• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny2Bags said:
the egg head trainer is still alive!! but trys to attack me.. paying for absolution did nothing it seems i wasted 120,000 souls??/ i heard if you get turned into an egg monster and talk to him after he attacks you he will offer you a cure?? or since he is aggro'd am i fucked? anyone have a similar experience?

Anyone? =( semi-depressed about this new turn of events =(

Zzoram

Johnny2Bags said:
Anyone? =( semi-depressed about this new turn of events =(

I'm surprised absolution didn't fix it. Normally it does, maybe only for other NPCs, he might be different since he's an egg head.

Am I missing something with the scaleless guy?
The only way to hit him is range I guess but other than my pyromancy my range damage sucks ass, then he kills me and sends me far back in a jail cell lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GhostRidah said:
Am I missing something with the
scaleless guy? The only way to hit him is range I guess but other than my pyromancy my range damage sucks ass, then he kills me and sends me far back in a jail cell lol
I know there's an answer to your question, but maybe spoiler it like I have to inspire others to spoiler the answer as I'm hoping I can figure it out on my own.

Yo Gotti

Banned
tch said:
Ok. Should I play Dark Souls or Demons Souls? I just received Demon's Souls from Goozex and have yet to start it, but I did boot it up just to see the character creation screen. I do not own Dark Souls. If Demon's Souls, which class should I play with first?

Choose whichever class you feel interested in trying, they're all effective, have different starting weapons and armor, etc. My advice, don't pick Royal unless you want to cheapen the experience as much as possible.

Zzoram said:
I'm surprised absolution didn't fix it. Normally it does, maybe only for other NPCs, he might be different since he's an egg head.

exactly! I was hoping someone else in the world had at least aggro'd him and tried to solve it through absolution... cuz it really kills my build =( I read that maybe turning into an egg by his attacks would result in him giving me a cure and being civil?? please if anyone has any leads or even hunches let me know

Tomorrow is Saturday. Wife will be out of town. Guide is being delivered tomorrow.

All of these things mean I will be doing some major Souling.

Next steps:

1) Clear
Darkroot Garden
, farm. Fuck those
giant stone guys
2) Go get
Soul Arrow
and
Heavy Soul Arrow
3) Go back to
Lower Undead Burg
to beat the fucking
Capra Demon

It's insane how early I still am in this game after all these hours. I'll be happy to have the guide mostly just so I can get around faster and know which NPC's have what stuff. I keep forgetting where all the shortcuts are (and it'll only get worse, I know!).

NBtoaster

sixghost said:
There will be a pyro trainer sitting by a pillar near the spider nest in Blighttown. Though I'm not sure why the Firelink pyro would leave if you hadn't met the 2nd pyro trainer already.

Booshka said:
The Master Pyromancy trainer should be in Blighttown now, check the little stone pillar island areas next to the waterwheel. She should be sitting there and can train you advanced spells and upgrade your glove more.

Thanks, found her :D

Thought I had screwed myself good.

Styles

firehawk12 said:
Do Crystal Lizards respawn if you miss them? I'm doing some reading and I'm not quite sure if there's a definitive answer.

From what I've experienced yes, they will respawn unless you kill them... or they die from falling off branches...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Insaniac said:
save quit and reload

Vect said:
From what I've experienced yes, they will respawn unless you kill them... or they die from falling off branches...

Hrm, okay. I just want to go through the Great Hollow normally without worrying about missing all this ONE TIME ONLY stuff. As if navigating the branches isn't stress enough.

I found the secret "entrance" to the Tomb of Giants in the Catacombs. Is it better to start the level from there? Cause I can't see shit if I go there from the boss fight area.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Man, I'm wearing the ring that makes me invade people when they're in the forest and I'm getting my ass kicked. Like one shot type ass kicked. Is this normal? I haven't even seen half the stuff that they're using atm.

Ken

RiccochetJ said:
Man, I'm wearing the ring that makes me invade people when they're in the forest and I'm getting my ass kicked. Like one shot type ass kicked. Is this normal? I haven't even seen half the stuff that they're using atm.

It apparently does not match you based on soul levels. I've had players who one shot me and never give me a chance to do anything, and also players who try to use the soul grinding exploit on me and another black phantom (we each threw many fireballs at the guy while he waited in the corner for us to turn around and jump off the stairs).

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ken said:
It apparently does not match you based on soul levels.
Huh... Is there a better covenant or anything that gives me a fair chance if I'm invading or being invaded? I've only experienced pvp in the forest so far...

Ken

RiccochetJ said:
Huh... Is there a better covenant or anything that gives me a fair chance if I'm invading or being invaded? I've only experienced pvp in the forest so far...

Not sure. I'm currently in the Darkwraith covenant and so far my fights seem to have been fair.

Insaniac said:
so i ran into a guy who had a helmet i guess it looked like a giant yellow bandaged spoon. wtf was that

It was the Xanthous Crown. The set is kind of a nod to Old Monk in Demon's Souls. You get it
in The Painted World of Aramis, you have to go in while Human and go into the courtyard, then off to the right there will be a bunch of dead people on spikes. Run around there and a BP will show up, kill him and then proceed to Priscilla. The set is behind her. If you killed her before fighting the BP (I don't kill her period so there's no problem for me) though you're screwed. Also comes with a Notched Whip, which has bleed damage.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/xanthous-set

The
fucking Four Kings are some bullshit. Everyone basically says you have to abandon your playstyle no matter what it is (unless it's the style they recommend) and go with cheesy Havel's Set/Stone Set and just sit there and absorb hits while you swing the strongest weapon you have in order to beat them. I'm a relatively light armored flippy guy with an Iaito, so that sucks.

Darkkn said:
I found Blighttown to be fairly easy and quick when entering from valley of drakes entrance. Getting to ground floor and to bonfire near the boss is quite fast and there is fire keepers souls near by that entrance.
Whoever decided that infinite spawns of those pesky hornets or whatever is an idiot. Also how is it possible to have such an horrible frame rate in a area where you can't see a shit beyond immediate vicinity of the player?
The thing about this is that once you get to the opposite side, if you start at the valley of drakes side, you hit a dead end and have to turn around :/

Ken

AlphaDragoon said:
It was the Xanthous Crown. The set is kind of a nod to Old Monk in Demon's Souls.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/xanthous-set

The
fucking Four Kings are some bullshit. Everyone basically says you have to abandon your playstyle no matter what it is (unless it's the style they recommend) and go with cheesy Havel's Set/Stone Set and just sit there and absorb hits while you swing the strongest weapon you have in order to beat them. I'm a relatively light armored flippy guy with an Iaito, so that sucks.

Do you have a decent shield and stamina? I went in as a pyromancer using the Gold-hemmed set, a lightning spear, and a Crest shield (regular sized shield). Even though an attack took out a lot of my stamina, there was decent time before his next attack for me to circle around him while charging up spells or poking him with my spear.

I was actually planning to Iron Flesh my way out of the fight but for some reason I couldn't use it whenever I entered New Londo Ruins.

Ken said:
Do you have a decent shield and stamina? I went in as a pyromancer using the Gold-hemmed set, a lightning spear, and a Crest shield (regular sized shield). Even though an attack took out a lot of my stamina, there was decent time before his next attack for me to circle around him while charging up spells or poking him with my spear.

Yeah, I make it hard on myself because I don't use a shield with my build. I rock Lightning Iaito+4/Pyromancy Flame+8 (mainly 2H the Iaito). But I'll keep trying, I don't want to be forced to give up on my build, I figure it has to be possible somehow.

I figured I'd try Iron Flesh myself and see how that works.

Ken

AlphaDragoon said:
Yeah, I make it hard on myself because I don't use a shield with my build. I rock Lightning Iaito+4/Pyromancy Flame+8 (mainly 2H the Iaito). But I'll keep trying, I don't want to be forced to give up on my build, I figure it has to be possible somehow.

I figured I'd try Iron Flesh myself and see how that works.

You could try rolling out of his physical attacks. Not sure about his AoE spells though.

Ken said:
You could try rolling out of his physical attacks. Not sure about his AoE spells though.

Yeah, I've only fought them a couple of times. I think the main thing I'll need is experience with fighting them in order to win.

Aeana

I managed to ring the second bell. The boss before it was another jokeyboss. I expect this string of joke bosses will come to an abrupt end soon enough, though. (._. ) I never want to come back to Blighttown ever again.

GhostRidah said:
Am I missing something with the scaleless guy?
The only way to hit him is range I guess but other than my pyromancy my range damage sucks ass, then he kills me and sends me far back in a jail cell lol
Any help? feels like im at a dead end.

Anyone know if saves are region locked? I have a European copy and a North American one. I like the European CE way more than the NA one and will probably sell the NA copy if the saves aren't region locked.

Ken

GhostRidah said:

The guide says your first encounter with him will always end with you losing. You have to advance through the map after being thrown into a jail cell and find where the true Seath is. He'll have a crystal that gives him invincibility until broken.

GhostRidah said:

Yeah, you're actually supposed to bite it in that fight.
Once you get thrown into the cell you can proceed through the rest of the level, which leads to the Crystal Cave where you can bump Seath's ass off for good. And before you ask, yes it is highly dickish of From Software to MAKE you lose a fight in order to progress through an area.

Grinchy said:
[The Duke's Archives]

I didn't like that at the opening were
2 armored boars. I'm not against this in theory, but the execution felt awful. Maybe it was just because of my build, but I could not legitimately fight them. No matter where I hit them it would do ~17 dmg and I'd stagger backward. I had to do the cheesy method of running back to the point where they can't get to you so you can hit them or shoot them with arrows.
What's the point? That felt like terrible design. Maybe there's a weapon type that can get through a little better but I like to stick with my build.

Also, the room with the
respawning trident-wielding mage dude. I'm not against him being there, but it just felt cheap. I know you can basically run past all this stuff and rush to the elevator, but again that feels like crappy design. If you actually want to battle everyone as a melee build, it's a huge pain in the ass. If I were a magic character this wouldn't have been as much of an issue.
It's also kind of annoying that the breakable objects don't break when you roll into them.

Of the later areas I've visited so far, I'm starting to agree with the people who felt the late game wasn't as good as the early game. I'm still liking it, and I will beat it, but I don't have the same strong feelings towards the game that I did before. It's almost like they made these areas so that you have to rely on exploiting the absolute most powerful methods of play. Why screw over melee builds? I guess I'll just farm some more souls and level up my armor and maybe look up the cheesiest ways to get through these zones.

The boars are weak to fire.

I haven't found anything to be overly melee unfriendly yet - I have a bit of pyromancy on my character, but I rarely use any of those spells ever - I find going toe to toe to be much more satisfying. Most areas it's easy to lure enemies to you one on one. Like in Dukes - lured out most of the room to kill things out of the line of site on the mage guy - then I'd rush in and take care of him.

If I'm feeling saucy I might chuck my crystal ring shield at them for a 1-hit kill, but it's not necessary. First time I approached there just after the Lord Vessle I found it was giving me a hard time, so decided to do the other areas and came back tonight and dealt with it no problem.

Styles

Hawkian said:
Where can I buy or get transient curses?

Limited amount from sewer lady and a few lying around in vases with a corpse inside. Oh and from those ghost, have the serpent ring equipped to have better drops.

CatPee

Anyone know if saves are region locked? I have a European copy and a North American one. I like the European CE way more than the NA one and will probably sell the NA copy if the saves aren't region locked.

Sorry to tell you, but saves are always region-locked for every game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gwyn
is slaughtering me. Whenever I block, my whole stamina gets depleted along with half my energy... and of course I die pretty much immediately after. What am I missing? I seriously considering not finishing this game cos I've spent a whole day dieing and it's not fun anymore.

Edit - nevermind. I need to parry and counter. Thanks Giantbomb guide.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Killed a bunch of ghosts and got the parrying dagger, then died. Not a one of them dropped anything. Hmmm.

Looks like a trip back to sen's is in order!

cj_iwakura said:
That's supposed to happen. You'll get another shot later on.

Ken said:
The guide says your first encounter with him will always end with you losing. You have to advance through the map after being thrown into a jail cell and find where the true Seath is. He'll have a crystal that gives him invincibility until broken.
Thanks, I have been wasting so much time working my way back to him after I die, like 4 times already... lol =/

I was able to damage him with my Crystal Ring Shield on the first encounter - I wonder if one was to have enough patience if they could pull it off - but even after 2 or 3 hits and seeing the damage register, his HP bar didn't visibly drop at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom