• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anilusion

Problem is I am already cursed. Is there any way to cure it down here, or do I really have to fight my way through blighttown and back again?

Anilusion said:
Problem is I am already cursed. Is there any way to cure it down here, or do I really have to fight my way through blighttown and back again?

Nothing to do but go back to church. (Yes, the sewer vendor sells them as well, for twice the price... besides if you have the Firelink --> Parish shortcut open, it's probably faster as well as cheaper).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I finally got to this and started a game. I just wanted to say:

This is, truly, the 3D Castlevania game we deserve. I mean it.

It is literally the dense map of SotN, with the knuckle biting enemy placement of the classic level based games. Hell, the bonfire system even seems like the save points in SotN - you get to a safe spot, save, and venture out to map territory and figure out how to fight the new, unique enemies in the area.

And it's as dark and gothic as anything could conceivably be.

Kyoufu

Anilusion said:

You can get through Great Hollow/Ash Lake while cursed. Just avoid fighting if you think you'll have trouble.

Izuna

Banned
Okay, haha. Made it out of Blighttown, fun place, reminds me of World 5. Took me an hour so I'm 6 Hours in. No deaths. However I'm worried because the
Firekeeper is gone

Those enemies with the Large Clubs
were surprising easy to fight by the end. I went in with 8 Vitality but because they did so much damage, I raised my Vitality so my HP became 1001. All I would do is run around them and stab their back.

I saw a fire-dog walking on the spinning contraption. I'm guessing you can stop it by attacking it, but I don't have anymore arrows, and you can't aim with the crossbow. =(

The frame-rate wasn't too bad really. It's not as good as the majority of the areas from Demon's Souls, but World 5 and Blighttown are the same I think.

Holding onto 18 Humanity now, which is probably why I got so many anti-Posion items. Sorcery has limited uses? I suppose Miracles do as well, so healing might not be as easy as I thought it would be.

--

But yeah, I'm more and more impressed now. I'm no longer complaining, although I wish I was better at finding merchants. I especially like that summoning is built into the Offline Mode, that's a good idea.

I think my Drake Sword is either becoming obsolete, or I need to repair it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Kaijima said:

It is literally the dense map of SotN, with the knuckle biting enemy placement of the classic level based games. Hell, the bonfire system even seems like the save points in SotN - you get to a safe spot, save, and venture out to map territory and figure out how to fight the new, unique enemies in the area.

Are you making fun of me? /paranoid

I just posted this on the previous page!

Okay, what is the advantage of being a thief? I'm pretty far into the game but I feel I'm just being held back because all I really do is hack and slash enemies. I would have been better off being a warrior I'm thinking. Right now I'm using a Battle Axe +5 and Knight Shield +3. At what point do I do "thievery" things?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
evilromero said:
Okay, what is the advantage of being a thief? I'm pretty far into the game but I feel I'm just being held back because all I really do is hack and slash enemies. I would have been better off being a warrior I'm thinking. Right now I'm using a Battle Axe +5 and Knight Shield +3. At what point do I do "thievery" things?

Never. Your class is just a label for your starting stats.

Izuna

Banned
evilromero said:

If it's anything like Demon's Souls, by about SL15 it doesn't matter who you started out with. Well, there may be a stat you never want to raise, but it only affects your starting equipment.

sazabirules said:
Never. Your class is just a label for your starting stats.
lol. That's hilarious. So what does the thief start with that's advantageous? I would have thought he could at least pick some locks.

I thought the ring of sacrifice that the sewer vendor sold was an infinite item and that you could just keep buying them. I stupidly wasted them and now the vendor has none left :(

K' Dash

I'm with the forest covenant right now, if I join another covenant will the NPC's at the Darkroot Garden attack me?

More importantly, will I be able to buy from Shiva?

Kyoufu

PumpkinPie said:
I thought the ring of sacrifice that the sewer vendor sold was an infinite item and that you could just keep buying them. I stupidly wasted them and now the vendor has none left :(

Can't you buy them from the absolution vendor at belltower an infinite number of times?

Varna

evilromero said:
lol. That's hilarious. So what does the thief start with that's advantageous? I would have thought he could at least pick some locks.

It's mainly a role-playing choice... They do start with the master key which is can be helpful (or just fuck you over if you don't understand the concept of not suppose to be here yet.).

The most important thing when picking a class is looking at the stats and seeing if they match with what you want to do. Eventually you will collect all the started weapons and armor anyways.

MechaX

Whoa. Swap Casting with the Stone Greatsword is simply one of the worst things you can do in multiplayer. There is literally no hope of countering it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm not using any guides or wiki or anything... but I do have one question if someone doesn't mind helping me out. Where can I find the earliest faith-based weapon that isn't
that sword found next to the faking drake

Grinchy

Banned
evilromero said:
No offense, but IMO playing thief is not the class to bump up strength and use axes. If you wanted to play a "thievery" character you should have just bumped up your DEX and used daggers.

Evolved1 said:
I'm not using any guides or wiki or anything... but I don have one question if someone doesn't mind helping me out. Where can I find the earliest faith-based weapon that isn't
Astoras straight sword can be gotten pretty early in valley of the drakes, but youre going to have to run like hell.

Edit: sorry, thought you meant the drake sword. Yep, you gotta make one

vilmer_

Whewwww found the skull lantern and bonfire in Tomb of the Giants finally!! And to that asshole who shoved me off the cliff, thanks! I'm not really a cleric anyways.

Evolved1 said:
I'm not using any guides or wiki or anything... but I do have one question if someone doesn't mind helping me out. Where can I find the earliest faith-based weapon that isn't

I've never found one other than the one you mention. You have to make your own.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Manmademan said:
Astoras straight sword can be gotten pretty early in valley of the drakes, but youre going to have to run like hell

I have it... it's ok right now, but it seems like it will be kind of shitty for later in the game. And it's difficult to upgrade.

I think it's a cool weapon, and I like using it... but I don't think it'll last.

Kyoufu

evilromero said:

You do thievery things when you, you know, play like one.

You can't really say "lol" at not being a thief when you're using warrior weapons!

There are armour/weapons/spells scattered throughout the game that can turn you into a cookie cutter thief, if you so wish.

K' Dash said:

Pretty sure he won't sell you anything/won't be at Blighttown if you aren't part of the covenant.

Wallachia

Kaijima said:

Nailed it my friend..

vilmer_ said:
Whewwww found the skull lantern and bonfire in Tomb of the Giants finally!! And to that asshole who shoved me off the cliff, thanks! I'm not really a cleric anyways.

I felt kind of a warm feeling towards him even though he's such a prick. Is he
the only returning Demon's Souls character?

QisTopTier said:
From the forest, you take the elevator down into valley of drakes, then head into the cave that leads to blight, after a short bit you find the key and you can backtrack and open up the shortcut.

Nope.

Heh, interesting. But why skip them unless you're doing a speed run? And even then, whynot take the master key so you can skip the forest to valley of drakes method?

izunadono said:
AH! Covenants ARE the replacement for World Tendency.

Not really. I can kind of see it, but again -- not really.

Moaradin

I just started this game now. I have no experience with Demon Souls or Dark Souls. I don't know anything about it other than it being hard.

2 minutes in, I get destroyed by a big boss that came out of nowhere. I can tell this is going to be fun. Finally a game that requires thinking.

Now that I know what I'm doing, game just got a lot more fun.

...well, up until the point where I fell for a schmuck bait lootable body in the 'Burg, and ran smack into a Black Knight.

...at level 5.

...ow.

scy

Evolved1 said:

That's about it, really, for Uniques early on. You're best served to make it to
Darkroot Garden and kill the Moonlight Butterfly; after it will be the Divine Ember you can bring to the Blacksmith back at the Parish near the Garden entrance. This will allow you to use Green Titanite Shards to make a Divine Weapon out of +5 Weapon.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I had no interest in Demons' Souls and initially no interest in this game but the overwhelming love for it got to me and I bought it and so far I have no regrets at all.

This game is the 3D Castlevania (+100 difficulty) that we never got. It's honestly reminding me of Symphony of the Night more than any other game I've played. If the bonfires were just ordinary checkpoints/save points and you didn't lose your souls when you died, and maybe the enemies were more numerous and a bit weaker, it would be my dream Castlevania.

Has anyone else made this comparison? I haven't heard anyone say anything like it despite the volume of discussion about the game.
I thought the same today...It's too obvious to be such a rare opinion!

jut chilling in Blighttown, waiting to sunbro it up and help some people beat Quelaag. Sweet jesus summoning tonight has taken ages. I really need to get my faith high enough to use Lightning Spear.

Went all the way through the
tomb of giants and get to a yellow light... Now I have to go all the way back now that I've given the lord vessel to Frampt. I don't see why the couldn't just let me warp there.... Sheesh!

Finally got summoned today, and I helped owned the dynamic duo. Too bad I want to help more people but time to traverse through the dark again.

sleepykyo

izunadono said:
AH! Covenants ARE the replacement for World Tendency.

Wouldn't that be Humanity? Come to think of it Humanity is also the replacement for luck (better drops and some weapons scale based with it).

The Covenants seem more like a novel way to get a clan system going or tie together the mythology and mp.

branny

Rez said:
Does Demon's Souls have any area as shitty as Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith?
I don't think so because not once in Demon's Souls do I remember finding myself saying "this is tedious." Thankfully, that only happens the first time you're exploring without using a guide. After that, it's much easier to know what's in those problem areas so you don't waste your time trying to find stuff that doesn't exist.

Kyoufu said:
I loved/hated Demon's Souls, but I absolutely love this game. The open world, the gameplay mechanics... I can't go back to Demon's.
Yeah, both games have their strengths and weaknesses. Some people are bound to prefer dealing the flaws in one game over the flaws in the other. Thinking about it, Dark Souls is probably way less of a hassle to play than Demon's Souls. The covenant system and, hopefully, the future patch(es) will give major legs to the PvP in this game over Demon's Souls, as well.

Clear said:
PS. I don't get why people are so intent on comparing zones on an equal footing. Some are clearly designed to be explored while others are connective areas typically with a gauntlet of foes or a gimmick to be overcome in order to get to the next proper area.
Ill Saint said:
Seems like some people got a bit spoiled by the scope of some of the early areas and expect all of them to be equally as large and involved. The way I see it, Tomb of Giants is an extension of Catacombs, as is Lost Izalith to Demon Ruins, and Crystal Cave to Duke's Archives. In this regard there is plenty of content and exploration here to rival Undead Burg, Darkroot and so on.

Valley of Drakes is clearly an intermediary area, this is not inherently negative.

The level of care and quality took a dip in Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, yes, but I think the total negativity towards the end-game areas is kinda overstated.
I think the mentality for approaching each game's locales differs drastically, i.e. Dark Souls with world design and Demon's Souls with level design. Depending on your point of view, one of those philosophies ended up giving us a lot more filler than the other (even though it's apparent from the earlier portions of Dark Souls that tight, interwoven design needn't be sacrificed when creating an open world). I can see this not bothering some players (like how the framerate problems don't really bother me), but still. :(

I'm acutely aware that I'm partial to incredibly dense, multifaceted, intricately-designed areas with exquisite enemy placement. I'd much rather play in those than underdeveloped, "intermediary" areas you're meant to simply pass through rather than spend time savoring. The reason I'm bummed is because Demon's Souls has none of this. And if it does, I don't remember any of it because it's nowhere near as offensive or common as it is in the latter half of Dark Souls. It's also a bit risky to haphazardly design entire areas, as small as they may be, around hit-or-miss gimmicks that may rub people the wrong way.

And before anyone says anything: no, I don't think Demon's Souls is flawless. Some things like world tendency and game-cheesing exploits are incredibly annoying to deal with, and the way magic and healing items are handled is rather archaic compared to Dark Souls. They're completely different games, though. Those mechanics are more apples and oranges than anything else. It is not, however, being a "drama queen" to point out perceived shortcomings. Honestly, if I weren't looking forward to this game as much as I was, I wouldn't even bother with this nitpick. It doesn't really matter, anyway. Dark Souls is already in a completely different league than many other games. And many aspects of it make it preferable to Demon's Souls, IMO.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
And did people agree with you?
DieNgamers said:
I thought the same today...It's too obvious to be such a rare opinion!
Yeah, a lot of people think that already. :p

Evolved1 said:
I have it... it's ok right now, but it seems like it will be kind of shitty for later in the game. And it's difficult to upgrade.

I think it's a cool weapon, and I like using it... but I don't think it'll last.

It doesn't really.. I even upped it to +4 just to see how it would do and it starts losing it's luster around Sens. If you have a faith character though, it dominates in early game and I find it more useful than the Drake sword since it can thrust as well. It easily 1-2 hits enemies and it made short work of the Taurus demon, and it served me well in the Depths. Look to ditch it for a divine weapon of your own making close to mid game though.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Wow, I must be incredibly slow. I'm over 100 hours played and I'm still on my first playthrough and only sl 55. I tend to put my souls into spells\equipment upgrades and put off levelling up unless I really feel I need to though. Also lost an obscene amount of souls through dying of course.

Sounds exactly like me. Some of the best hours I've spent gaming.

electroshockwave said:
Is the hat that you use to light up the Tomb of Giants far into Lost Isalith?

You have to farm it.

You can enter from just before the door to Demon Firesage (as if you were taking the shortcut) or you can enter from Lost Izalith side (far into it, after you climb out of the lava lake, just before the boss (down the root instead of up the stairs, bear right, take out the prowling demon).

Either way, chaos bugs drop sunlight maggots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom