. Surviving that and getting to the stairs is pretty big. You can usually infinitely loop going up the stairs, dropping down to heal / kill a dog, and repeating for awhile since Capra hesitates before falling. Once it's just him, he's basically just a big meanie with a wide swing.

2AdEPT said:
THere is a key entitled "new londo key" in BLighttown that opens that gate...hope you didn't go back for nothing...I think the key is a pretty obvious item in and around the wheel....could be in the area witht eh firekeeper soul? I go tthe key but didn't need it as I was using master anyway and came in through the back door in the first place! :p

If I recall, it's right after the three Ogres in a chest so it's pretty hard to miss. That reminds me, though, of my first time through Blighttown. I entered from the Valley side and went all the way to the Depths entrance (that I didn't open) and spent an hour or so doing stupid jumps trying to figure out what super secret lever I was missing.

I was pretty angry at myself when I found that the boss is all of like a minute run from the Valley entrance and I had backtracked to the opposite side :/

x3r0123

finalozzo said:

i'm down for this since i have some spare time tonight
what is your preferred time in est zone

npm0925

I completed the game as a heavy armor / spear / shield user and have restarted as a faith / pyromancer build with the goal of completing all of the covenant quests. I'm surprised how much easier the game becomes on a second playthrough. I just wish the multiplayer was more active.

Saren is Bad said:

Don't want to start over

Not worth starting over because. I'm at level 66 now, and with my flask up to +3 - it nearly fills my entire bar as-is, getting it up to +7 for your first playthrough is probably over kill - and not possible unless you are willing to kill the fire-keepers (of which I'll probably do just before NG+).

frequency said:
I actually find Dark Soul's bosses to be way less interesting. Most of them all I did was strafe around them or roll under their legs and hit them in the butt.

I also find the more open world worse than the levels in Demon's Souls. There were a lot of cases where I just didn't know where I was supposed to go next. And I hate having to run through the same areas over and over again just to get somewhere else. In Demon's Souls, I was never lost in the sense that I had no idea what area I should be at next. I also like starting at the last boss fight for the next section of that level. I feel I do a lot more running around for nothing in Dark Souls.

I think it's the environment (art-wise) but I also felt way more tense and way more cautious about what was around the corner in Demon's Souls. The only time I walked with my shield up because I was worried in Dark Souls was in the Tomb of the Giants. And that was just because
it was completely dark

I also feel Dark Souls is a lot cheaper than Demon's Souls. I can say Demon's Souls is a fair difficulty. Dark Souls is a cheap difficulty in a lot of areas... like
the archers in Anor Londo or the dogs with the Capra Demon or the stupid darkness in the Tomb or ghosts with no clip mode on in tight hallways

Most of the things you don't like, I didn't mind or enjoyed.

The dogs with Cara were a bit annoying, but once you figured out "use the stairs to your advantage" it wasn't that hard. And, saw a post on another forum to use alluring skulls / aural decoy to make them stop in their tracks, turn around and focus that way - opening up things for an easy kill. The fact that this fight can be approached in so many ways is interesting.

The archers in Anor Londo? .. probably one of the few times I felt that they were being cheap - but once I figured it out was sort of a "Well Duh!" moment - and don't hate it quite as much now. These games have a way of presenting you with things that feels impossible - but once you figure out the solution you realize just how easy it actually was - the archers is one of those cases.

I'm also not getting the hate-on for Tomb of the Giants - if you go stumbling around there completely in the dark that's your own fault. There are a few options for light sources in this game - from the skull lantern that you find down there (and the glowing blue dot effect is cool IMO), to the spell "Cast Light", or finding the helmet that also acts as a light source - if you are stumbling around in complete darkness, than that's your own fault - not the game being cheap.

I love the open world design with not much in-game tips on where to go - it encourages a sense of exploration. I haven't really gotten bored of running around it yet - I just wish that the later levels had the same type of interconnected nature that the earlier ones do - You can see Ash Lack from Tomb of the Giants - why not try fitting in some sort of short-cut near the warp stone for the Dragon Covenant?

knitoe

MechaX said:
Oh man, looking at the Book of Guilty and Chaos Servant rosters and seeing all these people at SL700 and shit... Wow.
Those people probably all use the unlimited soul glitch. I farm the Darkroot like crazy and only am LS160.

MechaX

knitoe said:
Those people probably all use the unlimited soul glitch. I farm the Darkroot like crazy and only am LS160.

Without a doubt. It's just a shame that glitch has fucked over a lot of the multiplayer element.

EDIT: FUUUUU- God, why in the hell did Namco even allow the game to ship with Blighttown in such a state? The slowdown got so atrocious at one point that it completely messed up a jump. Yeah, 20k souls is chump change at this point, but I still had 10 humanity!

Kyoufu

MechaX said:
Without a doubt. It's just a shame that glitch has fucked over a lot of the multiplayer element.

The glitch hasn't done anything to the multi-player. High level stats don't break the game, glitched items/overpowered spells/weapons do.

frequency

rogerroger22 said:
The archers in Anor Londo? .. probably one of the few times I felt that they were being cheap - but once I figured it out was sort of a "Well Duh!" moment - and don't hate it quite as much now. These games have a way of presenting you with things that feels impossible - but once you figure out the solution you realize just how easy it actually was - the archers is one of those cases.

I'm also not getting the hate-on for Tomb of the Giants - if you go stumbling around there completely in the dark that's your own fault. There are a few options for light sources in this game - from the skull lantern that you find down there (and the glowing blue dot effect is cool IMO), to the spell "Cast Light", or finding the helmet that also acts as a light source - if you are stumbling around in complete darkness, than that's your own fault - not the game being cheap.
About the archers, yeah. Once I looked it up I was able to deal with it easily. But I never had to look anything up in Demon's Souls. It was all fair in that game. I don't feel anything is impossible here, it's just cheap.

And about the Tomb. I need to go a reasonable distance in the dark to get that lantern. I couldn't get "Cast Light" because I don't have the INT to use it. Not to mention that the lady who teaches you that spell is hidden and not everyone would find her. And I have no idea what this light helmet you're talking about is. So it's my fault that the game locked the spell to me, put the lantern a fair distance in, and hasn't done anything to tell me about this light helmet I know nothing about? Or I guess I should have looked online to find this information... except that's cheap. I didn't have to look online for Demon's Souls or any game really.

MechaX

Kyoufu said:
The glitch hasn't done anything to the multi-player. High level stats don't break the game, glitched items/overpowered spells/weapons do.

Eh... High stats do a lot when considering that a fair amount of PvP Covenants (and the forest) seemingly ignore level restrictions.

That, and they use the Dragon Head Glitch for other things than simply infinite souls (namely, machine gun firebombs).

Kweh

Hmm I ventured into Darkroot Basin(?) and noticed my Estus Flask count has dropped down from 10 to 5 now? How come?

frequency said:
About the archers, yeah. Once I looked it up I was able to deal with it easily. But I never had to look anything up in Demon's Souls. It was all fair in that game. I don't feel anything is impossible here, it's just cheap.

And about the Tomb. I need to go a reasonable distance in the dark to get that lantern. I couldn't get "Cast Light" because I don't have the INT to use it. Not to mention that the lady who teaches you that spell is hidden and not everyone would find her. And I have no idea what this light helmet you're talking about is. So it's my fault that the game locked the spell to me, put the lantern a fair distance in, and hasn't done anything to tell me about this light helmet I know nothing about? Or I guess I should have looked online to find this information... except that's cheap. I didn't have to look online for Demon's Souls or any game really.

When did Demon's Souls ever tell you exactly how to do something / where to find something?

And personally, I'm not above grinding out a few levels to be able to use an item to make the next area easier - int included so I could cast that spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom