• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

rogerroger22 said:
When did Demon's Souls ever tell you exactly how to do something / where to find something?

And personally, I'm not above grinding out a few levels to be able to use an item to make the next area easier - int included so I could cast that spell.
It didn't ever tell me how to do or where to find something. And that's my point. It was fair and I was able to do it all with the little that I knew. This one is way cheaper in that way.

And it's not that it's more difficult overall or anything like that. I'm not just being sour.
I find this game to be significantly easier than Demon's Souls was. It's just that there are a few areas where they did really cheap things to artificially increase the difficulty.

Kyoufu

MechaX said:
Eh... High stats do a lot when considering that a fair amount of PvP Covenants (and the forest) seemingly ignore level restrictions.

That, and they use the Dragon Head Glitch for other things than simply infinite souls (namely, machine gun firebombs).

Are we playing the same game? High stats don't make a dramatic difference. Your item/weapon progression do. Someone at max level isn't going to dominate over someone at SL90 with endgame weapons/armor/spells.

In case you haven't noticed, the most notorious PVPer in the book of the guilty is only SL50. Why? Because of broken spells like Tranquil Walk of Peace, Fog Ring, and whichever weapons he/she has upgraded.

The game doesn't instantly get easier if you glitch your souls to a ridiculously high number, thanks to diminishing returns.

Insaniac

tokkun said:
Where should I drop my sign for co-op at SL60?

anor londo boss

also all this talk about the infinite soul glitch pisses me off. I worked my ass off / waited for hours to get souls / get summoned and earn my souls legit. I can't believe FROM didnt patch that bullshit immediately

So yeah I described a rare occurrence I had to my friends. So apparently folks if you invade or visit a world you can drop an item. The item over time can become a special monster/demon that can kill the player of that world.

Damn if this game doesn't go down in history.

tokkun

Insaniac said:
anor londo boss

also all this talk about the infinite soul glitch pisses me off. I worked my ass off / waited for hours to get souls / get summoned and earn my souls legit. I can't believe FROM didnt patch that bullshit immediately

I have been leaving it right in front of the fog door. Still takes like 20 minutes between pairings for ~3 minutes of boss fight (or less if the host eats it).

tokkun

Urban Scholar said:
So yeah I described a rare occurrence I had to my friends. So apparently folks if you invade or visit a world you can drop an item. The item over time can become a special monster/demon that can kill the player of that world.

Damn is this game doesn't go down in history.

I read about that in the guide but have never seen one myself.

knitoe said:
Those people probably all use the unlimited soul glitch. I farm the Darkroot like crazy and only am LS160.

"Probably"? :) I'm sure someone knows how many souls it takes, but it took more than a million to go from SL 63 to SL 170 and it's exponential from there; so anyone you see at SL 700 definitely glitched it ;)

MechaX

Kyoufu said:
Are we playing the same game? High stats don't make a dramatic difference. Your item/weapon progression do. Someone at max level isn't going to dominate over someone at SL90 with endgame weapons/armor/spells.

In case you haven't noticed, the most notorious PVPer in the book of the guilty is only SL50. Why? Because of broken spells like Tranquil Walk of Peace, Fog Ring, and whichever weapons he/she has upgraded.

The game doesn't instantly get easier if you glitch your souls to a ridiculously high number, thanks to diminishing returns.

Have you had the unfortunate luck of taking on someone at an insanely high soul level? Soul Level does make a difference, especially when considering that Scaling actually starts being worth a damn after the 50s. Moreover, the prospect of getting such stats within minutes is the biggest problem here. Take that into combination with how you can essentially steamroll through the game to get high end equipment.

The diminishing return effect is back, but I highly doubt From intended for multiple players to have 60+ in every stat in such record time, let alone being able to interact with lower leveled players (and even more alarmingly, getting into bands to jump certain PvP covenants). Broken tactics like Fog Ring and TWoP definitely push things over the edge in a significant way, but to say that the glitch has done nothing to multiplayer still isn't quite right (especially since From most likely did not intend for such high frequencies of high level players when creating the wider level gaps for Covenants).

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Question: I joined the Forest Covenant without realizing it would stop me from farming since those dudes wouldn't mindlessly attack/fall to their deaths anymore.

If I go see Oswald in the Belltower and break my covenant without penalty does that mean those NPC's will revert to their suicidal--and oh so helpful--ways??

bob_arctor said:
Question: I joined the Forest Covenant without realizing it would stop me from farming since those dudes wouldn't mindlessly attack/fall to their deaths anymore.

If I go see Oswald in the Belltower and break my covenant without penalty does that mean those NPC's will revert to their suicidal--and oh so helpful--ways??

Yes; I joined just so I didn't have to fight them every time Sif killed me, and left after and they are hostile once more.

cj_iwakura

Question regarding Solaire (endgame) :

As long as I complete the final event for him before reaching the end of Lost Izalith, can I still save him?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Oracle Dragon said:
Yes; I joined just so I didn't have to fight them every time Sif killed me, and left after and they are hostile once more.
Perfect! So I'll keep friendly for now and continue in Darkroot Garden then. Thx.

MechaX

The Forest Covenant is kind of bugged. If someone slips off a cliff somewhere, the game will register it as you betraying the covenant. Sometimes they will also aggro you for no reason.

Wallachia

Urban Scholar said:

Huh?!? Please explain more..

Wallachia

Insaniac said:
anor londo boss

I hear from sources that a patch could come next week, if we are lucky.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
frequency said:
It didn't ever tell me how to do or where to find something. And that's my point. It was fair and I was able to do it all with the little that I knew. This one is way cheaper in that way.

And it's not that it's more difficult overall or anything like that. I'm not just being sour.
I find this game to be significantly easier than Demon's Souls was. It's just that there are a few areas where they did really cheap things to artificially increase the difficulty.
That's so true, especially the first few levels are quite easy if you are patient enough. Especially with the new climb up then do a jump attack (which does a great deal of damage) thing, the Ice Cave is when it starts getting kinda hard, but that's mostly because of the invisible ground.

Grinchy

Banned
Oracle Dragon said:
I'm pretty clueless about the covenants (basically been avoiding them). When you did this, did you owe tons of souls for the absolution or can that covenant be broken for free?

This sounds like a good plan for fighting sif.

Kyoufu

MechaX said:
Have you had the unfortunate luck of taking on someone at an insanely high soul level? Soul Level does make a difference, especially when considering that Scaling actually starts being worth a damn after the 50s. Moreover, the prospect of getting such stats within minutes is the biggest problem here. Take that into combination with how you can essentially steamroll through the game to get high end equipment.

The diminishing return effect is back, but I highly doubt From intended for multiple players to have 60+ in every stat in such record time, let alone being able to interact with lower leveled players (and even more alarmingly, getting into bands to jump certain PvP covenants). Broken tactics like Fog Ring and TWoP definitely push things over the edge in a significant way, but to say that the glitch has done nothing to multiplayer still isn't quite right (especially since From most likely did not intend for such high frequencies of high level players when creating the wider level gaps for Covenants).

I don't think you understand the effects of diminishing returns, or the fact that a player with maximum stats doesn't have the health pool to survive more than 2 backstabs/ripostes from any player with a good weapon.

Of course, if your items are terrible then you'd do poor damage to any player, not just those higher than you.

So basically, improve your items/strategy and you can take down any player that doesn't abuse Ring of Fog/Tranquil Walk of Peace.

Aeana

Opened the watchtower door with the watchtower key... suddenly I'm back at the bonfire.
That was so hilarious, I can't stop laughing.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
tokkun said:
I have been leaving it right in front of the fog door. Still takes like 20 minutes between pairings for ~3 minutes of boss fight (or less if the host eats it).
Leave it after the second spinning tower instead, where the bridge connects, before the stair case with the two bronze giant knights. You'll get summoned faster (like 10 minutes instead of 20 lol).

Speaking of the Anor Londo boss fight, god damn. God damn. That boss fight is this game's version of Alma from Ninja Gaiden. I felt like such a badass after defeating the Anor Londo boss fight since I did it by myself, no phantoms, no cheesy spells. Straight fucking melee.

frequency said:
It's just that there are a few areas where they did really cheap things to artificially increase the difficulty.
Agree 100% there were hardly any instances in demons souls that would instantly kill you if you were being cautious. Dark Souls there are many instances on instant death and even if you know what gonna happen(looks at Bed of Chaos)

Dreaver

So I am almost at the point of battling the final boss. Right now I've still quite some souls and around 12 humanity left.

So, what carries exactly over to NG+ and what are some useful tips (do you keep the Rite of Kindling?)
Do all your items and stats carry over (including upgraded, just like my Pyro Glove which I got to +15 and then upgraded and got it to +2 again)? I'm about SL65 now.
Also, I've heard about killing all the Fire Keepers for their souls, is this an good idea?
I also still have all the boss souls, should I use them?

Urban Scholar said:

Do these look like crab metroids? I was attacked by one of those in the undead parish once.

Aeana said:
Opened the watchtower door with the watchtower key... suddenly I'm back at the bonfire.
That was so hilarious, I can't stop laughing.

Ummm, wat?

UrbanRats said:
The Boar in Undead Parish was also super easy, if you stayed on the stairs and backstabbed him.

I didn't even attack him, I just lured him to the fire and let himself burn his ass.

Ill Saint said:
An immense, incredibly rewarding, deep, ambitious and sophisticated game. Maybe a bit too ambitious at times, which clearly has left some people disappointed. But this is the kind ambition the industry needs. From really tried to innovate, particularly with online play, and I give them huge props for their effort, flawed as it might be.

Even though I still haven't finished the game myself, I'm almost 60 hours in (the same time I spent with Demon's Souls) and I have to agree word by word. One of the best games in the genre, no doubt.

MechaX

Kyoufu said:
I don't think you understand the effects of diminishing returns, or the fact that a player with maximum stats doesn't have the health pool to survive more than 2 backstabs/ripostes from any player with a good weapon.

Of course, if your items are terrible then you'd do poor damage to any player, not just those higher than you.

So basically, improve your items/strategy and you can take down any player that doesn't abuse Ring of Fog/Tranquil Walk of Peace.

Instead of sitting on your pedestal, at least take a second to even consider what you're actually suggesting. Given how powerful backstabs and ripostes are, that would be a given at any level. But at this point, what player who frequently participates in PvP is even going to fall for such rudimentary tactics?

You are still absolutely silent on the things that high stats in all areas would effective (ie, the fact that scaling does outrank elemental weapons only at absurdly high stats, which is a big source of the complaints on elemental weapons to begin with, and there are weapons like the True Greatsword that have decent scaling on all four of the damage dealing stats, which a lot of glitchers like to use) and silent on the things that have been happening frequently in multiplayer (SL700 people clearly having the edge in stats from an objective standpoint and being in an easy position to get good equipment ganging up on SL50 people in the forest or in other covenants, in which stats would form a source of an edge over the player unless the player had maxed lightning equipment).

What are you going to tell those players? Use the broken equipment to at least start putting yourself on equal footing? That's one possibility, but no one is disputing that there are multiple problems with the PvP scene right now. My problem is that you are handwaving one of the big (not quite the biggest compared to TWoP + Fog Ring) problems with the PvP scene right now; it serves as an easy opportunity to get an edge over a multitude of (newer) players without much effort, and it actually does have an effect.

Noaloha

The first time Havel waved hello at me was indeed pretty funny.

The most entertaining thing so far in game was the NPC in Sen's Fortress who drops a rapier (Ricard?). I'll occasionally bump my equip load up over 50% just to watch the 'is-it-a-roll-is-it-a-fall?' animation when you evade because it amuses me so much. To see an actual NPC try to avoid your attacks by jumping arse over tit was too much though. He was adorable.

bathala

Banned
already beaten Ornstein and Smough. Got the latter's armor, but that thing is ugly

replaying my older save game to get Ornstein.

Kyoufu

Aeana said:
Yep. I went back and killed him though. Love his ring! Now I can roll like a pro.

Screw rolls, you know you want some ninja backflips and cartwheels! (Join the forest covenant then go to Blighttown for some delicious loot).

burgerdog said:
Are you supposed to die on your first encounter versus seath?

Yup.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
burgerdog said:
Are you supposed to die on your first encounter versus seath?
Yes sir.

Holy shit.

Since I had 30 humanity, I reverted to human and went around kindling fires to +4 before NG+.
When I entered the Kiln, I saw two summon signs and said "whynot?".

They came and looked powerful.
Then a spirit of vengence came. Between the two of them, they murdered the spirit.
We cleaned house with everything else and now I'm on NG+.
109 hours. :lol

scy

Trent Strong said:
Late to the party. Just want to know if pyromancer is considered the easiest starting class?

Pyromancer is probably the best starting point class due to them being the best blank slate (Sl1, 84 Stats). Plus, you start with Fireball and damned if that doesn't simplify things for quite some time.

Unless there's some starting class with points allocated exactly how you want it (i.e., Warrior's lower INT/Attunement for better starting STR/DEX), Pyro typically just works out for the best. The exception being Faith probably but, meh, I still started as a Pyro.

Question about painting
world.

Okay so I killed the zombie dragon upstairs and opened the gate downstairs. What happens on each path?

Second, is there anything special in the small catacomb maze underneath? Outside of the big room with the wheel to turn the statue?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
robotzombie said:
Question about painting
world.

Okay so I killed the zombie dragon upstairs and opened the gate downstairs. What happens on each path?

Second, is there anything special in the small catacomb maze underneath? Outside of the big room with the wheel to turn the statue?
Question 1: they both take you to the same place, the boss.

Question 2: I forgot lol but it's worth doing. That entire stage is worth exploring every nook and cranny since there's some good stuff to be found.

scy

robotzombie said:
Question about painting
world.

Each path?
Behind the dragon's glitched lower half should be the same place the gate leads you to.

There's the Annex Key down there that leads to some loot (Dark Ember, Velka's Rapier, Vow of Silence Miracle) and tucked away down there is a ladder that leads to the Fire Surge Spell.

Besides that, there's an NPC Black Phantom
in the graveyard to the right of the courtyard; he takes awhile to appear though. Bring Fire resistance for him.
If you want to do it, you have to before you kill the boss of the place. Well,
if you kill the boss of the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom