• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

Got to the catacombs and just killed the second titanite statue.

What am I supposed to do now? I thought that there was a blacksmith here. I am on the second bonfire.

Kyoufu said:
I did it all without one, no idea why you would need one... I used Quelaag's Furysword.

I prefer skeletons not respawning and the damage you lose isn't that big of a trade off.

ElFly said:

What am I supposed to do now? I thought that there was a blacksmith here. I am on the second bonfire.

You can only get to the blacksmith via a shortcut. After the first bonfire do you remember a spiral staircase that went to nowhere? If you drop off of it as if it were still going you'll hit a ledge, and just keep walking and drop off for another ledge and then drop off into the hole for the blacksmith. This brings you right to Pinwheel about.

The room outside the blacksmith has about 8-10 of those skeleton/wheel monsters so becareful.

K' Dash

cj_iwakura said:
I'm trying to do that so I can afford the rest of Logan's spells, but a lot of my summoners are NG+. Owwww.

uuuhh, are you sure? you should be getting summoned by people at YOUR level, unless this is some bug I don't know.

knitoe

ElFly said:

In one of the spiral stairs, you have to drop down into the blacksmith area. The blacksmith then breaks a wall and you can access it from that shortcut.

MechaX

Kyoufu said:
Skeletons won't respawn if you kill the necromancer near them...

There is only really one area where the Skeletons will respawn without divine weaponry (right before Pinwheel where there are no necromancers).

MoxManiac

Has anyone successfully had any interaction with the gravelord covenant? I just got a message saying "Disasters will be gone once gravelord servant is defeated" or something along those lines. What does that mean?

K' Dash

demosthenes said:
Someone could get to NG++++ and still be SL50.

Well, yeah I know, but the posibilities of that happening are VERY low, and the posibilities he's ONLY getting summoned by people on NG+ are even lower.

Well, I beat Gaping Dragon on my first try. Had a summoned guy with me who was pretty skillful though. The Dragon didn't really seem all that hard, really easy to dodge. Guess I'm headed to Blighttown now, can it really be as bad as people say?

Xanathus

K' Dash said:
Well, yeah I know, but the posibilities of that happening are VERY low, and the posibilities he's ONLY getting summoned by people on NG+ are even lower.
On my current trophy farming character I'm about to finish NG1 and I'm level SL38, and I only leveled up for practical farming purposes. A lot of (Japanese) people are doing low level runs simply because you don't actually need to level much to beat the game easily. Also being a low level makes it easier to invade in low level zones.

Xanathus

Kyleripman said:
Any tips for fighting Gwyn? I can't seem to get many attacks in before getting stomped. He's like a hyper aggressive Old King Allant.
Get a max level fire/lightning weapon, iron skin, and a shield that can parry. Go inside, cast iron skin, parry and riposte him. Each successful riposte should take out at least 1/4 of his health. And if you fail to parry, iron skin should keep you safe.

Aeana

What sort of weapon would be best for me (sorcerer) to turn into a magic weapon? I have heard things about certain weapons scaling better with int than others, but I can't actually find any of this information myself.

demosthenes said:
If you do catacombs without a divine weapon you're doing it wrong.

I had fun rushing around trying to find the Necromancer - at one point I think I had a train of like 8 skeletons on me. Ran into a room, broke a wall, jumped down into a big pit - dodging skeletons on the ground, dodging archer skeletons trying to pick me off - scrambling past a giant skeleton, up a hallway - finally finding him. Taking him down and then managing to successfully dispatch the incoming train behind me - was probably one of my more hectic moments in the game, and managed to pull it off. Was a bit of a rush.

K' Dash

Xanathus said:
On my current trophy farming character I'm about to finish NG1 and I'm level SL38, and I only leveled up for practical farming purposes. A lot of (Japanese) people are doing low level runs simply because you don't actually need to level much to beat the game easily. Also being a low level makes it easier to invade in low level zones.

Uh, ok, my bad then.

Ken

So I just discovered the Catacombs, defeated the boss, and followed a bloodstain down to my death in the Tomb of the Giants. Should I bother advancing into that area or should I go elsewhere.

Kyoufu

Aeana said:
What sort of weapon would be best for me (sorcerer) to turn into a magic weapon? I have heard things about certain weapons scaling better with int than others, but I can't actually find any of this information myself.

You'll want to upgrade whichever weapon you want to use to +15 but don't actually modify it into a fire or lightning weapon so that you can still use the sorcerer spells "Magic Weapon" and "Crystal Magic Weapon".

Something like Estoc+15 or Moonlight Greatsword+5 whenever you get there.

Septimius

So I ran into a PvP cheater today. Fun times. He used that AoE bug that makes anything in the vicinity die. He invaded me three times. The third time I just quit the game.

dreamer3kx said:
Played about one hour as Warrior, want to go with mostly melee with very little magic, what should I go with stat wise?

Depends on if you're going for a more heavy weapons approach or a dexterous character build. Just don't get equal amounts of STR and DEX and ask yourself if you'd rather be wielding huuuge axes and swords or a katana or other asian blades instead.

I keep VIT, END and DEX high. I got two attunement slots and 15 INT, going to get that up to 18 at one point. That's to get access to some nice spells.

MechaX

Aeana said:

I hear people using Enchanted/Magic Claymores a lot. Enchanted Falchion's work too. With Magic and Enchanted weapons, you have more of a leeway of using what strikes your fancy than most other weapons. Scaling is terrible, but it works better for the Faith/Int crowds. Buffing weapons via enchantment as others have noted also works.

Of course, for magic builds, the Moonlight Greatsword is the quintessential weapon that you'll get later in the game.

Kyoufu

dreamer3kx said:
Played about one hour as Warrior, want to go with mostly melee with very little magic, what should I go with stat wise?

40 VIT and 40 END to start with and some STR to equip the items you want.

Kyleripman said:
Awesome tips, thanks. I can't believe he can be parried; I didn't even think to try. Hopefully the lord of cinder will fall tonight.

From my experience last night:

Summoned two dudes, one was a sunlight covenant looking for medals. We wrecked everything in the kiln, including the dark spirit that came for vengeance. We got to Gywn, and he was on me like whoa. One blocked hit put me in stagger, took all my stamina and half my life... I managed to get away and estus flask... in the meantime, he turned his attention to the other two. At this point, I circled around back and introduced him to homing crystal soul mass repeatedly while the other two banged away on him close range. It was the easiest boss fight I've ever had.

Aeana

I just trekked all the way up out of the Blighttown swamp into New Londo Ruins after beating Quelaag, walked excitedly toward the elevator, and fell to my death in the elevator shaft. Where is the elevator?!

Xanathus

rogerroger22 said:
I had fun rushing around trying to find the Necromancer - at one point I think I had a train of like 8 skeletons on me. Ran into a room, broke a wall, jumped down into a big pit - dodging skeletons on the ground, dodging archer skeletons trying to pick me off - scrambling past a giant skeleton, up a hallway - finally finding him. Taking him down and then managing to successfully dispatch the incoming train behind me - was probably one of my more hectic moments in the game, and managed to pull it off. Was a bit of a rush.
An alternative method instead of using divine weapons is to just lure them to bottomless pits and kick them off. A bit slower but I find it preferable compared to making a divine weapon *just* for one level. Of course once you know the location of the necromancers you can just make a beeline for them.

Ken

Aeana said:

I just trekked all the way up out of the Blighttown swamp into New Londo Ruins after beating Quelaag, walked excitedly toward the elevator, and fell to my death in the elevator shaft. Where is the elevator?!

You probably needed to pull a lever nearby to bring it up.

Aeana said:

At the top, probably? :lol
Next time, look in the hole and if it's not there, use the lever. :)

Septimius

Aeana said:

I did this the first time I found this short cut, too. I was so excited I was finally back at Firelink that I just ran into my death

knitoe

corrosivefrost said:
From my experience last night:

Summoned two dudes, one was a sunlight covenant looking for medals. We wrecked everything in the kiln, including the dark spirit that came for vengeance. We got to Gywn, and he was on me like whoa. One blocked hit put me in stagger, took all my stamina and half my life... I managed to get away and estus flask... in the meantime, he turned his attention to the other two. At this point, I circled around back and introduced him to homing crystal soul mass repeatedly while the other two banged away on him close range. It was the easiest boss fight I've ever had.
Any fight were the monster / boss doesn't pay attention to you would be the easiest ever. Now, try him by yourself.

iumogg

Neo Member
I have a few questions from a prospective buyer. I played maybe 10 hours of demon souls but got frustrated with the way the levels were set up and not knowing which level to go to next. So

1. Does having the open world structure make it easier to explore and figure out which path to take?

2. Do you prefer to play with guides or assistance or is it more fun to try to figure things on your own?

3. I've heard this game is a little less punishing. Is that true? Is it because you can wonder away from a bonfire until you feel threatened or out of you league and return to save and refresh?

4. Do you prefer longer play sessions or do you play in spurts?

5. Anything else you would tell a prospective buyer?

BeeDog

KAOz said:
What weapons do you have? Do you have a fully upgraded, good, right hand weapon?

And do you have the Crystal Ring Shield?

Makes that fight Easy Mode, whoever of them you fight.

I'm wielding a Fire Zweihander +10 in my right hand, and the Crystal Ring Shield +5 in my left. Solaire can occasionally act as a distraction so I kill off Ornstein, but whatever I do, I get pounded by souped-up Smough. He's too fast, so I'm not able to use the Shield in time, and his attacks have crazy tracking. :(

Felix Lighter said:
I'm in that range and I helped 6 or 7 people pass that boss yesterday. If you reconsider, I'll give you a hand.

Thanks for the offer, but I have no idea how to coordinate it since my gaming schedule is very irregular right now.

Xanathus

iumogg said:
I have a few questions from a prospective buyer. I played maybe 10 hours of demon souls but got frustrated with the way the levels were set up and not knowing which level to go to next. So

1. Does having the open world structure make it easier to explore and figure out which path to take?

2. Do you prefer to play with guides or assistance or is it more fun to try to figure things on your own?

3. I've heard this game is a little less punishing. Is that true? Is it because you can wonder away from a bonfire until you feel threatened or out of you league and return to save and refresh?

1. Haha, it actually makes it harder. It's like if an MMO let you go into zones that are way tougher than your level. However in theory you could beat those mobs and get super phat lewts at an early level.
2. Figure it out on my own first runthrough without caring about consequences, then read through guides to see what I missed and do a completionist run through next.
3. It's significantly less punishing mainly because they've polished the mechanics from Demon's Souls and give you extra options for how to handle challenges, but you have to actually try looking for alternative methods in order to benefit from them.
4. Shrug, a mix?
5. Buy it?

Septimius

iumogg said:

1) The world is simply beautifully made. It fans out in a well thought-out manner, while still tying the whole world together elegantly and openly. Compared to Demon's Souls it is more daunting, because unless you read a guide, you won't find out if you're going the right way without trial and error. If you do what most people do and get the Master Key as the beginning item (which I didn't for this reason), you can reach 50% of the game the first hour. But experiencing this world is totally worth it

2) I prefer a guide. Any character can become any thing, so I felt that if I didn't set out with a goal of what build to get, I'd throw points into many things, not mastering anything. And there are A LOT of tiny things you would never know. I'm sure I would be amazed if I had figured them out on my own, but a lot of things would also have gone over my head. The fact that NPC Invaders invade at certain parts in the game, so you have to be in human form is one of those things.

3) It's about the same level of punishment. When you're dead now, you don't lose half your HP.

4) They tend to be longer. You could play it in spurts, but I love this game and want to play it a lot

5) Get it. If nothing, it is a unique experience with probably the best realized world in a game like this ever.

knitoe

iumogg said:
Nope. It makes it harder to figure out where to go next.
iumogg said:
First game I ever bought a guide for. And, I beat DS without one. So, definitely, get the guide.

iumogg said:
I would say similar. Maybe, slightly harder since you can't ganked 1/2 of bosses from long range. There are lots more cheap moments in this game though.

iumogg said:
Game is made for long play sessions. You are going to die often which puts you back to bonfire with respawn monsters which doesn't work very well on short spurts.

iumogg said:
If you can't stand repetitive game play (monsters respawning) and grinding / farming, this game is not for you.

Ken said:
So I just discovered the Catacombs, defeated the boss, and followed a bloodstain down to my death in the Tomb of the Giants. Should I bother advancing into that area or should I go elsewhere.

Get the Spell "Cast Light" before going into Tomb of the Giants.

Kyoufu

BeeDog said:
I'm wielding a Fire Zweihander +10 in my right hand, and the Crystal Ring Shield +5 in my left. Solaire can occasionally act as a distraction so I kill off Ornstein, but whatever I do, I get pounded by souped-up Smough. He's too fast, so I'm not able to use the Shield in time, and his attacks have crazy tracking. :(

Thanks for the offer, but I have no idea how to coordinate it since my gaming schedule is very irregular right now.

Smough is too fast? Ehhh what.

Maybe equip the Darkwood Grain Ring if you can't evade fast enough. I'm sure you can cheese Smough with ranged spells/firebombs if you feel like you'll get hit up close.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
iumogg said:

You might see us talk about certain bosses driving us crazy, be aware that a good amount of the bosses in the game are purely optional. Only 36% of the bosses are required fights. (I'm not giving an actual number, because that would be a spoiler, so you'll have to guess how many 36% is. ^O^ ) Granted, its actually HARDER to get through certain sections w/o defeating optional bosses, but that's pretty much left up to you how you want to proceed w/ the game. There are also usually more than one way to get to certain sections, some easier than others, some easier if you did some hard stuff earlier, etc.

iumogg said:
I play with guides and exploits and every possible advantage I can get my bloody hands on. The game is unfair to begin with (in a good way!), and no matter how much help you get, its really not going to make the game "easy". It'll make it easier, but its still bloody hard.

iumogg said:
As someone who's played Demon's Souls first, for some reason, I really do think Dark Souls is easier. I DONT KNOW WHY. The game seems as brutally hard as Demon's Souls, but I just cant figure out why Dark Souls is easier.

iumogg said:
In the first 60 hours of gameplay (out of 87 hours), I played long sessions. The last 27 hours, have been spurts where I take a break as soon as I hit what I deem a milestone (getting to a new bonfire, killing a boss, etc).

iumogg said:
Not really, three OT threads should pretty much tell you all you need to know. :p

Zzoram

Wait, dropping down the catacomb spiral stairs is a short cut? What's the proper way? I went the other way and it was a dead end.

iumogg said:

1. I find that it makes it harder to figure out where to go next unless you are willing to either a) Put up with getting in over your head a few times, b) Poke onto the net to figure out where to go.

There is a bit of a 'logical' progression if you follow what the various NPC's say - but it's easy to not really understand. ie: In the first area outside of the Tutorial, there are 3 paths that you can go - two of which are not appropiate for that level (unless you know what your doing / doing item suicide runs). That said, I prefer the open world of this games over the hub nature of Demon's Souls. The world is beautiful and enjoyable to explore.

2. I do a bit of both - tried to strike the balance of 'figuring it out on my own' vs 'going to guides/wikis'. I think playing this game 100% blind would make it MUCH harder.

3. I'm finding it less punishing, bonfires are generally well placed, opening up shortcuts makes the world easier to navigate. Most bosses you can rush to the gate and avoid enemies once you know the route there - but part of this may also be me being used to Demon's Souls.

4. I tend to play in long sessions, and often have to force myself to put down the game - 4am on a work night, and having that itch to 'give it one more shot' or do 'one last thing'.

5. This game is awsome. Some of the later areas are not as enjoyable as the first, but hours 1-50 were probably some of the best gaming hours spent on this generation of console games, hours 50-60 have been good/above average - but don't hold up to the same level of quality as the first part. Still enjoying the hell out of the game though, and def worth the purchase.

BeeDog

Kyoufu said:
Smough is too fast? Ehhh what.

Maybe equip the Darkwood Grain Ring if you can't evade fast enough. I'm sure you can cheese Smough with ranged spells/firebombs if you feel like you'll get hit up close.

Yes he's fast; as soon as you put a wee bit of distance between yourself and him, he does his running attack where he puts the hammer down and chases you. It feels like you can't do anything since the tracking of that attack is so ridiculous; if you try to cast a spell, you pretty much always get hit.

Zzoram said:
Wait, dropping down the catacomb spiral stairs is a short cut? What's the proper way? I went the other way and it was a dead end.

Need to drop down the spiral stairs (and then a few ledge jumps down) to open up the black smith.

In the big field at the bottom - off to the one side is the pathway to the boss of the area (the field with all of the skeleton wheels).

Kyoufu

BeeDog said:
Yes he's fast; as soon as you put a wee bit of distance between yourself and him, he does his running attack where he puts the hammer down and chases you. It feels like you can't do anything since the tracking of that attack is so ridiculous; if you try to cast a spell, you pretty much always get hit.

Why not guard against it? Most of his attacks can be blocked except the thunder slam I think.

test_account

XP-39C²
In Anor Londo, when i get to the place
before the boss, and that message of "your red orb is tingeling" (or something like that hehe) appears, what are you suppose to do? I used a red orb, but it just said "failed to invade" after 30 seconds or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom