• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
BeeDog said:
Yes he's fast; as soon as you put a wee bit of distance between yourself and him, he does his running attack where he puts the hammer down and chases you. It feels like you can't do anything since the tracking of that attack is so ridiculous; if you try to cast a spell, you pretty much always get hit.

I know the attack you mean. Back up when he's charging you and roll through the swing he does at the end of it. Then cast the spell while he's recovering.

Ken

test_account said:
In Anor Londo, when i get to the place
before the boss, and that message of "your red orb is tingeling" (or something like that hehe) appears, what are you suppose to do? I used a red orb, but it just said "failed to invade" after 30 seconds or so.

Use the cracked black orb, not a normal cracked red orb (that's for invading other real players) you picked up from the Firekeeper.

Aeana

Just beat Sif. Quite an intense fight, I must say. Took me two tries, but my heart was pounding the whole time. I don't think I would have been able to do it without Havel's ring.

Kalnos

Banned
I must have fought Sif too late or something, I fought him after I figured out I needed to kill him for another area and I just kinda mowed him down effortlessly.

Aeana

Kalnos said:
I must have fought Sif too late or something, I fought him after I figured out I needed to kill him for another area and I just kinda mowed him down effortlessly.
I've only just rung the second bell.

Kalnos

Banned
I'm going to go to him earlier on this new character. I'm making a ninja dexterity pyromancer and joining the darkwraith covenant at a low-level.

Grinchy

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
Is the ring of steel protection as bitchin as it seems?
I think it has its uses. As a thief who tries to keep <25% burden, sometimes I put that on if I know I will be swarmed by enemies that each hit me for a huge portion of my HP. After upgrading my light armor I'm in better shape, but light armor is light armor.

WEGGLES

Fucking blight townnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Found the shortcut.

Got swarmed by flies.

Can't seem to hit them ever.

They keep poisoning me. Then "toxic"-ing me. Then a real enemy comes by and I can't lock on to him because the game wants to lock on to the fucking flies. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Blight Town is awful and not even close to "hard but fair". It's bullshit.

knitoe

I Push Fat Kids said:
What's the catch? My stat boosts looked wonderful..
The catch is bosses, not sure about regular monsters, seem to do a certain % of your life per hit no matter what you have equipped. So, it's better to use other rings.

WEGGLES said:

Found the shortcut.

Got swarmed by flies.

They keep poisoning me. Then "toxic"-ing me. Then a real enemy comes by and I can't lock on to him because the game wants to lock on to the fucking flies. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Do it slower, it's not that bad. Equip the spider shield and bring some purple moss with you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
WEGGLES said:

Lol... it's hilarious to me how many different areas of the game people will have this complaint about. The world feels so different to every player depending on their style.

For my part, I think everything thus far I've encountered feels quite fair. I haven't reached what seems to be the #1 most hated area so far though.

WEGGLES

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
Do it slower, it's not that bad. Equip the spider shield and bring some purple moss with you.
It's not the poison that's the issue. It's a pain in the ass... it's locking on to the stupid flies when I want to lock on to... say... an actual threat. then they turn me around and I get killed. Very annoying.

Hawkian said:
Lol... it's hilarious to me how many different areas of the game people will have this complaint about. The world feels so different to every player depending on their style.

For my part, I think everything thus far I've encountered feels quite fair. I haven't reached what seems to be the #1 most hated area so far though.

For the most part, everything else feels fair besides this... Blight town is just awful. Confusing layout. TERRIBLE (single digit) frame rate. Status effects. It's dark/hard to see. Stuff that limits your mobility. Annoying flies that fuck up the lock on. etc. etc.

All combine to make something annoying... not challenging.

OR4B3.jpg

jzk6M.jpg

150k5.jpg

9UGli.jpg

Septimius

Augemitbutter said:
[IM]http://i.imgur.com/OR4B3.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://i.imgur.com/jzk6M.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://i.imgur.com/150k5.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/9UGli.jpg[/IMG]

Wow. Where's this from?

Ken

Augemitbutter said:
http://i.imgur.com/OR4B3.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Was in Anor Londo and the mimic dropped that for me. I was curious as to what the curse was and equipped it, and got immediately summoned to the Darkroot Forest. The curse apparently is a health drain. ]:

[QUOTE=Septimius]Wow. Where's this from?[/QUOTE]

Random drop off of a mimic.

knitoe

Damn you Titanite Slab. Drop already. Been farming Darkwraiths with 30 humanity & ring and must of gotten 100 Chunks, but no Slab. Only time I got one was from making it through the area to kill the Boss and by miracle one dropped. Maybe, it is true that drop rate is much higher if the boss of the area was still alive. I just want to finish my Elite Armor Set +10. Need 3 more slabs.

patsu

rogerroger22 said:
I had fun rushing around trying to find the Necromancer - at one point I think I had a train of like 8 skeletons on me. Ran into a room, broke a wall, jumped down into a big pit - dodging skeletons on the ground, dodging archer skeletons trying to pick me off - scrambling past a giant skeleton, up a hallway - finally finding him. Taking him down and then managing to successfully dispatch the incoming train behind me - was probably one of my more hectic moments in the game, and managed to pull it off. Was a bit of a rush.

You should have taped it !

test_account

XP-39C²
Ken said:
Use the cracked black orb, not a normal cracked red orb (that's for invading other real players) you picked up from the Firekeeper.
Ah ok, thanks :) By the way, i guess i need to be in human form to do it? I'm running low on humanity, only got 2 humanity left.

BigAT

So I'm currently at Crystal Caves and I'm looking for weapon advice. I'm currently using a Lightning Spear +4 from Sen's Fortress and while it's alright enough, I feel like there has got to be a better option out there. Any advice on what I should try and go after? My build is primarily focused on STR and END.

LukeSmith

WEGGLES said:

Found the shortcut.

Got swarmed by flies.

Blight Town is trivialized by the Rusted Ring and the back door entrance (Drakes' Cave). Upper part has some good stuff (Iaito). I had a bad night in Blight Town a few days ago, too.

GJS

knitoe said:
Damn you Titanite Slab. Drop already. Been farming Darkwraiths with 30 humanity & ring and must of gotten 100 Chunks, but no Slab. Only time I got one was from making it through the area to kill the Boss and by miracle one dropped. Maybe, it is true that drop rate is much higher if the boss of the area was still alive. I just want to finish my Elite Armor Set +10. Need 3 more slabs.
That's just how chance and drop tables work, don't fall for thinking other things influence it. Someone somewhere will get lucky and get slabs fairly consistently, whilst someone else will never get one.

KAOz

Short bus special
BeeDog said:
Yes he's fast; as soon as you put a wee bit of distance between yourself and him, he does his running attack where he puts the hammer down and chases you. It feels like you can't do anything since the tracking of that attack is so ridiculous; if you try to cast a spell, you pretty much always get hit.

Take a good extra shield with you, specially if you have good endurance. I would suggest Eagle +10 or higher (preferably 15). Then just block his running, he can't do shit, he'll run into you like you're a wall.
Then when he let's go, strafe around him, Crystal Shield his ass. Repeat. If he does the jump, move away backwards, and be ready to Crystal Shield him again since he has a slight downtime when rising up.

sixghost

LukeSmith said:
Blight Town is trivialized by the Rusted Ring and the back door entrance (Drakes' Cave). Upper part has some good stuff (Iaito). I had a bad night in Blight Town a few days ago, too.
This.

HIGHLY recommend going back to the Undead Asylum to get the Rusted Iron Ring then using the Drake's entrance to finish Blighttown. It's a 10 minute affair doing that.
Augemitbutter said:
[IM]http://i.imgur.com/OR4B3.jpg[/IMG]

http://i.imgur.com/jzk6M.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/150k5.jpg/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9UGli.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Thanks for posting that, fucking awesome. I bet that speeds up farming a ton. It basically triples your Item Find permanently.

Kyoufu

Spider Shield is the only must have item for Blighttown. Rusted Ring is useful but you're really not going to be in the swamp for long.

Speevy

Banned
I'm so mad at myself for this Smough/Ornstein fight. I have an axe that carves these guys like a turkey, but I keep getting killed for one reason or another.

I guess I just don't have the patience for a long fight.

Soul-boosting questions:

1) If you wear 2 covetous silver serpent rings, do the effects stack? (I don't have 2 to test)

2) Is there a spell that gives additional souls per kill like in Demon's Souls?

Leunam

Kyoufu said:
Spider Shield is the only must have item for Blighttown. Rusted Ring is useful but you're really not going to be in the swamp for long.

Glad I stumbled into Valley of Drakes and grabbed it completely by accident.

Speevy

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
1) If you wear 2 covetous silver serpent rings, do the effects stack? (I don't have 2 to test)
?

You mean like a super high chance of discovering an item? I wouldn't think so.

Oooo I feel so good. Didn't know how easy it was to get the Drake Sword. Now I can replace my Battle Axe +5 with something that will grow way stronger.

knitoe said:

Yeah, I gave up on this, fuck that drop rate.

knitoe

MomoPufflet said:
Soul-boosting questions:

You can only wear one ring of each type.

No spell that give you more souls.

Kyoufu

MomoPufflet said:
Soul-boosting questions:

Rings don't stack. Don't think there is a spell that sucks souls or anything.

Zeliard

Speevy said:
You mean like a super high chance of discovering an item? I wouldn't think so.

You're thinking of the Gold ones. The Silver ones increase souls gained by 20%.

And no I don't think the same rings stack. But two non-identical items that do similar things do stack, i.e. Cloranthy ring and other stamina regen boosts, Ring of Favor & Protection with Havel's Ring, etc.

Speevy

Banned
evilromero said:
Oooo I feel so good. Didn't know how easy it was to get the Drake Sword. Now I can replace my Battle Axe +5 with something that will grow way stronger.

Except that it doesn't. Drake Sword is useless past a certain point in the game because it doesn't scale.

It's fast, so use it for now, but once you get a scaled weapon, it'll easily outdo your drake sword, and a lightning weapon will make it look downright paltry.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Ken said:
Was in Anor Londo and the mimic dropped that for me. I was curious as to what the curse was and equipped it, and got immediately summoned to the Darkroot Forest. The curse apparently is a health drain. ]:

Random drop off of a mimic.

You mind sharing which Mimic?

There aren't that many in the game and they absolutely DON'T drop from the ones in Anor/Duke's (If I'm remembering correctly)

FINALBOSS

Banned
knitoe said:

According to the guide, it's an S drop. :eek:

Got the Xanthous armor yesterday (on my 2nd char), his notched whip, and I got that Crown of Dusk. If you're a sorc/pyro, you'd do your best to wear it. One of the few items in the game that boosts magic. It also looks kinda cool on my black dude.

I'm wearing it with Ornstein's armor.

Quick questions:

Why is everyone wanting to be summoned for the Gaping Dragon?

Does that farm spoof still work right outside the 20k soul door?

Where is the nearest bonfire in Blightown once you enter?

Kyoufu

FINALBOSS said:
You mind sharing which Mimic?

There aren't that many in the game and they absolutely DON'T drop from the ones in Anor/Duke's (If I'm remembering correctly)

They do, you just have to be lucky since it's a super rare drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom