• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does Demon's Souls have any area as shitty as Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith?

anddo0

RyanDG said:
Sins don't carry over. But you can be absolved at any time even without sins.

I just started a NG+ and Oswald says i owe. I wonder if it's because I killed
Knight Laurtrec of Carim
right off the bat.

Rez said:

Since demon's ruins and lost izalith aren't really bad, I'll go ahead and say yes. The whole valley of defilement is like a cracked out blighttown from hell.

RyanDG

Rez said:

World 5-2 is the closest to it... Especially once you start facing the giants in the marsh. But it's nowhere near as bad IMO. The Demon's Ruins is such a wasted opportunity compared to what it could've been...

Cant believe I just purchased this, I promised I wouldn't after finishing demon souls, loved and hated it, just wanted that experience once, oh boy.

Kyoufu

dreamer3kx said:
Cant believe I just purchased this, I promised I wouldn't after finishing demon souls, loved and hated it, just wanted that experience one, oh boy.

I loved/hated Demon's Souls, but I absolutely love this game. The open world, the gameplay mechanics... I can't go back to Demon's.

anddo0 said:
I just started a NG+ and Oswald says i owe. I wonder if it's because I killed
Knight Laurtrec of Carim
right off the bat.

Yeah, probably. If I still had my game up, I'd check the log book of sins to see if I was clear or not, since I've only made it to Lordran and picked up the treasure in firelink and took a quick trip down to Rickert.

Aeana

Kyoufu said:
I loved/hated Demon's Souls, but I absolutely love this game. The open world, the gameplay mechanics... I can't go back to Demon's.
What I find most interesting is that the things I thought would make me like this game less than Demon's Souls (magic charge system, open worldiness) actually make me like it a lot more. The way these things work in conjunction with the bonfires and shortcuts make it a lot more interesting and fun for me.

RyanDG said:
Could you be seeing the prism stones maybe?

I don't think so, I haven't used any myself so I don't know why they would be there. It just looks like a glowing ring standing upright on the ground, I can't interact with it at all. I'll try and take a pic next time, it's quite common.

MechaX

Man, Fog Ring users were out in full force this evening. Even more than usual. 150k worth of souls, usually 2 v 1, and about 12 matches and I swear 80% of them were ring users.

JVIDICAN

I started a new game+ and made it to Anor Londo within an hour. lol.
Did anyone realize that Capra, the depths, and upper blight town are completely optional?
Just need the master key. :p

Ken

PumpkinPie said:
I don't think so, I haven't used any myself so I don't know why they would be there. It just looks like a glowing ring standing upright on the ground, I can't interact with it at all. I'll try and take a pic next time, it's quite common.
I think the wiki says they appear when another player uses miracles at that spot, and using your own miracles around it will give them increased power. Miracle resonance or something.

Woorloog

Banned
OT3 already? I wonder how many OTs there will be before get this game (this year is full: Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Halo CEA, SWTOR, next year has Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 expansion and probably others)...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
JVIDICAN said:
Did anyone realize that Capra, the depths, and upper blight town are completely optional?
You don't even need the master key to skip them.

JVIDICAN said:

QisTopTier said:
You don't even need the master key to skip them.

How do you skip blight town without the master key?

Anilusion

Fuck curses...

I'm at the hole below past blighttown climbing down tree branches, and I got cursed by the fucking frog thingys. Is there an easy way to deal with it down here? I don't have any cure items left, and the mushroom dudes are almost one-hitting me even without being cursed.

Defuser said:
Is the sunlight maggot that difficult to get,I got it on my first try but i heard its rare or something.

Where do you get it? I have no Chaos covenant rank by the way, so I can't use the shortcut. I went to Demons Ruins just for that helm, but I got sidetracked and killed all those giant demons in the lava.

sixghost

No one responded to me a few pages back so I'll repost.

Has anyone ever seen this:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/symbol-of-avarice
It's a Head armor piece that turns your head into a Mimic. You can only get it from an S-rank drop(the rarest) from a Mimic not in Anor Londo or Duke's. Which probably only gives you 1 or 2 chances I believe?

It greatly reduces stamina recovery, boosts item find +200, and gives you -5hp/sec

What a weird fucking thing

Anilusion said:
Fuck curses...

I'm at the hole below past blighttown climbing down tree branches, and I got cursed by the fucking frog thingys. Is there an easy way to deal with it down here? I don't have any cure items left, and the mushroom dudes are almost one-hitting me even without being cursed.

The only "easy" way to deal with curses is simply not to get cursed. If you have the gear from the Firekeeper at Firelink it has good curse resist and can help. Two things that made it easier when I did it:

1) Slumbering Dragons ring and move SLOWLY, pull them one by one with a bow and fight them one at a time. Still have to be careful not to get cursed though.

2) Just run like hell; you actually only have to do the one room with 3 basilisks in it to keep going down. The other levels all have ladders leading down, run to the ladder, slide down, keep running. Of course that's a real bitch if you don't know where to go. I only could do that on my second game, my first game I chose option #1.

And those giant mushroom guys are bullshit! I went in with some of the heaviest armor in the game and 40 endurance, one hit on my great shield takes me down to 20% stam, and 2 breaks through. SIF doesn't break through! I killed a couple of the big guys, but mostly just avoided them since they are slow.

sixghost

Seraphis Cain said:
So
Priscilla
is the biggest joke of a boss in the entire game.
I think the 'good' choice is to not fight her at all. She makes it clear she just wants you to leave.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oracle Dragon said:
How do you skip blight town without the master key?
From the forest, you take the elevator down into valley of drakes, then head into the cave that leads to blight, after a short bit you find the key and you can backtrack and open up the shortcut.
Seraphis Cain said:
So
Priscilla
is the biggest joke of a boss in the entire game.
Nope.

MechaX

sixghost said:
I think the 'good' choice is to not fight her at all. She makes it clear she just wants you to leave.

That and the rewards you get from her are... suspect. One is a Knife that still does crap damage and the other is a scythe that will damn well kill you with bleed damage if it doesn't kill your enemy first.

Kyoufu

Anilusion said:
Fuck curses...

Roll out of the gas spray. It's the first thing a frog does.

Here is a tip though, you don't actually have to fight anything in that area. Just run. ESPECIALLY from the mushrooms because there are a million of them and they hurt a lot.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
dreamer3kx said:
Cant believe I just purchased this, I promised I wouldn't after finishing demon souls, loved and hated it, just wanted that experience once, oh boy.

I had no interest in Demons' Souls and initially no interest in this game but the overwhelming love for it got to me and I bought it and so far I have no regrets at all.

This game is the 3D Castlevania (+100 difficulty) that we never got. It's honestly reminding me of Symphony of the Night more than any other game I've played. If the bonfires were just ordinary checkpoints/save points and you didn't lose your souls when you died, and maybe the enemies were more numerous and a bit weaker, it would be my dream Castlevania.

Has anyone else made this comparison? I haven't heard anyone say anything like it despite the volume of discussion about the game.

Kyoufu

Oracle Dragon said:
Ah see now as someone who didn't have any fire spells at all (Warrior with enough sorcery for magic weapon) she was a LOT harder ;)

I just used Quelaag's Furysword. A 3 hit combo will stagger her and reveal her until dead.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I had no interest in Demons' Souls and initially no interest in this game but the overwhelming love for it got to me and I bought it and so far I have no regrets at all.

This game is the 3D Castlevania (+100 difficulty) that we never got. It's honestly reminding me of Symphony of the Night more than any other game I've played. If the bonfires were just ordinary checkpoints/save points and you didn't lose your souls when you died, and maybe the enemies were more numerous and a bit weaker, it would be my dream Castlevania.

Has anyone else made this comparison? I haven't heard anyone say anything like it despite the volume of discussion about the game.
I said that like a day after the game came out.

Insaniac

Grisby said:
If you can survive the first few seconds dude make your way toward the stairs. Take out the dogs and he becomes a lot, lot, easier.

ugh all these noobs summoning me and then dying 2 minutes into it at the anor londo archers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom