• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ok I just killed Quelaag... is there a faster way back to firelink shrine or just back to the surface without trucking it all the way back through blightown? I'm packing a lot of souls and dont want to risk them before I can get to a smith.

Footos22

Yay 53 hours. Soul level 93 and I'm done. What a great ride. Lost izalith was pretty shitty so luckily I was a chaos servant + 2. Last boss was piss with Havels armour and iron flesh. Took me about 15 tries to realise this though. Gives you loads of room for error. Chaos halberd +5 with 10 humanity is crazy powerful. Died most on last boss apart from that hiccup the game was pretty damn easy compared to demon souls. Dying so much on him got me all the black knight weapons though and a ton of chunks so happy I did. Started ng+ already. Feel Kind of empty now I finished it so seemed like the right thing to do.

hello dead bitches,
I'm looking for someone to die with in coop mode :D
my psn : vaichevengo
my skype : inki4music

thanks in advance for Your precious help :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Grinchy said:
Damn, I've seen like 1 out of 10 people who don't hate Lost Izalith. I'm not looking forward to that at all.
People do that zone so fucking wrong. It's not bad at all. I actually had some of the most heart pounding fun from it.

yeb

Wow, looking back, I found so many ways to screw up my first character:

1. First I was planning on making him more DEX-based with some sorcery on the side. When sorcery quickly became more useful than my Estoc, I decided to switch my focus to INT... after pumping 26 points into DEX. My health and stamina bars stayed very small.

2. Because I didn't consider my character a true caster when I first met the sorcery merchant, I totally forgot about his expensive rings and never bought the ring to boost sorcery damage.

3. When I found Dusk, I tried the new catalyst she carried. I don't even know how it happened, maybe my Sorcerer's Catalyst needed to be repaired (without telling me) after the Gaping Dragon's stupid durability attack, but I compared them and her catalyst gave me a large boost in damage. It was such a big improvement that I switched and never looked back, so I used the weakest catalyst in the game until near the end. The upgrade I found had stats equal to a regular Sorcerer's Catalyst.

4. I didn't know items could suddenly appear after interacting with NPCs and reloading, so after finding Dusk on my second check in her area I never made a third check and missed her sorcery-boosting crown. I also missed Beatrice's and Logan's catalysts for the same reason. Oh, and I joined the Darkmoons, so no alternative to the Dusk Crown.

5. I never got my Lightning Spear because of a ridiculous situation.
The mimic stepped onto the little elevator, and I had done just enough damage to him that he died from the spikes at the top. When I tried to get the item hovering high up in the middle of the shaft, I managed to fall into the pit and it was gone when I came back.
Before I could make my own Lightning Estoc, I found a Demon Spear in Anor Londo. I had no other use for Demon Titanite and I figured it would be like a lightning weapon with stat scaling on top! I didn't realize lightning upgrades get ridiculous stat improvements over regular upgrades. Instead, I made an Estoc +14 for use with Magic Weapon spells and used Velka's Rapier a lot, which is probably weaker for me than an Enchanted Estoc +5.

That's probably more like 10 screw-ups, actually. I don't know how I even managed to beat the game with that character, and NG+ is a nightmare. My second character has been much better, it was fun killing the stone enemies in Lost Izalith with one jump attack. Melee's a lot more fun than sorcery in this game, especially non-spear/rapier melee.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kyoufu said:
People don't really understand the concept of running :(
Pretty much most people mention getting gang banged and trying to fight them or pick them one by one with arrows. I sigh every time =/

In other news, Green Weed is the best fucking shit ever. How good is it? So fucking good some spells get disabled when you fucking use it for the sake of balance hahaha.

Grinchy

Banned
QisTopTier said:
People do that zone so fucking wrong. It's not bad at all. I actually had some of the most heart pounding fun from it.
This is very good to read. Even zones that I disliked, I didn't hate.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Grinchy said:
This is very good to read. Even zones that I disliked, I didn't hate.
I just hope you are not colorblind to the color red :D

I think the main reason why I liked it was that the place is a fucking metroid tribute and if you skip it by going the shortcut then well shame on you for missing out on the damn tribute

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mattdaddy said:
Ok I just killed Quelaag... is there a faster way back to firelink shrine or just back to the surface without trucking it all the way back through blightown? I'm packing a lot of souls and dont want to risk them before I can get to a smith.
Run directly out of her lair and up into the wooden scaffolding. There is a big waterwheel which acts as a lift. Head to the back of it to head up. When you get off just climb the ladders to the top - the only enemies here are Mosquitos and if you keep moving you'll be fine (you did kill the toxic dart guys?). Then you can just run out to valley of the drakes, past three trolls which you can ignore if you run. Then across a wooden bridge is an elevator to new Londo, which is really close to the elevator to fire link shrine.

Or if you have tons of souls, hit a back wall down by where you rung the bell to open a passageway to a bonfire (answer yes to the weird egg guy), then you can spend your souls on upgrades etc

Well it happened again after entering the catacombs... "disasters are gone after defeat of gravelord servant"

What the hell does it means? I thought it was because my covenant but the wiki days nothing about this

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
sotodefonk said:
Well it happened again after entering the catacombs... "disasters are gone after defeat of gravelord servant"

What the hell does it means? I thought it was because my covenant but the wiki days nothing about this
It means people are finally starting to use evil eyes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kyoufu said:
People don't really understand the concept of running :(
People understand the concept, it's just that dark souls punishes you for it so often because the enemies follow well and tend to corner you. It's difficult to unlearn that

Styles

The only aspects I disliked about Lost Izalith was the blinding lava and some technical hiccups that made the game froze several times, other than that I enjoyed watching those things kill each other.

Has anyone used Zweihander as one of their main weapons? If so, how does it compare with the other 'ultra greatswords'?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
mrklaw said:
People understand the concept, it's just that dark souls punishes you for it so often because the enemies follow well and tend to corner you. It's difficult to unlearn that
BIG FUCKING OPEN FIELD OF NOTHINGNESS. It should be your first reaction. If only to give yourself space. The people that mentioned that they sat back and shot arrows are the most funny though.

Kyoufu

mrklaw said:

Enemies don't really follow that well though, they can lose track pretty easily, especially if you go on lower or higher ground. Then again, I learned this from Demon's Souls so maybe the experience from that game helps.

UFRA

So rather than beginning Sen's Fortress today I went and offered my services in co-op for the Depths boss.

It took like 3 hours total, and sometimes I had to wait almost 40 minutes for someone to summon me (other times as little as 5 minutes). But I made around 60,000 souls overall and I was able to upgrade all of my desired weapons to +5 standard, bought the poison/bleeding resistance rings, farmed for humanity and I'm back up to 10, and leveled up a couple times.

All in all, a good night. :D I keep telling myself next time I play I will progress into Sen's Fortress, but I keep getting distracted with farming and grinding for shit lol.

Next project is to return to The Great Hollow and get those crystal lizards I missed now that I saw someone mention how to get them to show up if you missed them the first time. I missed all of them in that area, and according to the guide that's the most plentiful location.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
QisTopTier said:
BIG FUCKING OPEN FIELD OF NOTHINGNESS. It should be your first reaction. If only to give yourself space. The people that mentioned that they sat back and shot arrows are the most funny though.
I'm not there, but I had a look in demons ruins after quelaag, and although nothing happens, I was edging forwards for a while, always expecting a giant lava worm or whatever to burst out of the ground and own me. Quiet is unsettling in DS

mrklaw

MrArseFace
UFRA said:
So rather than beginning Sen's Fortress today I went and offered my services in co-op for the Depths boss.

It took like 3 hours total, and sometimes I had to wait almost 40 minutes for someone to summon me (other times as little as 5 minutes). But I made around 60,000 souls overall and I was able to upgrade all of my desired weapons to +5 standard, bought the poison/bleeding resistance rings, farmed for humanity and I'm back up to 10, and leveled up a couple times.

All in all, a good night. :D I keep telling myself next time I play I will progress into Sen's Fortress, but I keep getting distracted with farming and grinding for shit lol.

Next project is to return to The Great Hollow and get those crystal lizards I missed now that I saw someone mention how to get them to show up if you missed them the first time. I missed all of them in that area, and according to the guide that's the most plentiful location.
Sounds good. Not tried coop but that boss is easy enough. I'm putting off sens fortress too. Cleared out darkroom gardens first, now wondering about peeking into the catacombs or not

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
mrklaw said:
Sounds good. Not tried coop but that boss is easy enough. I'm putting off sens fortress too. Cleared out darkroom gardens first, now wondering about peeking into the catacombs or not
If you got a divine weapon you can beat it easy. Doing so will make the rest of the game super easy early on if you have the humanity for kindling

QisTopTier said:

what's so funny about that? you got to kill them if you want to explore the zone. running away and searching for an exit is not my idea of fun. also you can't find out what those ugly pairs of legs drop until you've killed them. have you ever played an RPG before?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Augemitbutter said:
what's so funny about that? you got to kill them if you want to explore the zone. running away and searching for an exit is not my idea of fun. also you can't find out what those ugly pairs of legs drop until you've killed them. have you ever played an RPG before?
I explored the entire zone with them chasing me. Oh and they died too. I didn't attack once. Kinda dumb to ask if I never played an RPG before.

QisTopTier said:
I explored the entire zone with them chasing me. Oh and they died too. I didn't attack once. Kinda dumb to ask if I never played an RPG before.

sounds very exciting. this doesn't make the zone any good though.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
mrklaw said:
Run directly out of her lair and up into the wooden scaffolding. There is a big waterwheel which acts as a lift. Head to the back of it to head up. When you get off just climb the ladders to the top - the only enemies here are Mosquitos and if you keep moving you'll be fine (you did kill the toxic dart guys?). Then you can just run out to valley of the drakes, past three trolls which you can ignore if you run. Then across a wooden bridge is an elevator to new Londo, which is really close to the elevator to fire link shrine.

Or if you have tons of souls, hit a back wall down by where you rung the bell to open a passageway to a bonfire (answer yes to the weird egg guy), then you can spend your souls on upgrades etc

Sweet made it, thanks!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Augemitbutter said:
sounds very exciting. this doesn't make the zone any good though.
What are opinions who knows!

Here is why the zone is enjoyable

HOLY FUCK IM RUNNING ON LAVA GOT MY VARIA SUIT ON, HOLY FUCK IT'S LIKE FUCKING JARASSIC PARK DON'T FUCKING EAT ME, OMG OMG OMG A SAFE PLACE TO HIDE, HOLY SHIT THIS FUCKING STUPID LOOKING MONSTER WITH TENTACLES, HOLY SHIT LET ME LEARN SOME NEW PYRO........ OMG THIS BITCH IS ATTACKING ME, YO WHATS UP ONION BRO!!!! NOOOOOO!!!! HOLY SHIT THIS BOSS LOOKS FUCKING CRAZY, HOLY SHIT I JUST ONE SHOT IT LOOOOOL

Basicly the start of the zone is woaaaah, the middle of the zone is OMG OMG OMG, the near end of the zone is ahh this is normal again, then you get to the boss and are like HOLY SHIT, then you get to the "boss" and are like LOOOOOOOOOOL

The zone is full of emotion, unless you just take it slow and lame it out, or use that shortcut then the zone and two of the boss battles are not even there.

Insaniac

ugh if you summon someone into co-op don't go charging into battles if you die in two hits. I got summoned by this guy 5 times because he just wouldn't let me go in first. He kept dying all the time so finally I just blasted past the archers in anor londo and raced through the palace so he wouldn't run into enemies and DIE.

QisTopTier said:
The zone is full of emotion, unless you just take it slow and lame it out, or use that shortcut then the zone and two of the boss battles are not even there.

others might say you "lamed it out" by letting them kill each other. it's understandable that so many people hate that zone. you can barely see the treasures in the lava until you get near them. it's just the natural way to clear house before you start searching under these circumstances.

branny

QisTopTier said:
For obsessive loot whores, taking it slow and laming it out is the only way to safely explore that entire area without using a guide. >:|

branny said:
For obsessive loot whores, taking it slow and laming it out is the only way to safely explore that entire area without using a guide. >:|

you're not obsessive, just because you want to explore a newly visited area. it's natural.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
branny said:
Err, I looted the entire zone with no guide =.=

Let me put it this way. Not once did the idea of taking it slow ever cross my mind after I stepped in that place, I died the first time I got there on like the second big dude. Even with the ring you are still dying at a steady pace. The roots are small so there is no place to fight something let alone groups of something with massive aoes and jumps around. Which leaves you in the lava, which means one thing again. You don't wanna be in it to long. What do you do? HAUL FUCKING ASS FROM POINT A TO POINT B.

Augemitbutter said:
you're not obsessive, just because you want to explore a newly visited area. it's natural.
I explore every zone, I got every item in blight town before I straight up sprinted from start to bottom of it after my death. Knowing how to avoid needless fights is just as important as knowing how to overcome a fight. BIG TIME in NG+ and beyond.

branny

QisTopTier said:
Err, I looted the entire zone with no guide =.=

Let me put it this way. Not once did the idea of taking it slow ever cross my mind after I stepped in that place, I died the first time I got there on like the second big dude. Even with the ring you are still dying at a steady pace. The roots are small so there is no place to fight something let alone groups of something with massive aoes and jumps around. Which leaves you in the lava, which means one thing again. You don't wanna be in it to long. What do you do? HAUL FUCKING ASS FROM POINT A TO POINT B.
Maybe I should edit my post to say loot whores who are less psychotically hardcore. :p

QisTopTier said:
I explore every zone, I got every item in blight town before I straight up sprinted from start to bottom of it after my death. Knowing how to avoid needless fights is just as important as knowing how to overcome a fight.

indeed, but if you want to take advantage of your own item discovery boosts, you have to kill them yourself, otherwise you're in a bad position.

of course you're smarter once you've been through a zone before, but we're talking about the initial discovery here.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Augemitbutter said:
indeed, but if you want to take advantage of your own item discovery boosts, you have to kill them yourself, otherwise you're in a bad position.

of course you're smarter once you've been through a zone before, but we're talking about the initial discovery here.
That's what using poison cloud by the bonfire is for. :p

scy

Speaking of Izalith, just managed to somehow muck up getting the Sunlight Maggot drop. Neat. Wasting an off-hand slot or bumping INT up for Light for Tomb, I guess :/

Also, I hate Izalith with a passion, but I just don't really like fire levels much in general, though. Really, I kind of dislike all
three of the Lordvessel areas

Aselith

Beaten at 55 hours at level 75. I forgot to go back and kill the lady in the Painted World but fuck it. She's cool in my book. I used the Dragon Tooth for pretty much the last 3 or 4 bosses after I finally got my strength high enough. Love that club. :) Iron skinned and beat down the Asylum Demon like a little bitch in NG+.

Jonsoncao

Banned
:D Spent whole night pvp in the final area, tranquil walk of peace+hornet ring+bandit's knife+15 = 1k+ backstabbing dmg lol...

BeeDog

Hmm...

How do I trigger Solaire at the Anor Londo bonfire? I talked to him in Undead Burg, and I used his phantom for the Depths boss and the Bell boss, but he's not sitting at the bonfire in my NG+. What gives?

Grinchy

Banned
Hawkian said:
Still farming for a second ghost blade, maaaan.
I actually got 2 drops without even really wanting them. Like you said earlier, they use STR as a modifier and my STR is 10 lol. Maybe 11 now. I was going to take it to 14 to use the Iato. So I don't think the ghosts blades do much damage for me but I didn't actually equip them and look.

Noaloha

Weird thing about Sen's Fortress that I just remembered. Spoiler-tagging for the sensitive, though it's just speculation:
I feel like I missed out a huge portion of the upper level (I'm certain of it in fact) -- there's this whole other network of rooftops available that you can see, plus a big old monster-looking thing chilling out in the distance. Eyeballing it from afar, there seemed to be a route leading there where the big pile of boulders is, but it's blocked off by aforementioned big pile of boulders. Is that a 'later on in the game' thing or did I miss something?

Grinchy said:
I actually got 2 drops without even really wanting them. Like you said earlier, they use STR as a modifier and my STR is 10 lol. Maybe 11 now. I was going to take it to 14 to use the Iato. So I don't think the ghosts blades do much damage for me but I didn't actually equip them and look.

Yeah they don't do anything. Like butter knives, and my STR is 50.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Toodles said:
Weird thing about Sen's Fortress that I just remembered. Spoiler-tagging for the sensitive, though it's just speculation:
I feel like I missed out a huge portion of the upper level (I'm certain of it in fact) -- there's this whole other network of rooftops available that you can see, plus a big old monster-looking thing chilling out in the distance. Eyeballing it from afar, there seemed to be a route leading there where the big pile of boulders is, but it's blocked off by aforementioned big pile of boulders. Is that a 'later on in the game' thing or did I miss something?
You mean the giant, I believe? There's a pretty "direct" route to him...

33-Hit-Combo said:
Yeah they don't do anything. Like butter knives, and my STR is 50.
Have you upgraded them? I love the moveset.

Toodles said:
In the first section where you can fall into a pit with two Titanite Demons there's a side room with a ladder that leads up to the dude who drops the boulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom