• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathala

Banned
The key with Gaping is speed (and not be greedy taking shots )

Fought him without chest armor and just ran
Once he do the body slam. ran toward him and slash his face. Just don't be greedy adding slashes or u'll get steam rolled

Yea gaping is easy. I just waited until he did a move with long recovery and went in for 4 hits each time. The rest was watching the two npc summons get man handled. Also I shake my head at gaping's designer....why did they have to do that....

Izuna

Banned
Okay then. I understand. Got an upgrade to my Drake Sword which is the Lightning Spear, but
I just got raped by a treasure chest.

My stack of Humanity ~20 is gone now, and I see that death in Dark Souls is more expected, hence the lessened consequence for dying.

After spending some time in Sen's Fortress I'm fully decided that this game has more wonder to it. Large creatures pulling gigantic chains, or huge crows protecting its eggs.

Contrary to what anyone might think, this isn't more of the same, nor is it "worse" than Demon's Souls. It really is taking a whole new direction. The similarity of the gameplay distracts from this, however.

I've noticed that one of my biggest issues with Demon's Souls combat is remedied haha. Enemies/people have invincibility frames during knockdown now, so you can't simply run behind every enemy and inflict them with bleeding before they have the chance to move again.

Aeana

Wow, that was quite a rush. I'm wandering around Blighttown in its glorious 12 FPS, and I see a shiny thing on a corpse. "Ooh," I say, and roll off the platform onto the one below, falling through the floor in the process. Some fire-breathing dogs came up to me and greeted me, resulting in a nice death. I respawned in the depths, and made my way back to Blighttown - determined to get my souls back. I proceeded very cautiously, managed to find the bonfire first, and then went backward and happened across my souls, then slowly made it back to the bonfire. I would have lost 41k souls and I wasn't going to have any of that! I feel pretty good.

This place is horrendous. :(

knitoe said:
Nah, you can keep summoning them.

That boss is easy.
2 hand your weapon. Put on gear <25% and run around until does his running attack that stuns himself, run in, do 3-4 hits and repeat.
Thanks for the info again. I took off all my armor and 2-handed my Drake Sword and beat him first try. I also figured out that you should hit him a few times right after he slams down, not just when he runs into the wall.

So.. I created a Wanderer because DEX sounded fun, but then read that DEX isn't all that great right now. So I've been just putting status into END and STR, especially STR because I wanted to use the Zweihander. Well, I can finally wield that beast but I hate it, it's way too slow. So I'm back to my Drake Sword again.

I guess my question is what are some stuff I should be looking out for to change up my EQ? I'm still wearing the Wanderer set and the Drake Sword. I like the Sword/Shield combo and because I put so much into STR, I guess i'm looking for those types of weapons.

Aeana said:
Yeah, I went down the first ladder, saw the fat dude and quit the game for the night. I was kind of hoping that the depths was the most Valley of Defilement type area we'd get in Dark Souls. Too bad.

sixghost

Is anyone using a Halberd? Just curious which ones are any good. The Gargoyle Halberd looks fucking great, but it's a rare drop from an enemy that only exists 4 times a playthrough, so odds are I'll never get that.

Styles

Dogs are some of the most annoying enemies in Dark Souls, especially those fire breathing ones. I've died many, many times to them.

Darkkn

I found Blighttown to be fairly easy and quick when entering from valley of drakes entrance. Getting to ground floor and to bonfire near the boss is quite fast and there is fire keepers souls near by that entrance.
Whoever decided that infinite spawns of those pesky hornets or whatever is an idiot. Also how is it possible to have such an horrible frame rate in a area where you can't see a shit beyond immediate vicinity of the player?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Darkkn said:
Also how is it possible to have such an horrible frame rate in a area where you can't see a shit beyond immediate vicinity of the player?

I think that's an AI issue. The game seems to keep track of enemy behavior even if out of view and when lots of them are in the area, the frame rate drops.

I've tried running around New Londo Ruins, luring ghosts and having them all following me and managed to bring the frame rate down to 1fps.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TTP said:
I think that's an AI issue. The game seems to keep track of enemy behavior even if out of view and when lots of them are in the area, the frame rate drops.

I've tried running around New Londo Ruins, luring ghosts and having them all following me and managed to bring the frame rate down to 1fps.
Crap, I was actually planning on doing this as an actual strategy to get the parrying dagger. :p

sixghost

Hawkian said:
Crap, I was actually planning on doing this as an actual strategy to get the parrying dagger. :p
The parrying dagger was a huge disappointment. Don't build it up too much, parrying is still really tough even with it.

Kalnos

Banned
Aeana said:

On the bright side... if I know where you're talking about those dogs were guarding a nice item!
KuGsj.gif

firekeeper's soul

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sixghost said:
The parrying dagger was a huge disappointment. Don't build it up too much, parrying is still really tough even with it.
:lol

Hehe. Parrying isn't tough for me without it. 20 hours of practice in 4-1 in Demon's Souls got me there. A few frames extra to parry can make all the difference.

Although, if I can get them, dual wielding jagged ghost blades definitely seems like it's in the spirit of my character.

Grinchy

Banned
[The Duke's Archives]

I didn't like that at the opening were
2 armored boars. I'm not against this in theory, but the execution felt awful. Maybe it was just because of my build, but I could not legitimately fight them. No matter where I hit them it would do ~17 dmg and I'd stagger backward. I had to do the cheesy method of running back to the point where they can't get to you so you can hit them or shoot them with arrows.
What's the point? That felt like terrible design. Maybe there's a weapon type that can get through a little better but I like to stick with my build.

Also, the room with the
respawning trident-wielding mage dude. I'm not against him being there, but it just felt cheap. I know you can basically run past all this stuff and rush to the elevator, but again that feels like crappy design. If you actually want to battle everyone as a melee build, it's a huge pain in the ass. If I were a magic character this wouldn't have been as much of an issue.
It's also kind of annoying that the breakable objects don't break when you roll into them.

Of the later areas I've visited so far, I'm starting to agree with the people who felt the late game wasn't as good as the early game. I'm still liking it, and I will beat it, but I don't have the same strong feelings towards the game that I did before. It's almost like they made these areas so that you have to rely on exploiting the absolute most powerful methods of play. Why screw over melee builds? I guess I'll just farm some more souls and level up my armor and maybe look up the cheesiest ways to get through these zones.

Dresden

Looking back I really like Blighttown. It feels dangerous and if it wasn't chugging along at 10fps most of the time it'd be a nice, filthy place to look at.

That's how bad
Lost Izalith
is.

NBtoaster

NBtoaster said:
Hope I haven't screwed myself.

Beat Quelaag, and
had to kill the servant in front of the other girl because he wouldn't let me in. Joined the chaos covenant. Told the pyro guy in firelink about it, and he ran off and I assume is dead. Pyro glove is only at +10.
Do I still have a way of getting more pyro spells and upgrading?

Anyone? Please?

sixghost

NBtoaster said:
Anyone? Please?
There will be a pyro trainer sitting by a pillar near the spider nest in Blighttown. Though I'm not sure why the Firelink pyro would leave if you hadn't met the 2nd pyro trainer already.

Booshka

NBtoaster said:
Anyone? Please?
The Master Pyromancy trainer should be in Blighttown now, check the little stone pillar island areas next to the waterwheel. She should be sitting there and can train you advanced spells and upgrade your glove more.

NBtoaster said:
Anyone? Please?

I accidentally killed the girl... the guy is aggro'd.. I payed the priest for absolution but it didn't do anything... i've heard that you can let him turn you into an egg head and try to talk to him after that??? is that true?? i need help as well please

Sullichin

sixghost said:
Is anyone using a Halberd? Just curious which ones are any good. The Gargoyle Halberd looks fucking great, but it's a rare drop from an enemy that only exists 4 times a playthrough, so odds are I'll never get that.

I was lucky enough to get the gargoyle halberd. I love the moveset, i suck at this game though so probably not the best person to be taking advice from.

sixghost said:
Has anyone seen a picture of anyone with the Mimic Head helmet?

Maybe it's just a joke, but the guide says it exists. Apparently it's a S-rank(the rarest) drop from a Mimic, of which there are maybe 7-8 in the whole game.

It's supposed to increase item find 200, reduces stamina recovery, and causes you to lose 5hp a second.

What a weird item.

i found one of those in the library yesterday. haven't tried it on, not sure if i want to use it on common enemies. maybe it's good for farming slabs?

Ooccoo

Anyone has tips to beat the knights? They are quick, have shields, are tall and usually come in pairs. I hate them. I'm talking the big ones after the part with the metallic boar you need to lure.

Dresden

Ooccoo said:
Anyone has tips to beat the knights? They are quick, have shields, are tall and usually come in pairs. I hate them. I'm talking the big ones after the part with the metallic boar you need to lure.
Those rapier knights? Keep your shield up, circle around them until you're behind them, backstab.

tokkun

Johnny2Bags said:
I accidentally killed the girl... the guy is aggro'd.. I payed the priest for absolution but it didn't do anything... i've heard that you can let him turn you into an egg head and try to talk to him after that??? is that true?? i need help as well please

If you killed Quelana (black-robed trainer in Blighttown) and Eiyingi (egg-backed trainer in Quelaag's domain) and Laurentius has gone hollow, then you are SOL as far as upgrading your flame.

UFRA

140.85 said:
Does Humanity affect drop rate?

When looking at your stats page, press the select button and you can highlight over every item to get a definition.

140.85 said:
Cool. Does it matter if you are hollow or not?

No.

sixghost said:
I thought it did, but I had 6 souls active while hollow, then revived to human and had less item find than before.

That's because you used 1 humanity to revive to human, so your drop rate decreased based on having only 5 humanity instead of 6...

tch

Ok. Should I play Dark Souls or Demons Souls? I just received Demon's Souls from Goozex and have yet to start it, but I did boot it up just to see the character creation screen. I do not own Dark Souls. If Demon's Souls, which class should I play with first?

tokkun said:
If you killed Quelana (black-robed trainer in Blighttown) and Eiyingi (egg-backed trainer in Quelaag's domain) and Laurentius has gone hollow, then you are SOL as far as upgrading your flame.

the egg head trainer is still alive!! but trys to attack me.. paying for absolution did nothing it seems i wasted 120,000 souls??/ i heard if you get turned into an egg monster and talk to him after he attacks you he will offer you a cure?? or since he is aggro'd am i fucked? anyone have a similar experience?

Grinchy

Banned
tch said:
Ok. Should I play Dark Souls or Demons Souls? I just received Demon's Souls from Goozex and have yet to start it, but I did boot it up just to see the character creation screen. I do not own Dark Souls. If Demon's Souls, which class should I play with first?
Like a Final Fantasy game, the story is completely separate so either one would be fine. Personally, I'd start with Demon's Souls. Dark Souls is fucking awesome but my only point of reference is coming from DeS. Maybe that's why I like DkS so much.

If you want to have an easier time, start as a Royal.

sixghost

UFRA said:
When looking at your stats page, press the select button and you can highlight over every item to get a definition.

No.

That's because you used 1 humanity to revive to human, so your drop rate decreased based on having only 5 humanity instead of 6...
Yeah, but I thought being human also raised your drop rate. I figured 5humanity + being human would be equal to hollow + 6 humanity. Turns out I was wrong.
Augemitbutter said:
i found one of those in the library yesterday. haven't tried it on, not sure if i want to use it on common enemies. maybe it's good for farming slabs?
Wow really? Could you take a picture of your character with it on?
Vect said:
Some of you who have the full tangible guide, do you think it was worth your money? I'm thinking of buying a copy.
I got it for $13 off amazon, and I love it. I don't know if I would buy it for the msrp of $25 though.

Aeana

Finally made it to the second bonfire in Blightown, but not before an epic 3 FPS showdown against 3 of those big bug things and 2 of the red mosquito things. I thought I was going to die. (._. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom