• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

FINALBOSS

Banned
RaPt[+]R said:
I'm going to start Dark Souls this week and would like some character-building advice. I want to create a magic-focused character. I have read here on GAF and elsewhere that "wanderer" is the best starting class for a magic build. Is this generally accurate?

Second, does anyone have advice concerning how I should play my magic character at the start of the game? Are there certain items I should strive to get sooner than later? Certain areas I should go to before others?

I played Demon Souls extensively; however, I always used a melee build. Looking to change things up this time around.

Thanks for any advice offered!

I started as a Pyro (only lvl1 starting char and you get a catalyst early on from a body). The MAIN thing I would grab first is the ring that Griggs sells for 20k souls--the one that boosts sorcery power. Any pyro/sorc should be wearing that bad boy. You can't get him until a few hours in though.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Orayn said:
"Knight Kirk" invades you in the Depths if you go past a certain point in human form. I don't think he drops anything good, though.
He would invade three times totally in the game, and you could get his armor if you triple-own his ass.

So after Anor Londo: Catacombs or New Londo?

corrosivefrost said:
Any place to *find* a washing pole? Not really looking forward to getting Shiva to appear again so I can buy it in NG+.

I have only ever seen it discussed as something to be bought from Shiva. I finally got it this morning, but was too busy to check it out.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Guevara said:
I don't think I'm ready for Ornstein and Smough, but that's where I am. I'm about level 40, no particularly awesome weapons, but I got the
robes armor by Ceaseless Discharge
. I've tried the bosses about 3 times so far, but I never see summon signs and I'm low on humanity.

I am proud of myself for getting past the archer bitches.

Any tips? Should I grind a bit and level up some weapons?

40 is wayyy too low I think.

I was a lot higher with some godlike sorceries and it took me forever to beat those guys--about 5-7 tries.

I grinded on the forest dudes for quite a while. I finished the game at lvl 109...don't exactly remember what level I was there, but I'm pretty sure my INT was at least 50 by that point.

K' Dash

Baha said:
The Painted World of Ariamis. I'm SL 73 and have been summoned over 10 times. it's a relatively small dungeon with an easy black phantom NPC and easy boss. Also you can farm the crows there for souvenirs of reprisal (Required for ranking in Blade of the Darkmoon covenant) but it's rare drop so expect to spend some time there if you're gonna farm.

I would very much appreciate if someone could help me with this, I'm at the bonfire and try to finish it today.

SL47, I'll be on at 9EST if someone wants to help.

johntown

Banned
Wimps said:
I'm starting to get really fucking pissed here.

Fighting the end boss of Painted World, I know she's really easy and all. And I get alot of hits off with my lightning spear, but there's one problem. She stays invisible for the entire fight. My Pyromancing skills suck, so they barely ever hit, pretty much my crystal halberd hitting her for like 15 times and she never pops back to visible mode.
Shoot an arrow or two into her so you can see where she is. She will only stay invisible until you get a certain amount of damage to her. Once she has taken enough damage then she will appear.

I had the same equipment you did but I found the Drake Sword+4 worked much better for me.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I don't consider myself the best DS player, but I'd think I'm pretty much unkillable as a sorc with homing crystal soulmass.

That spell is unbelievable. I just toss it up and if you try and swing at me, I just block and it pretty much 1 shots you. I think mine hits for 1.5k

johntown

Banned
prodystopian said:

I have only ever seen it discussed as something to be bought from Shiva. I finally got it this morning, but was too busy to check it out.
I went to the catacombs and I am doing New Londo right now.

Kyoufu said:
Anything with fire on it (pyro, weapon) will reveal her after a stagger. So a 3 hit combo with the Quelaag Furysword for example will reveal her for a long time.

A shortcut to the titanite demon so I can farm it.
Do you know where the shortcut is located?

Wimps said:
Thanks for all the tips guys, but I know I can watch her feet. Now everytime I run in, the fight starts immediately, no more talking. Should I run in when she starts the snowstorm and hit her while 2h'ing a weapon? Do I have time for that?

I pretty much only have the basic Pyro skills (Combustion, Fireball) so I'll just try to hit her and she'll go down sooner or later I guess.

I used fireorb or great fireball, which take longer to cast and do more damage, but if you use fireball and pitch it in the direction of her feet, you should be able to catch her -- if you do, she'll stay visible for a little bit.

FINALBOSS said:
Same here. Went to Catacombs first before New Londo. Catacombs was a bitch with all those damn reviving skeletons.

Divine weapon. One and done.

I did catacombs > new londo, still need to go back to finish catacombs and do tomb of giants.

Finalow

corrosivefrost said:
How? I used that sword over the drake sword until I made a longsword+10 and found the lightning spear.
that sword against skeletons and the tomb of giants' boss at ng+ difficulty?
i don't think so.

am i too underlevelled in order to summon ng+ people at the tomb of giants? I'm level 91.

johntown

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
Same here. Went to Catacombs first before New Londo. Catacombs was a bitch with all those damn reviving skeletons.
If you have a divine weapon it make that part easy......tomb of the giants was a pain though but homing crystal soulmass made it easier to one shot most of the enemies.

FINALBOSS said:

Divine weapon kills skeletons instantly.

Get the spell 'cast light', it will help you a ton in cata and tomb.

FINALBOSS said:
I don't consider myself the best DS player, but I'd think I'm pretty much unkillable as a sorc with homing crystal soulmass.

That spell is unbelievable. I just toss it up and if you try and swing at me, I just block and it pretty much 1 shots you. I think mine hits for 1.5k
pvp is pretty broken in this game, there's tons of unstoppable things people can do, that's just one of many man.

FINALBOSS

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
I used fireorb or great fireball, which take longer to cast and do more damage, but if you use fireball and pitch it in the direction of her feet, you should be able to catch her -- if you do, she'll stay visible for a little bit.

Divine weapon. One and done.

I did catacombs > new londo, still need to go back to finish catacombs and do tomb of giants.

I pretty much just sprinted to those zombie pyromancers and killed them as soon as I could.

In other times I reverted the Occult Club you find to a divine +5 and rocked that.

I <3ed my spear too much though.

finalozzo said:
i don't think so.

am i too underlevelled in order to summon ng+ people at the tomb of giants? I'm level 91.

I did it last night in that range on my first game :lol.

The thing is, once you've been through the game once you can help people in harder areas on their first game or in NG b/c the levels will vary so much w/ more and more ppl playing. What they need to do is condense the lobby system.

oracrest

casabolg said:
dssolairewallpaper.jpg
Wallpaper for you guys!

Awesome :)

finalozzo said:
i don't think so.

Ahhh, for ng+. Well, that's how, I guess.
That sword loses effectiveness for non-faith builds by the time you hit Sen's Fortress in the initial playthrough. But until then, it's better than the drake sword, IMO.

prodystopian said:

What is so great about the Washing Pole? I got my friend to buy it since he's in the covenant after hearing so many people post good things about it - but it doesn't actually seem to be anything special, even after upgraded. Is there something about it we are missing?

Zzoram

duckroll said:
Yes, Y2Kev and I decided that OT3 should be a special Blighttown tribute. :D

Oh, Nirolak, you should tell them about your plans for the thread in the coming week or so. Lol.
I hope this doesn't mean the thread will be moved to Community. This thread, like the Demon's Souls thread, has to stay in Gaming so new players can easily access help. Nobody posted in the Demon's Souls thread when it moved to Community, and we stopped getting new people either interested or asking for help.

rogerroger22 said:
What is so great about the Washing Pole? I got my friend to buy it since he's in the covenant after hearing so many people post good things about it - but it doesn't actually seem to be anything special, even after upgraded. Is there something about it we are missing?

Katana swings with very long reach.

Now if I could get my Iaito to be that long...

Ok GAF i have a few questions, would be awesome if answered:

Im 'cursed' ...

-Where's the cheapest solution , that black dude above the church right? How much were these again?

-What's the best outfit to not be cursed again. I'm at the boss that curses you with ice.
-Where's the easiest way to farm souls without cheating. Darkroot garden?
- Any advice on the curse thing? I'll try the ruins finally cause i never did it, heard i could kill ghost while cursed.
- Also, the dude at firelink is gone and the bonfire can't be lit again, how to resolve that?
thanks

Finalow

is anyone here at ng+ and at the tomb of giants? What level?

then, have octopuses at duke's archives a better drop rate of humanity? (rats don't have a good drop rate).

rogerroger22 said:

From what I've seen it looks to upgrade the same as the Uchi (which is to say a point or two higher than Iaito), but it only scales to D with Dex. It also has terrible durability.

It seems as though its primary positive is the huge range.

Sullichin

Americanmushroom said:

Im 'cursed' ...

-Where's the cheapest solution , that black dude above the church right? How much were these again?

-What's the best outfit to not be cursed again. I'm at the boss that curses you with ice.
- Any advice on the curse thing? I'll try the ruins finally cause i never did it, heard i could kill ghost while cursed.
- Also, the dude at firelink is gone and the bonfire can't be lit again, how to resolve that?
thanks

3K at the guy above the church.
Darkroot behind the 20K door has a pretty obvious farming spot by the stairs, there will probably be messages.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Otheradam said:
How should I upgrade my Iaito? To +15 or max lightning?

According to the guide, there's really no reason why anyone shouldn't go lightning.

Sure, some enemies are pretty resistant to it, but who cares.

I'm surprised there's no ice/cold magic in this game.

Wimps

FUCK YES.

Finally defeated that Priscilla Soulbreed or whatever her name is.

She stayed invisible throughout the entire fight, ran out of Estus flasks but still got her.

Thanks for the tips GAF.

FINALBOSS

Banned
THE Caffeinated said:
The
Dragon Covenant
area, do I really have to climb that god damn tree again to get out ? Or is there a shortcut, please?!

I'm pretty sure you have to climb. Lol. I feel your pain. I went there on my 2nd runthrough before I got the
lordvessel
and had to walk ALLLLLLLLLLLL the way back. Once you get to the branches up top, it's really hard to find which way to go to get back up.

kodt

Banned
Carcetti said:
I asked this in OT2 end but didn't get an answer. Anyone?

You need to be Human.

Don't bother though, b/c that covenant seems glitched. I have tried and it doesn't seem to work. No indication that you are actually making other peoples worlds tougher, never received any souls (indicating that someone died), and was never invaded myself.

I haven't heard reports from anyone that it actually works.

THE Caffeinated said:
The
Dragon Covenant
area, do I really have to climb that god damn tree again to get out ? Or is there a shortcut, please?!
do you not have the Lordvessel yet? Holy Shit if you don't lol

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
NervousXtian said:
Just beat it, my thoughts in Spoiler-tag-land:

Overall I enjoyed the game, and it was my GoTY so far until the end, and it still tops anything else I've played.. it just felt unfinished.. especially the ending.. wtf? All that work.. for that? What if I don't really want to NG+.. that's all you are giving me?
I agree with this completely. The game is amazing but the ending is SOOOOO DAMN horrible. I liked Demon's Souls ending a lot better than this, even though back in the day I thought they could do a bit more with it but now looking at Dark Souls I think I appreciate it a lot more that I did before. At least you get a sense of closure with Demon's Souls ending, with Dark Souls, you're left scratching your head and wondering is that it? :\

Andrew.

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
OT3 and I haven't even killed the Gargoyle yet!

;_;

me neither...had to put the game away for a lil while...started to get so mad i couldnt even play right. can almost kill him...then...
his twin comes in and kicks my ass
. anyone have any advice????????????????????????

FINALBOSS said:
According to the guide, there's really no reason why anyone shouldn't go lightning.

Well, the reason not to go lightning is if you plan to go very high on Dex. I've heard +15 doesn't outdo +5 lightning until something like 50 or 60 dex, though, so you'd have to be quite dedicated to Dex for that to work out.

jkoch

Americanmushroom said:

Im 'cursed' ...

thanks

Yep, 3000 souls.

FINALBOSS

Banned
prodystopian said:
Well, the reason not to go lightning is if you plan to go very high on Dex. I've heard +15 doesn't outdo +5 lightning until something like 50 or 60 dex, though, so you'd have to be quite dedicated to Dex for that to work out.

Anything past 50 on any of the stats have severe diminishing returns though, right?

Wallachia

LiK said:
You guys playing online? I think people mentioned that online can cause framerate issues sometimes. I haven't played offline to check yet.

ONLINE/SUMMON SIGNS:

I think you mentioned in OT2 that you were having summon troubles? I am curious.. because I am too.. I am on PS3 NAT Type 3.. and last nite I was summoned to help 1 player beat a boss, and I had 1 person come join me.. that was it in like 2-3 hours.

Is this normal? Or are people seeing summon signs everywhere, and being summoned like every couple minutes (when in human form)?

orion434

THE Caffeinated said:
The
Dragon Covenant

It's really not that bad climbing all the way up, I did get a scare with the Basalisks almost cursing me. There are 2 long ladders that will get you a ways there.

Darkone

Dont know what to do, i have the lightning spear at +4 and i dont know if i should make it +5 and waste my only Titanite Slab.

Any advice on this one??

redhot_

K.Sabot said:
Should I upgrade my armor to +10 before finishing the game and heading into NG+?

Yes if you got the materials. The enemies dont hit that much harder though. Oh for any melee, Elite Knight Armor+10 body is really sick for a pretty simple and easy upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom