• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
sleepykyo said:
Wouldn't that be Humanity? Come to think of it Humanity is also the replacement for luck (better drops and some weapons scale based with it).

The Covenants seem more like a novel way to get a clan system going or tie together the mythology and mp.

Well, World Tendency determined which Phantoms you fought, or which side-quests you could do. People would appear depending on it. I don't really know 'cause I'm 6 hours in, but I think Covenants do this.

Character Tendency is what affected some of the weapons, but I can't compare anything to Humanity really. Humanity is a very good cure in my opinion haha, so maybe it's the new Dark Moon Grass.

sleepykyo

izunadono said:
Well, World Tendency determined which Phantoms you fought, or which side-quests you could do. People would appear depending on it. I don't really know 'cause I'm 6 hours in, but I think Covenants do this.

Character Tendency is what affected some of the weapons, but I can't compare anything to Humanity really. Humanity is a very good cure in my opinion haha, so maybe it's the new Dark Moon Grass.

Good point, I forgot about that.

Started NG+ today, and just beat Anor Londo plus some optional bosses. Because I did
Ornstein
last in NG, I decided to do the opposite this time and, well, in NG+ the "easy" way wasn't that easy and it took 5 tries.

Got a question for anyone who's willing to help me :
I'm S.Level 124 now and it's been 2 runs in the depths so far and the butchers didn't drop their Sack (headgear), even with 410 Item Searching.
Anyone in my level range and who maybe has 2 of them and would be willing to give one to me? I could get you one Leo Ring in return for example.
I'm trying to get every object at least once and that Sack + the Symbol of the Covetous (from
Mimics
) are the only 2 "very limited availability" headgears I'm missing.

FatCat

I'm looking into getting into the series but don't have enough time to play both Demon and Dark souls. Which game would be better to play? Which is (slightly) easier?

K' Dash

So guys, after I killed smough and ornstein I went to sell some stuff to frampt and now he's telling me to put the lordvessel in the altar, will this cause a point of no return?

JVIDICAN

InternHertz said:
Started NG+ today, and just beat Anor Londo plus some optional bosses. Because I did
Ornstein
last in NG, I decided to do the opposite this time and, well, in NG+ the "easy" way wasn't that easy and it took 5 tries.

I'm S.Level 124 now and it's been 2 runs in the depths so far and the butchers didn't drop their Sack (headgear), even with 410 Item Searching.
Anyone in my level range and who maybe has 2 of them and would be willing to give one to me? I could get you one Leo Ring in return for example.
I'm trying to get every object at least once and that Sack + the Symbol of the Covetous (from
Mimics
Isn't the sack in a chest behind the first butcher?

K' Dash said:
So guys, after I killed smough and ornstein I went to sell some stuff to frampt and now he's telling me to put the lordvessel in the altar, will this cause a point of no return?
No, but it will lock out the Dark wraith covenant.

x3r0123

InternHertz said:
Ornstein

Mimics

i found one and i had 210 IS

JVIDICAN said:
Isn't the sack in a chest behind the first butcher?

iirc, thats an ember

Izuna

Banned
FatCat said:
I'm looking into getting into the series but don't have enough time to play both Demon and Dark souls. Which game would be better to play? Which is (slightly) easier?

... I know nearly everything about Demon's Souls but hardly anything about Dark Souls, but I will say that Demon's Souls DEFINITELY starts easier.

Dark Souls has a lot of "wrong directions" which are like, massive shortcuts, but near impossible to pass if you're new to the series. My friends have been telling me that they take 60-100 hours to complete Dark Souls, and Demon's Souls took me 20 on my first play-through.

However, Demon's Souls runs on a server which will be closed down next March, so in case you love the series and want more of it, start with Demon's Souls first.

george_us

Zeliard said:
Valley of Defilement is awesome. Loved that world.
Fucking hated that area. At first I though Blighttown was worse but the layout is easy to remember once you figure out you need to look for the torches on the ladders. Valley of Defilement was one long tube of liquefied ass.

vermadas

Well, I wanted to kill Smaugh first. But after several attempts I gave up on beating the two bosses solo and summoned in phantom help. They immediately went after Ornstein and killed him first instead. D'oh.

george_us

Kaijima said:
I finally got to this and started a game. I just wanted to say:

This is, truly, the 3D Castlevania game we deserve. I mean it.

It is literally the dense map of SotN, with the knuckle biting enemy placement of the classic level based games. Hell, the bonfire system even seems like the save points in SotN - you get to a safe spot, save, and venture out to map territory and figure out how to fight the new, unique enemies in the area.

And it's as dark and gothic as anything could conceivably be.
This is what I love about the game. It has the amazing exploration of a Metroid/Metroidvania game except that everything can eat your face.

Running low on patience with the Gaping Dragon. I summoned Solaire and the gold knight dude last time and they both died. Are they dead for the rest of the game now?

knitoe

Quote said:
Running low on patience with the Gaping Dragon. I summoned Solaire and the gold knight dude last time and they both died. Are they dead for the rest of the game now?
Nah, you can keep summoning them.

That boss is easy.
2 hand your weapon. Put on gear <25% and run around until does his running attack that stuns himself, run in, do 3-4 hits and repeat.

K1LLER7

so guys i'm at lvl 34, i've just got the divine ember and watchtown key from the forest, should I
go on to the wolf
or use the watchtown key?

I tried drakes valley and got killed :(

knitoe said:

That boss is easy.
2 hand your weapon. Put on gear <25% and run around until does his running attack that stuns himself, run in, do 3-4 hits and repeat.
I think the 2-hand part is the thing I'm missing. It took me so long to get him to 40% that I just start making mistakes. I'll try that, thanks!

Im on crystal cavs but those butterflies do a lot of damage... what is a good armor for those? I was wearing havels set and with some blue balls hit they left me with 2% or something like that

Also I dont have souls to buy the new logan's spells, can I buy them after he boss?

x3r0123

sotodefonk said:
Im on crystal cavs but those butterflies do a lot of damage... what is a good armor for those? I was wearing havels set and with some blue balls hit they left me with 2% or something like that

Also I dont have souls to buy the new logan's spells, can I buy them after he boss?

dont touch them

Quote said:
I think the 2-hand part is the thing I'm missing. It took me so long to get him to 40% that I just start making mistakes. I'll try that, thanks!

This is the truth -- I had him down several times over to less than 25%, but then I'd fuck up because I wasn't doing enough damage. It's the one time I used the drake sword and I wasn't even strong enough to use it one-handed...

K1LLER7 said:
so guys i'm at lvl 34, i've just got the divine ember and watchtown key from the forest, should I
go on to the wolf
or use the watchtown key?

I tried drakes valley and got killed :(

Watchtower key just opens the door that links undead burg to darkroot basin.

sotodefonk said:

Leave them alone unless you want to farm blue titanite slab for some reason.
The only one that will bother you is after you're done with invisible walkways and only if you go for the treasure on the left (I think it's a soul of a hero).

falconzss

kodt said:
No I don't think so,
knight laurtec kills her, if you freed him, once you enter the depths
You can get a second firekeeper soul pretty easily in New Londo Ruins.

Thanks and sorry for the late reply. :)

noone wants to get summoned or summon in the depths. This place is empty except for the BP that invaded me. I tried to kill him with my +5 wing spear but did nothing so I dual handed drakes and whooped his ass. feels good.

knitoe said:

That boss is easy.
Exactly, that boss has to be the easiest in the game, I see lots of people having problems but I suck at this game and one shot him.

scy

corrosivefrost said:
You have to farm it.

You can enter from just before the door to Demon Firesage (as if you were taking the shortcut) or you can enter from Lost Izalith side (far into it, after you climb out of the lava lake, just before the boss (down the root instead of up the stairs, bear right, take out the prowling demon).

Either way, chaos bugs drop sunlight maggots.

I thought it was a guaranteed drop from one of them in particular, not a random drop?

izunadono said:

I don't really think there is a similar system to World Tendency in Dark Souls. Perhaps the covenants were an attempt, but they are to localized and unbalanced. Having the world change so drastically based on WT and CT made Demon's Souls a very unique experience even after having run through levels dozens of times. Covenants change an area of the game in a very limited way and seem more like a way to expand the PVP than anything else. I hope that WT returns for the next installment. Encountering NPCs as both humans and (red/blue) phantoms and the actual changes to maps were very engaging experiences. Never mind the change in difficulty.

I love many of the changes that have been brought into Dark Souls - having one connected world, covenants, the bonfire system, and would love to see humanity return in 3 but be implemented more as an extension of Demon's Souls CT system (more humanity actually determines how characters interact with you, but you can still lose it all in two consecutive deaths). I also hope that Bosses are more like Demon's Souls (more unique engagements). In the end I found Demon's Souls to be the more challenging and engaging experience, but am glad that From made changes to the formula. A marriage between the two (with a more optimized engine) would be gaming bliss.

Maybe I'll reroll a character in Demon's Souls while I wait for my Dark Souls strategy guide to arrive.

scy said:
I thought it was a guaranteed drop from one of them in particular, not a random drop?

Pretty sure it's a random drop -- I've tried to farm it because I want a second to trade to the crow in asylum for old witch's ring... but I don't want to give away the hat because it will be useful for Tombs and such in NG+.

Huh, according to wiki, it's 1 per game:

Availability

Found in Lost Izalith.
Obtained by killing the glowing-red maggot in the tunnel in the charred ruins of Lost Izalith. This tunnel is found before the Bed of Chaos boss room, look for a root that will take you to a lower level of the ruins.
If players have Chaos Servant+2 covenant rank they can use the shortcut to access this area early. (Shortcut is found in a tunnel near the White Lady)
This helmet only drops once per NG.

scy

corrosivefrost said:
Pretty sure it's a random drop -- I've tried to farm it because I want a second to trade to the crow in asylum for old witch's ring... but I don't want to give away the hat because it will be useful for Tombs and such in NG+.

Huh, according to wiki, it's 1 per game:

Yeah, I know it's limited to the one time per cycle, though I thought it wasn't random as well. Then again, wouldn't really be pointed out that it's once per game if it wasn't random, I suppose. I guess I've just been lucky or something.

Hm. Oh well. Doesn't change the fact that you want to get it to make the Tomb less annoying, lol.

Aeana

Just beat the gaping dragon. I guess it's harder for melee? It was a super joke boss for me, I just cast great soul arrow a few times while moving sideways. I didn't even have to roll. (._. )

RyanDG

Aeana said:
Just beat the gaping dragon. I guess it's harder for melee? It was a super joke boss for me, I just cast great soul arrow a few times while moving sideways. I didn't even have to roll. (._. )

No... It's just as easy when as melee. Once you take out his tail as a melee character, there is absolutely no reason why you should even be hit once in the fight.

Gaping Dragon was cake. Let him do his chomp attack, hit him in the head with a light -> heavy combo then sprint away. Rinse and repeat.

I was expecting some sort of super attack towards the end but it never happened. Didn't take any damage either (I couldn't since I was cursed)

note: I did have to die a few times to develop this strategy.

Not sure what I should do with all the souls he dropped. Level up or buy some equipment?

scy

Aeana said:

Strafe, cast GSA is like the generic boss strat for a good chunk of the mid-game bosses for Casters, lol.

NBtoaster

Hope I haven't screwed myself.

Beat Quelaag, and
had to kill the servant in front of the other girl because he wouldn't let me in. Joined the chaos covenant. Told the pyro guy in firelink about it, and he ran off and I assume is dead. Pyro glove is only at +10.
Do I still have a way of getting more pyro spells and upgrading?

Varna

Demon ruins is no joke. I took out the boss which was pretty damn hard. I thought it was smooth sailing from there... :(

Captain Pants said:
The Lost Izalith boss can suck shit. Goddammit I hate this fight.

I'm there now :(
I just had to kill Soliare :( Screw Gwyn in NG+, my mission is to save Solaire the second time around!

EDIT - And its not the boss I mind so much its the super-annoying run back, dodging all those little fire guys.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm minding every part of it.:p Goddammit... this is the first time I've been super pissed off at the game. I know what I have to do, but I just can't get there.

Aeana

I entered Blighttown, beat some dudes, thought I was going to do all ri--!!TOXIC!! "omg what the heck is this <runs back to bonfire>"

Now I have the spider shield on, so hopefully that'll help. (._. )

frequency

Aeana said:
For pretty much every boss in this game, as melee, all I really do is strafe sideways or roll between their legs if they're big and hit them after they miss an attack.
The only boss, off the top of my head, that I didn't to this with was the Butterfly...

Xanathus

Captain Pants said:
I'm minding every part of it.:p Goddammit... this is the first time I've been super pissed off at the game. I know what I have to do, but I just can't get there.
Haha, I just killed it for the 2nd time half an hour ago and out of curiosity I checked how the speed run dude did it on youtube. Spoiler video of course, but you'll smack yourself on the head when you realize how stupidly easy it is to cheese that boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRBlbx4M7D8

Xanathus

redhot_ said:
o_O Whaaaaa... do explain..
Err there's a
channeler (mage) on the balcony who will shoot Soul Arrows at you during the boss fight if you don't kill him beforehand. He can also cast a buff which affects the Gaping Dragon.

Captain Pants

Xanathus said:
Haha, I just killed it for the 2nd time half an hour ago and out of curiosity I checked how the speed run dude did it on youtube. Spoiler video of course, but you'll smack yourself on the head when you realize how stupidly easy it is to cheese that boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRBlbx4M7D8
I know about the last part, I just can't
kill the second orb thing.
I can't make it past all of the shit the boss throws at you to get there.

Xanathus

Captain Pants said:
I know about the last part, I just can't
kill the second orb thing.
I can't make it past all of the shit the boss throws at you to get there.
Well it really depends on which one is the 2nd orb for you, left or right. If you watch the video, you'll see that he easily takes out the left orb (from where you start facing) by
fucking shooting at it with arrows
. The right orb is much harder since there isn't a safe line of sight.

Captain Pants

Xanathus said:
Well it really depends on which one is the 2nd orb for you, left or right. If you watch the video, you'll see that he easily takes out the left orb (from where you start facing) by
fucking shooting at it with arrows
. The right orb is much harder since there isn't a safe line of sight.
Sadly I went left first and it is driving me fucking insane. edit: I Iron Fleshed it and somehow didn't even get hit on my way back this time. So weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom