• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
johntown said:
Holy crap! You can probably one shot most bosses at that level.

Not really soul breathed a guy to 427, didn't find the game much easier. Restarted at SL 90 now and back to were I was with my 427 lvl guy and its not any harder.

Wow, I must be incredibly slow. I'm over 100 hours played and I'm still on my first playthrough and only sl 55. I tend to put my souls into spells\equipment upgrades and put off levelling up unless I really feel I need to though. Also lost an obscene amount of souls through dying of course.

Guevara

So I should buy all the upgrades and merch from the Swamp Pyromancer in Firelink as soon as possible, right? I'm at +12 now from him and people have a bad habit of disappearing when I'm making progress in the game.

Speevy

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
Wow, I must be incredibly slow. I'm over 100 hours played and I'm still on my first playthrough and only sl 55. I tend to put my souls into spells\equipment upgrades and put off levelling up unless I really feel I need to though. Also lost an obscene amount of souls through dying of course.

You probably didn't farm the Darkroot Crest area like crazy.

kodt

Banned
Warnen said:
Not really soul breathed a guy to 427, didn't find the game much easier. Restarted at SL 90 now and back to were I was with my 427 lvl guy and its not any harder.

Yeah I have a guy at 450ish and most stats don't do much after you rank them up to 50 or 60. My endurance is at 99, but still my max equip is only 200, it stops going up after a bit. I thought it would get high enough to equip Havels set and still be under 25%... nope.

Resistance seems worthless after about 30
Attunement is worthless after a while.
Since stat scaling isn't working right 99 str and 99 dex doesn't help a ton. 50-60 would be just as good.
Humanity only helps up to 30 (so if you glitch to 99 it does nothing other than having a lot)

Beats

Been experimenting with DEX weapons, and there's something strange about the Silver Knight Straight Sword. It does the lightning shock when you hit enemies with it, but the lightning damage isn't shown on the stats. What's up with that?

Also the strong attack for Ricard's Rapier is pretty cool. It does a thrust then a "sword rain" sort of attack.

linko9

Guevara said:
So I should buy all the upgrades and merch from the Swamp Pyromancer in Firelink as soon as possible, right? I'm at +12 now from him and people have a bad habit of disappearing when I'm making progress in the game.

Yes, asap.
What triggers him leaving is if you get a high level pyro spell (doesn't even have to be from Quelana), and talk to him, he'll ask you where you got it. If you agree to tell him, he'll take off in search of Quelana. If you return to the blighttown swamp, he'll be hollow.

Even at SL 390+, the game isn't necessarily any easier. Regular enemies are a breeze, but most bosses can still pound me into the ground with relative ease. I've got a few stats that are maxed out (STR at 99, DEX at 99) and once you have those that high, the benefits are really negligible. And, weapon scaling is also negligible at that level. I use a Black Knight Halbred+5 and I can usually do around 500 damage on a regular enemy. Against bosses, it varies. I play a Thief so I get a bonus for critical hits, but there are very few large enemies, etc that I can one-shot, let along 3-4 shot.

Guevara

linko9 said:
Yes, asap.
What triggers him leaving is if you get a high level pyro spell (doesn't even have to be from Quelana), and talk to him, he'll ask you where you got it. If you agree to tell him, he'll take off in search of Quelana. If you return to the blighttown swamp, he'll be hollow.
Thanks that's very helpful. After maxing everything from him, should I buy everything from
Quelana?
After that who should I speak to?

x3r0123

Guevara said:
Thanks that's very helpful. After maxing everything from him, should I buy everything from
Quelana?

there are only 3 pyro in the entire game

Guevara said:
Quelana?

Hm, that's odd. I never had him ask me about having a high level Pyro, but he still took off and I eventually fought him when he went Hollow.

kodt

Banned
KoreanBarbecue said:
Even at SL 390+, the game isn't necessarily any easier. Regular enemies are a breeze, but most bosses can still pound me into the ground with relative ease. I've got a few stats that are maxed out (STR at 99, DEX at 99) and once you have those that high, the benefits are really negligible. And, weapon scaling is also negligible at that level. I use a Black Knight Halbred+5 and I can usually do around 500 damage on a regular enemy. Against bosses, it varies. I play a Thief so I get a bonus for critical hits, but there are very few large enemies, etc that I can one-shot, let along 3-4 shot.

Yeah, I have 99 vit, which is nice, but still it just means you can take 2-3 huge hits instead of just 1. You aren't invincible, even getting surrounded by Undead Burg enemies can take your health down if you aren't careful.

I primarily use a Claymore +15 or Gravelord Sword +4. Usually do around 500-600, then 700-750 on backstabs.

linko9

Guevara said:
Quelana?

As far as I know, she never goes away. The only other npcs that give you pyro spells are
the two involved with the chaos covenant (eignyi? and the daughter of chaos). and they never go away.

Speevy said:
You probably didn't farm the Darkroot Crest area like crazy.

You're right, I didn't. I did seem to build up a lot of sin from killing some enemies there though. To be honest it's mostly because I like to stay around the level where I think I'll be summoned/invaded the most. Unfortunately it means I can't use most of the uber weapons I've been eyeing up all game yet.

vilmer_

Air Zombie Meat said:

I'm the exact same level and around 90 hours played. Taking things slowly, as I don't want to rush the game and want to savour every minute of it. It'll be a long while before we see another Souls game so I'm soaking every last bit of it in!

scy

Almost all stats about cap out around the 40 mark (or, at very least, taper off there; INT and Faith keep Magic Adjust scaling beyond that, for instance, though I don't know where they stop) so going to the extremes on them all is pretty pointless. Off-hand, I actually want to say Weapon scaling stops at 45, though I'm not sure if I'm just going crazy and that number came from nowhere.

It's why the target SL goal, at least for JP players, was around the 100 SL mark. That's around the SL you'll be at for 40 End, 20+ Vit, 45-50 Scaling stat, and STR/DEX to requirements. Not sure what the target level is now, though I think it's about the same range.

kodt said:
Yeah, I have 99 vit, which is nice, but still it just means you can take 2-3 huge hits instead of just 1. You aren't invincible, even getting surrounded by Undead Burg enemies can take your health down if you aren't careful.

I primarily use a Claymore +15 or Gravelord Sword +4. Usually do around 500-600, then 700-750 on backstabs.

Yeah, once you start getting near maxed out levels for stats, the benefits really aren't entirely worth it. Vitality only goes up like 15 HP per level anyway, the same goes for everything else. Right now I could technically start trying to max out my resistance so I take less damage, but the end result would be a slight single digit(s) boost to my defense and that's about it. Kinda bummed I really can't turn myself into a walking beat down, but oh well, I can see why they kept it the way they did.

Kworn

Banned
Guys I saved 20,000 souls for the crest in the forest to do some epic farming.

I must be doing something wrong because I am getting OWNED by everything, I have not taken doen like one human, ghost or not.

Help me please

Is there somewhere I can read about the lore and background of the world, especially of the bosses/gods/demigods? The wiki is pretty much just game strategy.

kodt

Banned
Kworn said:

I must be doing something wrong because I am getting OWNED by everything, I have not taken doen like one human, ghost or not.

Help me please

The farming strategy involves getting them to suicide, not actually fighting them.

Run out into the forest and get 2-4 guys to start chasing you. Run back to the stairs near the bonfire and the crest door. Hide in the corner between the stairs and the cliff face. The enemies will run up the stairs then jump over you and off the cliff. Wait till they all die, then run to the bonfire and repeat. Occasionally one will land on the thin strip of land next to you, just put up your shield and they should hit you and fly off from the impact. You could also try kicking them off. If you are having trouble look for youtube vids

It is kind of cheap, but it works.

vilmer_

Kworn said:

Help me please

Stay to the left side when you enter and run up and aggro the four enemies. Then just dart back to the corner next to the stairs. These are the only enemies you will have to worry about ;)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kworn said:

Help me please

You're doing it wrong. You need to make them fall off the edge.

Nowadays I just kill all 4. Just easier and faster and more entertaining.

Ken

Thagomizer said:
Is there somewhere I can read about the lore and background of the world, especially of the bosses/gods/demigods? The wiki is pretty much just game strategy.

Doesn't seem like there's much aside from the game's intro, and what NPCs and item descriptions tell you.

kodt

Banned
Thagomizer said:

This is a good discussion about the story/lore. But I wouldn't read it until you have finished the game as it contains spoilers.

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/lc454/spoilers_welcome_who_or_what_is_the_furtive_pygmy/

This is the game intro lore:

In the Age of Ancients,
The world was unformed, shrouded by fog
A land of grey crags, archtrees, and everlasting dragons

But then there was Fire
And with Fire came Disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course... Light and Dark.

Then, from the Dark, They came
And found the Souls of Lords within the flame.

Nito, the first of the dead
The Witch of Izalith, and her daughters of chaos
Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights
And the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten

With the Strength of Lords, they challenged the dragons.

Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales
The witches weaved great firestorms
Nito unleashed a miasma of death and disease

And Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, and the dragons were no more
Thus began the Age of Fire

But soon, the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain

Even now, there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights
And amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed Darksign.

johntown

Banned
Kworn said:

Help me please
Or a slower way is to go down the stairs a little bit and shoot and arrow at the magic user and lure him out of the garden and fight him near the hidden bonfire. Only 2000 souls from him but by himself he is very easy to kill.

JVIDICAN

Thagomizer said:
item descriptions? :p
I'd like to think I know a good majority of the lore so you could ask me I guess, not sure if there's any story dedicated wiki's yet.

scy

Worth mentioning that there's three extra enemies when you first get there. Two Knights and Pharis the Archer. Of the three, only Pharis drops any loot (Hat, Bow, Twin Humanity); the others can be safely knocked over the edge. These three do not respawn, though.

As for fighting them, the Mage and Cleric leave themselves open easily for a backstab so they're pretty simple. The Pyromancer swings wide so you can block and then go around to backstab. The Thief/Assassin is good practice for parrying -> riposte.

Getting the Hornet's Ring (Sif's room; walk around the edge, not straight towards the gravesite) helps as it increases your backstab/riposte damage.

Edit: As for story, there's an ongoing topic at GameFAQs that is piecing it together from various sources in-game. Haven't read through it in awhile so I don't know it it's still going strong or not: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60612627

commish said:
You're doing it wrong. You need to make them fall off the edge.

Nowadays I just kill all 4. Just easier and faster and more entertaining.

Turning Anor Londo dark also opens up a fairly fast farming spot. Stock up on a few homeward bones - two enemies spawn near the bonfire that are 5k a pop, easy to kill. They don't seem to respawn unless you warp into/out of the area - homeward bone a) will make them respawn, b) cuts down on the time it takes to run back to the bonfire.

Although the Forest is more fun though once you actually are strong enough to beat the enemies fairly. Anor Londo feels more like straight up grinding when you do it, but it's sort of fun to muck about in the forest.

Noaloha

*jumping air-punch gesture* to all my fellow Souls crawlers.

I'm SL40, just fought the first mini-boss in Anor Londo, game-time shows up at just a smidge over 85 hours. :]

Having said that, around 10 hours of clocktime can be attributed to idling / taking a breather / raging silently at a wall.

MechaX

On one hand, I'm kinda glad that Pyromancy has no prerequisites because I didn't touch it at all in my first playthrough and it gives NG+ some kind of flavor since Miracles aren't my thing this time around.

On the other hand... This shit is absurdly destructive for it being available to any smuck that can wear a glove. How is pyromancy compared to the other magic types?

Booshka

I hate the PvP in this game, I either totally destroy someone because I am much higher level than they are, or I get griefed by glitchers, exploiters, and flat-out save altering cheaters. There is no satisfaction to be had, fucking blows. I just hit this guy like 10 times with my BK Great Axe and he took no damage, then he just slices me up with the Furysword, he didn't even block because he didn't need to with infinite health. Or maybe it was lag, who the fuck knows, the whole online component is a mess.

Dresden

MechaX said:
On one hand, I'm kinda glad that Pyromancy has no prerequisites because I didn't touch it at all in my first playthrough and it gives NG+ some kind of flavor since Miracles aren't my thing this time around.

On the other hand... This shit is absurdly destructive for it being available to any smuck that can wear a glove. How is pyromancy compared to the other magic types?
Short range, high damage. Sorcery is more powerful and safer imo but that requires actual stat investment.

scy

Toodles said:
Having said that, around 10 hours of clocktime can be attributed to idling / taking a breather / raging silently at a wall.

I'm pretty sure my first character has like twenty hours of /played time that was me angrily smoking in the corner.

Mechax said:

Sorcery is generally better than it, Miracles have their uses though the damage ones aren't so hot for PvP (well, Wrath is awesome). Pyromancy is nice in the middle for damage but, in all honesty, it's probably the worst of the three overall. It just can get made into a destructive force so easily throughout the game that it's usefulness is seen earlier.

Helps that there's a shattering amount of things in the first like half of the game that are weak to fire.

TylerD

Put me in the slow and steady camp too. Soul lvl 47 and 45 hrs played. I am scouring every nook and cranny for loot and not using any guides though.

johntown

Banned
electroshockwave said:
Has anyone successfully invaded someone with a Blue eye orb? Any recommendations for where a level 60 should use it?
I have tried mutliple times and everytime it says Invasion Failed......I think it is one of those things that need to be fixed.

JVIDICAN

electroshockwave said:
Has anyone successfully invaded someone with a Blue eye orb? Any recommendations for where a level 60 should use it?
I had absolutely no luck with the orb and almost no luck with the covenant ring. But best place for lvl 60 would probably be Anor Londo or one of the 4 areas after it. I'm using the reds soapstone now, which is nice since it actually works. :p

deim0s

Question about covenants in general.

Absolved my sins to that extortionist fool to the tune of 120000. Left Darkmoon covenant via the nitwit and joined the forest hunters so I can buy some katanas in blighttown. Will probably stay with the tree lovers for a bit for some PVP action.

Would leaving any covenant via the extortionist and joining another pretty much safe?

I dont want to leave the giant boobed diety alone. :p

JVIDICAN

deim0s said:
Question about covenants in general.

Absolved my sins to that extortionist fool to the tune of 120000. Left Darkmoon covenant via the nitwit and joined the forest hunters so I can buy some katanas in blighttown. Will probably stay with the tree lovers for a bit for some PVP action.

Would leaving any covenant via the extortionist and joining another pretty much safe?

I dont want to leave the giant boobed diety alone. :p
You can leave any covenant safely by just joining another one. There's no need to run up to the old guy unless you hit an important NPC or broke a covenant rule.

MechaX said:

I find that it rounds out a melee build nicely. Due to the short range on it - you still need to be able to stand toe-to-toe with enemies and be able to finish them off with a weapon when needed. The cast-time seems to be a bit long on most spells so once things get into melee range - their attacks can break most of your spells. But, great for burning down things that you can maintain a distance from / doing a big burst of damage before they reach you.

JVIDICAN said:
I had absolutely no luck with the orb and almost no luck with the covenant ring. But best place for lvl 60 would probably be Anor Londo or one of the 4 areas after it. I'm using the reds soapstone now, which is nice since it actually works. :p
I've been summoned a few times by the covenant ring but I don't think there's a level restriction for that. And a lot of the time it seems to be players who are waiting for someone to invade them so they've got a phantom with them, or they're using the fog ring or some kind of glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom